2010-2011 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi- question for accepted students. when does orientation and classes start for baylor? I remember it being earlier than other places. I have not been accepted, but want to make sure my summer plans don't overlap just in case :)

Orientation starts July 25th. Attendance is required. Actual classes start August 1st, I believe.

Members don't see this ad.

could any current students advise me about what loans to apply for on the financial aid form? i have like..2 dollars in the bank. haha. should i just apply for all of them? i don't want to run out of money! eep!:scared:

could any current students advise me about what loans to apply for on the financial aid form? i have like..2 dollars in the bank. haha. should i just apply for all of them? i don't want to run out of money! eep!:scared:

I would like to know the answer to this question too.

In particular, there is an item called

Williams, Ben & Grade Std Asst Loan

Is this loan better or worse than the unsubsidized Stafford loan, in terms of interests rate, loan origination fees, etc. ? If it is worse, I may want to turn this down as it is not that much (as compared to unsubsidized Stafford loan).

In terms of desirability of loans, is the order like:

sunsidized Stafford >>> unsubsidized Stafford > all other loans (excluding the purely need-based loans like Perkin's loan)

If I want to reduce the amount of loan as specified in the award letter, how can I notify the financial aid office of this? By email?

Also, assuming that everything is completed in time on my end, when can I expect to receive the money? In August?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone waiting to hear from Baylor in the next couple of weeks! If I don't get the call myself, I hope someone who's as excited about the school as I am gets to hear Dr. Greenberg's wonderful voice - I know it would be incredibly amazing to get the call!

I would like to know the answer to this question too.

In particular, there is an item called

Williams, Ben & Grade Std Asst Loan

Is this loan better or worse than the unsubsidized Stafford loan, in terms of interests rate, loan origination fees, etc. ? If it is worse, I may want to turn this down as it is not that much (as compared to unsubsidized Stafford loan).

In terms of desirability of loans, is the order like:

sunsidized Stafford >>> unsubsidized Stafford > all other loans (excluding the purely need-based loans like Perkin's loan)

If I want to reduce the amount of loan as specified in the award letter, how can I notify the financial aid office of this? By email?

Also, assuming that everything is completed in time on my end, when can I expect to receive the money? In August?

Thanks!

I haven't heard of that particular loan program. You have the desirability correct. You will have the opportunity to decline money after you arrive at school and before it is disbursed. It will be disbursed in August, after school starts. I can't remember what day exactly.

MIDmonkey, I'd apply for anything you qualify for. The financial aid people will go through sources in a logical order when they award you money. In other words, they max out your Staffords before moving on to other sources with higher/earlier accruing interest. If you run out of money or have an extenuating circumstance after school starts, the financial aid office is good about finding 'emergency' funds.

Good luck NeuroKidd, et al!

Did anyone who got accepted use AP credits to fulfill their basic science requirements (mainly chemistry, since they don't require physics)?

Congratulations to all those accepted!

Did anyone who got accepted use AP credits to fulfill their basic science requirements (mainly chemistry, since they don't require physics)?

Congratulations to all those accepted!

I used chem AP to fulfill my general chemistry requirement. I did also have a year of lab-based biochem on top of that in college, but it was in the biology department, not in chem.

Just got the call!!! Oh my this is the best day ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used AP for my Gen Chem requirement. However, as a Biochemistry major I had some upper level Physical Chemistry classes. If you don't plan on taking any higher level chemistry classes than Orgo I would check with each school you plan on applying to just to make sure it won't be a problem.

Just wondering if anyone has contacted Baylor and gotten any information about their position on the WL. Rumor was the school might have that information if we called around this time.

Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Just wondering if anyone has contacted Baylor and gotten any information about their position on the WL. Rumor was the school might have that information if we called around this time.

I have been wondering the same thing; also, good luck to everyone else waiting!

Just got the call!!! Oh my this is the best day ever.

Congrats! I still remember when I got my call...As soon as I got off the phone I stepped outside onto my front porch and just screamed "Yes!!!!" My neighbor mowing his lawn was probably very confused and/or worried about my mental health.

Grats on all the calls! Hope there are more going out in the near future!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):) I REALLY hope I get that call soon.......................Also I called and they wouldn't tell me where I was on the waitlist....figured....that wasn't my original intent though of calling it was because I was panicking cuz someone stole my phone and I thought for some odd reason they MIGHT have called....:(....but it's all good...patience...:):)

I've reserved an apartment at Lanesborough, but I'm extremely clueless about utilities. Can anyone recommend any gas, electric, internet, etc companies?

I've reserved an apartment at Lanesborough, but I'm extremely clueless about utilities. Can anyone recommend any gas, electric, internet, etc companies?

i use Bounce Energy. there are a lot of different energy companies out here. whatever you choose, go with a plan that has a fixed rate. the variable rates might seem attractive but they really do fluctuate and people end up paying more on those

the office at lanesborough should be able to recommend some companies to you as well. i know when i moved in at the Greenbriar (across the street), i was given a website listing a bunch of energy companies from which to choose. if i remembered that website, i'd forward to you. unfortunately, i do not :/

For internet/tv i use Comcast.

if you aren't part of the incoming class FB group yet, i would recommend joining. lot's of helpful information on there that may help address any other similar questions!

I'll be at Lanesborough next year too! Building 2. I'm teaching in Houston right now, and I will likely transfer most of the providers I have at my current apartment.

For insurance, e-Renter's is the way to go. I think Lanesborough recommends them anyway. (~$20 a month)

For electricity I use Champion Energy Services. They are a smaller company, but have a low rate and I've been happy with them. You can choose pretty much any electric company you want... there is even a government website that lists all of the companies and updated rates (http://www.powertochoose.org/). Should be between $60 and $150 a month, depending on the time of year.

Comcast seems to have the monopoly on cable/internet. They offer a bundle package with internet, cable, and a land line if you wish. The package runs ~$100-140... they offer a deal the first year, not for subsequent years.

Lanesborough should track your water usage, sewer, and trash. You will pay them (usually less than $30 month). At my current apartment complex, they add it to your rent. I'm not sure how it works there, Lanesborough might send you a separate bill. And, you shouldn't have any gas bills, just electric.

That should be about it for utilities. Let me know if you have any other questions! Look forward to meeting all fellow MS1s!

thanks for the advice! cabrera, i'll also be in building 2! maybe we'll be neighbors!

Centerpoint gas, Bounce, AT&T for high speed internet and my cell service.

I definitely second Jturkel on getting a fixed rate electric contract. I did my initial contract for 1 year, and just signed up for a 2 year fixed rate.

I remember Dr. Eddins-Folensbee mentioning that there would be a date where waitlisted applicants could call and get that info. I believe it was mentioned while she was talking about the deadline to withdraw acceptances from other Texas medical schools which is June 15th. So maybe closer to that date they will give some info if you call?... I will probably try in the next week or so anyway, and I'll see what they say.

hey, canjosh! you've given me a lot of good advice over the past few months. thank you! :)

Probably going to call later this week too. Hopefully they'll be able to give some insight into where we are on the list.

No one got off the wait list this week? Seriously........ I find it strange. Is class full?

Yeah, I think there were a few. SDN is not a particularly accurate way to sample.

Thanks...... I think it is time to give up on Baylor :(! Looks like it was never meant to be.

No one got off the wait list this week? Seriously........ I find it strange. Is class full?

Just withdrew from Baylor a couple of days ago (right after I had accepted an offer from an OOS school.) Good luck to everyone who's still waiting! (and I'm IS, if it matters.)

So the class is likely not full.

Last edited:
I've been out of the country for a while. Does the admissions office respond to anyone's emails? They don't to mine. Really hoping there's still a chance for that waitlist to move!

just spoke with admissions
the class is full

I don't really get what this means. My first impression is, "Of course the class is full, that's why we're waiting for people to decline their seat so a spot off the wait list can open up." I know there are still people holding a seat at BCM and getting offers from other schools, so the wait list might still move.

Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.