2010-2011 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewed Feb.18, just received the waitlist letter as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Though being told "something" feels great after waiting all this time, I am now starting to wonder how selective the wait list really is. If you interview are you automatically on the wait list? (ie; UT Houston stated this very fact on their twitter page) or is being on the wait list another step closer? Agony I tell ya!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure everyone who interviews is automatically on the waitlist. It seems like a lot of schools do this (Emory, Mount, Sinai, Vanderbilt just to name a few) :(. At my interview day they said you could call to get some idea of your position on the waitlist near June 15 if you still haven't heard anything and are holding another Texas acceptance (after June 15, they can't offer a position to any applicant holding an acceptance to another Texas school).

I'm pretty sure everyone who interviews is automatically on the waitlist. It seems like a lot of schools do this (Emory, Mount, Sinai, Vanderbilt just to name a few) :(. At my interview day they said you could call to get some idea of your position on the waitlist near June 15 if you still haven't heard anything and are holding another Texas acceptance (after June 15, they can't offer a position to any applicant holding an acceptance to another Texas school).

MOST get waitlisted. there are post-interview rejections, but these are not common.

fwiw, i know plenty of classmates who interviewed early and late that got waitlisted and got in off the waitlist in april and may, so keep your hopes up! best of luck! :luck:

So, how many acceptances off the waitlist have there been in past years?

Also waitlisted, and very resentful because I have way above average stats for Baylor. Something I've been trying to deal with this whole cycle now.

I met a future classmate at the Second Look. She interviewed on the last day, Feb. 25th and she got the call to be accepted two weeks later. So there are people that got accepted from Jan and Feb. I know some people were commenting that there weren't any acceptances from Jan/Feb, but there are, just that they are not posting it here.

Don't give up hope. Your number can be pulled off the waitlist no matter when you interviewed. Good luck!!!!

Also waitlisted, and very resentful because I have way above average stats for Baylor. Something I've been trying to deal with this whole cycle now.

numbers are exactly that...number. i was always told that it's the numbers that get you the interview, and your interview and ECs that get you the acceptance. don't put everything on the numbers.

off topic but fwiw....my state school (arizona) rejected people with 38s this yr. numbers only get you so far..there are so many other factors.

That's impressive considering Baylor is among the top schools in terms of matriculant statistics. I'm sorry you're resentful. I understand this is a stressful process; therefore, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're not as arrogant as your statement suggests. Jturk has it right. The interviewers are actually blinded to an applicant's gpa and mcat score, so it takes more than just good scores to be accepted.

I met a future classmate at the Second Look. She interviewed on the last day, Feb. 25th and she got the call to be accepted two weeks later. So there are people that got accepted from Jan and Feb. I know some people were commenting that there weren't any acceptances from Jan/Feb, but there are, just that they are not posting it here.

Don't give up hope. Your number can be pulled off the waitlist no matter when you interviewed. Good luck!!!!

What did you guys think of the second look weekend? It was resurrected after several years of not doing it and I'm curious to know what you liked, didn't like, etc. I'm also curious if it helped people actually decide if they wanted to attend Baylor (or not to attend). I ask because you're going to have the opportunity to do "second looks" at some residency programs 4 years from now, and there's a lot of debate regarding how helpful this is in terms of making a final decision.

I thought the second-look weekend was great overall. The part that I personally least enjoyed was dessert at Dean Flossy's house. Though she's a very nice person, I think it was an awkward situation for a lot of us.

On the other hand, Saturday was great. All of the activities were fun, and the prospective students were way cooler than I expected. I was holding off on my decision because I was afraid most of the class was going to be nerdy people who lean toward the gunner persona but almost everyone I met seemed great (students, professors, prospective students). I have to say, it made me really like BCM. The best part was the beer house afterwards! Everyone let loose and we had a lot of fun. By the way, the band was awesome (though it took a really long time to set up!).

It seemed that it was successful in almost everyone I talked to seemed to be leaning towards selecting Baylor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the second-look weekend was great overall. The part that I personally least enjoyed was dessert at Dean Flossy's house. Though she's a very nice person, I think it was an awkward situation for a lot of us.

On the other hand, Saturday was great. All of the activities were fun, and the prospective students were way cooler than I expected. I was holding off on my decision because I was afraid most of the class was going to be nerdy people who lean toward the gunner persona but almost everyone I met seemed great (students, professors, prospective students). I have to say, it made me really like BCM. The best part was the beer house afterwards! Everyone let loose and we had a lot of fun. By the way, the band was awesome (though it took a really long time to set up!).

It seemed that it was successful in almost everyone I talked to seemed to be leaning towards selecting Baylor.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed second look!

To be completely honest, coming from a major party/state school, I honestly (again) thought I would likely be one of the few normal/non-nerdy people here. I couldn't have been further from the truth. I don't know if it is BCM or what, but somehow, the classes I know (MS1s and MS2s) have very normal people. Yah you have nerds, and yes you even have the occasional gunner (though these are going to be everywhere), but it seems that BCM does it great job at selecting normal people during the interview process, which really makes me love the place more than i had anticipated before coming here.

regarding the band...glad to hear you liked them. i'm close with them and will pass it on. they were hoping you guys would like it, and to be honest, the second half of their "show" was kind of slapped together, as they hadn't anticipated you guys liking it so much. they went ahead and played songs they haven't practiced often, so i'm really glad you guys enjoyed it.

hopefully we'll see you here for the start of school! :)

off topic but fwiw....my state school (arizona) rejected people with 38s this yr. numbers only get you so far..there are so many other factors.

doubly off topic, but 9/10 odds no minorities with a 38 got rejected at UA this year

That's impressive considering Baylor is among the top schools in terms of matriculant statistics. I'm sorry you're resentful. I understand this is a stressful process; therefore, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're not as arrogant as your statement suggests. Jturk has it right. The interviewers are actually blinded to an applicant's gpa and mcat score, so it takes more than just good scores to be accepted.
I'm not saying I'm angry because I think I'm better than other applicants, I just thought/was told going into this that my gpa/mcat would open some doors for me. Basically I feel like it's "not fair" that I didn't get in--I feel like I got passed over. Wouldn't you be a little upset if you had a 39 and 4.0 for the last 3 years? I basically devoted the last 3 years of my life to academics, and kind of feel like the payoff wasn't commensurate with the workload. Anyway, I don't mean to complain, I know I need to get over it, it's just like you said it's a stressful process. Moral of the story, I should be happy with what I got.

Absolutely, you're right. I was definitely lacking in terms of those other factors. Guess I just needed to vent a little...

Last edited:
I'm not saying I'm angry because I think I'm better than other applicants, I just thought/was told going into this that my gpa/mcat would open some doors for me. Basically I feel like it's "not fair" that I didn't get in--I feel like I got passed over. Wouldn't you be a little upset if you had a 39 and 4.0 for the last 3 years? I basically devoted the last 3 years of my life to academics, and kind of feel like the payoff wasn't commensurate with the workload. Anyway, I don't mean to complain, I know I need to get over it, it's just like you said it's a stressful process. Moral of the story, I should be happy with what I got.

Welcome to the club bro.

Yeahhhhhhh, I wouldn't say YOU'RE in the club, bro. Judging by your MDApps, you didn't too bad

Oh I'm not complaining by any means, but if we're going to pretend that the medical admissions process is based solely on numbers to determine interview invites/acceptances, then I'm gunna be pissed.

Absolutely, you're right. I was definitely lacking in terms of those other factors. Guess I just needed to vent a little...

I hate to drag this out for much longer, but I just have to remind you that your numbers DID open doors for you. You got an interview. That was the open door. After that, a lot of it's about finding the right student for the school. It's a two way street--the interview/acceptance process isn't all about what you want/think you deserve. The same thing will happen when you interview at residency programs.

If you do get off the waitlist and decide to come to Baylor (after you take your foot out of your mouth), I hope that you realize how lucky you really are. You should already feel privileged to be a member of an elite group of people. Like you said, get over it...and yourself. Good luck, you're going to be a doctor for cryin' out loud!

I hate to drag this out for much longer, but I just have to remind you that your numbers DID open doors for you. You got an interview. That was the open door. After that, a lot of it's about finding the right student for the school. It's a two way street--the interview/acceptance process isn't all about what you want/think you deserve. The same thing will happen when you interview at residency programs.

If you do get off the waitlist and decide to come to Baylor (after you take your foot out of your mouth), I hope that you realize how lucky you really are. You should already feel privileged to be a member of an elite group of people. Like you said, get over it...and yourself. Good luck, you're going to be a doctor for cryin' out loud!

well said/written, josh. :thumbup:

Hello. I am new to this but I have been following the forum for a while and thought I might add my comments. I also interviewed at Baylor (OOS) in February and was placed on the waiting list....... I am disappointed and sincerely hope I get a spot at Baylor because I experienced so much positivity and support all around me at the interview from staff, current students and other interviewees. I can't stress how important that is for me as I have been in non-supportive environments before. I was also thoroughly impressed with the institution.

That said, I'm sure I don't have the top undergrad stats of all interviewed but I have ECs and did a grad degree and volunteered a lot before I decided that med school was 100% for me, so I thought with my experience I would have a lot to talk about. But when I was at the interview I noticed that all the other applicants around me were just so intelligent, down-to-earth and well-rounded (stats aside since I don't know them) that I don't know how Baylor or any other school could have made their choices.

Getting into med school is just a really tough process as so many highly qualified people want it, and there are just not enough places.

If you don't get in this year, there is always a next year. And with the year off, make the best out of it, do things you've always dreamed about doing. And when the time is right, you will get in. I know people who had exceptionally high stats who only got in after their 3rd try.
Just don't give up.

I wish you all best of luck!!!!!

Captain SSO,

The marginal benefit of getting accepted into any medical school far outweighs that of going from the medical school(s) that accepted you already to Baylor (or any other medical school). I am also assuming that you got into one. I don't mean to disrespect Canjosh, JTurkel, or Baylor (In fact, had I not gotten waitlisted by Baylor, I would be planning to go to Baylor, instead of deciding among the two I got accepted to. I really loved Baylor.), but getting into A medical school is vastly more important than getting into THE medical school of your best wishes.

You're going to be a doctor. That will make a huge (positive) impact on your life. The fact that you may not go to the medical school on the top of your list will have relatively low impact on your life relative to the fact that you're getting a medical degree.

Welcome to the club bro.

Nick Naylor,
I'm still kind of confused as to how a future U of Chicago medical school student fits into this club...

Naamans, Your comment is SO true. It's too bad that some pre-meds (and I have been guilty of this myself at times) allow their rejection from their favorite school to diminish their gratitude for getting accepted into ANY med school at all. When we're all MDs, probably none of us will care! :) (The few that still do care will probably struggle throughout life to be happy and will never be satisfied with their best--a sobering thought to say the least.)

Back to the original comments, second look weekend was awesome. I was nervous about meeting a bunch of gunners but was pleased to see that everyone was really laid-back and chill. The PPS and IPS sessions were really informative and Dr. Pillow is the man.

The "BCM first year band" (they need an official name btw...) were great although they did take forever to set up. No worries though, I think that made them better in the end, since everyone was a few drinks in by the time they started playing.

Anyways, a lot of the students I met were heavily leaning towards BCM and one had five or six schools to look at after BCM but they decided right afterwards that BCM was the school for them. Hopefully second look weekend can become a mainstay.

Back to the original comments, second look weekend was awesome. I was nervous about meeting a bunch of gunners but was pleased to see that everyone was really laid-back and chill. The PPS and IPS sessions were really informative and Dr. Pillow is the man.

The "BCM first year band" (they need an official name btw...) were great although they did take forever to set up. No worries though, I think that made them better in the end, since everyone was a few drinks in by the time they started playing.

Anyways, a lot of the students I met were heavily leaning towards BCM and one had five or six schools to look at after BCM but they decided right afterwards that BCM was the school for them. Hopefully second look weekend can become a mainstay.

agreed they need a name. they have a couple of nerdy/funny ideas for a name, but they still haven't officially decided on one for sure.

and glad to hear you enjoyed second look! :)

@CaptainSSO

I understand and completely sympathize. I'm actually in a similar position (holding a waitlist at Baylor with stats comparable to yours). It's tough having high stats and seeing people with lower stats get in instead of you. To be frank, there are many aspects of the medical school admissions process that I think are broken; my main gripe is that the subjectivity involved often leaves you vulnerable to the arbitrary standards of individuals. It's kind of like American Idol. You can be a talented singer and have everything going for you, but unless the judges decide that you have "It", you won't get a record deal. The problem is that no one can really say what that X-factor is.

However, you shouldn't see your situation as any commentary on your personal value. The medical school admissions process can hardly do justice to who you are or what you've done; it all comes down to words on a page and a thirty minute interview with someone you've never seen before. Life isn't fair; ask any sick person in a hospital whether they think they deserve to be there. That is why we should always be grateful for what we have and for the opportunities that we are lucky enough to receive.

So don't sweat it. You've gotten into med school, and you're going to be a doctor. Life takes interesting turns, and who knows, maybe you'll get that call this summer. Even if you don't, you have no reason to look back. Enjoy it!

Sorry if this has already been addressed but was curious about how many ppl drop or how many seats open up for those waitlisted...anyone know?

Also got waitlisted when all the notifications went out. Good luck to everyone else still hoping to hear from Baylor!

I won't be as nice as others. I don't feel sorry for you at all. You have a terrible attitude and appear quite arrogant. is it possible that someone may have picked up on this during your interview?

don't flatter yourself at all buddy, i know plenty of people in my class who scored 40's and had excellent GPAs.

Attitude, attitude, attitude!.

you're in for a rude awakening in medical school when you realize the heaviness of your cerebral penis is not quite as much as you thought.

sorry bro/brabri. no sympathy because of your attitude. Not everyone gets to be a boss...... NEXT!

Baculum over and out.

Last edited:
I won't be as nice as others. I don't feel sorry for you at all. You have a terrible attitude and appear quite arrogant. is it possible that someone may have picked up on this during your interview?

don't flatter yourself at all buddy, i know plenty of people in my class who scored 40's and had excellent GPAs.

Attitude, attitude, attitude!.

you're in for a rude awakening in medical school when you realize the heaviness of your cerebral penis is not quite as much as you thought.

sorry bro/brabri. no sympathy because of your attitude. Not everyone gets to be a boss...... NEXT!

Baculum over and out.

:thumbup: If this were facebook, I would have "liked" this comment.

I received my financial aid email this morning--a little better than what I expected. Now, I can withdraw other accpetances without having to worry about being left high and dry. Going into debt is still overwhelming, but I'm psychologically prepared to make the jump now . . . I think.

I received my financial aid email this morning--a little better than what I expected. Now, I can withdraw other accpetances without having to worry about being left high and dry. Going into debt is still overwhelming, but I'm psychologically prepared to make the jump now . . . I think.

Congrats on making your decision!

Just want to remind everybody worried about financial aid--they will find a way to get you more loan money if you need it. At least that's my experience. If you get your package and it doesn't seem like enough money, just let them know!

Last edited:

I don't think anyone should be worry about Baylor's cost of attendance, period. I am dying to get in here, not least because Baylor is at least 20K cheaper a year than my next cheapest school.

So, I placed an order from Berkeley Review about 6 weeks ago. Ive been calling their offices for about 2 weeks. I keep getting the answering:mad: machine and leaving messages, as of yet, no one has called me back? Is this typical? How do I get someone to answer the phone? Id like to add the physics books to my order but I wont do that because I dont want them running off with another money order... My Emails have gone unanswered... Im open to any suggestions out there. Im all the way in PA so it seems Im at their mercy.

So, I placed an order from Berkeley Review about 6 weeks ago. Ive been calling their offices for about 2 weeks. I keep getting the answering:mad: machine and leaving messages, as of yet, no one has called me back? Is this typical? How do I get someone to answer the phone? Id like to add the physics books to my order but I wont do that because I dont want them running off with another money order... My Emails have gone unanswered... Im open to any suggestions out there. Im all the way in PA so it seems Im at their mercy.

:confused:

So I am posting this not to troll, but just to give you other applicants info (because I just made this account now) but I follow these threads...I'm not a troll basically. I just wanted to let the people that were also waitlisted that I just got accepted off the WL on 4/26 at 8pm EST. Just to answer any questions ya'll might have, I am OOS, 3.9GPA and 34MCAT. Hope that gives hope to you other guys, and everything works out for ya'll! And again, I only posted because I would have wanted someone else to have let me know that the list IS moving before that May 15 day. Good luck to everyone!

So I am posting this not to troll, but just to give you other applicants info (because I just made this account now) but I follow these threads...I'm not a troll basically. I just wanted to let the people that were also waitlisted that I just got accepted off the WL on 4/26 at 8pm EST. Just to answer any questions ya'll might have, I am OOS, 3.9GPA and 34MCAT. Hope that gives hope to you other guys, and everything works out for ya'll! And again, I only posted because I would have wanted someone else to have let me know that the list IS moving before that May 15 day. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats!

I just wanted to let the people that were also waitlisted that I just got accepted off the WL on 4/26 at 8pm EST. Just to answer any questions ya'll might have, I am OOS, 3.9GPA and 34MCAT. Hope that gives hope to you other guys, and everything works out for ya'll! And again, I only posted because I would have wanted someone else to have let me know that the list IS moving before that May 15 day. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats.

I am also on the wait list with an OOS, 3.9 (3.94 to be exact), and 34 MCAT. So I don't know whether this information gives me hope or not. I honestly don't know, there are too many ways too look at this.

That's great, congrats. How I long for that 713 area code!

Same! Got the call at 8:00 PM EST, accepted off the waitlist. Interviewed in November. And to further support the idea that this crazy process is NOT purely a numbers game, I got a 32. And I'm not a diversity applicant.

That's awesome! Congrats ya'll! Although I'm not sure if I really wanted to know that movement was happening this early.... =P

Went ahead and withdrew from Baylor today. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting! (and I'm OOS, if it matters)

hi- question for accepted students. when does orientation and classes start for baylor? I remember it being earlier than other places. I have not been accepted, but want to make sure my summer plans don't overlap just in case :)

Status
Not open for further replies.