2008-2009 Florida International University (FIU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL good point! :luck: to all of waiting to hear!

When I called, I was told to expect something in the postal mail by the 1st week of March. I'm thinking this is not exactly good news...:scared: (I'm part of the late September interview club, so this is getting torturous).

I think that if I do turn the scholarship down, I would go ahead and decline my spot as well so that someone who loves FIU can hear some good news. I'll let you guys know what I decide to do.

You have no idea how much getting in to FIU means to me.... I would happily take your place IF you turned it down. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this was mentioned already anywhere, but FIU had mentioned that the class size will actually be 43 students (something about the max they are able to exceed the 40 seats has to be less than 10% of 40)...Not sure if that is significant for anyone, but at least it increases chances slightly.

Not sure if this was mentioned already anywhere, but FIU had mentioned that the class size will actually be 43 students (something about the max they are able to exceed the 40 seats has to be less than 10% of 40)...Not sure if that is significant for anyone, but at least it increases chances slightly.

hah first of all, that's hilarious to the person that said February ends today!

Second of all-- let's hope its more like LESS THAN or EQUAL TO 10%
Wouldn't hurt to make it a grand total of 44! Ugh.

Last edited:
has anyone still not heard anything post-interview? i interviewed in september and havent gotten any news back since. Anyone wanna call?

has anyone still not heard anything post-interview? i interviewed in september and havent gotten any news back since. Anyone wanna call?
Same here.

This is the week we should be receiving notification. Unfortunately, I think it will be bad news, most likely mass rejections. It seems like a bunch of accepted/waitlisted people have received second look notification for late March. If those of us who have not heard back are supposed to also come for a second look (aka being waitlisted or accepted), we would have gotten something by now. However, I'm hoping that I still can't get a read on FIU and they will surprise us all with decent news soon!

Anyone wanna call?

Pretty much the entire east coast got slammed by some snow Sunday/Monday. So I was thinking if I don't have a letter from them by Thursday, I would call on Friday.

Finally some news to report...I got a "Final Pool" letter in the mail today. I interviewed in late September, and had not heard back until today. The letter states that my decision has been deferred until after May 15th. I did not get any mention of coming to a second look. Good luck to the rest of you.

That sort of sounds like a low priority wait list...why call it a Final Pool? Or am I missing something?

That sort of sounds like a low priority wait list...why call it a Final Pool? Or am I missing something?

It pretty much is a low-tier waitlist. They either accept you right out, send you to an "accepted-waitlist", "final pool", or reject. The accepted-waitlist people have a majority of the adcom's votes, but I guess there were not enough seats to offer them acceptances right away at the time. These people are the ones who got invited to a second look, I think. I spoke to someone over the phone from FIU who said the chances of coming off the final pool are probably slim. Oh well, now I can take a vacation from pondering over FIU and this thread until at least May 15th.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Where do you live? I'm just wondering b/c I already got the mail today, and I didn't get anything yet.

I have removed myself from the admit waitlist after being accepted at Keck USC.

Goodluck to all of those of you who are still waiting. I think that FIU's HELP program will make it an amazing experience that will give you truly fabulous patient interaction skills and ...for lack of better wording, hone and fuel your compassion.

When I called to withdraw my app, I asked...there are 150 spots on the admit waitlist, which didn't sound so ridiculous :luck:

So, I think that if those of y'all with other offers you wanna take actually withdraw your offers and waitlist spots from FIU, admit waitlisters on here will start seeing some action...hopefully.

Good Luck everybody!!!

After getting nothing but the cold shoulder for over half a year, I got into the Final Pool. I take this as good news, considering that I tanked my interview.

Of course, if it's one of those "we don't really feel like rejecting anyone yet..." then I'll retain my pessimism.

I have removed myself from the admit waitlist after being accepted at Keck USC.

Goodluck to all of those of you who are still waiting. I think that FIU's HELP program will make it an amazing experience that will give you truly fabulous patient interaction skills and ...for lack of better wording, hone and fuel your compassion.

When I called to withdraw my app, I asked...there are 150 spots on the admit waitlist, which didn't sound so ridiculous :luck:

150 people on the admit waitlist? That's ridiculous! I'm sure they will be only a handful of spots available even after May 15. I'm afraid FIU is not doing the best job with the whole admission process.:mad:

150 people on the admit waitlist? That's ridiculous! I'm sure they will be only a handful of spots available even after May 15. I'm afraid FIU is not doing the best job with the whole admission process.:mad:
Sounds outrageous to me too!!!! I got final pool letter today. Arg.

Well, search of who is waitlisted and accepted on MDApplicants:

-->7 are currently "admit" waitlisted, 6 have at least one other current *M.D.* acceptance...1 had only D.O. acceptances.
-->8 have been accepted and only one of them has no other M.D. acceptances (that person has other D.O. acceptances).

I realize SDN isn't wholly representative of the applicant pool, but, that means roughly, 110 of the people on the waitlist have other M.D. offers and most likely so do ~85% of those who've been accepted. If the majority took those other M.D. offers (b/c after all it is a new school), that would leave the acceptance pool at about 7 people and the admit waitlist at 40. . . . And that's assuming nobody takes an established D.O. program with known match lists over a brand spankin' new M.D. program.

(it also of course assumes nobody takes a new M.D. program over an established one...)

Keep positive guys... :)

I don't understand why they aren't more transparent, there is no reason to be so secretive. Does anyone have any conception of how large the waitlist pool is?

Also, how does the May 15 thing work .. I know they dont have to get back to you by then but dont they have an absolute deadline?

Oops didn't read the above strand .. 150 on the waitlist!? They most have lost their minds.

I don't understand why they aren't more transparent, there is no reason to be so secretive.

I am beginning to wonder if it isn't just lack of transparency in the whole post-interview applicant decision making precess. It seems like maybe they didn't have a definite idea of HOW exactly to weed through, rank, and decide among the 400+ interviewees.

Most schools have an established method of awarding points for each application aspect and ranking applicants by the total after the interview. It would seem to me that they either didn't use anything like that or that they didn't implement it until later in the cycle.

Just my opinion though. And I STILL haven't received anything.

Has anyone that was previously waitlisted since been accepted? I'm wondering if we all have to wait until May 15th or longer to hear from FIU again or if they will keep pulling people from the waitlist as accepted people withdraw...

Also, is anyone going to the second look? I can't, so any info they give about this waitlist would be great to hear! Thanks!

I know we're all frustrated waiting for decisions from FIU. But I think we really need to calm down.
FIU did not expect anywhere near the number of applicants who applied, and accordingly they've had to adjust. They have been pretty good at telling interview sessions that we will probably not hear anything for quite some time (I believe they told us that we would hear in/after February and I interviewed pretty early). And I think that's a good thing. I would rather know that the Committee has carefully reviewed all applications, mine included, to pick the best candidates possible for such a few number of spaces instead of being distracted by the numerous applications with bells and whistles. Selecting just 40 students out of hundreds and hundreds is not easy, especially when they're setting the foundation of who and what the school will be in the coming years.
Of course there is a set method for selecting students. There are probably a good number of students "tied"for positions, so they have to take more time to carefully make a decision.
As for the large admit waitlist- it makes sense for them, doesn't it? They would prefer to have a large list in case they need to go through it rather than a small waitlist that they may run through without filling their spots. After all, FIU has no way of really knowing how many students will accept or decide to go elsewhere.
As for those of us who have not yet heard anything- it's probably safest to say we're in the Final Pool. And from the looks of it, we have slim to no chance of getting accepted. So I guess we may as well be rejected. I'm just waiting for that decision on paper.
Pietachok- thanks for all the information. Hopefully there are more students like you who once they decide they're going elsewhere will turn down their acceptance/waitlist spot to give others of us a chance.
Good luck to the rest of you. Hopefully we'll all have acceptances (FIU or not) coming our way.

I know we're all frustrated waiting for decisions from FIU. But I think we really need to calm down.
FIU did not expect anywhere near the number of applicants who applied, and accordingly they've had to adjust. They have been pretty good at telling interview sessions that we will probably not hear anything for quite some time (I believe they told us that we would hear in/after February and I interviewed pretty early). And I think that's a good thing. I would rather know that the Committee has carefully reviewed all applications, mine included, to pick the best candidates possible for such a few number of spaces instead of being distracted by the numerous applications with bells and whistles. Selecting just 40 students out of hundreds and hundreds is not easy, especially when they're setting the foundation of who and what the school will be in the coming years.
Of course there is a set method for selecting students. There are probably a good number of students "tied"for positions, so they have to take more time to carefully make a decision.
As for the large admit waitlist- it makes sense for them, doesn't it? They would prefer to have a large list in case they need to go through it rather than a small waitlist that they may run through without filling their spots. After all, FIU has no way of really knowing how many students will accept or decide to go elsewhere.
As for those of us who have not yet heard anything- it's probably safest to say we're in the Final Pool. And from the looks of it, we have slim to no chance of getting accepted. So I guess we may as well be rejected. I'm just waiting for that decision on paper.
Pietachok- thanks for all the information. Hopefully there are more students like you who once they decide they're going elsewhere will turn down their acceptance/waitlist spot to give others of us a chance.
Good luck to the rest of you. Hopefully we'll all have acceptances (FIU or not) coming our way.

I understand your point. It's just that inviting interviewees for a second look is quite unprecedented and also EXPENSIVE for me! If I decide to go, the trip budget will come out to be $600++ (Btw, I'm from West Coast). So I want some kind of reassurance that I'll have a fairly good chance of getting off the Admit Waitlist if I'm going to fly all the way there. But, considering the large size of the Admit Waitlist, I'm afraid this second campus visit might turn out to be another one of their "Let's try this and see how it works out." But, despite all my complaints, I still love the school and am more than happy to go there.;)

I understand your point. It's just that inviting interviewees for a second look is quite unprecedented and also EXPENSIVE for me! If I decide to go, the trip budget will come out to be $600++ (Btw, I'm from West Coast). So I want some kind of reassurance that I'll have a fairly good chance of getting off the Admit Waitlist if I'm going to fly all the way there. But, considering the large size of the Admit Waitlist, I'm afraid this second campus visit might turn out to be another one of their "Let's try this and see how it works out." But, despite all my complaints, I still love the school and am more than happy to go there.;)

I see. You're definitely in a tough spot. Maybe if you call and explain your situation they may be of more help. If not, I'm sure they can send you all the materials/talk you through their second look if you are accepted. Or maybe you can make a vacation out of the trip!

Have you simply tried calling/emailing and asking if you could find out at least which third of the waitlist you are on? And if they are still secretive telling them it impacts your decision to come re-visit?

When I called and found out the length of the waitlist, they were very nice...I'm kinda thinking a lot of people didn't call...or weren't really polite when they did call.

Have you simply tried calling/emailing and asking if you could find out at least which third of the waitlist you are on? And if they are still secretive telling them it impacts your decision to come re-visit?

When I called and found out the length of the waitlist, they were very nice...I'm kinda thinking a lot of people didn't call...or weren't really polite when they did call.

All I know is I'm on the "Admit Waitlist". Do you mean to say the waitlist itself is sub-ranked? This is definitely something I wasn't aware of.:eek:

When I asked the admissions lady about how long the waitlist is, she simply wouldn't discuss it in detail: she said I should find out more about it on March 30. :confused:

All I know is I'm on the "Admit Waitlist". Do you mean to say the waitlist itself is sub-ranked? This is definitely something I wasn't aware of.:eek:

When I asked the admissions lady about how long the waitlist is, she simply wouldn't discuss it in detail: she said I should find out more about it on March 30. :confused:

DAVATTIC, you don't allow PM'ing. um...I want to message you. Can you PM me with an email address or something, or once you PM me will I be able to PM you back?

from wut i heard really few ppl has sign up for the second look

from wut i heard really few ppl has sign up for the second look

Hmmm, interesting. I really want to go but I am already out of town that weekend. I was especially looking forward to meeting potential classmates!

Hi everyone, wanted to let you know that I have declined my seat in the incoming class. Hopefully this will help those of you still waiting for a decision. Best of luck!

Hi everyone, wanted to let you know that I have declined my seat in the incoming class. Hopefully this will help those of you still waiting for a decision. Best of luck!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

."Congratulations! On behalf of the Admissions Committee of the Florida International University College of Medicine, we are pleased to offer you a seat in the Inaugural Class beginning August 3rd, 2009. A formal letter, containing forms which need to be signed and received back in our office by Tuesday, March 31st, will be mailed to you on Monday.".

.Got this in my e-mail just a few hours ago. Good luck to the rest of you. Hopefully the list moves in your favor.
. .

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

."Congratulations! On behalf of the Admissions Committee of the Florida International University College of Medicine, we are pleased to offer you a seat in the Inaugural Class beginning August 3rd, 2009. A formal letter, containing forms which need to be signed and received back in our office by Tuesday, March 31st, will be mailed to you on Monday.".

.Got this in my e-mail just a few hours ago. Good luck to the rest of you. Hopefully the list moves in your favor.

Congratulations on your acceptance. Is FIU your top choice?

count me in on the 27th!

What is everyone wearing on Friday??

Gabe, did you ever call to inquire about the dresscode?

What is everyone wearing on Friday??

Gabe, did you ever call to inquire about the dresscode?

I went in and asked. I was told "business casual," whatever that means. They did also mention that for the prof and stuff they'll all be wearing suit and tie b/c that's how they dress all the time. So I guess I'll just wear a suit with a tie and if I look overdressed I'll take the tie off.

I am just gonna wear a long sleeve shirt and slacks, maybe the tie too. I am excited to see who are going to be my classmates :D

Is a lavender suit with pink shirt and shoes a little too much for tomorrow?

Is a lavender suit with pink shirt and shoes a little too much for tomorrow?

dont forget the matching hat with a long green feather on it. And ofcourse is not complete if u dont have a cane with u

dont forget the matching hat with a long green feather on it. And ofcourse is not complete if u dont have a cane with u

I don't have the hat and cane but I already have the lavender suit and pink shirt. That's what I wore to the prom. hahahaahaha

I don't have the hat and cane but I already have the lavender suit and pink shirt. That's what I wore to the prom. hahahaahaha

u still fit in that. wow, if i put on my prom suit the bottoms would go flying so fast that they might kill someone

u still fit in that. wow, if i put on my prom suit the bottoms would go flying so fast that they might kill someone

I'm sure the shirt would be a bit tight but the pants should still be ok. Don't think I've gotten any taller over the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.