2010-2011 Mercer Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, please answer! Right now waiting on Mercer and MCG but don't expect much. Would love to go to Mercer if I had to reapply and would do EDP in a heartbeat. Just wish I had known more about Mercer when I made the decision to do RD.

I had a similar experience last year. I waited far too late to apply to Mercer, and then realized that it was actually my first choice shortly before I was rejected -- full stop. Mercer actually encouraged me to re-apply. I met with Leslie, the admissions counselor, early last summer. She gave me a tour, answered all of my questions about Mercer, and she had a copy of my application from 09-10 and helped me take a look at what I needed to improve upon for admission. It was very easy, in the end, to decide to go EDP to Mercer.

I'd definitely agree with jjbryant -- proving that you want to go to Mercer because it's Mercer and not just another med school is key. Also, at the very least, it's important to show an interest in primary care and a dedication to practicing in Georgia. Experience in a rural area is also key. That was one of my missing links -- I ended up shadowing one of the cardiologists I work with at one of his rural clinics to make up for that. Was it primary care? No. But, had also been volunteering at a free clinic that provides primary, secondary and dental care for three years.

So... in short, talk to Leslie or Dr. House (who, I believe, is serving as interim Dean of Admissions) about what you can improve upon -- and definitely go EDP if you know Mercer is for you. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Were acceptances given out today or is it next Wed? Also, does anybody know the date when the waitlist is made?

Thanks!

Were acceptances given out today or is it next Wed? Also, does anybody know the date when the waitlist is made?

Thanks!

Decisions will be given on 3/23 (next wednesday). From what they said on the interview day, you will get the phone call either that night or early the next day. From there they make the waitlist and everyone has an idea where they are (accepted, waitlist, rejected) by April 1st if I remember correctly

Lots of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Decisions will be given on 3/23 (next wednesday). From what they said on the interview day, you will get the phone call either that night or early the next day. From there they make the waitlist and everyone has an idea where they are (accepted, waitlist, rejected) by April 1st if I remember correctly

Lots of luck

Thanks for the information!

Thanks for the information!

Hi guys...I'm a 4th year at Mercer and we had our Match Day yesterday. For anyone with lingering doubts about the quality of education you get at Mercer, I'm going to post the highlights of our match list.

Med-Peds: 2
General Surgery: 6
Otolaryngology: 1
Emergency Medicine: 5
Internal Medicine: 12
Orthopaedic Surgery: 7
Anesthesia: 4
Radiology: 3
Radiation Oncology: 1
Neurosurgery: 1

There were 4 matches at Vanderbilt, 3 at Emory, 5 at UAB, and 1 at Wake Forest. One person matched IM at UCSD, one person matched ortho at Loma Linda. It was a great year for us.

Wow, that's really outstanding. Was this just the Macon or Savannah campus or just a partial list? Can't wait to start already blaaaaah

Edit: nevermind, see it's just the highlights

Hi guys...I'm a 4th year at Mercer and we had our Match Day yesterday. For anyone with lingering doubts about the quality of education you get at Mercer, I'm going to post the highlights of our match list.

Med-Peds: 2
General Surgery: 6
Otolaryngology: 1
Emergency Medicine: 5
Internal Medicine: 12
Orthopaedic Surgery: 7
Anesthesia: 4
Radiology: 3
Radiation Oncology: 1
Neurosurgery: 1

There were 4 matches at Vanderbilt, 3 at Emory, 5 at UAB, and 1 at Wake Forest. One person matched IM at UCSD, one person matched ortho at Loma Linda. It was a great year for us.

I wonder how many initially told Mercer they were going for primary care. Yikes. Ha

i only interviewed in february... do u think i have a chance?

I wonder how many initially told Mercer they were going for primary care. Yikes. Ha

Despite the impressive matches I listed, 43 of the 63 entered some type of primary care specialty (as Mercer defines it, that includes med/peds, general surgery, EM, IM, psychiatry, FM, peds, ob/gyn).

I should also point out that many in our class who chose primary care specialties were among some of the brightest in the class (many of whom were AOA) and landed great primary care residencies at prestigious institutions.

The purpose of my post is to encourage those of you in the application process. Mercer is an excellent school which will get you anywhere you want to go. Where it takes you depends on how hard you are willing to work when you get here.

Good luck to all!

What are your thoughts on Mercer VS Morehouse for residency/reputation. I know Morehouse tends to focus on minority underserved and Mercer on rural underserved but technically Morehouse mission is to serve underserved people if they are rural, urban, or of any ethnicity.

Did anyone get a phone call today? I've been watching my phone...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get a phone call today? I've been watching my phone...

Not yet...I've had my phone next to me all evening. As I'm sitting here stewing, I remembered that if this is the last meeting they have to go to through ALL the files so it might be a little later than usual.

:luck: to everyone still waiting like me

Not yet...I've had my phone next to me all evening. As I'm sitting here stewing, I remembered that if this is the last meeting they have to go to through ALL the files so it might be a little later than usual.
So it might be tomorrow morning, as well. I am keeping myself busy and trying not to think about it. Best of luck to all the other folks waiting on a phone call!

In a way, it's sort of reassuring knowing no one apparently got a call tonight. Means they were thinking hard about us, and will hopefully let us know tomorrow!

Good luck to all.

I know this was the last committee meeting but if you don't hear, don't lose hope because you may still get put on the wait list. Theyre compiling that on March 31 and you hear by April 5. *fingers crossed*:xf:

I know this was the last committee meeting but if you don't hear, don't lose hope because you may still get put on the wait list. Theyre compiling that on March 31 and you hear by April 5. *fingers crossed*:xf:

Maybe I can help provide some answers for you guys..I am on the admissions committee and we had out final meeting last night. Those who were accepted were probably called last night (though each committee member does things differently and some may call this morning).

We also set the alternate list, and without going into specifics I can tell you that if you are on it, you still stand a decent chance of getting in as Mercer usually goes through quite a few. Many med schools overbook their classes knowing people will go elsewhere. Mercer doesn't. That means we rely heavily on our wait-list.

My advice to the rest of you is to not lose hope. I think I speak for most of the committee when I say we were shocked by how many highly qualified applicants we interviewed in the last two-three months of the cycle. If that describes you we probably wished we had a place for you. My advice is that if you really liked Mercer apply again early decision.

As I've posted before, it took me three tries (early decision all three times) before I finally got in. But, Mercer has gotten me exactly where I wanted to be for residency and they can do the same for you as well.

If any of you has any questions, feel free to PM me.

I get the feeling I was one of these applicants you were talking about interviewing late in the cycle.

Still haven't gotten a call, so I'm thinking I should hope for the waitlist now. But, I had thought Dr. Vinson said we would know our status by April 1, not April 5. At this point, 4 more days isn't much, but any little thing helps. Do you know which it is?

Still haven't gotten a call, so I'm thinking I should hope for the waitlist now. But, I had thought Dr. Vinson said we would know our status by April 1, not April 5. At this point, 4 more days isn't much, but any little thing helps. Do you know which it is?
Email from Dr. Vinson said:
Should you be offered a spot on the Wait List, you will be notified by email by April 5th.

All applicants will be notified of their status no later than April 9th.
Probably best to just expect the latest date. Wish I got a call today, but maybe I'll get an email sometime soon. Congrats to those who are in; for the rest of us, just stay sane!

I get the feeling I was one of these applicants you were talking about interviewing late in the cycle.

I'm in the same boat...i was wondering if there is any movement within the waitlist for any reason. If so, how do you all feel about sending a letter at this point?

Just got the email for the alternate list. They want a reply in writing, so I should go snail mail or email?

Just received a rejection letter through email. I think what really hurt me was not being able to turn in the residency form until January. I'm far from home and could never make the trip back to my home county when the courts were open. How did others get around this?

i, too, just got the email about being offered a spot on the alternate list, but i dont see where they want a response in writing.

Just got the email for the alternate list. They want a reply in writing, so I should go snail mail or email?

I just got mine too...mine doesn't say anything about confirmation in writing though...?

Third paragraph in the PDF: "please inform me in writing whether you choose to accept or reject a place on the alternate list."

Third paragraph in the PDF: "please inform me in writing whether you choose to accept or reject a place on the alternate list."

Neither one of my emails (I got the same email twice, maybe they were trying to send the one with the attachment the second time) came with attachments....

I guess I'll have to call the office tomorrow and figure out what's going on....

I just got mine too...mine doesn't say anything about confirmation in writing though...?

I can truly sympathize with those of you who are not getting the response you hoped for this year (having seen both an outright rejection and a wait-list letter before finally receiving that coveted acceptance letter).

Let me re-emphasize my advice from earlier: some of the most impressive candidates came through in the last couple of months of the cycle. We wished we had more spots to offer, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Sit down, relax, get your back-up plan for the coming year figured out and then do a couple of things: first, decide if you can see yourself doing anything besides medicine. If you can, explore that. If not, prepare for the next abuse cycle (I mean admissions cycle).

Next, consider all the schools you looked at this year. Deep down, where would you be happiest, and do the best? Whatever your answer may be, give that school a call and ask to set up a time to speak on the phone or in person with the dean of admissions (Dr. House at Mercer). Ask for specifics on how you could improve your application. At Mercer, they will tell you the truth.

Be prepared to make some changes - don't expect your application to meet a better fate next year if it essentially remains unchanged. If you feel you've bettered your application by late summer, apply early decision at the school where you really want to be.

I wish you all the best. I know this is stressful - that's why I wanted to be on the committee! Since I'm graduating and will no longer be on the committee, please feel free to send me any questions you might have. I have no pull with next year's committee and cannot make any guarantees, but I'd be happy to give you unbiased advice from someone who was rejected twice, ultimately accepted, and will be starting residency in July.

Neither one of my emails (I got the same email twice, maybe they were trying to send the one with the attachment the second time) came with attachments....

I guess I'll have to call the office tomorrow and figure out what's going on....

same, i didnt get an attached pdf, but two copies of the same email offering me a spot

I can truly sympathize with those of you who are not getting the response you hoped for this year (having seen both an outright rejection and a wait-list letter before finally receiving that coveted acceptance letter).

Let me re-emphasize my advice from earlier: some of the most impressive candidates came through in the last couple of months of the cycle. We wished we had more spots to offer, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Sit down, relax, get your back-up plan for the coming year figured out and then do a couple of things: first, decide if you can see yourself doing anything besides medicine. If you can, explore that. If not, prepare for the next abuse cycle (I mean admissions cycle).

Next, consider all the schools you looked at this year. Deep down, where would you be happiest, and do the best? Whatever your answer may be, give that school a call and ask to set up a time to speak on the phone or in person with the dean of admissions (Dr. House at Mercer). Ask for specifics on how you could improve your application. At Mercer, they will tell you the truth.

Be prepared to make some changes - don't expect your application to meet a better fate next year if it essentially remains unchanged. If you feel you've bettered your application by late summer, apply early decision at the school where you really want to be.

I wish you all the best. I know this is stressful - that's why I wanted to be on the committee! Since I'm graduating and will no longer be on the committee, please feel free to send me any questions you might have. I have no pull with next year's committee and cannot make any guarantees, but I'd be happy to give you unbiased advice from someone who was rejected twice, ultimately accepted, and will be starting residency in July.

Thanks for all the insight throughout the application cycle as a committee member!

I also got a spot on the alternate list...YESSSSSSS!!!!! At least we still have a chance! What I don't understand is that the committee still didn't meet (isn't it till March 30th?) to make the alternate list, so how are we already on it?

Maybe we were so awesome that they didn't want to wait another week to let us know! lol :)

Maybe we were so awesome that they didn't want to wait another week to let us know! lol :)

We made the alternate list at our meeting this past Wednesday after deciding who would get the last few admission offers.

same, i didnt get an attached pdf, but two copies of the same email offering me a spot

I emailed Mrs. Vinson this morning and she said that an email reply would be sufficient to accept your position on the alternate list. Could someone who received the email with PDF attachments post those attachments on here?

Thanks again!

Well, looks like it will have to be next year for me. Got my rejection letter yesterday. But at least I know!

To all those on the waitlist, best wishes! To all those accepted, congrats and maybe I'll see you in a year or two.

Also got place on the alternate list. Interviewed in early December. Rejected my spot. Hope it clears up a place for someone else!

If we respond yes to being placed on the alternate list are we supposed to get a response saying they received our email or do we assume that we have been placed on the alternate list now?

If we respond yes to being placed on the alternate list are we supposed to get a response saying they received our email or do we assume that we have been placed on the alternate list now?

You can call the number in the email (that's what I did just to make sure that they had my name and to make sure that there wasn't any paperwork or other information since that email was REALLY short). Except for that, if you reply to the email saying that you want to be on the list they SHOULD make a note of it and you SHOULD be good to go!

FYI (for alternate listers): When I called the office, they said that you have 10 days to decide whether or not you would like to accept the spot from when you receive the letter.

All in all, I would definitely call or email the office if you have any questions. They seem more than willing to help you.

You can call the number in the email (that's what I did just to make sure that they had my name and to make sure that there wasn't any paperwork or other information since that email was REALLY short). Except for that, if you reply to the email saying that you want to be on the list they SHOULD make a note of it and you SHOULD be good to go!

FYI (for alternate listers): When I called the office, they said that you have 10 days to decide whether or not you would like to accept the spot from when you receive the letter.

All in all, I would definitely call or email the office if you have any questions. They seem more than willing to help you.

Thanks newyorker. Man, I hope the wait list moves!!!

i emailed, no confirmation. i'm sure it's fine. it'd be nice to know where we are on the list though!

Based off of last year's thread (google '2009 Mercer application thread'), most of the movement came in between May 18 and June 2. So I think it would be best (for all of our states of mind) to expect to wait another month. We can always hope for something sooner, of course. :luck:

I've been getting several PMs from you guys so I thought I would post some general information just to clear things up in case any of you are wondering.

1. Again, unlike most schools Mercer doesn't overbook its classes which means without question there will be movement on the wait list. May 15 is the day the AAMC requires students holding multiple acceptances to make a final choice and let the other schools know. Therefore, most of the movement will occur in the weeks just before and after May 15. However, expect some movement into June and even July

2. Your place on the wait list is set and cannot be changed at this point. In fact, decision about who comes off the list are completely left up to the dean at this point and are out of the committee's hands. Simeco and Dr. House are very nice but will not be able to tell you how many people were on the list, where you stand, what your chances are, how much movement there has been, etc.

3. Preparing/submitting your 2011-2012 application before you find out for sure whether you're accepted/rejected will NOT hurt your wait list status. In fact, you SHOULD have your AAMCAS submitted on the first possible day since you also have to think about next year.

4. If you're on the wait list (or if you were rejected) I highly recommend calling and asking to make an appointment to go over your file with Dr. House. She'll be honest with you about weaknesses in your application and things you can do to improve. If you really want to be a doctor, I'd definitely give her a call

5. If you really liked Mercer, consider our early decision program. We accept a very high percentage of out class though the program and we tend to take people with slightly lower stats since we know they are committed to Mercer and our mission.

Hope this helps! Let me know if there are any other questions.

I know most of the movement occurs in May, but has anybody heard of anybody getting off of the waitlist already?

Hey guys,

Has anyone heard back from financial aid yet? Or does anyone have more specifics on the time frame for financial aid? I submitted mine back at beginning of March and still nothing...

Thanks!

I just spoke to someone in the Mercer admissions office abitu my file to get some admissions counseling while I am on the wait list. They were very nice on the phone and took the notes from the interviews to give me ways to improve my application for next year (if I need to apply again next year). I definitely recommend giving them a call if you are at all curious or wanting to apply in the next cycle.

This wait is awful!! Studying for tests and then finals is so much harder while waiting to hear about wait list situation! I really hope there is a lot of movement this year!!

I can't find the cost of tuition on Mercer's website - can anyone help?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.