2008-2009 Florida International University (FIU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the shirt would be a bit tight but the pants should still be ok. Don't think I've gotten any taller over the past few years.

i just grew horizontaly, i am pretty sure i am gonna be easy to recognize :D

Members don't see this ad.

What an exhausting but informative day. Is it me or was that ER extremely dull this afternoon? Where was all the blood and guts and bile all over the floor and the screaming. The attending actually had time to give us a tour and everything. I'd like to see how different it looks in the ED on a Friday night.

fo real! there was no one at the ER that day! but harbie was pretty cool!

Members don't see this ad :)
How many students attended Second Look? And are all of them committed to going to FIU?

There was a total of 14 of us; not all 14 were committed, though. However, after touring the Gordon Center (prob my fav part) and Jackson North (tied for my fav part, lol), I think that those who were on the fence got a push in the right direction.

There was a total of 14 of us; not all 14 were committed, though. However, after touring the Gordon Center (prob my fav part) and Jackson North (tied for my fav part, lol), I think that those who were on the fence got a push in the right direction.

I agree. I can't wait to play with the new CT scan machine. Colonoscopy without a scope ... that sounds too fun to be true.

I like my new classmates. You guys aren't as scary as I thought you'd be. :thumbup:

I agree. I can't wait to play with the new CT scan machine. Colonoscopy without a scope ... that sounds too fun to be true.

I like my new classmates. You guys aren't as scary as I thought you'd be. :thumbup:

dude, y did u think we were gonna be scary?!

and the welcome we got at jackson north was pretty cool!

dude, y did u think we were gonna be scary?!

and the welcome we got at jackson north was pretty cool!

"Hey! are you a mariachi?!" hahaha

Man... you don't look mexican... you weren't even wearing a sombrero!

"Hey! are you a mariachi?!" hahaha

Man... you don't look mexican... you weren't even wearing a sombrero!

I swear if I didn't hear him speak spanish I would have asked if he was Hawaiian. Especially with that hat he got from Jackson North.

I didn't get a chance to go to the Second Look- could someone who went fill me in on what happened? Did they give us any new interesting info about the programs? Or about the waitlist :)? Thanks!

I swear if I didn't hear him speak spanish I would have asked if he was Hawaiian. Especially with that hat he got from Jackson North.

they see a brown guy with a straw hat and the first thing that came to their minds was that i was a mariachi! :laugh: i guess the guy hasnt been around miami that much. I am gonna take that hat everywhere now. Every pic of me for the med school is gonna be with that hat on.

I didn't get a chance to go to the Second Look- could someone who went fill me in on what happened? Did they give us any new interesting info about the programs? Or about the waitlist :)? Thanks!

We meet all the faculty (mainly the deans). We got more detailed info on the curriculum. Some finaid info. We got to hear about the research opportunities of the school. The clinical curriculum and early exposure to medicine. We got to see the Gordon center and Jackson North. We also got a more complete tour of FIU.

Regarding the waitlist, a friend of mine went to the waitlist second look. He told me they told them that they expect a lot of movement in the waitlist. They said that since there are some ppl who is resigning they r still offering acceptances to replace the ones that drop.

I think that if u r still holding an acceptance and u know for sure u r not comming to the school. Just relinquish the spot to other ppl who really wants to go to FIU.

Members don't see this ad :)
they see a brown guy with a straw hat and the first thing that came to their minds was that i was a mariachi! :laugh: i guess the guy hasnt been around miami that much. I am gonna take that hat everywhere now. Every pic of me for the med school is gonna be with that hat on.

I'll be like "Hey remember when we were in the OR doing that surgery and your hat fell in the patient? He got septic and died the next day" lol.

I'll be like "Hey remember when we were in the OR doing that surgery and your hat fell in the patient? He got septic and died the next day" lol.

I am gonna make sure to get a cap that covers the whole hat!

Deleted.

Last edited:
Ok, can anyone help me out with WTF just happened? FIU is the only school I am under consideration at that participates in the AAMC Certiphi Criminal Background Check. I received an email this morning saying I had a conditional *acceptance* to one or more schools that participated. I called up to FIU to confirm/investigate and they said, "Hmm, we don't know. You're still on the waitlist, don't expect any movement for a couple of weeks, ttyl".

WTF!?! It's infuriating enough to have to jump through all of their hoops, why would I get an email when it's not even true. Did FIU screw up or am I under a false impression with the CBC?

Same thing happened to me. I got the CBC email also. I called FIU but got someone's voicemail.

How disheartening.

Well at least it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

I would totally understand if the email was for accepted and waitlisted applicants but the first f****** line of the email was "You have been conditionally accepted". 10$ says it's their office clicking the wrong box when they sent those CBCs out.

Stop playing with my nerves, FIU.

Last edited:
This happened to a friend of mine. He interviewed at two schools that use the system and got the CBC email. But neither school had any info as to whether he was accepted for a few days. I don't know why but it took like 3-4 days after the CBC email came for one of the two schools to contact him and let him know he was accepted.

Deleted.

Last edited:
Did any Final Pool students get the CBC?
Or did all the Waitlisted students get it?

Best wishes to all who got the CBC email. Keep hope that when "someone who should know" didn't, it was just a reflection of FIU's consistently disorganized admit process!

To err is human, but oh so damn painful to fragile and overstressed applicant hopes. Alas, if the CBC wasn't a premonition, you enjoy good company & a long line of tradition of accidental "acceptances:"

1979-SUNY Stonybrook, 1,000 undergrads
2003-Cornell, 550 undergrads
2006-Georgia State, 100 undergrads
2007-U. Missouri, Columbia 223 grad student applicants
2008-Northwestern, Kellogg 50 MBA applicants

YESTERDAY
2009-UCSD, 29,000 undergrads
TODAY?
2009-FIU in what will be the defining moment of a disorganized application process doesn't realize that Certiphi alerts students when the CBC is run, & checks all 150 waitlistees to help further weed out the list :smack:

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Best wishes to all who got the CBC email. Keep hope that when "someone who should know" didn't, it was just a reflection of FIU's consistently disorganized admit process!

TODAY?
2009-FIU in what will be the defining moment of a disorganized application process doesn't realize that Certiphi alerts students when the CBC is run, & checks all 150 waitlistees to help further weed out the list :smack:

Good Luck!

If you read the email carefully, it said they were running checks on waitlist candidates too:
"You have received this email because you have been conditionally accepted by one
or more of the medical schools participating in the AAMC-facilitated pilot
program for performing criminal background checks on conditionally accepted
applicants and waiting list applicants." Meaning, your status did not neccessarily have to change in order to get the email.

I think we need to cut FIU some slack. It must be an incredibly difficult task to sort though thousands of applicants and come up with such a small number of select few individuals to offer places to. This is a learning process for them. Much the same way that we are unsure who will be offered spots, they are unsure how many back-up candidates they will need and are doing their best to make sure FIU has excellent students to be eligible for full LCME accreditation when the time comes. I know it is hard, but we need to be patient and let them do their jobs.

... and just to clarify, there are 108 candidates on the waitlist not 150, per the Admssions Director.

Last edited:
Apparently a majority of those on the admit waitlist received the CBC email, according to someone at FIU. I didn't really get a clear answer at to why so many people got it though. So make of that what you will.

Deleted.

Last edited:
Deleted.

Last edited:
Check this out, from the AAMC:

"Upon your initial, conditional acceptance by a participating medical school, or upon request by a participating medical school that adds you to its alternate list, Certiphi Screening, Inc. will send an e-mail to the preferred e-mail address you entered in your AMCAS application."

AAMC themselves is framing this as a either you have a conditional acceptance, or the school requested it for their alternate list.

Trust me, I know how frustrating this is...

I am sure that our names are on some master wait list and as both emails indicate, they can CBC their waitlist candidates. The condition of acceptance may not be the clean screen, but rather the opening of a seat...

Last edited:
Deleted.

Last edited:
I understand that some of you are frustrated about the process, but give them a break. I'm sure you guys weren't experts the first time you did something in your lives. It's a brand new school, and even though much of the faculty comes from other schools they are still working on getting it right. I'm not expecting anything about the school to be perfect, from admissions down to curriculum, but I am positive they will only improve over time. Oh and remember that SDN is a free website that they have access to so don't go overboard with the criticism. I doubt it'd be hard for them to figure out who some of you are :rolleyes:.

Dear Liver TxMD,
We regret to inform you that you must return to the admissions office of FIU. It appears you forgot your sense of humor. This will be necessary when dealing with the stress of medical education and practice.
Sincerely,
...:sleep:
Now, really...I'm not an active applicant. I was the first one who found out how long the waitlist was on this thread, & it was 150 when I withdrew my application. I was trying to bring a little lightheartedness to all of the stressed-out recipients reading the thread (and some of the PM's I got in response showed it was appreciated). The precise # wasn't the point :thumbdown:

... and just to clarify, there are 108 candidates on the waitlist not 150, per the Admssions Director.

Yeah, I agree with you that the "condition" is probably the opening of a seat. However, if that it the case then FIU is the ONLY school out of 126 that considers a waitlist position an "acceptance".

"

Objectively, FIU did say that we were all accepted (at the second visit) - but we were accepted after their current 43 students. The top of the agenda also said "Accepted Applicant - Waitlist." So I believe that we are conditionally accepted in the view of FIU. Which I also understand is NOT the method other schools use and could be viewed as misleading.

I am not arguing with anyone. My point was to state that we should all remain calm and collected because the CBC email was really just another stepping stone to the top of the waitlist. It is a positive sign that they are interested in us enough to do the CBC :), but we now know that is all that it is: a check up, not an opening... yet.

Pietachok, don't misconstrue my calmness for a lack of ability to deal with the stress of medical practice/study. I have been in the medical field for a VERY long time and have excellent working relationships with both patients and physicians. I fully understand what we are about to embark on. I simply don't think that we should over-react to the CBC email and we should let FIU do their job (even with a few growing pains).

Last edited:
Pietachok, don't misconstrue my calmness for a lack of ability to deal with the stress of medical practice/study. I have been in the medical field for a VERY long time and have excellent working relationships with both patients and physicians. I fully understand what we are about to embark on. I simply don't think that we should over-react to the CBC email and we should let FIU do their job (even with a few growing pains).

:smack:You seem to miss my point. You are still taking a post seriously that was just meant to add humor amid the stress--you bothered to correct me in bold about the waitlist length when it wasn't relevant to my post...I found it excessive.

Now, if you want to make something useful of that info, spin it into something optimistic: if the waitlist was 150 people on 3/3/09 and is now 108 people, look how fast it's reducing! Many people on here thought it was ridiculously long for the class size, but it got 28% shorter in less than a month...so with 1.5 months to go before May 15th, you can stay optimistic that another 63 people will either withdraw from it and/or get accepted from it (either way your chances are improving if you're one who really wants to get in).

Good Luck:luck:

Throughout this process I have went from slightly frustrated in FIU to feeling sorry for them. Their lack of organization, communication skill, medical school facilities, history or accreditation, rotations at Jackson is just unfortunate.

FIU was on my waitlist this entire time but after getting accepted to UM and Penn St, Im gona have to reject them.

I've been readin what you all are saying and I too got this email - I called and they said that all wait list people had been accepted by the committee and that the "conditional" was based on if and when they had a seat available - soooo cheer up we r still in the running --the list is now down to 101 - :thumbup::D and...FIKO the sooner you withdraw from the FIU the sooner the list will go down!!!

:eek:
I've been readin what you all are saying and I too got this email - I called and they said that all wait list people had been accepted by the committee and that the "conditional" was based on if and when they had a seat available - soooo cheer up we r still in the running --the list is now down to 101 - :thumbup::D and...FIKO the sooner you withdraw from the FIU the sooner the list will go down!!!

since schools are allowed to run the CBC on waitlisted applicants and Certiphi has specific letters for waitlisted applicants vs. accepted applicants, I wonder why FIU didn't run the CBC the standard way without playing this "conditionally accpeted" = "waitlist" word game. I can handle a new school making mistakes and requiring a learning curve...if they are polite about it. I think this little let-down requires an apology rather than a pep-talk about how everybody is "conditionally accepted" provided enough spots open up. As someone else already pointed out, we could say that at a lot of schools, at least once we get a 2ndary or interview vetting the base quality of our stats.

OK - i heard from a very reliable source that the list is moving rapidly and that there are now 88 on the list...the next week should be interesting ...also lots of scholarship $ to go around ---good news!!!:D:D now if everyone who is holding a seat and not planning to attend would just get off their f****** rear and withdraw then there would more seats avaialble for the rest of us!:xf:

FIU class of 2013 baby !!!!!!! After six months of patiently waiting, i FINALLY heard some good news. Mrs. Monfort called me this afternoon. Good luck to all of the rest of you...

now if everyone who is holding a seat and not planning to attend would just get off their f****** rear and withdraw then there would more seats avaialble for the rest of us!:xf:

If I hadn't already withdrawn months ago, that would just make me want to hold my seat until the last minute. What makes you think that people aren't holding onto their seat b/c they are waiting for another decision or b/c they are having a hard time choosing? It's not like this is an irrelevant life decision.

FIU class of 2013 baby !!!!!!! After six months of patiently waiting, i FINALLY heard some good news. Mrs. Monfort called me this afternoon. Good luck to all of the rest of you...

congrats!!!

Congrats and Welcome! :)
See you August 3rd!

Hi Everyone,

I reluctantly withdrew from FIU this week. Good luck to everyone attending (and hoping to attend)! I'm sure it'll be a fantastic experience.

Enjoy the weather :)

can someone please tell me a little bit more about this required drug test ? it says they test for alcohol, and I cant lie, I definitely do drink... If we test positive for alcohol whats going to happen ? Also, has anyone done this test already ? Can you get it done anywhere or does it have to be some specific place ? Im going out of the country tomorrow and wont have time to get it done for another few weeks, does it have to be submitted by May 22nd ? Or do we just have to turn it in before classes start ? Please inform, any info would be greatly appreciated...

Anyone else feeling extremely bored???? OMG I can't wait for August 3rd!

Deleted!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.