2012-2013 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer a few questions I interviewed 4/18, was accepted 05/06 via email which said I would be getting the full informational packet in the mail sometime later (still haven't received it yet).

I think someone posted asking about LOR update, I don't know how much it helped but I know that after my interview I had a letter sent to the admissions email address (where you send updates) from my boss because they said it might be faster than sending via mail. I guess it worked for me and I can't say it would hurt you.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was just accepted on Monday and am also holding an acceptance at another school which has a slightly lower COA. They talked to us on our interview day about scholarships and said they still had quite a bit of money to award people. A scholarship would definitely tip the scales in NYMC's favor for me. But when I called the financial aid office yesterday, they said I won't get an award letter until June. So apparently I have to decide between the two schools before I have any idea of my financial aid at NYMC, which seems pretty unfair. Is there anyway to defer that May 15th decision until after I've received my award letter or do I just have to make this decision now regardless?

you could pay the $100 deposit and then wait to see if you get a scholarship from the school. if you don't get one you can still withdraw and attend the other school, you'd just lose that $100 dollars

I am considering sending another recommendation letter. does anyone think this is a good idea and might help? also, is it best to go through AMCAS? thanks !

As a rising MS-3 (oh step 1... No whammy no whammy...) I would recommend sending a new LOR if it is from something you have done since submitting AMCAS via snail mail or have your letter writer send it via PDF. It absolutely can help. Everyone's situation is different, but I received an acceptance (was not on the wait list) the same day they received my extra LOR my PI sent from my research job I had during my gap year. Anecdotal information, but you never know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obsessively checking email :scared:
Obsessively checking this thread for decisions :D
Obsessively checking the facebook page for new people who joined and stalking their fb page to find out when they got interviewed or accepted :naughty:

Still only 66 members in the fb group... subtract out upperclassmen, subtract out interested prospective students, etc... hopefully still a lot of room in the class :cool:

Did anyone get a recent email from NYMC about remaining on the waitlist or withdrawing from it?

I received that email on April 15th. Looks like they are trying to finalize it??

First time I got it...was going paranoid that they just rejected me from the waitlist.

So what do if 5/15 passes and I still don't have my decision yet?

So what do if 5/15 passes and I still don't have my decision yet?
Grab a case of your favourite beer, find a patio with chairs and friends, open beer and wait for the decision to come beer in hand

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted off the wait list this morning. ii early march, interview early April, and wl at the end of April. I will for sure be attending. It was really surprising actually, because I thought from reading last year's thread that they wouldn't start looking at the wait list until after may 15... but I guess not. My apologies for any additional anxiety this news causes the people still looking for a spot - but at the same time I would want to know, and I hope you all the best! My stats were roughly ugpa 3.3+ (science was roughly the same - top 20 liberal arts), ggpa 3.6+, and MCAT 33+, for anyone interested in that information. (OOS - CA)

I was accepted off the wait list this morning. ii early march, interview early April, and wl at the end of April. I will for sure be attending. It was really surprising actually, because I thought from reading last year's thread that they wouldn't start looking at the wait list until after may 15... but I guess not. My apologies for any additional anxiety this news causes the people still looking for a spot - but at the same time I would want to know, and I hope you all the best! My stats were roughly ugpa 3.3+ (science was roughly the same - top 20 liberal arts), ggpa 3.6+, and MCAT 33+, for anyone interested in that information. (OOS - CA)

Oh wow, they're getting a headstart. Congrats!

So, a few people have asked me if I submitted a LOI - the short answer is no. I sent them a 'thank you' email following my interview in which I mentioned that NYMC would be my first choice... but it wasn't an actual LOI. I was going to send them an update/LOI yesterday, but fortunately I got the acceptance email and don't have to worry about it. Again - best of luck to all those still waiting for a spot!

Withdrew today. Tried calling all day and the phone would just keep ringing and ringing. Sent an email instead. Think this is ok? Little nervous about the email getting overlooked and was hoping to tell someone directly instead.

Withdrew my spot.. Hope one of you guys gets it.. Best of luck!

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday morning (interviewed 11/12), but will be withdrawing my spot today. Good luck to all!

Thanks everyone for the updates in your statuses at NYMC.

Has anyone who interviewed in May heard back at all? We were told during orientation that we would hear back very soon (around 5/15) and I am curious if this was the case for anyone.

Also, does anyone get a conformation email after you sent your update letter ect. to the admissions email?

Good luck everyone.

Has anyone who interviewed in May heard back at all? We were told during orientation that we would hear back very soon (around 5/15) and I am curious if this was the case for anyone.

Also, does anyone get a conformation email after you sent your update letter ect. to the admissions email?

Good luck everyone.

I interviewed 5/2 and received a waitlist notification on 5/7. No idea what the quickness of that response means...probably best to not think too much into it. Good luck and I hope you (and I) hear some good news soon!

Good luck everyone.

Still waiting... :scared:

Good luck everyone.

I interviewed on May 2, and then got waitlisted a few days right after.

Withdrew today. Tried calling all day and the phone would just keep ringing and ringing. Sent an email instead. Think this is ok? Little nervous about the email getting overlooked and was hoping to tell someone directly instead.

Same thing happened to me. I emailed as well.

Today and tomorrow is a Jewish holiday, so campus is closed. You should call back on Friday when it is open again.

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday morning (interviewed 11/12), but will be withdrawing my spot today. Good luck to all!

Me too, I was accepted off the wait list this Tuesday. Interviewed 12/17, wait listed 7 weeks after. sGPA:3.5. cGPA 3.6, MCAT <29, but significant research experience and extracurricular activities. For other intl applicants out there, there's hope my friends!

Just got accepted from the waitlist, but gave up the spot immediately. Hope it goes to someone who really wants it! :)

Just got accepted from the waitlist, but gave up the spot immediately. Hope it goes to someone who really wants it! :)

Congratulations & best wishes for you at chosen school!! Did you mind sharing when you were waitlisted? Thanks!! :)

Looks like they're going through the waitlist before giving out post interview decisions
Either that or my rejection letter is on the way in the mail

Looks like they're going through the waitlist before giving out post interview decisions
Either that or my rejection letter is on the way in the mail

Ahhh I know and its frustrating since I interviewed on 4/18 and I haven't heard anything yet. When I called in to make sure they received my additional recommendation letter and grade update I was told that my application was reviewed but no decision was made yet. I guess its better than a rejection.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Ahhh I know and its frustrating since I interviewed on 4/18 and I haven't heard anything yet. When I called in to make sure they received my additional recommendation letter and grade update I was told that my application was reviewed but no decision was made yet. I guess its better than a rejection.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Exactly the same for me, except I interviewed later than you.

does anyone know if additional LOR and transcripts are making a difference in getting off the waitlist?? Also in terms of LOR does anyone know how effective it is in sending a LOR from the same professor as in the primary?

Thanks!

does anyone know if additional LOR and transcripts are making a difference in getting off the waitlist?? Also in terms of LOR does anyone know how effective it is in sending a LOR from the same professor as in the primary?

Thanks!
Just to keep everyone in the loop, I was accepted on Friday off the waitlist (interviewed mid March and waitlisted about a month later). I did not send in any additional information or letters or transcripts. I'm very excited and definitely plan on attending!

Can someone give me the link to the financial aid website where we are supposed to submit documents? Does anyone know what ID we are supposed to use to log-in? I can't find any information in the emails that they sent...

congrats Patsfan-428! I was wondering if you were sent the email about if you were still interested in being on the waitlist before you got the acceptance letter.

Just to keep everyone in the loop, I was accepted on Friday off the waitlist (interviewed mid March and waitlisted about a month later). I did not send in any additional information or letters or transcripts. I'm very excited and definitely plan on attending!

congrats Patsfan-428! I was wondering if you were sent the email about if you were still interested in being on the waitlist before you got the acceptance letter.

for those who have gotten in

has anyone received information regarding on campus housing?

thanks! nope, i only got the original waitlist email (I suspect this is because I was waitlisted so late).

Today I received the same wait list update asking if I wished to remain on the wait list that was sent out last week, even though I responded to that one one right away... :confused:

Accepted today. Not off wait list and about 2 weeks after my interview.

Good luck everyone.

Today I received the same wait list update asking if I wished to remain on the wait list that was sent out last week, even though I responded to that one one right away... :confused:

When did you interview? Weird, I didn't get any such email today. The worrying continues!

Has anyone received an email or snail mail about housing or anything else aside from the deposit?

Status
Not open for further replies.