2012-2013 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
My parents received a rejection letter from New York Medical College today. They didn't even send it to my mailing address. I didn't get an e-mail or anything from them. I interviewed on April 2nd I believe. I'm just surprised I didn't get at minimum wait listed. Usually the post interview rejections are reserved for the worst of the worst. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Thanks so much for the response. I actually interviewed 4/8, not 4/2. IT just really threw me and seemed really fishy. I expected at worst to be wait listed and I wasn't supposed to hear until right before the May 15th deadline.

Anyone remember the name of the staff member who gave the tour?

Got accepted last wednesday and believe I am attending. For those of you wondering I interviewed on 4/11; heard back on 4/24!

Interviewed a couple weeks ago.. still waiting for a reply. come onnn NYMC

My parents received a rejection letter from New York Medical College today. They didn't even send it to my mailing address. I didn't get an e-mail or anything from them. I interviewed on April 2nd I believe. I'm just surprised I didn't get at minimum wait listed. Usually the post interview rejections are reserved for the worst of the worst. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

I called NYMC today. It's official, I received a post-interview rejection. How rare is this? I was under the impression that most people get wait listed if they have an interview and that post-interview rejections are reserved for only the worst candidates. Does anyone have any insight into this? Thanks.

I called NYMC today. It's official, I received a post-interview rejection. How rare is this? I was under the impression that most people get wait listed if they have an interview and that post-interview rejections are reserved for only the worst candidates. Does anyone have any insight into this? Thanks.

Did you ask them why? I wondered this after I got rejected from GWU as well but honestly, it can be anything. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to speculate so it's best to accept it for what it is and let it go. Post-interview rejections hurt pretty badly. Sorry that it happened to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you ask them why? I wondered this after I got rejected from GWU as well but honestly, it can be anything. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to speculate so it's best to accept it for what it is and let it go. Post-interview rejections hurt pretty badly. Sorry that it happened to you.

I did ask why. She didn't know so I'm going to schedule an appointment with an admissions counselor. I'm just so frustrated. I'm wait listed at so many schools and this is my second year applying. I just need one hit.

Damn that sucks. Did they reject you right away? When was your interview

I was rejected post-interview and I interviewed on the first day! I don't know why. I can't have been that bad because I was accepted to my top choice. Sometimes, things just don't make sense. Keep your chin up and hopefully you will get pulled off one of those wait lists!

Damn that sucks. Did they reject you right away? When was your interview

I was accepted on 4/8 and received the rejection 3 days ago. So there was some time that elapsed. I really hope I make it off some of those waitlists.

I'm assuming all accepted students got the e-mail today about reminders:

Before you register , we must receive an official, final transcript showing degrees conferred, from all schools from which you have
received a degree. In addition, we require official transcripts from any and all other institutions you attended, regardless of whether you received
a degree from that institution. If you have not yet done this, please arrange for the transcript(s) to be sent directly from these school(s) to the
NYMC Office of Admissions prior to registration day.

Do we really have to send them transcripts again? They can't just pull it from AMCAS application?

Thanks

Before you register , we must receive an official, final transcript showing degrees conferred, from all schools from which you have
received a degree. In addition, we require official transcripts from any and all other institutions you attended, regardless of whether you received
a degree from that institution. If you have not yet done this, please arrange for the transcript(s) to be sent directly from these school(s) to the

Do we really have to send them transcripts again? They can't just pull it from AMCAS application?

Thanks

Some people's amcas only have up to their junior years grades so all schools require an updated final transcript prior to matriculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

If you completed additional coursework since your initial AMCAS application, yes you do.

CORRECTION
You absolutely need to resend all of your transcripts, regardless of what AMCAS has, to the NYMC School of Medicine, Office of Admissions, 40 Sunshine Cottage Rd., Valhalla, NY 10595.

Do this prior to registrations (usually in july) but no rush to beat May 15th.

Last edited:
Already 47 people in that facebook group

Maybe another 50 people who have been accepted and have decided to matriculate but aren't in the group (total speculation)

Average class size of 190 people. Still roughly 90 more spots in the class? Still lots of room for acceptances right?

plis

I would guess that schools have made enough offers by now to fill their class. However, a good number of those offers will be turned down, and that's when they turn to their waitlist. NYMC is just finishing up their interview season, so they'll probably be more spots open here than at a place that finished up in March or April.

Got an acceptance on Monday, and I will most likely be withdrawing it. Interviewed on 4/9.

I would guess that schools have made enough offers by now to fill their class. However, a good number of those offers will be turned down, and that's when they turn to their waitlist. NYMC is just finishing up their interview season, so they'll probably be more spots open here than at a place that finished up in March or April.

You don't know for sure how many acceptances they gave out. For a class of 180 they surely give out more than 180 acceptances, so depending on how many accept or reject will determine any waitlist movement. Could be alot, a little or none at all.

Accepted today via email at 9am! I am so excited! I knew my interview went well, I responded really well to the MMI format.

IS applicant
3.74/3.74 sGPA,cGPA
31Q MCAT (10/11/10 PS/VR/BS)

Accepted today via email at 9am! I am so excited! I knew my interview went well, I responded really well to the MMI format.

IS applicant
3.74/3.74 sGPA,cGPA

congratulations brotha...being the SDN stalker that I am I also noticed you were accepted to GWU. Do you have any idea which school you'll be choosing yet?

congratulations brotha...being the SDN stalker that I am I also noticed you were accepted to GWU. Do you have any idea which school you'll be choosing yet?

Thanks man! I am leaning towards GW right now - it's affiliated with the hospital that I currently work at and has great pediatric exposure, but my family is from NY so returning home would be great.

If I had a gun to my head and had to choose right now, I'd say GW.

To be quite honest, the gym isn't much. I didn't notice a squat rack there. There's a few gyms within driving distance though.

Congrats! When did you interview?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

IS applicant
3.74/3.74 sGPA,cGPA

Congrats! When did you interview?

Accepted yesterday via email. I interviewed on April 18th. 38Q MCAT, 3.7ish GPA. Loved the MMI format, think I responded really well to it. Here's hoping that they get back to me about financial aid relatively soon, as a scholarship would really tip the scales for me in favor of NYMC.

I remember them showing us the dorm gym. It didn't look like much, a few free weights but I don't think I saw any barbells or racks.

There is a Smith Machine at the gym. It's not ideal but at least you can do bench and squats with that. No dead lifts though, gotta find a real gym for that.

Has anyone on who was accepted already received notification of a scholarship yet? I know NYMC does give out some scholarships and I'm trying to gauge if they've started awarding them already.

Also, congrats to you guys who have just been accepted!

Just a heads up!
I was incorrect earlier when I posted about sending transcripts, I was basing my statements off of experience with the GSBMS at NYMC.

I just got off the phone with the OoA and this is what I've gathered:

Once accepted, you absolutely need to resend all of your transcripts, regardless of what AMCAS has, to the NYMC School of Medicine, Office of Admissions, 40 Sunshine Cottage Rd., Valhalla, NY 10595.

Do this prior to registrations (usually in july) but no rush to beat May 15th.

Anyone who interviewed after 4/18 get a decision?

I think someone from the 4/18 group got accepted (read earlier posts) but yeah I was wondering the same thing. Should we expect a letter in the mail or email?

Did anybody during their interview ran out of time during the "traditional" station and was told to email the admissions office w/ answers? I can't write specifically what question, but I was told to do so, and did once I got home. If any of you did the same, did you get a confirmation email?

Did anybody during their interview ran out of time during the "traditional" station and was told to email the admissions office w/ answers? I can't write specifically what question, but I was told to do so, and did once I got home. If any of you did the same, did you get a confirmation email?

They're really unresponsive. They state somewhere on their website they don't reply to emails unless it needs a response.

I emailed them a few months back asking them a question and they never replied :thumbdown:

Last edited:
I am considering sending another recommendation letter. does anyone think this is a good idea and might help? also, is it best to go through AMCAS? thanks !

So I was just accepted on Monday and am also holding an acceptance at another school which has a slightly lower COA. They talked to us on our interview day about scholarships and said they still had quite a bit of money to award people. A scholarship would definitely tip the scales in NYMC's favor for me. But when I called the financial aid office yesterday, they said I won't get an award letter until June. So apparently I have to decide between the two schools before I have any idea of my financial aid at NYMC, which seems pretty unfair. Is there anyway to defer that May 15th decision until after I've received my award letter or do I just have to make this decision now regardless?

Status
Not open for further replies.