2010-2011 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My letter was mailed on a Wednesday and i received it to Lawrence on a Friday... assuming they mailed your letter yesterday, you may have to wait a little longer.

Also, the acceptance letter was only one page--- so don't panic if you see a thin envelope :) .... it took me a bit to comprehend that i got in!

Best wishes!!!!

If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview? Was it with the last group? I sure hope that they didn't send out the acceptance letters last week and the rejections this week. That would be very upsetting.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not even in the running and I'm just as anxious as everyone waiting to hear! I'm pulling for you guys! :luck::xf:

If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview? Was it with the last group? I sure hope that they didn't send out the acceptance letters last week and the rejections this week. That would be very upsetting.

I'm an oos applicant and most of is interviewed at the end of January. I believe it was the second to last interiew group. We were told we would receive letters the week of February 14, however due to the snow days we received the the week of February 21. Mine was postmarked February 23 and received february 25. They told us that the admissions committee meets on Wednesdays if that gives you any information...

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just when you think the waiting is over...... Alternate List! They said what number of alts were taken since 2007, but does anyone know any further back?? as if knowing that does me any good, right?!
:) Congrats to those who open acceptances today, and good luck to anyone still waiting on other schools or getting ready for app cycle round 2!

No letter still!!! This is awful. I hate waiting.

I'm an oos applicant and most of is interviewed at the end of January. I believe it was the second to last interiew group. We were told we would receive letters the week of February 14, however due to the snow days we received the the week of February 21. Mine was postmarked February 23 and received february 25. They told us that the admissions committee meets on Wednesdays if that gives you any information...

Good luck!!

That makes me feel better. I was thinking that you were on hold and waiting for the March letters and that you got your last week.

I still do not have a letter. I spoke with Mr Edwards and he said that they went out Monday. I am going to tackle my mailman tomorrow and interogate him about it. To those of you that have been accepted, has your MEDS page been updated to say accepted?

Throwing out good luck to everyone waiting on letters this week.

On a different note, anybody have any idea when we will start getting financial aid packages or find out about scholarships?

Hi guys,

I just recently accepted at Research Assistant job at KU Med. Since graduating a couple of years ago, I have been a Research Assistant at Baylor College of Medicine down in Houston. My wife and I are relocating Kansas City this week, and I am looking to apply to medical school this summer. We will be living on the Missouri side, but I really want to apply EDP to KU Med this summer. I know that KU heavily favors in-state applicants, but I have pretty strong ties to Kansas and the Kansas City area. Has anyone heard of OOS applicants being successful in the EDP Pool? My MCAT is 29 (10V, 10P, 9B), or a 30 MCAT if combining highest sections. GPA is 3.55 with a 3.7 sGPA. I have 2 years of emergency room tech experience, 3 years of research experience (2 co-author papers), several hundred hours of volunteer and shadowing experience.

My other dilemma is this. I would also like to apply to UMKC, but their application deadline is August 1st. I know that through AMCAS, if you apply EDP you can only apply to one school. However, UMKC has a completely seperate application. Would it be bad to submit an application to here as well, or is this something that is not even possible if I apply EDP to KU? Any advice/comments are really appreciated. Thanks!

I can solve this for you quickly as an MD Only at UMKC.

UMKC doesn't use the AMCAS system and UMKC also doesn't do early acceptance, as you will actually start your med school classes in January. A pragmatic solution would be to use your early decision on KU and apply to UMKC as well. If you get into KU and that is where you want to go, then problem solved. If you don't, then you have UMKC as a possible backup if you want to stay in the area. No harm in having more options as opposed to less.

I've posted some more information about UMKC on this thread if you are interested:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=369975

At any rate, I realize this thread is for KU applicants, so I won't attempt to derail it. If you have any questions about UMKC's program, feel free to contact me via E-mail or PM.

Congrats/good luck to everyone else.

I hope your letters come today if they haven't already!
:luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, no one has posted anything in awhile... hope that doesn't mean it was bad news in the mailboxes. :(

Congrats to all who have been accepted! For those of you who got invited to attend the post-baccalaureate program at the KUSOM, I can try and answer your questions. I am a current KUSOM Post-Baccalaureate student and am matriculating into the entering medical school class. I know there is not a lot of information out there regarding the program, and I myself was quite frustrated because I had a lot of questions regarding the program.

Congrats to all who have been accepted! For those of you who got invited to attend the post-baccalaureate program at the KUSOM, I can try and answer your questions. I am a current KUSOM Post-Baccalaureate student and am matriculating into the entering medical school class. I know there is not a lot of information out there regarding the program, and I myself was quite frustrated because I had a lot of questions regarding the program.

Well, I'll bite. I haven't heard anything about the KU post bacc program, what is and how does one 'get invited'? Is there an automatic acceptance into the med school afterward? Fill us in MD552!

And BWSTW, yes, where is everyone?? I'm like at the edge of my seat wanting to hear! I hope it isn't bad news, though...

And hey BWSTW, are you applying again this cycle? If so, we're totally '16 buddies! KU is my first choice and I'd apply EDP if I could, but unfortunately plane tickets to America from West Africa are like $1000 cheaper in October than September so I can't make the early interviews! Darn!

Well, I'll bite. I haven't heard anything about the KU post bacc program, what is and how does one 'get invited'? Is there an automatic acceptance into the med school afterward? Fill us in MD552!

And BWSTW, yes, where is everyone?? I'm like at the edge of my seat wanting to hear! I hope it isn't bad news, though...

Kansaskid -- In order to be eligible for the KUSOM Post-Bacc Program one must have interviewed at KUSOM and for one reason or another be put on the wait-list or rejected (I was put on the wait-list). When all the spots are filled for the entering class a committee gets together and looks at qualified applicants -- [I'm going to change topic for a second: SO many qualified applicants apply each year, and unfortunately everyone can't be accepted .. so if you were not accepted DO NOT get discouraged, it does not mean you are not qualified. Spend your year in between bettering yourself and working towards your goal of being the best physician that you possibly can be!] -- The committee looks at applicants from underserved areas, rural areas, and other disadvantaged backgrounds.

Essentially for the program itself, we spend a year at KU Edwards Campus in Overland Park taking upper level biology courses (I graduated with a degree in Chemistry so my biology back ground was lacking) that coincide with the first two years of medical school. We are also offered ample opportunities at the Medical School with current M1's and Doctors. We are required to take 9 credit hours of upper level classes and a 3 credit hour elective and must maintain a 3.0 GPA. A pretty decent stipend is also given to each of us to help cover living expenses and the cost of classes (so it's essentially a free ride). Upon successful completion you are automatically accepted into medical school.

At first I was pretty disappointed in myself that I did not get accepted; however, in hind-site ... This program has done a ton to prepare me for the upcoming years. Essentially it is like deferring a year.

And hey BWSTW, are you applying again this cycle? If so, we're totally '16 buddies! KU is my first choice and I'd apply EDP if I could, but unfortunately plane tickets to America from West Africa are like $1000 cheaper in October than September so I can't make the early interviews! Darn!

Yes I am! Hi app buddy! :highfive:

You are in West Africa! :eek: Ok, so if you are in Africa, how do you know about KU?! Are you from Kansas? :)

Kansaskid -- In order to be eligible for the KUSOM Post-Bacc Program one must have interviewed at KUSOM and for one reason or another be put on the wait-list or rejected (I was put on the wait-list). When all the spots are filled for the entering class a committee gets together and looks at qualified applicants -- [I'm going to change topic for a second: SO many qualified applicants apply each year, and unfortunately everyone can't be accepted .. so if you were not accepted DO NOT get discouraged, it does not mean you are not qualified. Spend your year in between bettering yourself and working towards your goal of being the best physician that you possibly can be!] -- The committee looks at applicants from underserved areas, rural areas, and other disadvantaged backgrounds.

Essentially for the program itself, we spend a year at KU Edwards Campus in Overland Park taking upper level biology courses (I graduated with a degree in Chemistry so my biology back ground was lacking) that coincide with the first two years of medical school. We are also offered ample opportunities at the Medical School with current M1's and Doctors. We are required to take 9 credit hours of upper level classes and a 3 credit hour elective and must maintain a 3.0 GPA. A pretty decent stipend is also given to each of us to help cover living expenses and the cost of classes (so it's essentially a free ride). Upon successful completion you are automatically accepted into medical school.

At first I was pretty disappointed in myself that I did not get accepted; however, in hind-site ... This program has done a ton to prepare me for the upcoming years. Essentially it is like deferring a year.

If you're out of state does the stipend cover all of the cost of attendance?

Yes I am! Hi app buddy! :highfive:

You are in West Africa! :eek: Ok, so if you are in Africa, how do you know about KU?! Are you from Kansas? :)

Yay! I'm a Peace Corps volunteer in Benin; I do health stuff in a village and I love it! Even though I miss my fiancé back home a lot :(

I grew up in Topeka, and a little in Wichita when I was young, where my dad still lives. You're in Wichita, right? I seem to remember reading that somewhere...

Oh and that post bacc thing sounds like a really cool option! How many rejects/waistlisters make the cut for the program?

Sorry '15ers for hijacking the thread. I've been following your guys' progress for a year now and it's really cool to see how far you've come! Hopefully you'll visit the KU '16 page to give us your wisdom this year!

KUPLS -- for the year all out of state tuition fees are waived.

Kansaskid -- This year there are 12, I believe they usually accept around 10 people yearly.

Yay! I'm a Peace Corps volunteer in Benin; I do health stuff in a village and I love it! Even though I miss my fiancé back home a lot :(

I grew up in Topeka, and a little in Wichita when I was young, where my dad still lives. You're in Wichita, right? I seem to remember reading that somewhere...

Oh and that post bacc thing sounds like a really cool option! How many rejects/waistlisters make the cut for the program?

Sorry '15ers for hijacking the thread. I've been following your guys' progress for a year now and it's really cool to see how far you've come! Hopefully you'll visit the KU '16 page to give us your wisdom this year!

That's cool. When do you come home?

Yeah, I work in Wichita and went to school there, but I actually live in Hutchinson. I spend more time in Wichita than Hutch though. :D

I have a question that hopefully some older medical students can answer.

I am going to be an M1 come this fall. I applied for and received the KMSL (Kansas Medical Student Loan Program), which in effect will pay for my tuition and living expenses, as long as after residency, I come back and serve in the underserved portions of KS (basically not Johnson, Douglas, Shawnee, or Sedgwick counties). You also have to practice in family practice, general internal medicine, pediatrics, and emergency medicine.

My fear is that when I finally decide what type of residency I want, that it will not be one of the "approved" residencies or I will not want to come back to Kansas, and will then have to pay back the loan at 15%, compared to the (I think) 6.8% of federal loans.

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, advice, or experiences that they would be willing to share? Thanks in advance.

I have a question that hopefully some older medical students can answer.

I am going to be an M1 come this fall. I applied for and received the KMSL (Kansas Medical Student Loan Program), which in effect will pay for my tuition and living expenses, as long as after residency, I come back and serve in the underserved portions of KS (basically not Johnson, Douglas, Shawnee, or Sedgwick counties). You also have to practice in family practice, general internal medicine, pediatrics, and emergency medicine.

My fear is that when I finally decide what type of residency I want, that it will not be one of the "approved" residencies or I will not want to come back to Kansas, and will then have to pay back the loan at 15%, compared to the (I think) 6.8% of federal loans.

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, advice, or experiences that they would be willing to share? Thanks in advance.

as a forewarning, i myself do not have the *** loan, so i'm going based off of what i've heard from my classmates who do have it...
first, i believe that OBGYN is also one of the areas that is of "acceptable" practice. second, and more importantly, *** can be retroactively applied. So, if as a 3rd year, you are positive that Emergency med is what you are absolutely going to do, *** can be applied and will cover your loans from the previous 2 years. The link to this is here:
http://www.kumc.edu/studentcenter/finloan_retro.html
A friend of mine who's using *** has mentioned some way of doing an IM fellowship in cardiology and still being *** eligible...i'm not exactly sure how that's supposed to work, but I can probably find out if you'd like.

Any more information that you can give me would be greatly appreciated, including the types of fellowships in IM that are acceptable. Because from what I have heard, fellowships are outright not allowed (except geriatrics).

ok the way she explained it to me, was that you are able to do pretty much whatever fellowship off of the above listed primary care specialties. HOWEVER, depending on the duration of that fellowship, you will have to pay back a certain fraction of your loan. My friend had been looking at cardiology and said she'd have to pay back 3/10 of the *** loan. i really don't know how that's calculated nor do i know if that is subject to the 15% interest that one would have to pay if they decide to break out of ***.
Your best bet is to call the school and speak to someone in financial aid about it. Everyone is helpful and won't bs you.

Hey guys, thought I'd check in...I'm 25th on the waitlist and they've averaged taking 5 the past few years. This was because of a low overall GPA b/c of freshman year. Does anyone know what KU wants to see to remedy this once you graduate (continue undergrad classes, masters, smp)? I hope everything is going well for everyone!

I was in almost the exact same position as you last year. I would call Dean McCurdy and set up and appointment in person or if you are out of town over the phone and ask her what you can do to improve for next year. She will give you positive feedback, impressions from your interviewers and things you should work on. Take a serious look at your application and pick out every single possible weakness and try to address them. I had a low science gpa and took an upper level science course, not sure it really did anything, only changed my gpa like .02 points but I guess showed effort?

My experience and from what I have heard, reapplicants at KU have a very good chance of getting in the second time around, especially since you are high on the waitlist. I was in your spot last year and gained acceptance this year. Call the dean, get her advice and do your best to improve and fix what she tells you. Best of luck.

That's cool. When do you come home?

Yeah, I work in Wichita and went to school there, but I actually live in Hutchinson. I spend more time in Wichita than Hutch though. :D

I'll be back in the states during the month of October (the hope is that I can schedule my interviews during that month) but I'll be home for good in June of 2012. I'm getting married the month after that and hopefully starting med school the month after that! It's going to be crazy busy for a while haha

My grandma lives in Hutch; I remember the long car ride there for Thanksgivings back when I was a youngster. I miss Kansas :)

I'll be back in the states during the month of October (the hope is that I can schedule my interviews during that month) but I'll be home for good in June of 2012. I'm getting married the month after that and hopefully starting med school the month after that! It's going to be crazy busy for a while haha

My grandma lives in Hutch; I remember the long car ride there for Thanksgivings back when I was a youngster. I miss Kansas :)

Congrats! It sounds like you will have a busy summer next year!

Just thought I would let everyone know that I checked my KUMC email yesterday and the financial packages are completed and you can check your status through that website. No scholarship here but hopefully a few of you got one.

Hi all!
Can some of you accepted people lay down some stats? I'm having an SDN induced panic that I won't be able to get into KU (or anywhere else!) and am trying to a)calm myself down a bit and b)think realistically here. I don't have an MSAR handy, but I'm curious about your success stories? MCAT, GPA, ECs? It would be super helpful if you aren't too busy! Thanks everyone and congrats again!

Just thought I would let everyone know that I checked my KUMC email yesterday and the financial packages are completed and you can check your status through that website. No scholarship here but hopefully a few of you got one.

don't give up hope...i'm pretty sure scholarship notifications don't go out until may...unless there's some notification saying you did not receive one.

waitlist22 thanks for the update. anyone know when/how do we apply for GradPlus loans?

Is that really how much is left uncovered by loans?
For me that was about right. Not sure if scholarships are on their way or not, but the financial aid package was about 10k short of the cost of attendance. However, if you're really conservative with living and other expenses, you probably won't need more than 3 or 4k on top of what they give. I assume they do it that way to encourage people to dig into their own pockets a bit and be efficient, but my guess is that most people just cover that gap with private or grad plus loans anyways. That's how it was for undergrad, at least.

I know it's early but has anyone on the waitlist heard anything? Has anyone with acceptances after the last interview date declined?

I know it's early but has anyone on the waitlist heard anything? Has anyone with acceptances after the last interview date declined?

The official declaration day is May 15th and usually the waitlist won't be activated until early June. Even if someone has plans to go somewhere else, they'll typically hang on to the spot in case things change until that date.

So hang in there! Not much longer to wait... but check the MEDS page… that'll be the first sign that the waitlist is moving.

A few things I've heard from close friends: Dean McCurdy commented on how the waitlist wasn't activated last year and they ended up having to admit an extra person into the class. This was not a good situation for her because they could've had too many people and that wouldn't have reflected positively on her. She said that she was planning to drastically reduce the amount that they would over-accept by and rely on dipping into the waitlist to fill the class. This way it would be highly improbable that the class would be overfilled.

So, great news for the waitlisters on the top of the list. I don't think it's going to go really deep this year but certainly to at least 10-15.

Good luck everyone!

UTKD

Last edited:
Been kind of quiet on here lately. Thought I would update for those interested. I checked my MEDS page today, just for kicks since the May 15th deadline has passed, and there is a new message on there saying that they have activated the waitlist and are on alternate number 3. So good news for those on the waitlist this year. Looks like it is at least moving as compared with last year. They will keep updating that page with their place on the list for those interested. Anyway good luck to those on the alternate list and I am looking forward to meeting those of you who have already been accepted!

So the day after they activate it, they're on number 3? I'm guessing with the crap shoot that it is at this point that this tells us nothing, or does it?

So the day after they activate it, they're on number 3? I'm guessing with the crap shoot that it is at this point that this tells us nothing, or does it?

I am number 5 on the list and have not heard anything yet. I too heard they were planning to accept more people from the waitlist this year bc of last year's strange outcome. One of the things they did differently this year was to not 'over-accept' people to account for the added spots in the class for the Salina and Wichita locations. That may allow for quite a few off the list this year.... Good Luck!

Does anyone know how they are picking students to fill the Wichita and Salina seats?

Does anyone know how they are picking students to fill the Wichita and Salina seats?

No, I assume the most qualified that made them their 1st preference?

Oh, alternate number 4? it's your lucky day.

oh don't even sweat it. EMD will probably be called this thurs/friday!

#4 down... :p

See you in class. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.