2015-2016 Brown University (Alpert) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting MS1 here in a couple months. Chose Brown over 9 other schools. Here to answer any questions about the application year at Brown!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting MS1 here in a couple months. Chose Brown over 9 other schools. Here to answer any questions about the application year at Brown!
Thank you so much for answering questions!

I see on the MSAR that fewer than 4% of OOS applicants get interviewed here. That number is really scary! It alone would have totally turned me off to applying except that I am super interested in the MD/ScM program. I would love to get your thoughts on these stats. Do you know how applicants are selected for an interview? Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users
Is Brown not friendly towards community college (CA) prereqs? Orange checks on MSAR...

Thank you so much for answering questions!

I see on the MSAR that fewer than 4% of OOS applicants get interviewed here. That number is really scary! It alone would have totally turned me off to applying except that I am super interested in the MD/ScM program. I would love to get your thoughts on these stats. Do you know how applicants are selected for an interview? Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Brown is very selective about whom they choose to interview--but, if you make it to interview day, you have an extremely high chance of being accepted. They accept something like 250 out of 300 people they interview each year. Your personal statement, AMCAS application and letters of recommendation REALLY COUNT here (much more so than top grades and MCAT scores).

It seems like you will have the best chance of being picked to be interviewed if you are a non-traditional student who has accomplished interesting things in both the medical and the non-medical realms. At my interview day, we had a stand-up comic who was also an EMT, an HIV researcher who is also a professional dancer, etc. So my advice would be to play up what makes you special outside of the health sector. If you can tie it to why you'd make a good physician, you will have a great shot at Brown.

Reactions: 3 users
Is Brown not friendly towards community college (CA) prereqs? Orange checks on MSAR...

That's a good question and you should call the admissions office for a definite answer. At my interview day, most applicants came from top undergrads, and all from 4-year private schools.

How are applicants from prestigious public research universities regarded? ie in the Top20 global ranking

How are applicants from prestigious public research universities regarded? ie in the Top20 global ranking

Unless it's in the top 5, they will probably toss your application out.
/s

Sorry, but that's a pointless, humble-brag question.

Reactions: 5 users
This is generally regarded as a low-yield school, right?
Are they friendly to OOS, CA in particular? How does Brown compare with Tufts and BU in terms of accepting CA apps?

This is generally regarded as a low-yield school, right?
Are they friendly to OOS, CA in particular? How does Brown compare with Tufts and BU in terms of accepting CA apps?
Are Tufts and BU generally more friendly to CA residents than other med schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless it's in the top 5, they will probably toss your application out.
/s

Sorry, but that's a pointless, humble-brag question.

I really don't think it is, I think my question was fine to ask esp. in follow up to other people's. As someone who went to the nation's top prep school and turned down offers from 3 Ivy's for the opportunities at my research university - I wish you the best of luck, but personally I really hope I don't end up in a class full of people with your attitude.

If anyone else has feedback (minus Dr.Retractor's attitude) that would be wonderful! :)

Hi, do you have any idea about the chances for non-Canadian international students? Or do you know any non-Canadian international students in the school?

I really don't think it is, I think my question was fine to ask esp. in follow up to other people's. As someone who went to the nation's top prep school and turned down offers from 3 Ivy's for the opportunities at my research university - I wish you the best of luck, but personally I really hope I don't end up in a class full of people with your attitude.

If anyone else has feedback (minus Dr.Retractor's attitude) that would be wonderful! :)

:thumbdown:

Reactions: 4 users

So sorry about your hardships in life, I really am. Hopefully you don't end up in a class full of students that dislike arrogant people who are obsessed with their own accomplishments, because that would really suck for you.

Does anyone know if Brown's stats include the students it takes from its combined BS/MD program?

So sorry about your hardships in life, I really am. Hopefully you don't end up in a class full of students that dislike arrogant people who are obsessed with their own accomplishments, because that would really suck for you.

Wow this is getting stupider by the minute.... Don't start things - if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all. I probably overreacted, but your first reply was really unnecessary and added absolutely nothing to this thread. Maybe other people at public research schools have my question too - did you consider that?

Wow this is getting stupider by the minute.... Don't start things - if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all. I probably overreacted, but your first reply was really unnecessary and added absolutely nothing to this thread. Maybe other people at public research schools have my question too - did you consider that?

No, I don't think you understand my perspective. You asked, in essence, how Brown would look at a school in the top 20. This is a question that (in my opinion) was asked for the sole purpose of bragging that you went to a top 20 school, since anyone with some common sense (which I would hope includes people that went to public research universities) would know that going to a top 20 undergrad can only help you get into med school and adcoms view applicants from these schools favorably. I strongly dislike people who brag, especially when the bragging is so badly disguised. As a result, I reacted in a mean fashion and based on the rest of your posts in this thread I'm going to stand by my attitude.

In that case I apologize - it wasn't my intention to brag, but to give info that might help people answer without identifying myself. Also sarcasm is hard to make out in a forum like this :p

In that case I apologize - it wasn't my intention to brag, but to give info that might help people answer without identifying myself. Also sarcasm is hard to make out in a forum like this :p

"/s" means the above was sarcasm...didn't realize that may not have been clear.

Thank you for your time! Brown is a wonderful institution and I would love to be considered this application cycle. I have a few questions:

1. Can you tell us how you came to make your decision in choosing Brown over the other schools?
2. I have been informed that Brown likes individuals with extensive teaching experience and those who are involved in the arts. From what you know about Brown, can you tell us why Brown is partial to these particular experiences?
3. Beyond submitting all the required materials, did you do anything special during the admissions process that you feel was particularly effective in getting you noticed by the admissions office? For example, did you send updates, hand-written thank you notes, letter(s) of interest/intent AND, did you get a response from the admissions office other than "thank you, we've added this update to your profile"?
4. How has your experience been with the financial aid office? Are they responsive? Are they transparent about the cost, of not just first year of medical school, but the entire four years?

Thank you for your insights. The fact that you have been accepted but are still willing to come back here and answer questions really says a lot about the people who decide to pursue medicine at Alpert.

From Brown's website:

We require either one composite recommendation from your undergraduate school’s premedical committee or three individual letters of recommendation from your premedical or research advisor, professors at the institution where you last studied, or other individuals of your choice. If your school prepares a letter packet, we will accept the letter packet in lieu of a premedical committee letter for your application. You may submit more than three letters during the course of the application cycle.

What does "You may submit more than three letters during the course of the application cycle" mean? Can we not just submit 4 recommendations initially?

@ellidn I also went to a top research institution that is globally ranked (we may have gone to the same school). No one cares, including adcoms. Let your experiences and accomplishments speak for themselves, and don't expect your school's name to speak for you.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know if Brown has a tendency to produce MDs in certain specialties? Or fo example... does it have a primary care focus at all?

Is it worth it to apply here as a reapplicant, CA resident with high stats from a whatever school?!

Hey all - question

What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself?

this is one of the secondary essays from previous years - does anyone know what it's asking?? Like what specialty you imagine yourself in? that's how I would have answered it at first, but now looking at the question more carefully, it's asking what are your aspirations for your medical practice?!

is it asking how you will run your practice, like what policies you will have?

Hey all - question

What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself?

this is one of the secondary essays from previous years - does anyone know what it's asking?? Like what specialty you imagine yourself in? that's how I would have answered it at first, but now looking at the question more carefully, it's asking what are your aspirations for your medical practice?!

is it asking how you will run your practice, like what policies you will have?
My take on this question: Brown is trying to get at your understanding of how medicine in practiced the US. If you have a specialty you are interested in, you are probably best served by focusing on that and making your essay as specific as possible. The key would be to make sure that anything you are claiming can be backed up with evidence. For example, if you say you want to be a PCP and you've only shadowed a urologist and neurosurgeon, that probably won't bode well.

My take on this question: Brown is trying to get at your understanding of how medicine in practiced the US. If you have a specialty you are interested in, you are probably best served by focusing on that and making your essay as specific as possible. The key would be to make sure that anything you are claiming can be backed up with evidence. For example, if you say you want to be a PCP and you've only shadowed a urologist and neurosurgeon, that probably won't bode well.

Hmm, but how would talking about what specialty you imagine yourself in speak to how well you understand how US healthcare works?

Actually, so I'm thinking about talking about how I'm interested in incorporating policy into my medical career. BUT I just realized Brown has an MD-ScM option for those wanting to go into primary care and policy... What if I wanted to do non-PC and policy - do I still select this option on the secondary? Or should I just discuss how/why I want to incorporate policy into my medical career with the above question?

Hmm, but how would talking about what specialty you imagine yourself in speak to how well you understand how US healthcare works?

Actually, so I'm thinking about talking about how I'm interested in incorporating policy into my medical career. BUT I just realized Brown has an MD-ScM option for those wanting to go into primary care and policy... What if I wanted to do non-PC and policy - do I still select this option on the secondary? Or should I just discuss how/why I want to incorporate policy into my medical career with the above question?
I am applying to the MD/ScM program, and it is my understanding that they are interested in attracting people who want to be PCPs but others can apply too (http://www.brown.edu/academics/medi...opulation-medicine/frequently-asked-questions):

Q. I'm interested in population medicine, but not in primary care. Can I still enroll in this program?

A. Yes. Although our goal is to graduate more primary care physicians, we understand that students' interests change over time. Health care will need physicians trained in population medicine in all specialty areas. Enrolling in this program will not put students at a disadvantage if they decide to apply to specialty fields other than primary care.

It also seems to be more pop med focused rather than policy, but worth looking into further.

I think that writing well about the type of practice you imagine for yourself says a lot about how well you understand the way medicine is practiced and where things are going in the field.

I am applying to the MD/ScM program, and it is my understanding that they are interested in attracting people who want to be PCPs but others can apply too (http://www.brown.edu/academics/medi...opulation-medicine/frequently-asked-questions):

Q. I'm interested in population medicine, but not in primary care. Can I still enroll in this program?

A. Yes. Although our goal is to graduate more primary care physicians, we understand that students' interests change over time. Health care will need physicians trained in population medicine in all specialty areas. Enrolling in this program will not put students at a disadvantage if they decide to apply to specialty fields other than primary care.

It also seems to be more pop med focused rather than policy, but worth looking into further.

I think that writing well about the type of practice you imagine for yourself says a lot about how well you understand the way medicine is practiced and where things are going in the field.

Ah okay that link is super helpful! Thanks. But one more thing - help me out here - maybe I'm just not thinking about this the same way as you (and I apologize!) - so imagine if I say I want to go into, peds. I then support this claim by giving examples of x volunteer y extra curricular, that made me interested in this. I don't see anywhere incorporate a discussion about the US healthcare system

Also, given that there is the movement away from private practices and doctors becoming "employees" of large hospital systems, makes this question...outdated?

Ah okay that link is super helpful! Thanks. But one more thing - help me out here - maybe I'm just not thinking about this the same way as you (and I apologize!) - so imagine if I say I want to go into, peds. I then support this claim by giving examples of x volunteer y extra curricular, that made me interested in this. I don't see anywhere incorporate a discussion about the US healthcare system

Also, given that there is the movement away from private practices and doctors becoming "employees" of large hospital systems, makes this question...outdated?
No, I don't think you need to actually use any evidence of your interest. I think you just need to think about your app as a whole. If you going to claim that you want to go into peds and no other part of your app supports this claim, it's not going to look good.

I think the changes in the health care system make this question as relevant as ever.

I feel like you're over thinking this. If you have a good idea of where and how you want to practice that is founded in an understanding of medicine in this country, that should be a good answer for this question. Ie. Don't say you want to be a PCP in a rural area and also practice academic medicine. That would make you sound uninformed and not reflect well on you.

I seem to get the feeling that a significant majority of students are either Brown PLMEs or Brown Alum and that they have a very strong Ivy Bias. Anyone have any thoughts about that? I'm not sure if I should apply or not

I seem to get the feeling that a significant majority of students are either Brown PLMEs or Brown Alum and that they have a very strong Ivy Bias. Anyone have any thoughts about that? I'm not sure if I should apply or not

same q

Anyone know how Brown feels about reapplicants w/ significant improvement?

Anyone know how Brown feels about reapplicants w/ significant improvement?

The numbers are what they are. 277 interviews from 8153 OOS and International Apps last year (3.3%). Unless you're in PLME, there is no golden ticket into Brown. With only 85 spots left after PLME kids matriculate, Brown can pick and choose whoever they want to accept. I think a lot of people are unaware of this, see the 3.7 GPA and 33 MCAT and then see "Ivy League" and then send in their apps.

The numbers are what they are. 277 interviews from 8153 OOS and International Apps last year (3.3%). Unless you're in PLME, there is no golden ticket into Brown. With only 85 spots left after PLME kids matriculate, Brown can pick and choose whoever they want to accept. I think a lot of people are unaware of this, see the 3.7 GPA and 33 MCAT and then see "Ivy League" and then send in their apps.
Do you mean 85 spots for interviews or for acceptances? I'm debating if I should add this to my list of med schools. 3.83 GPA and 30 MCAT.

Do you mean 85 spots for interviews or for acceptances? I'm debating if I should add this to my list of med schools. 3.83 GPA and 30 MCAT.

Neither, ~85 matriculants, probably twice as many acceptances and a few more interviews. Brown is known as a school that accepts a high percentage of people it interviews. Getting the interview is the challenging part.

After reading through last years Brown thread I got the impression that getting an interview almost guarantees you a wait list spot if not acceptance. Not sure if thats a hard and fast rule, but it seemed generally valid

After reading through last years Brown thread I got the impression that getting an interview almost guarantees you a wait list spot if not acceptance. Not sure if thats a hard and fast rule, but it seemed generally valid
I am under the same impression-very few rejections post interview

Got my secondary today! I am having issues getting past the "personal information" page though. It won't let me save as complete and continue.

Got my secondary today! I am having issues getting past the "personal information" page though. It won't let me save as complete and continue.
Questions please!

I'm having the same issue. It's making it seem like you're REQUIRED to have an alumni in the family, odd.

As for questions:

1. NOTE: Interviews occur on Thursdays and/or Fridays beginning in mid-September and finishing in February. Please detail any limitations on your availability during this time, such as international travel, work or courses. You may use the text box below to explain your limited availability. (500 char)

2. Summarize your activities during the 2015-2016 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career. (2000 char)

3. How will your unique attributes (e.g., cultural or socioeconomic background, lifestyle, work experiences) add to the overall diversity of the Alpert Medical School community? (2000 char)

4. What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself? (3000 char)

Edited for readability.

OK I even tried naming my parent as "This form won't let me submit without filling this part" and even with a "parent" the form is giving an error.

OK I even tried naming my parent as "This form won't let me submit without filling this part" and even with a "parent" the form is giving an error.
Same. just emailed them so hopefully they can fix whatever's causing this glitch!

Do you guys think it would look bad if the Future essay prompt was only 1/3 the maximum 3000 char? I don't really know how they can expect us to go into great detail...

I'm having same issues on personal page. It just keeps saying "there are errors on the page". Really frustrating, i've tried doing, and redoing everything, nothing is working! Anybody got a resolution yet!?>

I'm having same issues on personal page. It just keeps saying "there are errors on the page". Really frustrating, i've tried doing, and redoing everything, nothing is working! Anybody got a resolution yet!?>
They're working on it. They said to give it until tomorrow to be resolved