2012-2013 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an ii! Beyond thrilled, looking forward to check out NYMC! :thumbup:
Congratulations!!!! Out of curiosity....for those of you who recently received iis, when were you complete? Anyone know if they're still working chronologically by date of completion or is everyone in the same pool now?

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh I really want a II here but don't know what to do, already sent a LOI early march!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Those accepted, did you get any confirmation when you submitted the terms & conditions and deposit? Never heard anything, and wonder if I should give them a call...

Members don't see this ad :)
chin up! just got an interview... had tanked undergrad so similar look to your numbers

undergrad sGPA 2.9, grad sGPA 3.85 MCAT 35P

Agreed. I was accepted to NYMC and i bombed my MCAT but I think other things are factored into the whole equation! Best of luck!

By the way, is there like a facebook group for NYMC class of 2017?

stats:
OOS, cGPA 3.83, sGPA 3.94, MCAT 25O.
Interviewed: 1/31
Accepted: 3/5

Last edited:
How to get to NYMC from NYC? I've never taken MNR in my life.
Email said I should be there by 10 am.

Last edited:
Either take it to Tarrytown or White Plains, you'll have to catch a cab from there... Best to reserve one now.

Good luck!

Sent from my PG86100 using SDN Mobile

Does anyone know if there's a Facebook group out there for the class of 2017? Would be great to start to get to know some fellow classmates!!

II today, completely out of the blue. Haven't heard from them since completion back in August. No LOIs, no updates, so I was surprised to hear from NYMC. Avg stats: 3.6/31

I haven't been following this thread... Does anyone know if NYMC interviews people for waitlists this late in the game?

ACCEPTED this morning (my first)!!! Interviewed 3/14! :D

Has anyone had any luck reaching the NYMC student hosting program? I'm supposed to interview here next week but haven't heard back from the hosting people since I emailed them last Thursday.

Also Congrats IrishCogs

Got an email asking for updated grades last week 4/4. Is this a good thing? Should I get my hopes up that an interview invite is coming? Did anyone else get this email and not get / get an interview invite subsequently?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email asking for updated grades last week 4/4. Is this a good thing? Should I get my hopes up that an interview invite is coming? Did anyone else get this email and not get / get an interview invite subsequently?

I would say that it's a good thing! They sent me the same email asking for my grades last week and then I got an interview invite the next day. Good luck.

I would say that it's a good thing! They sent me the same email asking for my grades last week and then I got an interview invite the next day. Good luck.

That worries me a bit, since that means they should have sent me my invite already if they continued to be interested..oh well, fingers still crossed! :)

A friend who is a current student just sent me this: (the med school bought some building and is expanding)

NEWS RELEASE

MEDICAL COLLEGE PURCHASES BUILDING, EXPANDS CAMPUS REACH

Valhalla, N.Y., April 10, 2013–New York Medical College has announced the purchase of a 248,000-square foot building to provide upgraded and more flexible space planning for its growing enterprise.
“This is an auspicious day for New York Medical College,” said Alan Kadish, M.D., president of New York Medical College and the Touro College and University System “The addition of this prime real estate will open up a wealth of opportunities for new programs we are developing, as well as easing the crowded conditions currently experienced in some of the older buildings on campus. We are committed to developing our enterprise in ways that support and enhance our ability to fulfill the nation’s need for health care professionals, and these modern facilities offer the flexibility and growth potential we have been seeking.”
The newly acquired five-story building, located at 19 Skyline Drive in Hawthorne, N.Y., sits adjacent to the campus. The property consists of 12 acres off Route 9A, and houses a 115-seat auditorium/conference room, a fitness center, a cafeteria with a café annex and an 80-seat outdoor dining plaza, and a 720-space parking lot. In the near future it will be connected to Sunshine Cottage Road via a paved roadway with a sidewalk.

Plans are still being finalized, but College officials say they expect renovations to take place this summer, and to begin moving faculty and staff to the Skyline Drive building in September.

Accepted this morning. Interviewed 3/11.

Congrats to you. Its so reassuring that they are still offering acceptances. I'm interviewing 4/18 and I really hope that I still have a chance at this point in the cycle.

Does anyone know if there's a Facebook group out there for the class of 2017? Would be great to start to get to know some fellow classmates!!

I haven't found one yet. It would be awesome if an upper classmen would start one. *hint hint* lol :)

So can anyone give detailed instructions on how to get there from NYC?
Let's say I'm at grand central station
Then what?
Would I have to leave the day before my interview and get a hotel if I have to get there at 10 in the morning?

Then what?
Would I have to leave the day before my interview and get a hotel if I have to get there at 10 in the morning?

1) Go up the night before and get a room (most expensive) at either comfort inn or la quinta inn
2) Take metro north from grand central to either white plains (cheaper, more cabs) or valhalla (more direct). If you need a cab from valhalla you can call a taxi service in advance to meet you. The easiest one is...

greenburgh taxi-914-592-4949

All this being said the safest (albeit slightly more expensive cab ride) is metro north from grand central to white plains bc cabs will be waiting there no need to call in advance. From valhalla train station its about 5-10 minutes to campus and from white plains about 15 minutes.

I didn't spend the night and I got there very early. Type in the time you want to get there from Grand Central Station and it tells you the time you should catch the train to White Plains.

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_results.cfm?n=y

Good luck!

Also..someone should create a FB page! :)
Then what?

Take the Metro North to Hawthorne. It's the closest train station to NYMC (only about 3-5 minutes away) and you'll save some cash. Just call for a taxi ahead of time. If you don't want to call for a taxi ahead of time/don't mind spending some extra cash, go to the White Plains train station.

If you live in NYC, you can definitely get to NYMC the same day without too much of a headache. The train ride is only approximately 45 minutes to Hawthorne.

Withdrew acceptance, good luck to all of us!

ACCEPTED this morning (my first)!!! Interviewed 3/14! :D

Congrats! Although this makes me nervous since I interviewed 3/4 and still haven't heard anything....

I interviewed 2/21 and still haven't heard anything :mad:

I had already been interviewed when I received this email. I think they're just updating your file.

Got accepted 4/9. Interviewed 3/12. Congrats to those you got accepted and good luck to the rest!

I haven't found one yet. It would be awesome if an upper classmen would start one. *hint hint* lol :)

Why wait? I started a Facebook group just to get to know future classmates. New York Medical College Class of 2017 open invite

Why wait? I started a Facebook group just to get to know future classmates. New York Medical College Class of 2017 open invite

For some reason it's not showing up on the Facebook search, can you post the link? Thanks for doing that by the way! AND congrats on the acceptance!

Hi everyone. I just set up a Facebook group as well.... link is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NYMCSOM2017/

Or just search "New York Medical College School of Medicine Class of 2017".

Didn't mean to set up warring groups but I couldn't find anything on Facebook. PM me if you have any issues finding the group. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Last edited:
Just got an interview invite. Pretty shocked seeing that it's so late in the season and I haven't heard a peep from NYMC since last July. I'll be passing up on the interview, I hope it goes to someone who wants it.

Just got an interview invite. Pretty shocked seeing that it's so late in the season and I haven't heard a peep from NYMC since last July. I'll be passing up on the interview, I hope it goes to someone who wants it.
stats please?

I'd be happy to take it. :D

haha I wish it was that easy

Almost had a heart attack when I saw an email from NYMC but it was just about whether or not I want to remain on the wait list or withdraw so looks like they are updating their wait list.

Almost had a heart attack when I saw an email from NYMC but it was just about whether or not I want to remain on the wait list or withdraw so looks like they are updating their wait list.

+1...did anyone else get this e-mail? last year when they sent an e-mail asking if people wanted to remain on the WL they started to accept people shortly thereafter...maybe it'll be the same this year? :)

+1...did anyone else get this e-mail? last year when they sent an e-mail asking if people wanted to remain on the WL they started to accept people shortly thereafter...maybe it'll be the same this year? :)

I think they're just weeding out the people who are not interested in the school any longer. They probably sent it today (the 15th) because for other schools that start in July rather than August, final decisions were due from their accepted applicants. It's a month earlier than the deadline for the majority of schools, which is May 15th. I doubt we'll see movement till the middle of May based on the threads from the last 2 years.

I think they're just weeding out the people who are not interested in the school any longer. They probably sent it today (the 15th) because for other schools that start in July rather than August, final decisions were due from their accepted applicants. It's a month earlier than the deadline for the majority of schools, which is May 15th.

is NYMC's deadline different from May 15?

Not sure if this means anything but I know of someone else who is wait listed yet didn't receive an email yet asking them whether they wish to remain on the wait list or not...

is NYMC's deadline different from May 15?

Nope it's May 15th.

And I know of one school that told all of its accepted applicants to drop all acceptances if they wish to attend their school by today. (UA Phoenix Med) Idk if there are any others out there.

Nope it's May 15th.

And I know of one school that told all of its accepted applicants to drop all acceptances if they wish to attend their school by today. (UA Phoenix Med) Idk if there are any others out there.

hmmm interesting. All these May 15 rules don't mean squat to me since I have no acceptances lol. but good to kno anyway I guess

Not sure if this means anything but I know of someone else who is wait listed yet didn't receive an email yet asking them whether they wish to remain on the wait list or not...

I didn't get an email...Im guessing this is not a good sign.

For anyone who is wondering.. I got an II 3 days ago out of the blue. Complete in September. Dates were for early May. Will be withdrawing though.. so maybe someone who is waiting can snag it. Cheers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.