2012-2013 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just withdrew my application pre-interview here after hearing nothing since being marked complete 8/15. Good luck to everyone else!

Does anyone know how many spots are still left? I have an interview on April 8th and I just want to make sure I'm not interviewing for the wait list. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw they had a really interesting program and lots of facilities to train with, but NYMC's dean of medicine is putting a lot of cash and effort to building up the Westchester campus. There's going to be a clinical skills training center opening next year with simulation dummies and actors, and growth in this other areas as well. Its a tough decision but hofstra lacks any of the traditional comparison scales since they are so new, making me skeptical of their ability to place residents outside of their own major system.

Good luck with your decision, I know I wouldn't want to be on Long Island though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Is the interview season pretty much over at NYMC at this point, or are interview invites still going out?

cuz i'm not from the NY area and i'm clueless - what is wrong with hempstead long island? is valhalla a better region?

Allow me to preface this by stating I am extremely biased. I grew up just outside of westchester so of course I favor it quite a bit. However, I attended college on LI, and can speak with some experience on that as well. Though Stony Brook is farther out on the island than Hofstra, there was a lot in common and I would often travel around going to different places on weekends etc.

In NY it's common to trash talk long island if you are from NYC or above, just as those on LI do the same for upstate. Everyone hates on New Jersey, and most would agree that NYC is a cooler place than all the rest....

That said, Hofstra is located in the center of a traffic nightmare. The LIE is essentially a very long parking lot and the turnpike that Hofstra sits on is just as bad (after my interview it took me 4 hours to get home, I live in Westchester -check google maps for an idea). That particular area of LI isn't exactly the Gatsby-esque region people may associate with the Island. Instead its a middle/lower-middle income, high density suburb with all the inconveniences of living in Queens and none of the public transport. I lived on LI while I was an undergrad, further out at Stony Brook and I hated it. This is just my opinion, but the culture there is generally more commercialized-suburbanite, and less individualistic. This is of course an over simplification, but many people would probably agree. Nightlife on the island can be illustrated best by watching jersey shore (again a generalization, but all to often it holds true). There are absolutely some beautiful areas out on the island, but not in hempstead. Also, med school curriculum will probably stifle your ability to sit on a beach all day.

NYMC on the other hand, is in Valhalla. This is a harder to describe region. On one side you have the hudson river towns like Tarrytown. These are picturesque classic examples of americana, with antique stores, pre-war architecture, coffeeshops restaurants and theaters. The locavore culinary movement is alive and well in these regions, and the arts are widely appreciated here. On the other side you have urban centers like White Plains, Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Port Chester, etc. These regions vary in socioeconomic ranking -widely. You can have, within twenty minutes, extremely low income section-8 apartments, and multi-million dollar mansions.This is well reflected in the patients that visit the hospital .

In my opinion, NYMC is in a better location since you can go to rural NY, or NYC in the same amount of time (~30 minutes). You have access to a wide range of independent and major commercial retailers, shops, and restaurants. You will encounter a less predictable variety of personalities, backgrounds, and cultures.

Im sure someone from LI is going to make a stink about this post. Like I said Im biased towards Westchester. Do yourself a favor though, at 6pm open up google maps and select "show traffic," go to the NY metro and compare valhalla with hempstead.

Best of luck :D

Current 4th yr here. Have some downtime if anyone has any questions. For applicants/incoming students, our match list was excellent this yr. medicine, EM, peds and some of the more competitive specialties (vascular, derm, uro, neurosurg, rad onc, and ophtho) were especially impressive.

Is the interview season pretty much over at NYMC at this point, or are interview invites still going out?

I just called the admissions office and they told me that they offer interview invites until the end of April for the first week of May. Are there any current students who know a little more about the process? The end of April for an II seems pretty late.

Current 4th yr here. Have some downtime if anyone has any questions. For applicants/incoming students, our match list was excellent this yr. medicine, EM, peds and some of the more competitive specialties (vascular, derm, uro, neurosurg, rad onc, and ophtho) were especially impressive.

Hey whoknows2012. Can you give us a reflection/assessment on your four years at NYMC? The good and the bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called the admissions office and they told me that they offer interview invites until the end of April for the first week of May. Are there any current students who know a little more about the process? The end of April for an II seems pretty late.
Thanks! Still hoping for a II, sent an update/LOI earlier this week.

Hey whoknows2012. Can you give us a reflection/assessment on your four years at NYMC? The good and the bad?

No problem

Good:
-Professors are excellent. Can be very helpful and teach (for the most part) with step 1 in mind
-anatomy lab, minor point but the fact that it is well lit, and well ventilated is a beautiful thing
-on campus housing-about as convenient as things can be
-opportunity to live in Manhattan for 3rd and 4th yr. Roughly half of my class did this, including myself. Currently live on the Upper east side, and plan to stay here for the next couple yrs of residency
-really good community feel with the students, especially 1st and 2nd year. Between social events (going out in white plains or manhattan) follies/culture show(look it up on you tube really fun nights) and intramural sports (if you're into it) there is a lot going on, and much to enjoy
-we have great Matches every year. Our match list which is posted in this thread exemplifies that.

Not so good
-administration can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Not very receptive to certain things and at best I have a neutral opinion of the it
-clinical training across different sites is highly variable; beware. Some rotations are excellent at a given site and not so good at another. Lenox hill is arguably the best place to do rotations in manhattan, and WMC in westchester. St. Joe's in Patterson can also be pretty good from what I've heard, although Patterson is a HIGHLY undesirable place to live
-Advising can be hit or miss. Talk to upperclassmen to which advisors to use for residency planning

Overall, I had a very positive experience, I was trained well, I had fun, and feel very prepared to start my Internal Medicine residency in 3 months.

On page 13/20 of this booklet, it says that of the 1,304 applicants who interviewed, 736 were offered admission. No one knows how many of those 736 were originally wait listed and then accepted? Or how big the wait list is? I know these questions have been asked multiple times on this thread, so I'm assuming no one has the answer to this? And this information is 2 years old so I don't know if the same odds will apply this cycle.

http://issuu.com/newyorkmedicalcoll...annual_report?mode=window&viewMode=doublePage

On page 13/20 of this booklet, it says that of the 1,304 applicants who interviewed, 736 were offered admission. No one knows how many of those 736 were originally wait listed and then accepted? Or how big the wait list is? I know these questions have been asked multiple times on this thread, so I'm assuming no one has the answer to this? And this information is 2 years old so I don't know if the same odds will apply this cycle.

http://issuu.com/newyorkmedicalcoll...annual_report?mode=window&viewMode=doublePage

I suppose this percentage is pretty dynamic year to year depending on what acceptance is like generally across other campuses. Of course if more students are accepted at a wider variety of schools, it's more likely that that 736 will turn over more quickly.

best of luck, I wish this process wasn't so slow.

No problem

Good:
-Professors are excellent. Can be very helpful and teach (for the most part) with step 1 in mind
-anatomy lab, minor point but the fact that it is well lit, and well ventilated is a beautiful thing
-on campus housing-about as convenient as things can be
-opportunity to live in Manhattan for 3rd and 4th yr. Roughly half of my class did this, including myself. Currently live on the Upper east side, and plan to stay here for the next couple yrs of residency
-really good community feel with the students, especially 1st and 2nd year. Between social events (going out in white plains or manhattan) follies/culture show(look it up on you tube really fun nights) and intramural sports (if you're into it) there is a lot going on, and much to enjoy
-we have great Matches every year. Our match list which is posted in this thread exemplifies that.

Not so good
-administration can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Not very receptive to certain things and at best I have a neutral opinion of the it
-clinical training across different sites is highly variable; beware. Some rotations are excellent at a given site and not so good at another. Lenox hill is arguably the best place to do rotations in manhattan, and WMC in westchester. St. Joe's in Patterson can also be pretty good from what I've heard, although Patterson is a HIGHLY undesirable place to live
-Advising can be hit or miss. Talk to upperclassmen to which advisors to use for residency planning

Overall, I had a very positive experience, I was trained well, I had fun, and feel very prepared to start my Internal Medicine residency in 3 months.

:thumbup: Thanks so much! very insightful

NYMC sends out pre-interview rejections throughout the application cycle? I am wondering what is taking so long to get an official rejection since I haven't heard anything since september.

MMI Interview Invite!

...on April 1st... it's not a joke, is it? anyone else get one?

MMI Interview Invite!

...on April 1st... it's not a joke, is it? anyone else get one?

Just got an II. Completely threw me off as I had already considered myself rejected.

For those of you still wondering, the interview dates I can sign up for are 4/15, 4/18, 4/22, 4/29 and 5/2.

Just got an II. Completely threw me off as I had already considered myself rejected.

For those of you still wondering, the interview dates I can sign up for are 4/15, 4/18, 4/22, 4/29 and 5/2.

Did you guys send any LOI or anything? Stats?

Good news. Hope getting ii soon.

Invited for an interview yesterday! Will be up to NY on 04/15/13!
ISS cGPA 3.74, sGPA 3.74 MCAT 31Q (10/11/10).

And I see a lot of people asking, so I will answer in advanced - LOI sent on 3/21. If this is a top school of interest for you, I recommend sending one ASAP.

Is there a second look day at NYMC? Trying to decide between this place and Univ of Miami Miller.

Edit: Nvm, just saw the post a few pages back about no 2nd look day. I signed up for the big bro/lil sis program but have heard nothing from them for weeks...any way to learn more/visit the school again? Just based on this lack of post-interview follow-up, Im leaning towards Miami.

Last edited:
NYMC admissions staff is pretty unresponsive to applicants...I sent a LOI/Update a few months ago and didn't receive a response saying they got it or anything like that. I called a few days after asking if they got it, was told something to the effect of "It was received. We do not respond back because if we respond to every one who sends us something we'd be spending all our time writing confirmation emails". So don't worry guys they probably did receive your letters.

Does anyone know how NYMC lets people know if they get pulled off the waitlist? Phone call or email? Going out of the country for a bit and don't want to miss my chance.

I just received an email from them asking for my fall term grades, I hope that means that I am still being considered for an interview. I just spoke with someone and was told that they still interview a couple weeks into April if I heard correctly. There's still hope! :thumbup:

I am withdrew my acceptance yesterday. Good luck to everyone wait listed and everyone else!

OOS 3.72/30
Interviewed 9/20
Accepted 10/15

PM for any other information

I just got an interview invite today. I was already committed to another school, Loyola, and wasn't expecting any thing from any other schools any more. Doing some research on the school, it seems really interesting.

Can any one that's been there for the interview elaborate on what they thought?

I just got an interview invite today. I was already committed to another school, Loyola, and wasn't expecting any thing from any other schools any more. Doing some research on the school, it seems really interesting.

Can any one that's been there for the interview elaborate on what they thought?

Congrats on the ii, I'm still hoping to get one after they just asked for my grades from the fall! I would love to be Chicago though, I'd stick with Loyola ;)

So if the wait list is unranked, how do they chose who to draw off of it...?

Most likely by diversity factors: think if the ratio of males v. females is low. It would be in their best interest to have a well balanced class.

On interview day they explained that they pick freely whoever they want off the waitlist to complete their class.

Just got my rejection via email:( was complete since August (3.4 and 34). I'm bummed -but good luck to everyone still in the running! I know the waiting has been brutal for me, but everyone else hang in there!

Just got my rejection via email:( was complete since August (3.4 and 34). I'm bummed -but good luck to everyone still in the running! I know the waiting has been brutal for me, but everyone else hang in there!
You're scaring me! I have a 3.2 and 34. :(

My sympathies man, this is a tough cycle.

By freely do you mean randomly? Like just luck of the draw?

No they pick whoever they want to complete the class. Ie diversity, male/female, is/oos, etc. that was my understanding. Kind of surprised more schools don't do this.

You're scaring me! I have a 3.2 and 34. :(

My sympathies man, this is a tough cycle.

chin up! just got an interview... had tanked undergrad so similar look to your numbers

undergrad sGPA 2.9, grad sGPA 3.85 MCAT 35P

Just got an ii! Beyond thrilled, looking forward to check out NYMC! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.