2015-2016 Brown University (Alpert) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else having issues getting in contact with Brown? Every time I call the number it goes straight to voicemail.

Members don't see this ad.

Just called their admissions office. They were able to look into my application and confirm that they've received my AMCAS, but they're having some technical difficulties on their side. They anticipate they'll send out the secondary by the end of this week.

The lady that answered my call was very nice and helpful, so I wouldn't hesitate to call if you need to!
what number did you call? I can't seem to get in contact with them.

Anyone else having issues getting in contact with Brown? Every time I call the number it goes straight to voicemail.
I had a similar problem. You think it would be frowned upon if I just walk over there? Their building is a ~7 min walk up the street. So tempted... :ninja:

Members don't see this ad :)
I called that number ^^ too and spoke to someone right away.

Does anyone have information on how competitive the MD-ScM program is? It sounds like a good fit for me, but I don't want to hurt my chances of acceptance.

Does anyone have information on how competitive the MD-ScM program is? It sounds like a good fit for me, but I don't want to hurt my chances of acceptance.
It's very competitive (only ~27 spots) but they only pull from the pool of accepted MD applicants so supposedly it won't hurt your chances for MD.

Anyone else having trouble with the question about your future? :unsure:

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else still not have a secondary? I was verified over 3 weeks ago

I would recommend calling their administrative office Monday. I had a similar problem with Yale, and it turns out my email had filtered out their message before it reached my inbox.

for the MD-ScM prompt on fixing the US healthcare system, are they talking broadly or do they want specific answers with specific evidence (ie citing things?).

I feel like I could only do it broadly w/o citing things since it's only 2000 characters. I want to talk about multiple things but there also just doesn't seem to be enough room to mention it all. So I might talk about just 3?

Anyone else have inputs?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I still didn't get one either, and I've been verified since late June. I'm going to try calling them on Monday.

I didn't get a secondary either but I called them last week but they said they would try to send the secondary out before the end of the week. Hopefully we get them monday!

Last edited:
How long were your answers about your aspirations?

It's very competitive (only ~27 spots) but they only pull from the pool of accepted MD applicants so supposedly it won't hurt your chances for MD.

So if you don't get accepted into MD-ScM, you're still a viable MD candidate?

Also, it sounds like this program has a lot of the same themes as an MPH. Anyone have thoughts about doing this versus an MD/MPH?

(Sorry of these questions have been asked already!)

Still no secondary as of today. Emailed their office. Fingers crossed.

for the MD-ScM prompt on fixing the US healthcare system, are they talking broadly or do they want specific answers with specific evidence (ie citing things?).

I feel like I could only do it broadly w/o citing things since it's only 2000 characters. I want to talk about multiple things but there also just doesn't seem to be enough room to mention it all. So I might talk about just 3?

Anyone else have inputs?

I'm not going to cite specific evidence with only 2,000 char. I'm also planning on attacking just one aspect right now, since they said "single project" in the prompt. I'm tempted to mention other things, but it seems they want a focused argument on one aspect of a reform.

I'm not going to cite specific evidence with only 2,000 char. I'm also planning on attacking just one aspect right now, since they said "single project" in the prompt. I'm tempted to mention other things, but it seems they want a focused argument on one aspect of a reform.

Yeah I ended up doing something similar - thanks for responding!

Yeah I ended up doing something similar - thanks for responding!

No problem!

If anyone else wrote this, how political were you? I know my views on this issue, but I also appreciate the danger in communicating strong views to adcoms, in case one's opinion clashes with theirs.

Also, do they want just the bare minimum they ask for? It says 1 organic chemistry course, but if I took 2 semesters and another semester of orgo lab, does that all go in or just the first semester?

There's no place for course name even though it's in the instructions, so I guess we just include course number?

Did you end up finding out the answers to these questions?

So I have a (bad) question. I've already gotten three IIs to schools I really like, and have yet to hear back from the 18 other schools I've already submitted secondaries to. Brown isn't really a school I get hyped about, but I like the program enough to have warranted a primary. I'm a bit low on funds (read: currently $0) but I don't want to remove a school from my list and then regret it if I get f***ed later on.

Should I submit the secondary? Just want opinions, not trying to be a tool.

So I have a (bad) question. I've already gotten three IIs to schools I really like, and have yet to hear back from the 18 other schools I've already submitted secondaries to. Brown isn't really a school I get hyped about, but I like the program enough to have warranted a primary. I'm a bit low on funds (read: currently $0) but I don't want to remove a school from my list and then regret it if I get f***ed later on.

Depends how comfortable you are with your stats (GPA, MCAT), I guess. I'm making similar decisions about the late secondaries I'm getting too, but Brown is one of my top choices so it's clear for me lol

Depends how comfortable you are with your stats (GPA, MCAT), I guess. I'm making similar decisions about the late secondaries I'm getting too, but Brown is one of my top choices so it's clear for me lol

My stats are good enough, and the IIs I've gotten are good enough, that I don't think I'll get screwed over during the cycle I'm just not one to take risks like that. But it basically comes down to the financials for me.

Personally I don't think you should. My view on applying is to apply to those schools that I would actually consider going to, which it seems like is not the case for you and Brown. You also applied to many other schools and got IIs from schools you really like. I'm sure you will get into at least one of those. I don't that you are going to end up screwing yourself over by not applying. Don't forget travel expenses, those are also pretty costly. But at the end of the day, it's whatever you feel best about.

Hey everyone!

For the secondary question :
"What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself?"

For the second part "Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself?" are you guys reading this question as where you'd imagine to be professionally only or and personally(family personal interests and etc.. )?

Sorry if sounds like a dumb question , I am just burnt out at this point and I am over analyzing everything I read and write and second guessing myself

Hey everyone!

For the secondary question :
"What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself?"

For the second part "Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself?" are you guys reading this question as where you'd imagine to be professionally only or and personally(family personal interests and etc.. )?

Sorry if sounds like a dumb question , I am just burnt out at this point and I am over analyzing everything I read and write and second guessing myself

I dont remember having that question... :shrug:

All submitted today! Good luck y'all! :)
I'm excited for all of us!

Lol, did anyone else only have about 1400 characters for the question about our future in 15 years?

Submitted Amcas 15 July, still no secondary.

- Sigh -

My school's PHA office basically told us that if we submitted in July or later it would take around 1.5 to 2 months to get secondary requests because of how backlogged AMCAS gets in the verification process.

My school's PHA office basically told us that if we submitted in July or later it would take around 1.5 to 2 months to get secondary requests because of how backlogged AMCAS gets in the verification process.

Thanks for the heads up. I received secondaries from a few other schools and was wondering what was going on. Makes sense now.

Thanks for the heads up. I received secondaries from a few other schools and was wondering what was going on. Makes sense now.

Well, Brown is also notoriously slow. So, take that with a grain of salt. A ton of schools are super fast (like Cornell, for instance) but Brown is about as fast as a drowsy slug.

Well, Brown is also notoriously slow. So, take that with a grain of salt. A ton of schools are super fast (like Cornell, for instance) but Brown is about as fast as a drowsy slug.

Can confirm.

Took them about a month to resolve their "technical difficulties" for sending out secondaries...

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an e-mail saying my file is now completed and under review :xf:!!!!

Good Luck everyone!!!