2009-2010 University of Arkansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im applying this year, and the districts are still in effect. Sucks but owell

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the responses. It's pretty far away for me to actually live there since I go to UCA. Guess I'll have to think about it.

I mean, I went to school in North Carolina and am from Kansas City. I never changed my address the whole time. I'm not sure I see your point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so ready for the letters to be mailed! My stomach is in knots. While i know there is nothing i can do at this point i am still nervious! :oops: Hopefully they will send the letters sooner rather than later and it will say accepted! Anyways, Good luck everyone!!!

I'm so ready for the letters to be mailed! My stomach is in knots. While i know there is nothing i can do at this point i am still nervious! :oops: Hopefully they will send the letters sooner rather than later and it will say accepted! Anyways, Good luck everyone!!!

Same here. I've been neurotically checking to see if anyone's gotten their letter yet.

Ha, I just realized our fate is sealed. Literally :scared:
Good luck everybody!

I mean, I went to school in North Carolina and am from Kansas City. I never changed my address the whole time. I'm not sure I see your point.

Haha let me try and clear this congressional district business up for you all. So, Arkansas is divided into four congresional districts. UAMS is required to take a minimum of 30 people from each district (at least this was the case a few years ago). This is obviously extremely flawed since two districts have an absurdly larger population and thus a lot more applicants compared to the other two more rural districts. It seems that UAMS should instead to take a percentage rather than an equal and fixed number. I am not sure if a certain amount of spots are alloted to the OOS applicants or if those spots are up for grabs between IS and OOS applicants. With the way the system is now, I considered renting a place in a rural district and claiming residence there simply because the current system is incredibly skewed since stellar applicants can be denied positions compared to applicants who clearly do not meet the requirements. Oh well, just do your best and make yourself stand out from the rest and you will be fine. Good luck to all of those waiting to hear back!

This is obviously extremely flawed since two districts have an absurdly larger population and thus a lot more applicants compared to the other two more rural districts.

I am out-of-state so I don't have a dog in the fight, but all congressional districts have the same population so it seems like a fair way to recruit more students from the rural, underserved areas.

So, Arkansas is divided into four congresional districts. UAMS is required to take a minimum of 30 people from each district (at least this was the case a few years ago). This is obviously extremely flawed since two districts have an absurdly larger population and thus a lot more applicants compared to the other two more rural districts. It seems that UAMS should instead to take a percentage rather than an equal and fixed number. I am not sure if a certain amount of spots are alloted to the OOS applicants or if those spots are up for grabs between IS and OOS applicants. With the way the system is now, I considered renting a place in a rural district and claiming residence there simply because the current system is incredibly skewed since stellar applicants can be denied positions compared to applicants who clearly do not meet the requirements.
Indeed. What I was saying is that your registered address doesn't necessarily have to be where you're actually living. Maybe his parents moved to southern Arkansas while he was at school at UCA, and since he's still dependent on them, that would be his new address. Feel me?

The idea behind the congressional district thing is to get people to go back to their home towns to practice. Unfortunately, they've dramatically overestimated Arkansans' drive to stay in the same small town all their lives. I don't know many people at all who are from small towns and planning on practicing there. In other words, the congressional district plan does exactly what SelfTaughtDoc said: excludes a lot of qualified applicants in favor of...not-so-qualified ones. If you can take advantage of that system, by all means, go for it.

By the way, everyone, make sure you fill out an interview feedback survey here: http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/ Current UAMS students, follow the ssame link to review our school. Help the young 'uns out! In case you missed the big announcement thingy, we're donating $5 to Haiti for every school review and $1 for each interview feedback completed, so get crackin'!

please someone post on here that they received their packet today!??? Mine is already going to be a day behind because it is being sent to Fay. I really would like to see it tomorrow!!

please someone post on here that they received their packet today!??? Mine is already going to be a day behind because it is being sent to Fay. I really would like to see it tomorrow!!

Has it been confirmed that they've been sent out? The e-mail said this week. Not necessarily the 15th. The website said the 20th.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they said "this week," they probably mean late this week. UAMS has a habit of overshooting deadlines a bit so they don't miss them. For instance, I was told repeatedly that they started accepting people from the waitlist on May 15, but my letter was dated the 13th.

No I was just hoping!!!! I have no confirmation of them being sent out and I would say they didnt send them out today. Well maybe tomorrow....

If they said "this week," they probably mean late this week. UAMS has a habit of overshooting deadlines a bit so they don't miss them. For instance, I was told repeatedly that they started accepting people from the waitlist on May 15, but my letter was dated the 13th.

Interesting, so they'll probably send them out tomorrow or Friday(to make the 20th deadline)? Bleh, I'm tired of making assumptions and predictions.

I'd just take them at their word and assume that you'll hear something by the middle of next week, at the latest. Act like nothing is coming until next Wednesday, and you'll be a lot happier in the mean time. :p

Accepted! Arrived in the mail today (I'm in Arkansas). I interviewed out of state but got my residency changed to in-state right before the admissions committee met. Hope some of you hear back soon!

One of the guys at my school just got his. I'm still waiting though. :(

got my acceptance letter in the mail just a few minutes ago! i heard from someone that the last batch of acceptance letters are being sent out on friday, so i wish you all good luck!!!!

Do they mail rejection letters at the same time as acceptance letters? I am nervous because nothing came for me today (live in NWA).

Supposedly they do, although I haven't heard of any rejections yet.

Do they mail rejection letters at the same time as acceptance letters? I am nervous because nothing came for me today (live in NWA).

I'm in NWA too. Maybe yours is getting sent out with the last batch.

Did they come regular mail? I had it sent to my house in another town so I've been driving people nuts to go check.

Ya I live in NWA too and mine came today. My friend lives here too but he didnt get anything in the mail today. So I dk how they do it but must be in waves.

Ya I live in NWA too and mine came today. My friend lives here too but he didnt get anything in the mail today. So I dk how they do it but must be in waves.

That must be rough on your friend! Hopefully we'll both get good news tomorrow :)

Does anybody have a rejection or waitlist letter yet?

I just got my acceptance letter in the mail! Class of 2014 here i come!! :)

I have a feeling the acceptances went out yesterday or Tuesday (being received today) and the WL/rejects go out tomorrow... Purely conjecture of course.

I have a feeling the acceptances went out yesterday or Tuesday (being received today) and the WL/rejects go out tomorrow... Purely conjecture of course.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

I have a friend who received a rejection today. I think people who were rejected aren't in a hurry to get on here and tell the world. Also, I live across the street from UAMS, and I did not get a letter/ packet today at all!!!

I have a friend who received a rejection today. I think people who were rejected aren't in a hurry to get on here and tell the world. Also, I live across the street from UAMS, and I did not get a letter/ packet today at all!!!

So maybe the waves are totally random...At least that is what I will tell myself so I can stay sane!

Hmm... wonder if the differences are alphabetical?

Ahhhh mine is in Fayetteville, but I'm in Texas right now! I guess I won't know until I go back on Sunday. I hate the suspense! :xf:

Yeah. I got the waitlist letter today *tear. Does anyone know what percentage of people they accept from the wait list usually? And also the letter said that they put people higher on the list if they sign up to be in the four year rural medicine program. Does anyone know what are the chances of getting accepted if you sign up for the program?

Little Rock here I come!
I found out during lab so I had to wait three hours to be excited.

UAMS seems very focused on people staying in and around Arkansas. A good portion of my interview was about how even though I love to travel, I always want to come back to the south.

Based on that and what a few friends were asked, I bet doing the rural program would be a really good choice if you don't mind the commitment.

I wouldn't get too worried today. There's a chance it got stuck in the mail system.

I don't think they're doing alphabetical. One of the guys here has a last name that starts with T, and another B and they both got in. We're all from different areas and they interviewed late while I interviewed early.

Milkman, would you happen to know anything about the apartments on campus? I'm interested in applying but not sure if I have a chance as a first year or if I would even want to apply.

I lived there last year. They're nice, and the convenience really can't be beat. That said, you do pay for the convenience, and they're not exactly the largest spaces around. The cost of living here is so cheap that finding a nearby house is probably your best bet unless you want to be right on top of your classes. To put it more concretely, I paid $575/month last year plus about $23/month for and HD box and the accompanying service. Let's just call it $600/month. That got me a 300-ish sq ft. room with an insufferably small kitchen (a HUGE problem for me since I cook constantly), and I had to tack on $30/month for parking. I'm now in a ~2000 sq ft house 2 miles down Markham that has a giant kitchen, huge rooms, a dishwasher (I will never live without one again), and a nice yard for a bit less than $550/month.

If you're not comfortable living with someone you've never met, the dorms are a nice option since you can move out at any time, should you so choose. They're also great if you're a class-goer and/or library rat. Basically, you just have to weigh convenience vs. cost. If an extra $100/month for a smaller space seems like a good trade for an immediate trip over to the library or gross lab, by all means, go for it. If you'd like to see the apartments/dorms before making a call, I could probably arrange that.

edit: Oh, and there are plenty of rooms available. People are always coming and going.

One more thing! You'll meet a lot of your classmates in the dorms and will become very close with them. My roommates this year lived with me, as did the rest of my more intimate friends. It's nice to be able to just drop by someone's room and hang out when you want.

I like the idea of the apartments for convenience reasons, but I know the neighborhood well and I think I'm going to opt for a house close by with some friends....I just hope I can find a house close by and reasonable!

Well, I was looking at the apartments since my boyfriend will be transferring up there to live with me. We were also looking at the Links at Sherwood (which are about 600 plus utilities for 2 BR 2 Bath) which we thought was pretty good. But, if you aren't living with roomies, then it looks like we should look around a bit more.

I'm heading up there next weekend just to see what's around since I'm not familiar with the area and because I'm a terrible early planner. Is anything near UAMS relatively okay or are there areas to avoid?

Also, how are utilities? I've heard they're crazy high comparatively.

Edit: Whoops, didn't read that last bit about roomies well. How many people do you live with?

I live with 2 guys from my class. Rent is $1200/month, and utilities are about $350-400, including our rather gaudy HD and internet package at $140/month.

Everything around UAMS is just fine even though some people will tell you otherwise. It boils down to the fact that lots of people here aren't used to living in a city and the issues that come with it. For instance, if you leave your wallet on the seat of your car, you're going to get your window smashed and your wallet stolen, regardless of what neighborhood you're in. That doesn't mean the area is bad; it means you don't have any street smarts at all. The only area I'd avoid is anything south of I-630. Things do, indeed, get a little dicey over there.

The nearby apartments are nice, but I'd shoot for a home in Hillcrest. It's right next to school, and there are tons of 1 and 2 bedroom places coming open all the time. It'll be a bit more expensive - probably in the $700-800 range, but in my opinion, it would be worth the cash to not have to deal with all the fun living in an apartment brings. Neighborhood-wise, Hillcrest, Heights, and Briarwood are all nice, close, and cheap.

I'll be totally free next weekend (Friday tests are AMAZING), so if you want to grab lunch and take a bit of a tour, drop me a line.

Currently my bf lives in Blytheville because of a job transfer, so the area can't be too much worse than that entire city.

We're still not sure what day and time we're going to make it up, but if we find out soon enough, I'd love to get a quick tour if you wouldn't mind the bf tagging along.

Didn't get in for the second year in a row. Good luck everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.