2010-2011 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't put any of my parent's info down, even though they would have made my FAFSA look way better, ha. But I'm married and have been out of the house for 5 years. I'm an engineer so my EFC is shot to pieces anyway. I will be interested in the income appeal form come July.

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly you don't need to put your parent's info in order to recieve federal aid. However, I believe that KU will not give you a NEED based scholarship without your parent's info. So if your parents make a reasonable amount of money, it wouldn't really be worth it to add their info, I would only add it if they don't make very much.

On a similar note... does anyone know how much money the scholarship app they sent out is worth. Is it possible to get a decent amount of tuiton from that or is it like 1000 bucks or something? Don't get me wrong, every little bit helps, just curious what the stakes might be for this app.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly you don't need to put your parent's info in order to recieve federal aid. However, I believe that KU will not give you a NEED based scholarship without your parent's info. So if your parents make a reasonable amount of money, it wouldn't really be worth it to add their info, I would only add it if they don't make very much.

On a similar note... does anyone know how much money the scholarship app they sent out is worth. Is it possible to get a decent amount of tuiton from that or is it like 1000 bucks or something? Don't get me wrong, every little bit helps, just curious what the stakes might be for this app.

I have talked to a few other people in my class about this; the consensus seems to be that many people get something in the "few thousand dollars" range. I don't think anything resulting from the scholarship application is renewable; we just filled out the same application again for next year.

Hey Moose, do you guys seem to get a consistent scholarship award year to year or is it where you might get something one year and nothing the next?

I don't think that incoming freshmen are Scholarship eligible anyway. Therefore, it may not matter to you as far as a need based scholarship is concerned. In addition, I also believe that the FAFSA is an annual thing, in which case, you could simply wait until you are filing the 2012-2013 FAFSA to include your parents info if you are interested in the need based Scholarship offers.

The way I understand from the scholarship email, all those accepted are able to apply for the scholarships that will be reviewed by the committee. I called KU MED financial aid and they told me not to include my parents on the FAFSA, even though I was a dependent for the 2010 tax year.

I included one of my parents. Is there any way that could hurt me? My EFC is still 0 since including the information is optional.

I don't think that incoming freshmen are Scholarship eligible anyway. Therefore, it may not matter to you as far as a need based scholarship is concerned. In addition, I also believe that the FAFSA is an annual thing, in which case, you could simply wait until you are filing the 2012-2013 FAFSA to include your parents info if you are interested in the need based Scholarship offers.

Incoming Freshmen must be eligible for this scholarship considering everyone accepted this cycle so far, including myself have received the application. Why would they send it if we weren't eligible?

You are right that the FAFSA is an annual thing but if you want any sort of aid for the fall semester of this year you would need to fill out the FAFSA for 2011 this year and then next year file again.

Hey Moose, do you guys seem to get a consistent scholarship award year to year or is it where you might get something one year and nothing the next?

I am hoping for consistency; but our deadline was 1/31 for scholarship apps, so I have not heard back for second year yet. If I remember right, you will find out at the same time you find out about the rest of your financial aid stuff.

As far as FAFSA, if you want federal loans you have to fill it out. Not sure where you would have heard to wait until next years, but FAFSA is something you want to get on top of ASAP. Priority deadline is this Monday I believe.

If you think your parents financial status will help you, talk with financial aid first, otherwise leave it off. That was the advice I got; leaving my parents off allowed me to qualify for the maximum amount of subsidized interest loans since it showed me as having no income and no significant savings.

Last edited:
Scholarships given via the School of Medicine absolutely can be awarded to incoming first years. From my experience and talking with other people in my class, they usually are in that several thousand dollar range as Moose pointed out. Unfortunately, they aren't renewable, so every year you get to fill out the same application, so I suppose it's possible you could have one your first year and not your second year.
I remember getting notification of scholarship in early May, but that was at the end of first year...I think incoming M1s get notification in early summer? Although I could be wrong about that.

Anyone else watching the mail like crazy this week??

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm right there with you. I remember reading a thread from a month or two ago though where someone had gotten their acceptance letter a month prior and their page @ kumc hadn't changed yet.

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I remember reading a thread from a month or two ago though where someone had gotten their acceptance letter a month prior and their page @ kumc hadn't changed yet.

Don't drive yourself crazy. Your status on the MEDS page will absolutely NOT update. Just focus all your insanity on the mailman.

Good Luck!!

UTKD

Don't drive yourself crazy. Your status on the MEDS page will absolutely NOT update. Just focus all your insanity on the mailman.

Good Luck!!

UTKD

BTW, should we expect the occasional small deceptive envelope or the GINORMOUS package?

In or out we just get the envelope for now... I just wanna know!!

Whatever the decision is (mine was acceptance) the letter will contain only one piece of paper.

Kansas residents might receive theirs a day or so before the rest of us so keep us OOSers posted guys.

I remember that moment well. The envelope was plain white and appeared to be bad news. The letter itself was the same quality of paper as a rejection letter and the ink even transferred from the top to bottom because of the folds. The only difference was in the beginning: "I am delighted..."

Yes... The mail and https://www2.kumc.edu/som/meds because I think that it might show up there first. I seriously check it like 10x a day!!! The suspense is killing me. :scared:

Like it was said before... This will not update. They told us there are 2 main reasons they do not update the MEDS page.

1) Hundreds of people will be continuously accessing the web server and ultimately slowing it down

2) Once a student learns of acceptance on the MEDS page and realizes they do not have a letter, they immediately call the school to find out if they really were accepted or not since they have no letter. This ties them up on the phones. Then the letter arrives in the next day or two at their house.

Wow, the news must not be good. :(

Crash315 - I just meant no one is saying anything. Usually a bad sign since it's already Wednesday. People typically don't post when it's bad news.

Last edited:
Wow, the news must not be good. :(

I'm sorry, I guess I don't understand how repeating what the medical admissions staff stated means that my news is bad (or good for that matter). I was just letting others know that their status will not be updated on the MEDS page and the reasons given to those who interviewed with me for no updating.

Interviewed Jan. 25th, and I live 15 min from KUMC.

No mail yet.

Another day of trying to pay attention at work... :(

Wow, the news must not be good.

Crash315 - I just meant no one is saying anything. Usually a bad sign since it's already Wednesday. People don't typically post after bad news. :( They probably were delayed a week because the last session was also set back one week?

KU also sells chill pills, aisle 3.

Veel succes! I hope to see you all in July!

UTKD

Last edited:
I could've used one of those chill pills! Good luck everybody!

I could've used one of those chill pills! Good luck everybody!

Ugh i already hate this KU email. In the last six days i've received 19 emails. I don't know how many before that i've already deleted.

The low-income family simulation seems really interesting. Anyone else going to do this?

Ya, they give us a 300MB limit but send on average two 1-2MB emails per day.

I went to a low-income family simulation for many years, except it wasn't a simulation! So no, I won't be there. But are there other events going on involving the school? A second look day? I need some excuse to drive up to KC to look at apartments with my wife, in the event we don't go to the Wichita campus. I suppose we'll find out more later. UTKD and others, have you done the scholarship stuff?

I've been thinking over my responses to some of the questions on the scholarship app but haven't written anything of value yet because I'm not sure if there is a character limit. Anyone know if there is a limit on characters or words for the essays? I was going to keep them around 1000 to 2000 characters like the secondary app but didn't want to go through the trouble of typing up a long essay only to find out it doesn't fall within the limits.

Bah. Empty mailbox.

There's a chance the mail carrier hasn't made it here yet.... it's a rare day that I don't get some sort of credit card application or other useless junk...

I guess Snowmageddon 2011 may have thrown something off, but I thought the roads were fine by Friday each week.

Last edited:
I've been thinking over my responses to some of the questions on the scholarship app but haven't written anything of value yet because I'm not sure if there is a character limit. Anyone know if there is a limit on characters or words for the essays? I was going to keep them around 1000 to 2000 characters like the secondary app but didn't want to go through the trouble of typing up a long essay only to find out it doesn't fall within the limits.

I submitted it yesterday, I typed out all the answers out beforehand, and I did not notice any sort of character limit.

No mail this Monday, it's Presidents Day. Good luck to all waiting!

Today was the last day of interviews for the 2015 year yeah?

Wow, the news must not be good.

Crash315 - I just meant no one is saying anything. Usually a bad sign since it's already Wednesday. People don't typically post after bad news. :( They probably were delayed a week because the last session was also set back one week?

KU also sells chill pills, aisle 3.

Veel succes! I hope to see you all in July!

UTKD

Well it seemed like quoting me meant that I had must've had bad news and I just did not understand how you could conclude my status based on that. I think they may have been delayed by the weather (not able to meet one night).

Glad you know where the chill pills are sold. I write it down. Aisle 3... Check

In our emails about the scholarship application it states that you won't be able to enter it once you submit it.
however, i can keep entering it even after submission.. it's just blank again.
hope it's saved/okay?? :confused:

Mine's blank too and I definitely had stuff there when I clicked the submit button!

I wouldn't worry about it, mine did the same thing. As long as you received the confirmation at the end I'm sure it was submitted.

On a different note, anybody getting excited to actually start school? It just doesn't quite seem real yet in my opinion.

Got the mail this morning.......Still no letter in the KC area.........:( More waiting.............

When is/was the last round of interviews? I think we got our final letters on March 11 last year.

When is/was the last round of interviews? I think we got our final letters on March 11 last year.

last round of interviews was last week, the last day being friday. I heard that there were a couple OOS kids that couldn't get in to KC b/c absurd amounts of fog and supposedly KU was working with them to reschedule. Other than those few, interviews at ku are complete

last round of interviews was last week, the last day being friday. I heard that there were a couple OOS kids that couldn't get in to KC b/c absurd amounts of fog and supposedly KU was working with them to reschedule. Other than those few, interviews at ku are complete

I wonder if that will delay the final letters in March...

...and if they go out on time, I wonder if it's even worth sending us (late January interviewers) a preliminary letter, we're not that far from March...

Status
Not open for further replies.