2014-2015 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed right before Thanksgiving, but didn't even get the post interview survey, yet. Do you think it's worth calling the office about where my application is?
Did you find out what was going on? I had an interview around the same time, and now post-interview survey status. I'm just curious why some people do not get post-interview status change for a long time, and if it means anything. :thinking:

Last edited:
Interview Invite about an hour ago. I was complete in late August, got a Further status back in November, MAY status a few days ago. So pumped!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now. Anyone know whether there are actually seats left, or if they are mostly filling wait list positions at this point in the game? Would it be a faux pas for me to call and ask about that?

Reactions: 3 users
Interview Invite about an hour ago. I was complete in late August, got a Further status back in November, MAY status a few days ago. So pumped!!!

Lucky! Congrats! I've been at the further status since September =/ starting to lose hope.

Reactions: 1 user
@premedgirl24 hang in there!!! This was my first time hearing from them in months so I am certain you will hear something in the next few weeks or so!

I interviewed on 1/8 and they said the class was half full

So is May status generally a good thing?

Last year I got the may status and nothing came of it. This year I got the may status and got an interview two days later. I think it's generally a good thing.

II just now. Anyone know whether there are actually seats left, or if they are mostly filling wait list positions at this point in the game? Would it be a faux pas for me to call and ask about that?

As someone said earlier, it's probably about half full. They have four days on which they send out acceptances, and since two have passed, it would make sense that half of the intended acceptances have been sent out.

Interview in a week!!!! Any recommendations/suggestions/last advice??

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 1/8 and they said the class was half full
Hey I interviewed with you on 1/8, have you heard anything from them yet like the post-interview hold? They said it would be up the week after and I have nothing yet...

Hey I interviewed with you on 1/8, have you heard anything from them yet like the post-interview hold? They said it would be up the week after and I have nothing yet...

I called them yesterday morning and they said that because Monday was MLK day the admissions committee didn't meet at all, extending decisions for another week.

To the people that VCU is playing status pinball with: might I suggest glitterbombing them with letters?

:p

Reactions: 1 users
Please correct me if I misunderstand their admissions process, but I was under the impression that your 'ranking' is static after the preliminary review. Consequently, any progress towards receiving an interview invite is dependent upon movement 'above' you.

Is it your experience or knowledge that letters of interest, updates, etc. help?

Please correct me if I misunderstand their admissions process, but I was under the impression that your 'ranking' is static after the preliminary review. Consequently, any progress towards receiving an interview invite is dependent upon movement 'above' you.

Is it your experience or knowledge that letters of interest, updates, etc. help?
Not sure how their process works, but they do not accept letters of interest or update letters per their website!

I was under the exact same impression. Any other information is beyond me.

Not sure how their process works, but they do not accept letters of interest or update letters per their website!

News to me. I sent one in a while ago to an admissions person listed on the contact us section of VCU and got an email back acknowledging receipt of the update. YMMV.

News to me. I sent one in a while ago to an admissions person listed on the contact us section of VCU and got an email back acknowledging receipt of the update. YMMV.
Welp, apparently they accept new grades and publications...so that explains that haha. Congratulations on the pub by the way!

Anyone else interview with the 8th year neurosurgery md-phd student and have a terrible time?

Would someone mind clarifying to me these "may status" and "further status" messages and what they mean so I don't have to search the past 42 pages? The first sentence of the update I just got is "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further," so I'm assuming that's the "further" status, but I have no idea if that's a good sign or not. I've never received any pre-II status from a school that wasn't either an II or a rejection.

EDIT: found it just one page back, so I'll ask a related question instead: has anyone had any luck sending a letter of interest following their status change, or is that not really necessary?

Last edited:
Would someone mind clarifying to me these "may status" and "further status" messages and what they mean so I don't have to search the past 42 pages? The first sentence of the update I just got is "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further," so I'm assuming that's the "further" status, but I have no idea if that's a good sign or not. I've never received any pre-II status from a school that wasn't either an II or a rejection.

EDIT: found it just one page back, so I'll ask a related question instead: has anyone had any luck sending a letter of interest following their status change, or is that not really necessary?

An admissions counselor told me over the phone that updates, LOIs, etc. are not helpful after their preliminary review of your application. However, there may be contradictory anecdotal evidence on here.

I got the "further" update, and then an ii 3 days later.

I finally got a status change after being complete in the summer.

does anyone know if there's a 'class of 2019' fb page/group yet..?

For anyone who interviewed recently, did they tell you that the next decision date was on 2/2 or 2/3?

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody who interviewed on 1/8 hear anything back yet? I remember them telling us we would hear back regarding the committee's decision to keep us in the running or reject us within 1-2 weeks but I haven't heard anything.

Thought they actually said 2/1, then 3/16
2/1 is a Sunday. According to their website, if the release date is on a weekend, we should hear back the next weekday, which would be 2/2. But I could be wrong...?

2/1 is a Sunday. According to their website, if the release date is on a weekend, we should hear back the next weekday, which would be 2/2. But I could be wrong...?
When I interviewed in December, they said it would 2/2 because 2/1 is on the weekend.

Anybody who interviewed on 1/8 hear anything back yet? I remember them telling us we would hear back regarding the committee's decision to keep us in the running or reject us within 1-2 weeks but I haven't heard anything.
Yea, I'm guessing the 1-2 weeks is just a very rough estimate. I interviewed December 10th and had no update statuses until just last week, and that update was just a request to fill out the post-interview survey. But at this point, I'm just waiting for 2/2 to roll around.

2 quick questions for a current student (or anyone else who can comment):
How much time off does VCU provide for Step 1 studying and when in the second semester of the second year is Step 1 taken?
Are all pre-clinicals graded CA/CN (P/F) and all the clinicals graded on a "normal" full grading scale?
Thanks for your help!

I interviewed 1/8, and I haven't heard anything either.

I interviewed in October and I'm still on hold... No decision yet. I guess the committee must have ranked me pretty low :(

Oooh, yeah. You guys are right. They said something about aiming for 2/1, but if it's on a weekend, then the following weekday makes sense.

Yea, I'm guessing the 1-2 weeks is just a very rough estimate. I interviewed December 10th and had no update statuses until just last week, and that update was just a request to fill out the post-interview survey. But at this point, I'm just waiting for 2/2 to roll around.

What's weird is that I had that post-interview survey status change like 4 DAYS after my interview (including weekend days), which I thought was pretty quick. I'm not sure what to expect out of this school. All I know is that I really, really liked it.

I don't think they would do it on a weekend though, would they?
Per my status: "We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 15, February 1, and March 16. If any of these dates falls on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. Only offers of admission will be made on the dates above. "

I think because of the holiday they might be a bit behind. I'm pretty sure they committee meets on Mondays

What's weird is that I had that post-interview survey status change like 4 DAYS after my interview (including weekend days), which I thought was pretty quick. I'm not sure what to expect out of this school. All I know is that I really, really liked it.
You already got the post-interview status?? I interviewed with you on 1/8 and I haven't even gotten that yet!

You already got the post-interview status?? I interviewed with you on 1/8 and I haven't even gotten that yet!

It was really weird. So we interviewed on that Thursday (1/8) right? On Monday when I started school up again I get an email and my heart practically burst out of my chest...only to be a survey status. Haha!

It was really weird. So we interviewed on that Thursday (1/8) right? On Monday when I started school up again I get an email and my heart practically burst out of my chest...only to be a survey status. Haha!
But I haven't even gotten that status yet... I'm calling their office tomorrow and trying to get some more info cuz all this waiting is killing me.

2 quick questions for a current student (or anyone else who can comment):
How much time off does VCU provide for Step 1 studying and when in the second semester of the second year is Step 1 taken?
Are all pre-clinicals graded CA/CN (P/F) and all the clinicals graded on a "normal" full grading scale?
Thanks for your help!

Pre-clinicals are all CA/CN (yes, essentially pass/fail) and all clinical years are the honors, high pass, pass, marginal, fail. I didn't go through the new curriculum so I don't know about time off for step 1 studying and when it's suggested to be taken by. I can look into it and get back to you if you want, just let me know if you haven't found out yet.

Looks like we'll be getting to the next round of acceptances here in a few days (Monday?). Good luck to everyone who applied!