2009-2010 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O I was under the impression they rereview after New Years?

is that for holds? the last time i called i checked if i was complete and i was under review!! thats why i wanna call again.. :D

Members don't see this ad.

is that for holds? the last time i called i checked if i was complete and i was under review!! thats why i wanna call again.. :D

ohh, sorry I thought you meant after hold. Yea if you haven't been put on a hold yet, I would call for sure. Good luck!

Complete 10/8
Invite 12/9
Interviewing late December

Members don't see this ad :)
i am pretty positive a good number of people who are put on hold get interview invites. you gotta remember they interview through april, so you gotta think most of those people interviewing then were originally put on hold. i had a few friends last year who were in this boat, and eventually were offered acceptances.

Absolutely correct. Last year they continued interviewing after they originally planned just to get through all the people that they wanted to interview. They take their time, and so the process is slow and torturous, but its only because they are actually reading the applications and considering the applicants as a whole. Anyway, I don't envy any of you who are waiting, but hang in there. :) For those of you already accepted, congrats!

Interviewed Yesterday (12/14)....They told that they would review my completed application sometime in early-mid Jan, and I should hear something by mid-late Jan (they told me dates, but I forgot.... oops/sorry)

So.... I REALLY, really liked the school!! But, I am going to be honest though.... For an Alabama boy, living in a big (cold) city like chicago is a little intimidating, but I think that the school would clearly be worth it!

If (and it is a big IF), I get in, do any of you Chicagonians have any advice for a poor southern boy?!? :)

Absolutely correct. Last year they continued interviewing after they originally planned just to get through all the people that they wanted to interview. They take their time, and so the process is slow and torturous, but its only because they are actually reading the applications and considering the applicants as a whole. Anyway, I don't envy any of you who are waiting, but hang in there. :) For those of you already accepted, congrats!
thats good to know thanks! I always hear such great things about this school I really wanted to come check it out. do you know when the begin to do pre-interview rejections by chance? Id assume not till late jan when they begin to rereview apps?

Interviewed Yesterday (12/14)....They told that they would review my completed application sometime in early-mid Jan, and I should hear something by mid-late Jan (they told me dates, but I forgot.... oops/sorry)

So.... I REALLY, really liked the school!! But, I am going to be honest though.... For an Alabama boy, living in a big (cold) city like chicago is a little intimidating, but I think that the school would clearly be worth it!

If (and it is a big IF), I get in, do any of you Chicagonians have any advice for a poor southern boy?!? :)

I think the great thing about Loyola is that it's not in Chicago, rather it's about 10 miles west of Chicago. Maywood isn't great, but there are some very nice suburbs around it that are basically like small towns. So, if you're not a big city person then you aren't surrounded by the big city each and every second. But you can always make the short trip into the city if you get the urge.

Being from Alabama you probably aren't used to cold winters. But from my experience, there are very few cities more beautiful than Chicago in the fall and winter. The best thing about Chicago is that there are a ton of things you get to do that you can't do in a lot of other places. There's always something going on.

In my very biased opinion, Chicago is the best major city in the country.

ugh i got waitlisted :(

after one of my interviewers basically implied that i had gotten in and spent our whole interview talking about why i should choose loyola.. and made loyola climb up to be one of my top choices.

anyone know what my chances are for being accepted? should i send an update letter/letter of interest?

just curious, what is the use in calling for updates after you find out that you are complete? has it ever happened that somebody called and they told him or her that he or she has been invited to an interview before ever receiving an email? i'm not trying to be sarcastic but i am just wondering if it would do any good calling.

buy a parka, grow a full beard, and practice walking backwards (for when the soul-piercing wind is blowing in your face) and you might survive winter.

just kidding (except for the parka and beard and the backwards walking). it's cold, but it's totally worth it to live here. you'll get used to it. i had some friends in undergrad from mississippi and most of them are alive.

just curious, what is the use in calling for updates after you find out that you are complete? has it ever happened that somebody called and they told him or her that he or she has been invited to an interview before ever receiving an email? i'm not trying to be sarcastic but i am just wondering if it would do any good calling.
I've been calling basically every week, only missing a few Thursdays. I think they're starting to recognize me - they told me not to call back until Jan 1 if I still haven't heard anything. Still under primary review - not on hold yet.

I was complete mid September...do I still have a good chance to get an interview?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been calling basically every week, only missing a few Thursdays. I think they're starting to recognize me - they told me not to call back until Jan 1 if I still haven't heard anything. Still under primary review - not on hold yet.

I was complete mid September...do I still have a good chance to get an interview?

Haha I guess you believe that any publicity is good publicity, ey? I've called a few times and they just tell me that I haven't been reviewed or no decision has been made and that I'll hear from them if invited.

Hi all,

Just wondering if there have been any pre-interview rejections yet, or if there haven't been, when they are expected to start happening.

Thanks.

Hi guys I was wondering if any Canadians are applying to Loyola??
Im going to be applying next cycle and just curious if this school is friendly towards internationals (i.e. not a big disadv being canadian)

Thanks guys,

and GOOD LUCK! :)

Anyone know how Loyola feels about update letters? Like whether or not they accept them pre-interview and in what format?

Interview invite today (by phone and email). Submitted secondary mid/late September. Complete late October. Interview for mid Jan.

Soo happy!

Interview invite today (by phone and email). Submitted secondary mid/late September. Complete late October. Interview for mid Jan.

Soo happy!
Congrats! You give me hope, too, seeing as I follow a very similar time-line! IS or OOS?

Anyone know how Loyola feels about update letters? Like whether or not they accept them pre-interview and in what format?
they accept pre interview, send in an email

Soo happy!

Thanks for giving the rest of us hope that there's still a chance for us who submitted in sept. If you don't mind me asking, could you please share your general stats? thanks. I submitted sept 18 and still haven't heard anything back so was a little concerned before i saw this posted.

Someone on here that got a RFU acceptance last year submitted at the deadline. Don't sweat it.

does anyone know if there is an email address for loyola to which we can send updates?

So I have not decided on Loyola... was accepted but it was in the middle of nowhere in an isolated bubble of a med school and hospital surrounded by highways.... Also, super $$$

Still, did any of you notice that super good looking people go there? Man. ;)

Happy New Year to all of you! I wish all SDNers best of luck and to get into med.school :laugh::xf:

Hi guys I was wondering if any Canadians are applying to Loyola??
Im going to be applying next cycle and just curious if this school is friendly towards internationals (i.e. not a big disadv being canadian)

Thanks guys,

and GOOD LUCK! :)

I know there are at least two canadians in the 2013 class.

does anyone know if there is an email address for loyola to which we can send updates?

I'm wondering the exact same thing! If anyone has sent an update, please fill us in on how you sent it (email / snail) and what address!!

I think the great thing about Loyola is that it's not in Chicago, rather it's about 10 miles west of Chicago. Maywood isn't great, but there are some very nice suburbs around it that are basically like small towns. So, if you're not a big city person then you aren't surrounded by the big city each and every second. But you can always make the short trip into the city if you get the urge.

10 miles west of Chicago is pretty much still Chicago and not all that different from other west side Chicago neighborhoods. Maywood is definitely slummier and less safe than most of the near north side Chicago neighborhoods. You get all the vices of living in Chicago, only with less benefits. Being in Maywood, you also get the full blunt of the I-290 congestion (between Harlem and Austin) when driving into the city, so I wouldn't recommend living in the city and commuting to Loyola either unless you have 2 hours to kill everyday.

Maywood isn't really the kind of suburb that people have in mind when they hear the word suburb. It's not Plano or Naperville.

Maywood versus the state of Illinois versus US:
Demographic

Maywood versus Chicago versus US:
Demographic

Last edited:
Thanks... appreciate it! Just sent the update letter myself... now the wait :xf:

10 miles west of Chicago is pretty much still Chicago and not all that different from other west side Chicago neighborhoods, and less safe than most of the near north side Chicago neighborhoods. In fact I would say that you get all the vices of living in Chicago, only with less benefits. Being in Maywood, you get the full blunt of the I-290 congestion (between Harlem and Austin) when driving into the city, so I wouldn't recommend living in the city and commuting to Loyola either unless you have 2 hours to kill everyday.

Maywood isn't really the kind of suburb that people have in mind when they hear the word suburb. It's not Plano or Naperville.

Maywood versus the state of Illinois versus US:
Demographic

Maywood versus Chicago versus US:
Demographic
Yeah, but there ARE nicer neighborhoods around Maywood that many live in. Take Oak Park or La Grange for example. Sure that may take 30 mins of travel, but that's less than my current job and I'd be making the trip twice a day. Also, I agree with Omar to the extent that it's nice to have the city right there without the claustrophobia. And yes, traffic is HORRENDOUS on 290, but is definitely fine if you live in a nice neighboring town to Maywood and mostly go into the city on weekends for a night on the town.

All in all, I saw Maywood as a plus because of its proximity to the city and the neighboring towns that can be actually pretty upscale.

Who did you address your update letters to? Also did you send them in the body of the email or as some sort of attachment?

Who did you address your update letters to? Also did you send them in the body of the email or as some sort of attachment?
Dear Loyola Stritch School of Medicine Admissions,

blahblahblahawesomenessblahblahblah

Sincerely,
red10
AAMC#: 12345678

Save as PDF and attach in an email. The only way to fly ;)

damnet i just straight up sent it typed in the email, they probably threw mine out after they saw Bbender's lol

damnet i just straight up sent it typed in the email, they probably threw mine out after they saw Bbender's lol
Don't sweat it! I only figured out the PDF thing after I sent two of my 6 update letters and it got me an interview at one of the first schools I sent one too, lol So no worries.

Is it true this place is right in the middle of the ghetto? Not trying to piss anyone off...I've never even been to Chicago and come from a smaller, safe town. Anybody intimidated travelling here?

the school is in a suburb about 20 mins from downtown, but the hospital rotations for the second half of med school are in the city

Is it true this place is right in the middle of the ghetto? Not trying to piss anyone off...I've never even been to Chicago and come from a smaller, safe town. Anybody intimidated travelling here?

Absolutely not. Maywood is definitely not the safest Chicago 'burb, but the school campus and surrounding area are safe. The campus has restaurants and at least one bank in close proximity. However, like any urban area, there are some rougher parts. Most of the students I met during my visit lived in Westchester and other close communities that are very safe and reasonably-priced. Hope this helps!

While Maywood isn't the greatest suburb, Loyola is well shielded from any potential dangers. Also, Maywood is not that large, so the students live in very nice, safe suburbs like forest park and oak park, which are only a 5-10 minute drive.

While Maywood isn't the greatest suburb, Loyola is well shielded from any potential dangers. Also, Maywood is not that large, so the students live in very nice, safe suburbs like forest park and oak park, which are only a 5-10 minute drive.

That's comforting to know...I realize all cities have their rough parts and you just have to know where to go :D

My application was completed 11/10, if I was still a candidate should I have received a interview request?

I'm pretty confused about Loyola's process. I've been complete since mid September and I'm still under review - I just called on Thursday and was told to call back in February if I still haven't heard anything. Have they not looked at my file yet? I would at least expect to be on hold or something...

I'm pretty confused about Loyola's process. I've been complete since mid September and I'm still under review - I just called on Thursday and was told to call back in February if I still haven't heard anything. Have they not looked at my file yet? I would at least expect to be on hold or something...

The impression I got is that they've looked at your file and you were probably on hold until after the first of the year like me (and a few other people on here too). Now that it's after the first, you're back under review but you may not hear anything for a while

That's what I originally thought, too. However, I have a friend who was explicitly placed on "hold" when she called in. I dunno..maybe I'm caught up in semantics.

That's what I originally thought, too. However, I have a friend who was explicitly placed on "hold" when she called in. I dunno..maybe I'm caught up in semantics.

Either way, under review seems to imply they more actively looking at you than someone who is on "hold" so I think you're ok. Maybe it's semantics though

I was complete early October, I called for an update in early December and they said I was under review, and that I should call back for an update after New Year's. Called back Thursday, and they said I was still under review. Not sure what to think of that, but it's definitely better than a rejection.

Yeah, but there ARE nicer neighborhoods around Maywood that many live in. Take Oak Park or La Grange for example. Sure that may take 30 mins of travel, but that's less than my current job and I'd be making the trip twice a day. Also, I agree with Omar to the extent that it's nice to have the city right there without the claustrophobia. And yes, traffic is HORRENDOUS on 290, but is definitely fine if you live in a nice neighboring town to Maywood and mostly go into the city on weekends for a night on the town.

All in all, I saw Maywood as a plus because of its proximity to the city and the neighboring towns that can be actually pretty upscale.

Exactly! :)

There are tons of great places to live near the school. Lots of people travel less than 20 minutes to school every day and live in very nice neighborhoods with much lower crime rates than the rest of chicago. The school is on an outward peninsula on of maywood surrounded by other towns with lower crime stats. Most people don't take any highways to get to school. If you want to look up where people actually live, then look up Oak Park, Forest Park, Riverside, Westchester, LaGrange, and Oak Brook. There are several students who live in Maywood, are very involved in the community, and wouldn't have it any other way. Basically if people want to live right in a major city, then there are a couple of great med schools right in the city. If people don't want to live right in a major city, but still want to be able to reach it via 25 minutes of public transportation (the trains) so you don't have to worry about how much traffic there is on the highway, then there is a great school west of the city. Its all preference. I like it out here because I have dogs, and near loyola I can rent a regular house with a fenced yard and garage in a safe neighborhood with no worry about parking for less than half the price of a studio apartment with none of that in the city.

Exactly! :)

There are tons of great places to live near the school. Lots of people travel less than 20 minutes to school every day and live in very nice neighborhoods with much lower crime rates than the rest of chicago. The school is on an outward peninsula on of maywood surrounded by other towns with lower crime stats. Most people don't take any highways to get to school. If you want to look up where people actually live, then look up Oak Park, Forest Park, Riverside, Westchester, LaGrange, and Oak Brook. There are several students who live in Maywood, are very involved in the community, and wouldn't have it any other way. Basically if people want to live right in a major city, then there are a couple of great med schools right in the city. If people don't want to live right in a major city, but still want to be able to reach it via 25 minutes of public transportation (the trains) so you don't have to worry about how much traffic there is on the highway, then there is a great school west of the city. Its all preference. I like it out here because I have dogs, and near loyola I can rent a regular house with a fenced yard and garage in a safe neighborhood with no worry about parking for less than half the price of a studio apartment with none of that in the city.
Thanks for the backup mixupmike! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.