2010-2011 Mercer Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was interviewd on Nov.30th and received an acceptance call near 6ish today from my student interviewer. FYI. Good luck everyone!!:)

Who were your interviewers?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on 12/7 and got a phone call yesterday at around 6 as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose Macon to be closer to my girlfriend. And then we broke up.. doh! :(

:laugh: That's rough, sorry!

I'm going to Savannah...I'm a non-trad and I've done the college campus thing for waaaay too many years. Savannah is on the hospital campus. Plus, Savannah has the beach and St. Patty's Day!

for those accepted...any campus preferences? and why?

Macon for me. I'm from Warner Robins (~20 miles south of Macon) so it seemed the logical choice. School is going to be expensive enough without having to worry about rent and such!

for those accepted...any campus preferences? and why?

I picked Macon for two main reasons.... first of all, I'm from Athens, so it's closer to home and family. A two hour drive is definitely more preferable than a five hour drive. Secondly, I had a conversation about it with both of my interviewers, and they both made good points for either campus; however, my adcom interviewer noted that he believed the only reason Savannah was picked was for location (either to be near home or to simply be in Savannah), whereas the Macon campus had the resources of a larger institution at hand, with more faculty, access to the main library, gym, etc. I agreed with him on this point completely. I think it was a point also driven home by some of the MS4 students. Though, this may only matter if you're going to take advantage of those resources.

I think if you're having trouble deciding which campus to pick, I'd take a tour at both campuses, sit in on a class, talk to some of the students and ask yourself which place feels more like "home" for four years. If after all of that, it simply comes down to which city you'd rather live in, then so be it.

anyone have any idea how many acceptances they have given out or how many spots are left?

I turned in my stuff rather late (took forever to get be home to get a judge to sign my residency form since I'm doing my Masters in another state) and I didnt get all my materials in until Dec 6. Literally 10 minutes after getting an email for my completed app i got an interview phone call for Feb 1st.

I just can't help but feel that since it's so late in the game that I'm applying for a waitlist spot at best (not to mention im a re-applicant).

As usual, fingers crossed. :xf:

anyone have any idea how many acceptances they have given out or how many spots are left?

I believe about half of the class (50 seats) were accepted with early decision in September. There have been three adcom meetings since then, if I'm correct (Oct./Nov./Dec.), but I do not know how many acceptances were given out after those meetings. There have obviously been some acceptances -- given comments here and additions to our Facebook page. So, I suppose you could estimate anywhere from 60 to 80 seats have been taken?

However, I wouldn't spend much time fretting over the number of seats left. I think an immediate interview invitation is a good sign that they are interested in you. It's my impression that Mercer does favor re-applicants overall. I myself was a re-applicant (this time, with early decision), and there were quite a few others who have been accepted that were re-applicants. I'd stay positive and do your very best at the interview. If you didn't interview last year, you might check out the interview feedback on Mercer to know what to expect. My experience was very conversational and casual. I actually enjoyed my interview.

However, if it doesn't work out for you this year, I'd probably recommend you go the early decision route next year if you are truly interested in Mercer. If there's one thing I learned my first time applying, it was that a late application does you no good.

I had an interview scheduled for Jan. 6th in Savannah; however, I just withdrew my application. I hope someone special gets my interview spot! Best of luck everyone!!

I was complete way back in September and have yet to hear anything. Do I have a chance at this school? The fact that someone just posted how they got an interview invite after applying in December is very discouraging.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete way back in September and have yet to hear anything. Do I have a chance at this school? The fact that someone just posted how they got an interview invite after applying in December is very discouraging.

Honestly, yes. I was complete in August and JUST got an invite on Thursday. You know, its really a crapshoot with medical school applications: I have friends who have low stats and got interviews way before me and applied months later. I had written off Mercer after already getting into MCG until the invite. I would not advise calling them to ask them about your status though because when I tried that, I was told nothing other than "If you get an interview, you will be contacted by telephone".

unless someone else was recently informed otherwise, yes, they met yesterday. unfortunately my phone never rang. :(

Is there a lot of movement in March and April especially off the wait list usually for Mercer?

I got a confirmation that my file was complete for reg app back on October 5th, but am yet to hear something. Do you guys think it is a good idea to call Ms. Coleman to find out? Or am I going the way of silent rejection/waitlist?

All personal knowledge and opinion!

Is there a lot of movement in March and April especially off the wait list usually for Mercer?

Yes, Mercer typically matriculates waitlisted students because applicants (w/ MCG acceptance) go to MCG (because $). That being said, year-to-year cycles are irregular, so this year may be different. In addition, they selecte waitlisted applicants March 31st, and interview are almost filled.

I got a confirmation that my file was complete for reg app back on October 5th, but am yet to hear something. Do you guys think it is a good idea to call Ms. Coleman to find out? Or am I going the way of silent rejection/waitlist?

I would call! Being honest, Mercer has filled many of their interview spots for Feb. and, most likely, March, but you never know!

I would call! Being honest, Mercer has filled many of their interview spots for Feb. and, most likely, March, but you never know!

Got a rejection e-mail earlier today:(

Yes, Mercer typically matriculates waitlisted students because applicants (w/ MCG acceptance) go to MCG (because $). That being said, year-to-year cycles are irregular, so this year may be different. In addition, they selecte waitlisted applicants March 31st, and interview are almost filled.

Thank you dacebaMD. I am just wondering because I interviewed last semester, but have yet to hear anything still. My friend who interviewed in October just got the call last month so I'm still praying I will get one sometime this cycle. :xf:

Got a rejection e-mail earlier today:(

Sorry fullset, I wish you the best of luck. :(

Thank you dacebaMD. I am just wondering because I interviewed last semester, but have yet to hear anything still. My friend who interviewed in October just got the call last month so I'm still praying I will get one sometime this cycle. :xf:

No problem. We are in the same boat. Congrats, to your buddy. Hopefully, we will both hear a call next month :)

Hey, I'm in the boat too. I interviewed Nov 16 and haven't heard anything. Don't let the bastards get you down.

What type of scholarships does Mercer offer? I have an interview coming up and am trying to decide whether or not to go. I have already got an MCG acceptance and would most likely not go to Mercer unless they can make the cost competitive with MCG. Anyone know of any scholarships, how many, etc... Thanks

What type of scholarships does Mercer offer? I have an interview coming up and am trying to decide whether or not to go. I have already got an MCG acceptance and would most likely not go to Mercer unless they can make the cost competitive with MCG. Anyone know of any scholarships, how many, etc... Thanks

You can take the rural practice (country doctor) scholarship, but I believe that is also offered at MCG. The HPSP is also an option. Other than that I believe it is HIGHLY need AND mission based.

I completed my application around the same time as you, but I didn't get an interview invite until about mid-December. My interview was scheduled for the 20th of January, the day after the January committee meeting, which means I have had to wait for this entire month for a decision. I am climbing the walls.
P.S. They told me they still had something like a third of the class to fill, so maybe there is hope yet!

I completed my application around the same time as you, but I didn't get an interview invite until about mid-December. My interview was scheduled for the 20th of January, the day after the January committee meeting, which means I have had to wait for this entire month for a decision. I am climbing the walls.
P.S. They told me they still had something like a third of the class to fill, so maybe there is hope yet!

I really hope there are many spots left. I interviewed in November and have been waiting since then! I really really hope I get in as do all of us though.

I was accepted in December back in 2010, but I'm also waiting to hear from other schools. Mercer sent me some fnancial paper works, and it says that I need to put school code on FAFSA and etc. They said to turn the paper woks in asap, but sigining in those paper work and turning them in early will mean that I will be obliged to go to the Mercer only? In the worst case which that I will be waitlisted in other school, when is the date that I can make the final decision? I think I'm just so confused......

I interviewed last year at the beginning of February and didn’t get in. After the cycle was complete I had a phone conference with Dr. Clifton. He gave me a few pointers and encouraged me to reapply EDP the next cycle, which I did. I ended up being part of the first interview group for this cycle and got in. I’m saying this only because I agree with one of the above posters, Mercer loves ED applicants. They want to know/see that your mission compliant and you want to attend MUSM. Good luck….

When you fill out your FAFSA, indicate every school to which you are applying, and then it will be relevant, no matter which school you choose. FAFSA doesn't require you to know which school you will be attending, and I think they give boxes for multiple school codes. Codes should be searchable on the FAFSA website, or you can get them online, or from the individual schools' admissions/financial aid people.

Thank you, gjr227.

Other than filing the FAFSA, Mercer sends the green papers for financial aid and they need it by April 1, 2010.
There are some loan program listed, and I need to sign if I want that program for borrowing the money.... I was wondering if filing these documents will affect my withdrawal later....Other than that, I think it's better to fill the forms earilier and turn them in asap.

No, not a peep! Losing my mind a little bit here.

nada

guess it's time to go out drinking and start counting down to next month!

I interviewed Jan 18th and haven't heard anything
:/

I don't think loan papers are ever binding until the loan has disbursed and you've spent the money. Then you have to pay it back :)
No, seriously, I don't think proceeding on your financial paperwork is at all binding. I would go ahead.

DacebaMD,

Have you any idea whether the committee met last Wednesday, or if they are actually meeting this Wednesday? Seems odd that no one heard anything last week at all...

DacebaMD,

Have you any idea whether the committee met last Wednesday, or if they are actually meeting this Wednesday? Seems odd that no one heard anything last week at all...

Gjr227,
The committee did meet last Wednesday. A friend of mine received her acceptance call around 6-6:30. The next one is March 23rd and the waitlist is March 30th.

Last edited:
Thank you, dacebamd.
That's great news for your friend; I will try to do a better job of holding my breath for now :p

Thank you, dacebamd.
That's great news for your friend; I will try to do a better job of holding my breath for now :p

No problem. I understand, I can't stand the waiting game either! :D

I interviewed last year at the beginning of February and didn’t get in. After the cycle was complete I had a phone conference with Dr. Clifton. He gave me a few pointers and encouraged me to reapply EDP the next cycle, which I did. I ended up being part of the first interview group for this cycle and got in. I’m saying this only because I agree with one of the above posters, Mercer loves ED applicants. They want to know/see that your mission compliant and you want to attend MUSM. Good luck….

jbbryant,
Last year, were you waitlisted? That was nice of Dr. Clifton to advise you. May I ask what you did during this year or were you already working somewhere? Thanks and glad you got your acceptance this time!

Yes, please answer! Right now waiting on Mercer and MCG but don't expect much. Would love to go to Mercer if I had to reapply and would do EDP in a heartbeat. Just wish I had known more about Mercer when I made the decision to do RD.

It was nice of Dr. Clifton to speak with me but I'm sure anyone in his position would do the same. I believe it’s the applicant who needs to make contact and ask the questions. The first thing he mentioned was how late I interviewed. He said I was competing for just a few spots and the number one thing to do is apply very early and EDP if possible. In addition, he was pretty straight forward in telling me how to make my application stronger. He told me I didn’t do a very good job showing my commitment to primary care and the committee had some doubts about whether or not I’d stay in Georgia to practice. To fix my application I started volunteering at a primary care indigent health care clinic and reapplied EDP. During the next cycle, I of course made sure to talk about my volunteering and I made sure my interviewers knew I planned on staying in rural Georgia. I have a full time job so I couldn’t make volunteering my life but they want to see a commitment to their mission statement. Mercer wants to see three things, 1. You want to practice in primary care. 2. You want to practice in Georgia. 3. You want to attend Mercer (specifically). If you want to go to Mercer, prove these 3 things at your interview…. I hope this helps… oh, and I didn't get wait-listed my first cycle, I got denied. ouch

Thanks for the info - you did a great job of turning a disappointing situation into an acceptance. Have a great year!

Status
Not open for further replies.