2010-2011 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who interviewed in early April hear back yet? They said 4-6 weeks...getting kinda anxious heh.

Members don't see this ad.

YAY! Acceptance email this afternoon! :D I think they're just being extremely slow, so keep hanging in there, guys (and gals)!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted off the waitlist on Monday, May 16th. Interviewed in very late January, was waitlisted February 28th, and actually tried to withdraw last Friday. In any case, I withdrew my application immediately (again) after getting the email, and I hope the spot goes to someone who is waiting on their first acceptance. Best of luck to all of you!

Anyone who interviewed in early April hear back yet? They said 4-6 weeks...getting kinda anxious heh.

I am still waiting as well. They are taking a ridiculously long time, considering that we are already well past the May 15th date. I called them a couple days ago and was rudely told that "I will hear back when I will hear back"... click

Sigh.

The admissions office here isn't the friendliest... That really doesn't sit well with me.

The admissions office here isn't the friendliest... That really doesn't sit well with me.

I normally don't post, but I have to agree. The admissions office here was by far the rudest of any I encountered. Even the interview day was a joke. The day was completely unstructured and the dean of admissions doesn't even make an appearance to welcome applicants. I am not sure why anyone would want to attend this school given how they treat their applicants. I know I don't and turned them down to go elsewhere. I am sure it is a fine school for those who attend, but this school really needs a new admissions office.

I had a similar experience with the admin office. They were the least friendly and least helpful of all the places at which I interviewed. That is unfortunate, because the facilties are beautiful and the students we friendly. I too was a little disappointed that the Dean did not make an appearance on our interview day. I loved the school, but would have appreciated a nicer staff.

I just wanted to chime in in defense of the admissions office. I haven't had much contact with them by phone, but did during the interview day, and I have to say they were some of the nicest people that I have met along the interview trail. They were extremely helpful and caring, and I was really impressed.

I was waitlisted via email in mid-April. Interviewed mid-January. Did not receive the "high priority" email. Sent in 2 update/interest letters.
What is the waitlist movement like at this school?

when did you interview?

Hi all- I had a late interview, in early May, which I thought went very well. It seems it takes quite a while to hear back from this school, are things sped up a little for those of us that got our foot in the door late?

just withdrew after getting into another school. good luck to everyone who is waiting! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I had my interview in November and got waitlisted in January. I sent a letter of intent about 2 months ago and then a quick follow up email of intent last week. I got an email back from the Dean of Admissions thanking me and saying she appreciates my keeping in touch with them. I did not get the 'high priority' email though, does that mean I have no chance of getting in??

From Einstein's website:

Approximately 400 applicants will be placed on the wait-list from January through the summer months. Beginning in May, the wait-list is re-evaluated and halved. By July, about 50 applicants remain active on the wait-list and by the day of Orientation, approximately 20 remain active. The wait-list is not ranked.

So by my estimation, about 150-200 are on right now...

But do they actually tell half the people who are not on it anymore?

For anyone trying to figure out whether the wait list is moving:

Interviewed: 4/11
Waitlisted: 5/26
Accepted: 6/2

I sent one thank you/update/interest letter after my interview, another one two weeks later (after meeting with a faculty member I'd eventually like to work with), and one more immediately after getting waitlisted. Maybe the last one did the trick?

Feel free to contact me with any questions. Good luck!

EDIT: so sorry, forgot to add that I did NOT receive any "highly favorable" email.

Last edited:
Do they not accept people from TX at all? I cant seem to see a single one. Is there a bias for certain states? Also, do you have to have higher scores and stuff if you are OOS?

Hello all,

This is my first time posting on SDN. I usually just read. However, I stumbled across a thread over on the current medical student forums that somewhat bothers me: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=485309

I'm wondering if a current medical student at Einstein could tell me if this has ever occurred there in their experience. How widespread it is for students to be required to strip down in front of their classmates and be "examined" by them? I know this is really random, but I'm planning to go to Einstein, and I wanted to know if this would be something to (not) look forward to... I also want to clarify that I understand the merits of practicing on classmates in private/if you choose to, but I'm asking about doing it very publicly and despite being very uncomfortable with it.

Thank you! Sorry for my neuroticism!

Last edited:
Do they not accept people from TX at all? I cant seem to see a single one. Is there a bias for certain states? Also, do you have to have higher scores and stuff if you are OOS?

Einstein is a private school, so no, you do not need higher scores if you are OOS. Are you looking for someone who went to a Texas school, or is a Texas resident? I don't think you can look up state residencies anywhere, but Einstein's class of 2014 drew from 23 states.

Of course there will be a northeast bias because people want to go to school where they are from (where their support system is). However, you have to be careful not to assume that there is a bias against people from Texas. It's not that Einstein (and other northeast schools) is selecting against them, it's that there probably are very few applicants from Texas to begin with. If anything, a TX residency can only help, as Einstein (and any other NYC private) would want the geographic diversity a TX resident would add. :)

has anyone been placed in a high-priority category and not received an acceptance?

has anyone been placed in a high-priority category and not received an acceptance?

Yeah I have. Received the email about 3 weeks ago and have not heard anything since. I sent a letter of intent the next day.

Yeah I have. Received the email about 3 weeks ago and have not heard anything since. I sent a letter of intent the next day.

Same here.

Then again, maybe Einstein is just running behind on wait list acceptances like they've been running behind on pretty much everything else through the application season :p

Waitlist is still moving! Don't give up yet!

Interview: 02/02/2011
Waitlist: 03/26/2011
High Priority Waitlist: 06/01/2011
Accepted: 06/13/2011

I will be an incoming first-year student in August, and have been living in NYC for several years. I was planning to live in East Harlem and commute up, but am now reconsidering. However, I'd still like to live in off-campus housing...Does anybody have insight into the off-campus housing options NEAR einstein?

Hey all, Can someone please send me the link to the Facebook group for accepted students? Thanks!

Hey just got in. So there is still some movement. Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Interviewed: February
Waitlisted: April
High Priority: May 15th
Acceptance: July 15th

Hey just got in. So there is still some movement. Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Interviewed: February
Waitlisted: April
High Priority: May 15th
Acceptance: July 15th

Congrats and welcome to the class of 2015! It's gonna be awesome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.