2015-2016 Brown University (Alpert) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an e-mail saying my file is now completed and under review :xf:!!!!

Good Luck everyone!!!
When did you submit? Still radio silence on my end :/

Members don't see this ad.

also is that different then what you got the day you submitted? I got an email right away saying "Your application to Alpert Medical School is now complete."

08/01-When I submitted the secondary I got an email saying "Thank you for submitting your Secondary Application to Alpert Medical School."
Then a day later I received a different e-mail saying
08/03"Your application to Alpert Medical School is now complete.
If you are selected to be interviewed, we will contact you via email. If you have any questions, please email our office at[email protected].
Sincerely,..."

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
I am applying to this school. My first choice. Im nothing special though. :(. I just like to study and go to church. I dont know why med schools are so bent on EC's

I am applying to this school. My first choice. Im nothing special though. :(. I just like to study and go to church. I dont know why med schools are so bent on EC's

Well, I mean the whole point of focusing on ECs is because medical schools want diverse, well-rounded classes. Our life experiences and interests outside the classroom affect our roles in medicine immensely!

Reactions: 2 users
Well, I mean the whole point of focusing on ECs is because medical schools want diverse, well-rounded classes. Our life experiences and interests outside the classroom affect our roles in medicine immensely!
that's the thing. I like to go to Church, isnt that enough? That's how i was raised. the fact that i dont do sports or play musical instruments shouldnt put me at a disadvantage.

that's the thing. I like to go to Church, isnt that enough? That's how i was raised. the fact that i dont do sports or play musical instruments shouldnt put me at a disadvantage.

ECs don't just have to be sports or music instruments. I'm sure you were heavily involved in your church activities. That would also count as ECs. Literally anything you do outside of academics can be considered ECs.

I was heavily involved with my church and fellowship during college and did a lot of extracurricular opportunities through that ie. Worship team, Bible study small group leader, homeless outreach, Thailand mission trip, Sunday school teacher, etc. so I'm sure you've had some similar ECs through church :)

Reactions: 1 users
for the course competencies on the secondary, do we only put what is listed on their site as required? Or do we also put in recommended? Also, do we add in the bio labs and chem labs?

for the course competencies on the secondary, do we only put what is listed on their site as required? Or do we also put in recommended? Also, do we add in the bio labs and chem labs?
Just the minimum to fulfil the required.

Okay what about the labs?
I can't remember if it says eight credits or two courses. Just meet the minimum requirement. I emailed them and asked this exact question. Let me look for the reply and I'll post it here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I fully understand the question "what are you aspirations for your medical practice?"
Does this mean, what you want to do, essentially? How did everyone answer this?

Sounds like no one has received any word from Brown yet? Complete on 7.23 and eagerly waiting to hear back!

Found the email just now to complete the secondary. Received on 7/6 :( Wondering if I should bother submitting my secondary to this school?? I have lower stats, but extensive experience with diversity growing up in Hawaii and a desire for primary care
OOS
29 MCAT (retake; raised exam from 25 MCAT)
3.79CGPA
3.75BCPM
3.86 AO GPA
Chemistry Degree

Complete it if you can afford it and if you like the school, and maybe let them know that you just got the email? (Also, the duplicate message on all these threads at once is not appreciated.)

Complete it if you can afford it and if you like the school, and maybe let them know that you just got the email? (Also, the duplicate message on all these threads at once is not appreciated.)

+1 not the right thread for asking what chances are

Complete 7/29 for the MD/ScM program. LizzyM 72, good upward GPA trend (2.8 freshman -> 3.96 senior) and a lot of clinical, volunteering, and leadership. Light on the research. Hope this helps!

Very excited and honored for the opportunity; my first of the cycle. Hoping for the best for my SDN peers.

Reactions: 16 users
Complete 7/29 for the MD/ScM program. LizzyM 72, good upward GPA trend (2.8 freshman -> 3.96 senior) and a lot of clinical, volunteering, and leadership. Light on the research. Hope this helps!

Very excited and honored for the opportunity; my first of the cycle. Hoping for the best for my SDN peers.
Common wisdom seems to be that if you land an interview at Brown, you have a very high chance of being accepted. Congratulations!

Common wisdom seems to be that if you land an interview at Brown, you have a very high chance of being accepted. Congratulations!
79.38% chance to be exact :). If you are out of state... according to US News. 231 offers out of 291 interviews.

The ScM program sounds AMAZING. Good luck with the interview!
If anyone OOS with IIs wants tips on where to eat/what to see in RI, pm me.

Does being in state even matter lol?
I don't have the IS % on hand, but I think there are so few people that apply in state that the class is made up of 90% OOS applicants.

I don't have the IS % on hand, but I think there are so few people that apply in state that the class is made up of 90% OOS applicants.
RI has 1/10 the population of NYC. There just arent enough people to apply!

Congrats on the II!! Sounds like you're the first one to get an II from Brown for this season? Hoping i hear some good news from brown soon. Complete 7.23

Thank you very much for the good wishes and congratulations.

Congrats on the II!! Sounds like you're the first one to get an II from Brown for this season? Hoping i hear some good news from brown soon. Complete 7.23

I haven't seen anything about other II's, so excepting non-SDNers I may be one of the first. And good luck to you my friend.

I signed up for the first slot (9/24) so I'll be sure to return afterwards with feedback and tips!

Reactions: 4 users
Secondary received this morning! Really excited about this school!

I wonder if any MD applicants have gotten IIs. I guess SDN isn't the whole universe.

I'm pretty sure the ScM program pulls from the MD pool, so I think evansh's II counts as an MD II.

So much silence....when is Brown gonna start making moves?!o_O:bored::bucktooth:

IIs. Heard a couple days ago. Wasn't expecting anything this early. Are most schools giving interviews already?

98% of schools have sent out interviews already. A lot of them started in July.

Here is the list of first day each school sent out IIs this year:

June

University of Texas Medical Branch - June 24th
New Jersey Medical School - June 29th (EDP)

July
Pitt - July 7
Texas A&M - July 7
University of Nebraska - July 8 (EDP)
University of Chicago - July 13
George Washington - July 14
Texas Tech - El Paso - July 14
Tulane - July 14
Jefferson - July 14
West Virginia University - July 16
Georgetown - July 16
University of Louisville - July 16
UC Irvine - July 16
Duke - July 17
Mercer - July 18
Quinnipiac - July 20
University of Florida - July 20
University of Texas at San Antonio - July 20
New York University - July 21
University of Virginia - July 23
Case Western - July 24
Virginia Commonwealth University - July 24
The Commonwealth Medical College - July 27
Southern Illinois University - July 27
UC Davis - July 27
Baylor - July 28
Oakland University (Beaumont) - July 28
University of Michigan - July 28
University of Southern California (Keck) - July 28
University of Miami (Miller) - July 29
University of Rochester - July 30
Hofstra - Northshore LIJ - July 30
ECU - July 30
SUNY Buffalo (University at Buffalo) - July 30
The Ohio State University - July 31

August
UC San Diego - August 3
Rosalind Franklin - August 3
Stony Brook - August 3
SUNY Upstate - August 3
University of Minnesota - August 3
Virginia Tech Carilion - August 4
Indiana University - August 4
University of Central Florida - August 5
Albany Medical College - August 5
Boston University - August 5
Wayne State - August 6
Wake Forest - August 7
Stanford - August 7
University of Kentucky - August 7
University of Cincinnati - August 7
University of Vermont - August 7
Creighton - August 7
NJMS - August 7
Johns Hopkins - August 6
Loyola University - August 10
Florida International University - August 11
Vanderbilt - August 11
Brown (Alpert - MSc) - August 12
Charles Drew/UCLA - August 12
Florida Atlantic University - August 12
University of Wisconsin (OOS only) - August 12
University of Iowa Carver College- August 13
Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai - August 14
Yale - August 14
Weill Cornell Medical College - August 14
Mayo - August 14
University of Arizona - Tucson - August 14
SUNY Downstate - August 17
Morehouse - August 18
Saint Louis University - August 18
Rush - August 18
University of Arizona (Phoenix) - August 18
New York Medical College - August 19
Albert Einstein - August 19
University of North Carolina - August 19
Northwestern - August 20
Penn - August 24
Tufts - August 24
UT Southwestern - August 24
University of Illinois at Chicago- August 25
University of Washington - August 25
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/interview-invite-thread-2015-2016.1147882/page-4

Yikes. That makes me nervous. I haven't heard from any other school.

It is true that >90% of SCHOOLS have sent out interviews. It does not mean that 98% of INTERVIEWS have been sent out....not terrifying at all lol.

It is true that >90% of SCHOOLS have sent out interviews. It does not mean that 98% of INTERVIEWS have been sent out....not terrifying at all lol.
Right...that's what I was clarifying in response to another poster's "Yikes. That makes me nervous".
Relax people.

Alas the importance of verbal...lol. I'm done, no point!

Alas the importance of verbal...lol. I'm done, no point!
1. Don't be a dick
2. You realize there was no disagreement between what we posted, right?

Someone posts that almost every school has given out IIs--> freaks another poster out-->Rachiie posts to chill b/c that doesn't mean most IIs have been given out--> you post to chill b/c that doesn't mean most IIs have been given out.

Perhaps I should have clarified more in my first post, but after my second post there shouldn't have been any confusion and definitely not after my third lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
1. Don't be a dick
2. You realize there was no disagreement between what we posted, right?

Someone posts that almost every school has given out IIs--> freaks another poster out-->Rachiie posts to chill b/c that doesn't mean most IIs have been given out--> you post to chill b/c that doesn't mean most IIs have been given out.

Perhaps I should have clarified more in my first post, but after my second post there shouldn't have been any confusion and definitely not after my third lol.

Your perception is your reality. Enuff.

Cool dismissiveness=always effective, especially with patients.

I want love from Brown sooooo bad. They had that issue getting secondaries out earlier in the season which is probably the cause of the delay in IIs (I hope).

? I didn't say anything about the number that each school sent out, I just said that 98% of school have sent out II which is fact. Dude got an II at a school that accepts 85% of the people they interview, he's golden.

Thanks. I'm also a woman. :D But yeah after putting into perspective that only like 10-30% have been sent out I feel a lot better. I'll stop checking my email compulsively now haha.