2015-2016 Brown University (Alpert) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...and just got off the waitlist, too!
Congrats! Seems like both of you got calls later in the day.. Not like I am staring at my phone as I type this or anything...

Members don't see this ad.

This might be a little ignorant, but... When you send in an additional LOR, how do you do it? Do you ask the LOR writer to send it directly to the admissions office? Also, do you let your LOR writer know that it's because you're on a wait-list you want to get off of?

Thanks! :)

Yeah! It was actually super easy. I asked my writer if he'd be willing to write something because, at the time, I had interviewed but hadn't received acceptances at a couple schools I liked a lot. I may have mentioned to him that I was waitlisted/waiting to hear post-interview...can't recall. I also gave him the emails of the admissions offices so he could send the letter directly. It helps that he's in the medical field, so he kind of knew the process, but yeah...was easy. Feel free to msg me if you have any other questions!

Yeah! It was actually super easy. I asked my writer if he'd be willing to write something because, at the time, I had interviewed but hadn't received acceptances at a couple schools I liked a lot. I may have mentioned to him that I was waitlisted/waiting to hear post-interview...can't recall. I also gave him the emails of the admissions offices so he could send the letter directly. It helps that he's in the medical field, so he kind of knew the process, but yeah...was easy. Feel free to msg me if you have any other questions!

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! One more question -- is this an entirely new LOR writer? Or did he write one of your original LOR's that you sent to the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the detailed answer! One more question -- is this an entirely new LOR writer? Or did he write one of your original LOR's that you sent to the school?
Hi! It was an entirely new LOR writer. A current Brown med student told me that sending a totally new letter was entirely acceptable and potentially helpful, so I took his advice!

Hi! It was an entirely new LOR writer. A current Brown med student told me that sending a totally new letter was entirely acceptable and potentially helpful, so I took his advice!

Thanks friend :)

Reactions: 1 user
Any more wait list movement? Sent a LOI earlier this month and was told that movement has been slow so far, and that last year the last person off of the wait list was informed at the beginning of June. Still holding out hope!

FYI, I was admitted off the waitlist, but I withdrew a couple days ago. Hopefully that spot goes to one of you guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Apologies for being at the wrong place at the wrong time yet again, but does Alpert Med school give preference to students coming from Brown Undergrad? I.e., are most matriculating students coming in from PLME and Brown Undergrad in general?

Apologies for being at the wrong place at the wrong time yet again, but does Alpert Med school give preference to students coming from Brown Undergrad? I.e., are most matriculating students coming in from PLME and Brown Undergrad in general?
Short answer is no.
There will be 40-60 PLME students and 0-5ish Brown undergrads in a given class of 140.

Hi all,

Accepted off the waitlist a bit a go. Was wondering if anyone has a class schedule or a general idea of how the week is split during the first year!

Thanks in advance!

Also accepted off the waitlist the other day, excited to go here!

They do have some required PBL. Most lectures are not required and all should be recorded. Current students chime in! Loved the vibe here when I visited!

hey! I hope everyone's having a great first year :)

can anyone speak to how Alpert is w/regard to giving out any merit-based scholarships? # of them/typical denominations/etc. any info would be useful