2009-2010 University of Arkansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, that's not bad at all. I hope the M1 schedule looks similar to that. And I wish I'd had all afternoon exams when I was an undergraduate, lol.

I just finished my supplemental application and "strong ties" letter and dropped everything off at the post office (yay!). I'm definitely glad to have it completely out of my hands, but now comes the hardest part.... waiting until December to see if I get an interview.

I know why I'm applying to UAMS as an OOS applicant (my husband is in the Air Force and we're moving to Little Rock on military orders next spring), but I'm very interested to hear why other OOS applicants are looking at UAMS.

Anyone want to share?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be applying this time, in state. I'm applying at 4 other places too, but I really only want to go to UAMS because of the rural medicine program. I want to stay in Arkansas and do primary care (I seem to be the only one) and the program would be a good fit for me. Application is already submitted and waiting on a secondary.

You're not the only one. I'm leaning towards primary care, too. Good luck! :)

Nice, that's not bad at all. I hope the M1 schedule looks similar to that. And I wish I'd had all afternoon exams when I was an undergraduate, lol.
I posted my M1 fall schedule in last year's UAMS thread (in the 2008-2009 forum). I'm not sure where it is, exactly, but you could find it with a bit of spelunking.

I posted my M1 fall schedule in last year's UAMS thread (in the 2008-2009 forum). I'm not sure where it is, exactly, but you could find it with a bit of spelunking.

I found where you posted the M1 spring schedule. Thanks!

My interview is October 10th. Good luck to all the other applicants!

Can someone PM me the secondary prompt, if there is one, so I can update it on the first post and link it to the secondary application thread?

Hey guys, I really want to ask a few specific questions about UAMS. (You can move this if it's not in the right spot)

Right now, I am scheduled to graduate in May from UCA with my bachelors in nursing; however, I reaaaallly think I should have went pre-med. Anyway, the past is past and I'm not changing now since I'm only 5 classes away from a degree.

If I wanted to apply to UAMS, I would have to take Chem I/II, Bio I/II, Organic I/II, Physics I/II and the optional classes (cell bio, genetics, etc.). As of now, my GPA is a 3.2.

What can I do to get on the right track to UAMS? I think I can get prereqs done after graduation in about 2 years.

I think I have an advantage because I'm in state, but I want to have almost no doubt in my mind when I apply I've actually got a shot.

For OOS they're not rolling right? it says on the secondary the faculty will sit down in December and consider all OOS applicants and see which ones they want to invite for an interview.

Hey MilkmanAL,

Do you mind telling us OOS applicants when you received an interview invitation from UAMS? I am OOS and I believe I have strong ties. UAMS deposited my check way back in July but I haven't heard anything from them since.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my invite during the first week of December and interviewed about 10 days later. That was by choice, mind you. The "official" OOS interview day is in early January, but I opted for the earlier slot since they had space available.

I just went back to an email we got about leading interview tours. Here are this year's dates:
Interview Days are scheduled for the following Saturday mornings: October 10, October 31, November 21 and January 9.

In other words, if you don't get an invite by early November, you're probably going to wait another month or so.

hey milkman
i am an in state student and i was just wondering how many students they interview during the two october interview dates at UAMS

Well, they interview about 500 people (usually 300-350 IS and 120-150 OOS), so there are probably 100-120 per date. I'm not absolutely certain, though.

This is my opinion of why I was not impressed by UAMS during my interview. UAMS has a typo in the oath, do not require the students to dress professional ( I saw a student during the interview walking around with an abercrombie and fitch T-shirt saying, " I mowed your mom's lawn"!!!), and a student told me a story about someone getting stabbed at taco bell across the street. The two interviewers also spent more time talking to each other than to me!!!! I hope they liked each other. They were very distracted by each other and I felt like they were not interested in being there. I hope that UAMS doesn't count on the fact that they are the only medical school in the state as the reason for filling the class with top ranked Arkansas residents. They should realize that the students are also interviewing THEM and that they too should be on their best behavior. I have already been accepted to another school and have no plans of attending UAMS based on what I saw. I hope that the school reads this and is aware that if 1 person writes a comment like this that 10 other people want to but did not!!! I hope the best for the UAMS and that this was a rare occurrence for the school but it did turn me off.

This is my opinion of why I was not impressed by UAMS during my interview. UAMS has a typo in the oath, do not require the students to dress professional ( I saw a student during the interview walking around with an abercrombie and fitch T-shirt saying, " I mowed your mom's lawn"!!!), and a student told me a story about someone getting stabbed at taco bell across the street. The two interviewers also spent more time talking to each other than to me!!!! I hope they liked each other. They were very distracted by each other and I felt like they were not interested in being there. I hope that UAMS doesn't count on the fact that they are the only medical school in the state as the reason for filling the class with top ranked Arkansas residents. They should realize that the students are also interviewing THEM and that they too should be on their best behavior. I have already been accepted to another school and have no plans of attending UAMS based on what I saw. I hope that the school reads this and is aware that if 1 person writes a comment like this that 10 other people want to but did not!!! I hope the best for the UAMS and that this was a rare occurrence for the school but it did turn me off.

Wow. My interview is on October 10th, and UAMS is my first choice at the moment, especially since I'm in state. I hope my interview day goes somewhat better than that... What questions are typically asked at the UAMS interviews?

I hope that the school reads this and is aware that if 1 person writes a comment like this that 10 other people want to but did not!!! I hope the best for the UAMS and that this was a rare occurrence for the school but it did turn me off.

Although there might be 10 people with bad experiences who did not comment on a message board, typically people with good experiences are even less likely to post on a message board. So who knows, maybe there are 30 people who thought that the day was great.

The students assisting with the day are supposed to dress professionally. However, there are always a few people who think wearing shoes meets the requirement compared to their normal flip flops.

As far as typos go, I hope you are not basing your med school decision on a secretaries ability to proofread.

Sorry to hear about the actual interview. Just because the interviewers are doctors does not mean they will have the best people skills.

I'm not trying to convince you to go to UAMS. Just don't want other people to be soured by someone elses bad experience.

Hopefully I can address some of these concerns.

UAMS has a typo in the oath
Meh. It's annoying, but is that really a big deal? I'm a grammar Nazi and came across tons of typos in official communications when applying to med school. I'll have to let the school know about the oath thing, though. If you could point it out, that would be much appreciated.

do not require the students to dress professional ( I saw a student during the interview walking around with an abercrombie and fitch T-shirt saying, " I mowed your mom's lawn"!!!)
Students leading interview tours are, in fact, required to dress "professionally" (shirt, tie, slacks for guys, dresses for girls, white coats for all), so whomever it was with the A&F shirt probably just tagged along for the tour to lend some more insight. Wouldn't you consider it a good thing that some random student was enthusiastic enough about the school to spend his Saturday morning filling you in? If you're just talking about some guy you saw walking around, not someone involved with the tour, I suggest you lighten up. Do you really want to be required to dress semi-formally whenever you want to go to campus? Believe me, you will have your share of professionalism rammed down your throat regardless of where you go.
a student told me a story about someone getting stabbed at taco bell across the street.
People make the area out to be much worse than it actually is. I don't doubt that incident occurred, but welcome to living in an urban area. You're not going to find a neighborhood where nobody has been the victim of a violent crime. Also, that event hasn't happened within the last year. I lived in the dorms, across the street from that Taco Bell, until late July, and I haven't heard anything in the news about it since then. The area around school is a simple middle-class neighborhood. That's it.
The two interviewers also spent more time talking to each other than to me!!!! I hope they liked each other.
That's a product of the relaxed atmosphere they try to create for the interview. If your representation is accurate, it doesn't sound like they were particularly effective interviewers, but they did want to be there. All interviewers are volunteers.

I hope that UAMS doesn't count on the fact that they are the only medical school in the state as the reason for filling the class with top ranked Arkansas residents.
Quite frankly, I think they're more interested in getting people who like the school and have a decent chance of staying in the area to practice than getting Arkansas's top students. The facilities here are all brand new (except the M1 classrooms), and your classmates are likely to be very cool people, on the whole. If a relaxed atmosphere and new hospitals aren't your thing, there are plenty of schools full of hypercompetitive students that would love to take you, I'm sure.

They should realize that the students are also interviewing THEM and that they too should be on their best behavior.
See my previous comments about the relaxed atmosphere.

By the way, how could you have already been accepted to another school? "Normal" acceptances won't be issued for 2 weeks, and I was under the impression that you couldn't apply anywhere as long as you had an outstanding EDP application. Also, aren't EDP's binding? That is, if you got accepted via EDP, wouldn't you be unable to apply - let alone interview - anywhere else?

Last edited:
Does anybody have any insight as to out of state interviews? Specifically do the out of staters admitted usually have super high stats? I live in a neighboring state and also have very strong ties to Arkansas (lived there for a few years).

My class's stats were something like 3.6/33 for OOS students, I think. It's not ridiculously high, but it's definitely quite a lot more selective than the school's average stats make it seem. Having ties will make your life a lot easier.

OOS interviews take place on Jan. 9 this year and possibly on Nov. 21 if they have overflow and room.

Hopefully I can address some of these concerns.

Meh. It's annoying, but is that really a big deal? I'm a grammar Nazi and came across tons of typos in official communications when applying to med school. I'll have to let the school know about the oath thing, though. If you could point it out, that would be much appreciated.

Students leading interview tours are, in fact, required to dress "professionally" (shirt, tie, slacks for guys, dresses for girls, white coats for all), so whomever it was with the A&F shirt probably just tagged along for the tour to lend some more insight. Wouldn't you consider it a good thing that some random student was enthusiastic enough about the school to spend his Saturday morning filling you in? If you're just talking about some guy you saw walking around, not someone involved with the tour, I suggest you lighten up. Do you really want to be required to dress semi-formally whenever you want to go to campus? Believe me, you will have your share of professionalism rammed down your throat regardless of where you go.
People make the area out to be much worse than it actually is. I don't doubt that incident occurred, but welcome to living in an urban area. You're not going to find a neighborhood where nobody has been the victim of a violent crime. Also, that event hasn't happened within the last year. I lived in the dorms, across the street from that Taco Bell, until late July, and I haven't heard anything in the news about it since then. The area around school is a simple middle-class neighborhood. That's it.
That's a product of the relaxed atmosphere they try to create for the interview. If your representation is accurate, it doesn't sound like they were particularly effective interviewers, but they did want to be there. All interviewers are volunteers.

Quite frankly, I think they're more interested in getting people who like the school and have a decent chance of staying in the area to practice than getting Arkansas's top students. The facilities here are all brand new (except the M1 classrooms), and your classmates are likely to be very cool people, on the whole. If a relaxed atmosphere and new hospitals aren't your thing, there are plenty of schools full of hypercompetitive students that would love to take you, I'm sure.

See my previous comments about the relaxed atmosphere.

By the way, how could you have already been accepted to another school? "Normal" acceptances won't be issued for 2 weeks, and I was under the impression that you couldn't apply anywhere as long as you had an outstanding EDP application. Also, aren't EDP's binding? That is, if you got accepted via EDP, wouldn't you be unable to apply - let alone interview - anywhere else?

Thank you for this comment. Do not get me wrong, I love Arkansas but I did feel let down. Yes, there are a great deal of positive factors on the side of UAMS!!! The facilities are awesome and the faculty are nice. I was just a little put off by my interview and I wanted to provide some detail why and possibly give an interviewer's perspective to the faculty in an anonymous fashion. Like I said previously, I hope the best for UAMS and that this was a rare occurrence for the school but it did turn me off. I also wish the best for my fellow Arkansas residents. I do not in anyway want my opinion to discourage those who apply, interview or attend UAMS. I just wanted to voice my concerns.

To answer your question, I was accepted in a rolling admissions Doctor of Osteopathy medical program.

Again I am glad that you have provided another perspective for those who are interested in UAMS. Go Hogs Go!!!!!!!

does any one know how many in state students UAMS takes during december and january

Last edited:
I was out in Little Rock a few weeks ago while the hubs was in a training school at the base. Everyone I met had really great things to say about UAMS when it came up in conversation. We drove by the campus while we were tooling around the downtown area looking at neighborhoods. I wish we'd been able to go in and take a tour of the facility. I am SO excited/anxious/nervous to find out if I will get to interview by January.

Did anyone go to the interviews on October 10th? How did they go?

does any one know how many in state students UAMS takes during december and january
Do you mean how many interviews they give out? They probably interview about 30-40-ish the first time around and then maybe 90 at the all-OOS session. I'm not entirely sure. They'll accept probably 30-35 OOS applicants, but the waitlist here moves a ton.

Does anyone know if they will make an acception and accept the Jan2010 MCAT? I have a 21M MCAT and a 3.3 gpa. Do I have a shot? Or should I just go ahead and withdraw my application and hope to get into my own state school.

The OOS interview date is January 10th or something, so you won't have the test taken by then. Consequently, I doubt they'll accept a January MCAT, but call or email the admissions office anyway. The people there are awesome and will help you out.

As for whether you have a shot, well, I wouldn't count on getting an interview, especially if you're OOS. There's no reason to withdraw your application if you've already submitted and paid for the secondary, but I think your chances for acceptance anywhere are bleak. A 21 is probably going to get you nixed at DO schools, too. Nail the January MCAT, and hope that the schools you've applied to will consider your score.

Hello all,
I am a current M1 at UAMS, so I thought I would chime in. I haven't posted in awhile so it is good to be back. UAMS is a GREAT school. The professors are very accessible and do a good job of not only responding to individual students, but also to the entire class. We also do a lot as a class to get to know each other. Every couple weeks the class gets together for some kind of outing. For example, Monday after our embryology we all went to Playtime Pizza for laser tag, go carts, mini golf, and pizza-paid for by UAMS. So the campus is a very close knit group. We also provide more clinical learning than a lot of schools do in the first 2 years. Our class as 174 students. I believe its 48% female, 52% male. The average GPA for our class was 28 or 29 I can't remember, but I know it is significantly higher than last years class, no offense Al. We just finished with cell biology and biochemistry and have just began Anatomy, Microanatomy, and Physiology with out first exam from those subjects being next monday. So far everything is going pretty well and I am pretty satisfied with everything. I will be conducting interview tours on Oct. 31, and January 9th which I believe is the OOS interview date so I am sure I will see some of you. As for my stats, mine were a little lower than average. My GPA was a 3.62 and my MCAT was a 25. I am also from Texas, but was able to demonstrate such close ties that they deemed me in state saving me about $8,0000/year. For those of you whose numbers aren't great don't think you are out of the hunt because I got in. The interview really is important. The interview is blind meaning they do not know anything about you until you arrive, so you are able to make a first impression make it count. There will be 3 interviewers. Usually it is 2 professors and one 4th year student. Don't underestimate the leverage of that medical student. Make sure and ask questions during times of silence it lets them know you are interested. Read up about UAMS, Little Rock, and student life. As for the questions, they didn't really ask me anything difficult. They asked the standard questions: tell me about yourself, why do you want to be a doctor, if you don't get in what are you going to do, what have you done lately that was compassionate. Also, remember your interviewers names and send them thank you notes. It goes a long way. Also, this is regarding the comment about the safety of Little Rock. Little Rock has gotten a bad reputation over the years and I just do not see it. I live 1 mile east of campus and I have never had any problems. I love Little Rock. It's big enough to where there is always something to do, but small enough to feel like home. There is great restaurants, nightlife, parks, outdoor recreation etc. Sorry for the long post. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me. MilkmanAl is also a great resource he helped me out alot last year. I also attached this years Fall M1 schedule.

Attachments

• M1 Fall 2009 Schedule.pdf
    181 KB · Views: 207
An average GPA of 28 would indeed be a lot higher than our average. :p I think our stats were something like 3.5/28 with an OOS average of 3.6/33. The rest of that is absolutely spot on and great advice.

I would love to go here! No invite yet...from Alaska with a 3.98/30. Do I have a prayer assuming my EC's/LORs are strong?

Yes, absolutely. I'd get in touch with Ms. DuPuy to ask some sort of innocent question and drop hints that you'd like to attend. I get the impression that UAMS values applicants they think will attend if accepted. My invite came in early December, so it's not like you're getting left out.

I'm with you UAAWolf, my heart is set on UAMS. Waiting for an invitation to interview is KILLING me! Just keep your fingers crossed and maybe we'll see each other on interview day in January.

Good luck to all the out of staters waiting for interview invites. I will be one of the tour guides for the out of state interview date in January so I hope to meet all of you. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

I know that early acceptance letters go out Dec. 17. Does anyone know exactly how many of these go out and what they are looking for? Of the four students I knew applying last year, one received an early acceptance. She had a good MCAT - 29, and a good resume, but so did two of the other students. Just curious and somewhat hopeful :)

For my class, I don't think they sent out many at all - maybe 10-ish. Your class is going to be a lot bigger, so they might up that to 15-20 or something.

I actually have a question about early acceptances. If I were to receive one how long would I have to either accept or reject? I have several other interviews scheduled in mid-Deceber and January so I will not hear back from them for quite some time. Therefore, if I only have a short amount of time to reply to a UAMS acceptance I would have to either accept before finding out from other schools or not accept and risk not being accepted at the other schools. Does anyone have information about this dilemma?

For my class, I don't think they sent out many at all - maybe 10-ish. Your class is going to be a lot bigger, so they might up that to 15-20 or something.

i apologize if you've already addressed this earlier in the thread, but what is the projected class size?

It's been awhile since last post....Just had my interview Nov 21st and it was very nice and laid back. I enjoyed it a lot and the facilities are second to none. THe standardized patients are unreal! Anyway good luck to any OOS

I am an OOS applicant (Texas resident) to UAMS, but I have very strong ties to the state. I interviewed and was waitlisted last year. I received the interview invite on December 16th-ish last year. However, I do not think my interview went extremely well because I was unable to find a lot of common ground with my interviewers.

If you know anything about U of A in Fayetteville, UAMS is very similar--superbly funded--and the facilities are AMAZING. When I was there last year, I was extremely impressed with the campus. I think they were building a new buidling specifically for Back & Spine. I worked at a Spine Clinic at the time--so I thought that was pretty cool.

Anyways, best of luck to everyone! I was born in Little Rock & I am very fond of that city! I may have been raised a Texas Longhorn girl, but I was born a Razorback! :)

Last edited:
What is the difference between your "s" GPA and your "c" GPA? I've never heard of that before.

I would like to hear more about the facility. I've heard that they opened a brand new wing earlier this year. Anything you can share, Al?

I actually have a question about early acceptances. If I were to receive one how long would I have to either accept or reject?
I'm not exactly an authority on this one since I got my acceptance and sent it back as quickly as humanly possible, but If I recall, you have 10 days to either accept or decline your place in the class. I believe "accepting" your spot does not obligate you to attend the school and simply means you're not withdrawing. I could be wrong, though. That's definitely something to make an anonymous call to the admissions department about, should the situation arise.
i apologize if you've already addressed this earlier in the thread, but what is the projected class size?
Unless things have changed, the projected size is 200. My class started at 160, and this year's class was supposed to be 180 but actually turned out to be 174 or something. As you can see, the expansion is substantial.

What is the difference between your "s" GPA and your "c" GPA?
cGPA is your total GPA, while sGPA is your science class GPA.

I would like to hear more about the facility. I've heard that they opened a brand new wing earlier this year. Anything you can share, Al?
Well, to be honest, I'm not very familiar with the hospitals. I'm mostly locked in a classroom all day. However, they did just open a new wing of the hospital, and it is super nice. I don't know anything about the back and spine-only building, but the Stephens Spine Center is brand new and is apparently one of the best neurological and neurosurgical facilities in the country.

The only thing that sucks about the accomodations is that you'll be shoved in a basement classroom for the first year. You'll have a lot of exposure to the Clinical Skills Center, though, so it's not all bad. 2nd year, you'll be in the new classrooms (finished around this time last year). 3rd year is mostly spent in the VA (new within the last few years), the "old" hospital (which was renovated within the last 5 years) and at Arkansas Children's (also an amazing facility). You'll have to get into sub-i's and stuff before the more specialized facilities come into play. All the buildings are brand new, so even if UAMS isn't a leader in whatever field you're interested in at the moment, you can rest assured that you'll at least have access to all the new technology.

During my interview last Saturday, the Associate Dean said the size of the class will be around 174 with 20-24 of those spots given to OOS applicants. He said keep in mind some of those spots are already taken due to people deferring from last year.

In case any of you got to catch the Arkansas v. LSU game, good effort by the Razorbacks! Just wanted to throw that out there... Seems like every year they come up with some good upsets--wish they would have beat LSU.

Unfortunately I did see the game.....made me sick. So close but O well still making a bowl game.

Yes he is bad....But I am huge Arkansas fan and I am just glad we have a new recruit coming in next year to replace him. He had his chances....

Status
Not open for further replies.