2015-2016 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how many letters did you send total, if you dont mind me asking?
I submitted four letters: 2 undergraduate and 2 graduate -- Oddly it was the two letters from my undergrad university that were flagged which, funnily enough, happen to be written by two premedical advisors :p

Members don't see this ad :)
For the statement, "I have transferred from one college to another during my undergraduate years" does community college count? This may seem silly since I think the answer is yes but I have met many people that transferred from one 4-year university to another 4-year university and was curious to know if they were talking about that.

Yes, if you transferred from a community college to a four year institution you would need to indicate that. I also know of a number of people that go from one state school to another because of better opportunities. My guess is that it is just verification, since you are required to send medical schools transcripts from every college you have attended. Hope it helps.

In previous years, Einstein typically sends you a "complete email". Basically just says your application is complete and is going to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Just for further clarification the "complete email" is different from the "secondary submitted" email. When you complete the secondary you will get an automated email indicating they have received it. After about 1-2 weeks (time will vary) you should receive another email stating that your materials are complete. I hope that made sense.

Reactions: 1 user
In previous years, Einstein typically sends you a "complete email". Basically just says your application is complete and is going to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Just for further clarification the "complete email" is different from the "secondary submitted" email. When you complete the secondary you will get an automated email indicating they have received it. After about 1-2 weeks (time will vary) you should receive another email stating that your materials are complete. I hope that made sense.

Yes thank you!

Also, another question (sorry to spam!) with the competency based requirements & under the math section: does taking calculus courses satisfy all the requirements? Or do we have to take a separate stats course as well? I didn't take a separate stats course, but all my bio labs involved stats in some way.

Also, another question (sorry to spam!) with the competency based requirements & under the math section: does taking calculus courses satisfy all the requirements? Or do we have to take a separate stats course as well? I didn't take a separate stats course, but all my bio labs involved stats in some way.

Best Answer: In regards to any admissions requirements (whether they are actual requirements or competences) I think it is always best to verify with the School of Medicine directly, either thru email or phone call.

Personal belief and link: I did manage to find a page about the course requirements and I have put the link below. Taking Calculus (differentiation and integration) is seen as a positive but according to this page you need to be able to use statistics to explain data. From your above description it seems as if your courses have given you that knowledge.

https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...pplication-procedure/course-requirements.aspx

Hope it helps

Best Answer: In regards to any admissions requirements (whether they are actual requirements or competences) I think it is always best to verify with the School of Medicine directly, either thru email or phone call.

Personal belief and link: I did manage to find a page about the course requirements and I have put the link below. Taking Calculus (differentiation and integration) is seen as a positive but according to this page you need to be able to use statistics to explain data. From your above description it seems as if your courses have given you that knowledge.

https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...pplication-procedure/course-requirements.aspx

Hope it helps

Thank you!

Verified on the 9th, haven't received a secondary yet. Should I contact them?

You could always call and just ask if they are still sending out secondaries. If Yes, ask if they go through them in order of receiving them. If Yes, then make your case.

Or, wait it out until next week. Most admissions offices I've communicated with have been nothing but friendly/helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was verified on the 8th and still have not received a secondary either.

Did you guys end up calling? Still nothing here as well.........

edit: welp, I called. chick who answered was really nice. she said they need to verify things on their end before they send and it could take "a couple of weeks" and to just be patient

Last edited:
Did you guys end up calling? Still nothing here as well.........

edit: welp, I called. chick who answered was really nice. she said they need to verify things on their end before they send and it could take "a couple of weeks" and to just be patient
Thank You!

This question is from last year, is it the same this year:

I have applied to medical school previously
(Please list schools and year of application, and tell us what actions you have taken to improve your application.)

I'm a reapplicant. Do they really want me to list all schools I applied to last year?

I'm a reapplicant as well. I listed all the schools, but placed a hyphen in between each one so that it only counts as one word (there is a 200 word limit this year).

Then you can use the rest of the word count to put a meaningful blurb about how you improved your app.

Is there a way to check our application status after submitting the secondary?

would also like to know this. Has anyone who has submitted received any sort of "application complete" email?

I'm a reapplicant as well. I listed all the schools, but placed a hyphen in between each one so that it only counts as one word (there is a 200 word limit this year).

Then you can use the rest of the word count to put a meaningful blurb about how you improved your app.
You are awesome! Thanks for the tip!!

Application Complete

Last edited:
When I preview my application, none of the formatting (line breaks, spaces) was preserved. Has anyone else run into this problem? For the "taken time off" response I replied in list format with dates, but everything was condensed into one paragraph blob.

I emailed and they said they could reopen my application, but I am not sure how to remedy the formatting issue. I can't view the pdf preview until AFTER I hit "submit" so I won't know if what I have written will appear as I typed it...

There's a PDF preview? Where?!

If you click on your submitted application it opens a preview in a webpage. Not sure if this is html format though which is why it appears to condense everything? Same thing happens with AMCAS app if you preview in html...I am wondering how it will appear to the adcom

I came to this thread to ask about this. 40 hours seems astronomical for science based majors who aren't double majoring. Anyone know how stringent of a policy this is?
Glad I doubled in psych/biochem double at a liberal arts college

If you click on your submitted application it opens a preview in a webpage. Not sure if this is html format though which is why it appears to condense everything? Same thing happens with AMCAS app if you preview in html...I am wondering how it will appear to the adcom
After you submitted it? What link are u going to?

After you submitted it? What link are u going to?

When you sign in you'll see "2015-2016 Application", which is actually a hyperlink you can click to preview.

To the right of this hyperlink you'll see info about when you submitted it

Anyone still waiting for this secondary? I was verified 07/01

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone still waiting for this secondary? I was verified 07/01
You actually have to go on their website yourself to access the secondary here: http://www.einstein.yu.edu/education/md-program/admissions/instruction-for-new-applicants/

They don't send you an email explicitly inviting you to complete the secondary, but it was kind of hidden in the email you should have gotten from them that has the subject heading: EINSTEIN - APPLICATION ACKNOWLEDGMENT. Haha, I was on the same boat as you and waiting for the secondary. I submitted on 6/2 and was wondering why it was taking so long, so I just looked through my email.

You actually have to go on their website yourself to access the secondary here: http://www.einstein.yu.edu/education/md-program/admissions/instruction-for-new-applicants/

They don't send you an email explicitly inviting you to complete the secondary, but it was kind of hidden in the email you should have gotten from them that has the subject heading: EINSTEIN - APPLICATION ACKNOWLEDGMENT. Haha, I was on the same boat as you and waiting for the secondary. I submitted on 6/2 and was wondering why it was taking so long, so I just looked through my email.

I didn't even get the application acknowledgment email.

Edit: So I filled out the form on their website. Now will I get that email?

Last edited:

hmmmm I'm not sure >.< I didn't have to fill out a form and got the email, but I'm sure you'll get one soon. It's probably just cuz you were verified later than I was....

Just an FYI... their website states "Applicants who submit a Secondary without having received the email from the Admissions Office that directs you to this site will be withdrawn from further consideration and charged the processing fee, if paid at the time of application."

Just be patient; I'm sure your secondary is coming soon!

Just an FYI... their website states "Applicants who submit a Secondary without having received the email from the Admissions Office that directs you to this site will be withdrawn from further consideration and charged the processing fee, if paid at the time of application."

Just be patient; I'm sure your secondary is coming soon!

Yes! Haha I read that. I made an account, but didn't even start the secondary. I'll wait a bit and call if necessary.

Any ideas if graduating a semester early counts as taking time off during undergrad years?

Any ideas if graduating a semester early counts as taking time off during undergrad years?
Taking time off implies that you left and came back. You're graduating earlier, not taking a leave. Talk about what you plan to do with that extra time between graduating and matriculating.

Taking time off implies that you left and came back. You're graduating earlier, not taking a leave. Talk about what you plan to do with that extra time between graduating and matriculating.

I'm a non-trad but that is a good point; I'll include that semester off in what I did with my gap time. The "undergrad years" part threw me off.

Cheers

For people clicking yes to the disciplinary action question, what does "Please explain how all of the above affected you" mean? Is it referring to the expunged option and # of warnings received or what happened in general in the incident? Interesting phrasing.

For people clicking yes to the disciplinary action question, what does "Please explain how all of the above affected you" mean? Is it referring to the expunged option and # of warnings received or what happened in general in the incident? Interesting phrasing.
I think it means as a person. I.e., how have you grown from this? what did you learn? What will you do differently in the future? How does what you learned relate to medicine?

I think it means as a person. I.e., how have you grown from this? what did you learn? What will you do differently in the future? How does what you learned relate to medicine?
Ah okay. That's what I figured but this is the first school I've come across to ask what we learned/how we grew instead of what happened. Just wanted to clarify.

Just got the secondary today and submitted. They didn't say anything about waiting on a "you are complete" email, but I'm assuming that's the case, right?

Is anyone else still seeing weird formatting issues when they preview their submitted application? Mine didn't preserve line breaks at all and everything is condensed into blocks of text for my responses. I emailed and they reopened my application, but I am afraid if I resubmit the same thing will happen.

Anyone use the additional info section for a short why or diversity essay?

Submitted Secondary July 10, 2015
Complete Email July 20, 2015

For people with a gap year, under the essay you had to write about what you were doing it said to send verification as well. How are you gonna do that?

Anyone else having trouble submitting the secondary fee? I've submitted it but the pop-up doesn't close properly and the program doesn't let me advance. I've gotten (multiple) payment confirmation emails from trying it again in different ways... Gonna have to get some chargebacks on my credit card, but thats not even the important bit!

Edit: For anyone else who might have this issue, I resolved it by logging out of the Einstein secondary completely, and then logging back in and refreshing the page. The prompt for the tracking ID showed up. Weird. Using Google Chrome as a browser.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For people with a gap year, under the essay you had to write about what you were doing it said to send verification as well. How are you gonna do that?

hmmmmm... I did take a gap year, but I dont remember my application question asking to send in evidence of activities. Are you 100% sure it asks for that?

Anyone else having trouble submitting the secondary fee? I've submitted it but the pop-up doesn't close properly and the program doesn't let me advance. I've gotten (multiple) payment confirmation emails from trying it again in different ways... Gonna have to get some chargebacks on my credit card, but thats not even the important bit!

Try using a different broweser