2010-2011 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone for who received their financial package already: What did the tuition and total budget come out to? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone for who received their financial package already: What did the tuition and total budget come out to? Thank you.

so these numbers are off the top of my head but I think I am pretty close:

68k was the total estimated cost of attendance, 20k of which were for personal budget(room, board, blah blah blah) and 48k for tuition and something else

Last edited:
so these numbers are off my head but I think I am pretty close:

68k was the total estimated cost of attendance, 20k of which were for personal budget(room, board, blah blah blah) and 48k for tuition and something else

Woah I thought tuition was 42k.
Crap, I have to go back and look.

EDIT:

Estimated budget for 2009-2010 for a single first-year student:
Tuition
Health Insurance
General Instructional Cost First and Second Year Medical Students
Housing
Books, Supplies and Instruments
Meals
Personal Expenses
Computer
TOTAL
$39,186​
$3,602*
$2,440
$9,000
$1,920
$4,000
$4,502
$2,000
$66,650

This was last year. Tuition alone (including fees) was about 42.7 k minus health insurance if you have parents that will put you on theirs. Plus housing is more than doubly inflated if you're living on their campus right?

This year, tuition alone + lab fees = almost 45k so tuition has gone up by 2k or so.
Housing would add 4500 for a single person sharing a 3 BR right? So housing plus schooling costs about 50k.
Then add the food (6000) and personal expenses (4500, alcohol, kidding, sorta) and it comes to 61k ish. If you need a computer, that's 62k total. Am I kinda close?

EDIT 2: You need furniture, so maybe add another 1k.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think tuition was 42k and then i think 6k for something else but I am not sure what. (it can be health insurance but that doesn't sound right to me)

Woah I thought tuition was 42k.
Crap, I have to go back and look.

EDIT:

Estimated budget for 2009-2010 for a single first-year student:
Tuition
Health Insurance
General Instructional Cost First and Second Year Medical Students
Housing
Books, Supplies and Instruments
Meals
Personal Expenses
Computer
TOTAL
$39,186​
$3,602*
$2,440
$9,000
$1,920
$4,000
$4,502
$2,000
$66,650

This was last year. Tuition alone (including fees) was about 42.7 k minus health insurance if you have parents that will put you on theirs. Plus housing is more than doubly inflated if you're living on their campus right?

This year, tuition alone + lab fees = almost 45k so tuition has gone up by 2k or so.
Housing would add 4500 for a single person sharing a 3 BR right? So housing plus schooling costs about 50k.
Then add the food (6000) and personal expenses (4500, alcohol, kidding, sorta) and it comes to 61k ish. If you need a computer, that's 62k total. Am I kinda close?

EDIT 2: You need furniture, so maybe add another 1k.

do not forget about books

thanks guys. So I got my financial package via phone with the fin. office. so i just needed some clarification. When I did the math, the total came out to 68,350. Does that sound right? And it seemed like tuition without health insurance is 44,074 and health insurance is 3,851 (thats a big jump from the previous tuition if im right). Can someone confirm that?...So personal expenses is $20,425...

thanks guys. So I got my financial package via phone with the fin. office. so i just needed some clarification. When I did the math, the total came out to 68,350. Does that sound right? And it seemed like tuition without health insurance is 44,074 and health insurance is 3,851 (thats a big jump from the previous tuition if im right). Can someone confirm that?...So personal expenses is $20,425...

those numbers sound very familiar to what I remember from the package I got. I definitely remember 68k total and 20k estimated personal. I can confirm when I get home but you are most likely right

This is what I got in the mail

Einstein Charges:
Tuition - 41585
Health Insurance - 3851
Fees - 2564
Direct Cost - 48000

Living Expenses:
Room/Apartment - 7700
Board - 6000
Personal - 4700
Books and Supplies 1950
Indirect Cost - 20350

Cost of Attendance - 68350

Also, have most people gotten their Service and Research Grant package yet? I'm still waiting on mine :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Just got placed on the alternate list for the scholarship ...any idea what this means? Is there still a good chance to receive a scholarship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here...alternate list...don't know what the chances are from there.

yea same here. I think it most likely means that if one of the people that got the award doesn't end up going, then they will give it to someone else. (hence the meeting in a couple of weeks after the may 15th deadline). At least, that is what I am assuming

Hey guys!

Two questions:
1- Does anyone know specifics about budgeting for books. Won't a lot be pdfs can we get them from upperclassmen?

2- I'm def attending in August and I live in the city. Anyone interested in getting together in the city for a pre-orientation happy hour/get together whoever's in the metro area. Maybe some time in June when everyone's made their final decisions.

Hey guys!

Two questions:
1- Does anyone know specifics about budgeting for books. Won't a lot be pdfs can we get them from upperclassmen?

2- I'm def attending in August and I live in the city. Anyone interested in getting together in the city for a pre-orientation happy hour/get together whoever's in the metro area. Maybe some time in June when everyone's made their final decisions.

1. Can't answer this.
2. Yeah, I'll be in the metro area July + August

I know several people have been wondering how long they had to wait for a final decision. In my case, I interviewed March 29th and got my rejection letter on April 30th. Would've been nice to be so close to home, but I believe everything happens for a reason. I guess I was meant to go to Boston :)

Does anyone know if we receive additional information about housing?

I'm down...Ill be in NYC the weekend of June 10th

any med students able to host an interviewee on May 10th?? I'll treat you to dinner! :)

Hey guys!

Two questions:

Answering 1, you will get a whole zip drive from most of the upper classes with review notes, study tips, ect. The school provides all the pdfs. Do you absolutely even need books first year? No, the lec. notes are good enough - except for an atlas for anatomy which you really will need- you can get it used from the book sale that is held every year can run like 10 bucks.

I got by first year with a histo book (u actually don't need it tho b/c lec notes are good and 2. the images are all online) , atlas, didn't buy biochem (still did very well - again lec. notes good enough), got a used brs physio book which i LOVE for both the quick info and questions. I liked HY embryo too - made it real simple, easy, and good organization.

You could easily get by with 50-100 dollars for books if you go to the used book sale in the begining of the year that the upper classmen will put on and you know exactly which books you want. I think the budget gives you at least 1000 tho?

I'd say golden are a netters atlas, BRS physio, and HY embryo - i personally love a patho review question book too but for most of first year you won't be able to use it.

When you go through biochem and other stuff, i just rented the books from the library reserves to do the practice questions, the notes that the school gives you were good enough for everything else.

Hey guys!

Two questions:

I live in the city now and am almost definitely attending. Would be down for getting together in the future.

As for budgeting for books, my friend is a first year now so I don't have to worry about books--he's giving me all his.

http://www.einstein.yu.edu/admissions/page.aspx?id=722

After sending an initial round of acceptances on January 15th, acceptances are offered on a rolling admission basis.
Approximately 400 applicants will be placed on the wait-list from January through the summer months. Beginning in May, the wait-list is re-evaluated and halved. By July, about 50 applicants remain active on the wait-list and by the day of Orientation, approximately 20 remain active. The wait-list is not ranked.
Applicants who have decided that Einstein is their first choice school are encouraged to communicate their intentions with us in writing and, in August, by telephone.
Applicants should be certain that the Office of Admissions can communicate with them after they have left school or are traveling during the summer months. All address changes, telephone number changes and email changes should be reported in case of a late acceptance. Applicants should have a family member or friend designated to receive communications and make decisions in case the applicant is unreachable

So are they going to accept students that don't send letters of intent?

I received essentially the same email, except that I'm not on the wait list. Good luck to all!!!

Withdrew my acceptance this morning... as much as I love the school, I finally got some California love, although Einstein was a close 2nd place. Hope my spot goes to one of you guys! :luck:

Dont go to einstein. worst years of my life

This is sad example of trolling... Not mention you chose Anesthesia to make a fake name under and Einstein matches well in anesthesia so I can hardly believe there is a disgruntled senior yet alone a disgruntled anesthesia senior that would waste their free time prior to starting residency to come to this board just to bad mouth the school. 3 going to sinia, 2 going to columbia, 1 going to cornell, 1 to yale, 1 to UPenn, 1 to Uwash, and 1 to UMDNJ.

for all those still waiting to hear post-interview, I interviewed Feb 28th and found at that my application will be looked at May 25th if that helps. Why it is taking so long I really have no idea

for all those still waiting to hear post-interview, I interviewed Feb 28th and found at that my application will be looked at May 25th if that helps. Why it is taking so long I really have no idea

I interviewed March 8th and got waitlisted after about 10 weeks. Maybe they are waiting for spots to open up...

This is sad example of trolling... Not mention you chose Anesthesia to make a fake name under and Einstein matches well in anesthesia so I can hardly believe there is a disgruntled senior yet alone a disgruntled anesthesia senior that would waste their free time prior to starting residency to come to this board just to bad mouth the school. 3 going to sinia, 2 going to columbia, 1 going to cornell, 1 to yale, 1 to UPenn, 1 to Uwash, and 1 to UMDNJ.

Seriously. Not to mention, if this poster were such a humanitarian that they went to the trouble of making an account to post one comment in order to protect the poor incoming first years, you'd think they would do everyone the favor of posting a couple of sentences about WHY they were "the worst years of [their] life". Were you recently rejected, anesthesia?

Did anyone else get a "high priority" alternate list email? How excited should I get about this news?

+1, it's the high priority waitlist. i've read a few of the older posts, and there seems to be a significant chance for an acceptance.

Rejected via snail mail. :(

On the bright side, I'm now sure of where I'll be for the next four years. :)

Good luck to all of you still waiting!

If we didn't get the priority list email does that mean we probably have no chance?

Did anyone else get a "high priority" alternate list email? How excited should I get about this news?

I'm curious about the same thing. Someone above quoted the website which states that the waitlist is cut down from 400 to 200 in May. So are the remaining 200 all "high priority", or is high priority a subgroup within that 200? Sure wish someone (who is not me :D) would call and ask.

Just wanted to let you guys know that you don't need the high priority email to be accepted off the waitlist.

Was accepted off the waitlist via email today-- didn't receive any prior email after my interview except the one asking if i wanted to be on the alt list.

Int:Oct
WL:Jan
A: 5/16

wow, congrats! that sounds rare from the older posts i've read through.

Accepted off the wait list yesterday (5/16) via email. I interviewed in mid-February and neither sent nor received communication since then besides affirming that I wanted to stay on the waitlist in late March. Good luck everyone. They only gave me one week to decide--this is gonna be a tough week.

accepted off the wait list this afternoon (5/19) via email. i interviewed in early feb and did not send any extra LOIs. i am nearly certain i will be attending.

Congrats! You were also just placed in the high priority waitlist, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.