2010-2011 Mercer Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find the cost of tuition on Mercer's website - can anyone help?
Thanks.

I didn't see it on their website, but according to US News, tuition is $39,860. Were you accepted off the waitlist uwg?

Members don't see this ad.

No, just trying get a comparison of Mercer's and MGC's tuition. I only recently discovered who Blake Griffin is lol - he's pretty amazing...

No, just trying get a comparison of Mercer's and MGC's tuition. I only recently discovered who Blake Griffin is lol - he's pretty amazing...

Yeah man he is amazing haha. Anyways, I think MCG tuitionwise is cheaper than Mercer.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCG costs (for residents--I figure no one in here is a non-resident) is $31, 663. So you're talking, at the end of 4 years, about a $40,000 difference between MCG and Mercer. That's not terrible for a private school really, especially considering how cheap MCG is nationwide.

Thanks for the responses. I could find the MGG tuition, and I know it's less than Mercer, but I just can't find Mercer's dollar amount. Knowing that Mercer's about $10,000 more per year helps, and you're right -- in the scheme of things, that's not a huge difference. I'll be going into debt either way!

Thanks for the responses. I could find the MGG tuition, and I know it's less than Mercer, but I just can't find Mercer's dollar amount. Knowing that Mercer's about $10,000 more per year helps, and you're right -- in the scheme of things, that's not a huge difference. I'll be going into debt either way!

The 40,000 was without any extra fees I believe. The MCG with 31,000 is with all the random fees included and it brought the tuition up almost 9,000 dollars. If Mercer has similar fees (which I am not sure of but it would make sense that they also charge for books, tech fee, etc.) and for comparison lets just say 8,000 dollars, then it would be 48,000 total. That would be 68,000 difference after four years.

Hope this helps. This is semi-speculation with MCG tuition and fees (http://www.georgiahealth.edu/som/admit/financial/tuition.html) as example for simulating Mercer's cost after tuition. Sorry if this doesn't help!

Not sure about this upcoming year. But from the 2010-2011 Bulletin (http://medicine.mercer.edu/files/md.pdf page 72):

Doctor of Medicine
The 2010-2011 freshmen tuition is listed below. The other expenses listed are based on expected costs to the student during the first year of attendance (43 weeks/11 months). The expense allowances for students in other classes are based on the number of weeks/months in the enrollment period.
Tuition $39,860
Facility and Technology Fee 200
Books/Equipment 2,900
Living Expenses 21,100
Total $64,060

The MCG numbers (31, 663) I got were tuition + various school costs without adding in living expenses. Generally add between 12,000 (that's what my living expenses are now in Athens) to 20,000 to that number to get overall total. They added 21,000 with Mercer and you get that scary 64,000. But I'm not sure how realistic 21,000 really is. It seems to be a very generous estimation.

Can anyone offer advice on applying to Mercer late this cycle? Will be taking the MCAT in August so my application will not be complete until September. My Stats are: BCPM 3.61 AO 3.80 Total 3.65. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm curious if they actually accept people this late in the cycle.

Can anyone offer advice on applying to Mercer late this cycle? Will be taking the MCAT in August so my application will not be complete until September. My Stats are: BCPM 3.61 AO 3.80 Total 3.65. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm curious if they actually accept people this late in the cycle.

Sure, they do but there's no question you'll be complete a lot later than everyone else which will put you at a disadvantage.

On the other hand, the disadvantage could be overcome depending on several factors such as where you're from (think Hahira vs the metro area), what kind of ties you have to Georgia (how long have you/your family been in Georgia and how much of your family lives in Georgia?), where you did undergrad, what your major was, and how likely they feel you are to return to an underserved area of Georgia if you attend Mercer.

Also, if you are a minority that will help.

If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

In other news - I just graduated from Mercer this past Saturday and am getting ready to start my residency in orthopaedic surgery in Ohio! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you guys.

In other news - I just graduated from Mercer this past Saturday and am getting ready to start my residency in orthopaedic surgery in Ohio! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you guys.

Congrats!! And good luck! I'd say break a leg, but that's a terrible pun. :)

Has anyone heard of any waitlist movement so far? Or how many people are on the waitlist?
Also, congratulations, GAdoc!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all that have been accepted! Just have a quick question for those that have received acceptances. What were you GPA/MCAT's, and did you apply EDP or regular decision? I'm getting ready to begin the 2012 cycle and trying to decide whether to apply EDP to Mercer or MCG.

Thanks in advance!

Mercer likes people who really want to go there...They took about half the class early decision this year. I saw your stats in the MCG thread and I definitely think you're competitive for Mercer, especially if you're from a small town, want to do primary care, and have primary care shadowing experience. Your GPA is fine and your MCAT is at the average for Mercer. You may get an invite from MCG if you did RD since you seem to have a lot of experience, but idk.

Last edited:
Mercer likes people who really want to go there...They took about half the class early decision this year. I saw your stats in the MCG thread and I definitely think you're competitive for Mercer, especially if you're from a small town, want to do primary care, and have primary care shadowing experience. Your GPA is fine and your MCAT is at the average for Mercer. You may get an invite from MCG if you did RD since you seem to have a lot of experience, but idk.

Thanks for your input! I can't remember if I posted it in the MCG thread, but I have interviewed at MUSOM in the past (2010 cycle) so I know the deal there. I really did like Mercer when I interviewed so I'm not really sure why I'm so adamant about applying EDP to MCG. I guess I just feel like if I was to have any shot at MCG I would have to give it a try early as I am aware of a couple of instances where people with very similar stats as me have gotten in that way.

Thanks for your input! I can't remember if I posted it in the MCG thread, but I have interviewed at MUSOM in the past (2010 cycle) so I know the deal there. I really did like Mercer when I interviewed so I'm not really sure why I'm so adamant about applying EDP to MCG. I guess I just feel like if I was to have any shot at MCG I would have to give it a try early as I am aware of a couple of instances where people with very similar stats as me have gotten in that way.

Hey 4thQT,

It sounds like you really want to go to MCG and I would encourage you to do EDP. I also saw your stats on the MCG posts and some of my friends got in this cycle with your stats during EDP. One had a 27 and the other had 28 and they both had similar GPAs. Apply EDP early and let them know that you really want to go there! That's the best advice I can give you. Sometimes its worth waiting if thats the place we really want to be

Hey I'm just curious if anyone knows how many people are accepted in total for this years app cycle? Also does anyone know how it's divided between Macon and savannah?

Hey I'm just curious if anyone knows how many people are accepted in total for this years app cycle? Also does anyone know how it's divided between Macon and savannah?

I think its 60 Macon and 40 Savannah. I could be wrong though

I was told by the office that there would be a lot of movement starting on May 17th, but this forum has been silent lately. Does anyone know what's going on?

I was told by the office that there would be a lot of movement starting on May 17th, but this forum has been silent lately. Does anyone know what's going on?

Did you mean to post this on the Pre-Pharmacy page?

Did you mean to post this on the Pre-Pharmacy page?

No, though I am a pharmacy student at Mercer. I posted for a friend of mine who is on the wait list for the medical school.

Sure, they do but there's no question you'll be complete a lot later than everyone else which will put you at a disadvantage.

On the other hand, the disadvantage could be overcome depending on several factors such as where you're from (think Hahira vs the metro area), what kind of ties you have to Georgia (how long have you/your family been in Georgia and how much of your family lives in Georgia?), where you did undergrad, what your major was, and how likely they feel you are to return to an underserved area of Georgia if you attend Mercer.

Also, if you are a minority that will help.

If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

I was not born in GA but have been here for 8 years and really not wanting to leave! I am def wanting to attend Mercer and have talked to some of the people at the Savannah campus. It is my first choice because of the PBL learning style. I hope that even though I am not a Georgia native they will see my sincerity in wanting to stay here. Congratulations on graduating as well!!! I hope I can say that one day :)

For real, has anyone heard anything? I thought Mercer usually had a lot of WL movement because they don't overaccept the class? I'm on 4 waitlists--I really liked Mercer and I thought it was my best chance.......Now I'm thinking not so much if there have been so few acceptances....

Anybody heard any waitlist movement???

For real, has anyone heard anything? I thought Mercer usually had a lot of WL movement because they don't overaccept the class? I'm on 4 waitlists--I really liked Mercer and I thought it was my best chance.......Now I'm thinking not so much if there have been so few acceptances....

Well, there has been movement according to the admissions office....approximately 2 a day. Its slow but surely people are getting pulled. Mercer is one of my top choices so I am anxious as well, however I might have to settle for elsewhere because I can not wait too long.

Does anyone mind posting their GPA/MCAT and EC's that have been accepted to Mercer? Would like to have an idea if I am competitive if I apply late this cycle :)

Does anyone mind posting their GPA/MCAT and EC's that have been accepted to Mercer? Would like to have an idea if I am competitive if I apply late this cycle :)

The answers to this post are relevant to my interests. Also, does anyone feel that Mercer frowns upon those that don't apply EDP?

They don't frown upon regular decision applicants, but 49 of the 100 spots were filled from EDP, so there's that. Now I don't know how many apply and interview through EDP, but when I interviewed thru regular decision I was told they interview ~10/week and regular decision interviews go on for what, 4 or 5 months? So your odds are definitely better going EDP. I think the avg MCAT for EDP matriculants this cycle was 26, I don't remember the GPAs though

They don't frown upon regular decision applicants, but 49 of the 100 spots were filled from EDP, so there's that. Now I don't know how many apply and interview through EDP, but when I interviewed thru regular decision I was told they interview ~10/week and regular decision interviews go on for what, 4 or 5 months? So your odds are definitely better going EDP. I think the avg MCAT for EDP matriculants this cycle was 26, I don't remember the GPAs though

Having served on Mercer's ADCOM this past year I can say we don't frown on people not doing EDP - it's just that we want to know you're serious enough about Mercer to put all your eggs in that basket. Last year we had around 100 EDP applicants and close to 50 were accepted. That's pretty good odds.

I would recommend not worrying too much about GPA/MCAT unless you fall to one extreme. I don't mean to give the impression they're not important, but we certainly accept people with very low stats and we reject people with excellent stats. As with any med school, there's more to the equation than numbers. We want someone who can demonstrate a commitment first to medicine, second to Georgia, and third to serving the underserved. And by demonstrate I don't meant coming to your interview just saying you want to do those things.

The ideal Mercer applicant is someone with roots in underserved areas of Georgia. The way we see it, someone who says they want to practice in an underserved area is more likely to do so if they're actually from an underserved area.

Having served on Mercer's ADCOM this past year I can say we don't frown on people not doing EDP - it's just that we want to know you're serious enough about Mercer to put all your eggs in that basket. Last year we had around 100 EDP applicants and close to 50 were accepted. That's pretty good odds.

I would recommend not worrying too much about GPA/MCAT unless you fall to one extreme. I don't mean to give the impression they're not important, but we certainly accept people with very low stats and we reject people with excellent stats. As with any med school, there's more to the equation than numbers. We want someone who can demonstrate a commitment first to medicine, second to Georgia, and third to serving the underserved. And by demonstrate I don't meant coming to your interview just saying you want to do those things.

The ideal Mercer applicant is someone with roots in underserved areas of Georgia. The way we see it, someone who says they want to practice in an underserved area is more likely to do so if they're actually from an underserved area.

I really appreciate this response. Honestly, it's nothing that I didn't really know before, but hearing it straight from a former member of the ADCOM is refreshing. The more I think about it, the more Mercer just seems like a much better fit for me. Will most likely go ahead with the EDP...

I really appreciate this response. Honestly, it's nothing that I didn't really know before, but hearing it straight from a former member of the ADCOM is refreshing. The more I think about it, the more Mercer just seems like a much better fit for me. Will most likely go ahead with the EDP...

I'm feeling the same way! Just wish I would have planned on taking the MCAT earlier so I could do EDP.!

Accepted off waitlist! Good luck to those still waiting to hear :)

Status
Not open for further replies.