2008-2009 Dartmouth Medical Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone elucidate Dartmouth's admissions process? Are people who interviewed early (Sept-Dec) and have not heard anything in some sort of limbo between Accept and Waitlist? I figure if our batting averages were below the "waitlist range" then we would have received a rejection by now, if we were in the "waitlist range" then we would have received an email by now. Any thoughts?

They havent sent post-interview rejections yet, so I have concluded people not yet on the waitlist are actually rejects waiting for them to finally send the letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone elucidate Dartmouth's admissions process? Are people who interviewed early (Sept-Dec) and have not heard anything in some sort of limbo between Accept and Waitlist?

That's pretty much the way it works. They do reject people early in the admissions process (as well as accept and waitlist). Basically, as the process goes on, the cut-off score for acceptance starts to go down a bit. So, if after the interview you're scored too high for being put on the wait list and too low to be accepted right away, you just don't hear anything for a while. Like I said, though, they do reject, accept, and waitlist throughout the cycle, so no news is not necessarily bad news.

To give you an idea of my timeline: I interviewed MD/PhD in early November (way back in 2005) and was admitted in December. My application had to go through MD and MD/PhD admissions processes, so it can go even faster for MD applicants. It can, however, also move much slower.

I interviewed at DMS the day before and I can really see myself going there... So the timeline for notification is usually a month after right? Does anybody know the specifics of the "batting average" calculation... like is it a composite of GPA, MCAT etc. and to what extent and weighting? It'd definitely be nicer if the whole process was transparent!

Amazing hospital, school and learning environment... I can't think of a better place to become a doctor!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at DMS the day before and I can really see myself going there... So the timeline for notification is usually a month after right? Does anybody know the specifics of the "batting average" calculation... like is it a composite of GPA, MCAT etc. and to what extent and weighting? It'd definitely be nicer if the whole process was transparent!

Amazing hospital, school and learning environment... I can't think of a better place to become a doctor!

You interviewed Wednesday? Mine was Tuesday! When I asked, they told me that at the latest we'd hear back by mid-late April, which isn't saying much. I guess it really depends on if your batting average is in the middle of nowhere or towards the either extreme ends... and they can't tell you much about when you'll hear back before then.

I thought the batting average number came from the different voters in the committee who are voting and assigning scores to your application or something? But I do remember them mentioning something about fractions and decimals of points so it must be something more complex than "oh, I think I'll give this student 0.859 because s/he was clearly better than the next kid who I'll give 0.339"...

Got the waitlist email today!!! I remember during the interview day being told that if we were waitlisted, we'll get a postcard or something....do any of you guys know more about it?

Got the waitlist email today!!! I remember during the interview day being told that if we were waitlisted, we'll get a postcard or something....do any of you guys know more about it?

Don't really remember, but got the waitlist email today too. So much for a very good interview. lol.

In the waitlist email, it said:
Late in the spring, we will send an email asking Waiting List candidates to indicate their continued interest in DMS.

Can someone please call the Admissions Office and ask what it means for those who interviewed early (before December) and have still not heard back and when we can expect to hear anything back?

Thanks.

i just saw 2 more of you guys interviewing today in Borwell...looking real nervous. haha. Didn't know they were still doing interviews. good luck!

I was going to withdraw earlier this month but I have not yet done that. I found Dartmouth students to be very stressed out. May be it was the timing. Did anyone see/feel that ? Just curious.

I found Dartmouth students to be very stressed out. May be it was the timing. Did anyone see/feel that ?

You probably met some of the second years. The rest of us are very laid back. Their class, on the other hand, is legendary at Dartmouth for working too hard and not playing hard enough. The first years fixed that :)

Members don't see this ad :)
cool. Thanks for clarifying that pnerd. 2013 class will be >>>> supercoool ;)

Interesting development: Dartmouth just announced its new president, Jim Yong Kim. He's an MD from Harvard who was formerly the director of the World Health Organization’s HIV/AIDS division. He seems very focused on pushing research and supporting the grad schools, so I imagine this will be great for DMS...both in terms of its relationship with the College and, I bet, in its future US News rankings (you know how they love research).

Here's an article from the student paper for those interested: http://thedartmouth.com/2009/03/02/news/kim/

He worked with Paul Farmer (PIH). His work is described in the Mounains Beyond Mountains book. I am so excited. All I need is an acceptance from Dartmouth and I am in. I have a new found love for Dartmuth. :love:

Thanks for sharing the good news dudette

Last edited:
Ms./Dr Sally Hillman Redman
Mr/Dr Andrew Welch

Please let me know. I tried to look up and I could not find their education background. I appreciate it

Thanks a bunch

Last edited:
Ms. Sally Hillman Redman
Mr. Andrew Welch (he goes by Andy, but if you're writing a thank you card, just say Mr. Welch).

I also interviewed with Sally and I still see her around now and then. During my orientation, she invited all of the members of my class she had interviewed over to her house for a pot luck. She's awesome. Andy's a great guy too.

Thanks a bunch physics nerd

Just got the card from the Dean in the mail today. Is there a facebook group? I wish all of you the best of luck.

They send acceptances via snail mail then?

Andy Welch, the Dean of Admissions, is a big fan of personal touches, like hand-written notes in the snail-mail acceptances. I think it goes pretty well with the idea of Dartmouth Medical School as a family, and not just a school. It does, however, make us look a little old school (which is not necessarily bad).

Andy Welch, the Dean of Admissions, is a big fan of personal touches, like hand-written notes in the snail-mail acceptances. I think it goes pretty well with the idea of Dartmouth Medical School as a family, and not just a school. It does, however, make us look a little old school (which is not necessarily bad).

I absolutely love the idea. It really says something nice when someone takes an extra moment out of their day to call or write you a letter. It means that they realize how big a moment it is in a pre-med's life. :p

I interviewed in November. If you haven't heard anything from Dartmouth, you are probably between either accept and waitlist or waitlist and reject.

I interviewed in November. If you haven't heard anything from Dartmouth, you are probably between either accept and waitlist or waitlist and reject.

Just keeping tabs on the time-line is all. I interview the day before christmas, so it looks like us December folks are up next (I hope!).

Waitlisted...

Today.

Is that a good sign? An early waitlist?

Waitlisted...

Today.

Is that a good sign? An early waitlist?

waitlisted today too :( boo.

i interviewed like 2 weeks ago. what does this mean? (as opposed to, for instance, people who interviewed like months ago and haven't heard anything?)

I thought they were doing this thing where they start accepting and rejecting from the top and the bottom of the score list, so waitlisted people (ie. middle of that score list) wouldn't hear back for a long time...

waitlisted today too :( boo.

i interviewed like 2 weeks ago. what does this mean? (as opposed to, for instance, people who interviewed like months ago and haven't heard anything?)

I thought they were doing this thing where they start accepting and rejecting from the top and the bottom of the score list, so waitlisted people (ie. middle of that score list) wouldn't hear back for a long time...

You probably fell in the score range that they've already established for the waitlist since they started sending out WL decisions in December. That range will probably widen along with the accept and reject range as they make final decisions and those people that are between groups are going to be waiting the longest.

did the folks that heard today hear via snail or email?

Finally got the pre-interview rejection today. Was complete in July, wonder what took them so long. Whatevs

I was accepted to Dartmouth Med this morning. I cant even begin to express what Im feeling. It is a dream come true. I would love to meet all of the rest of you... Can someone tell me if there is a facebook page, etc?

I was accepted to Dartmouth Med this morning. I cant even begin to express what Im feeling. It is a dream come true. I would love to meet all of the rest of you... Can someone tell me if there is a facebook page, etc?

Congradulations! Can you give us lowly waitlisted mortals some idea of your application, stats and interview experience? It would be a great help to gauge where we stand individually.

Congradulations! Can you give us lowly waitlisted mortals some idea of your application, stats and interview experience? It would be a great help to gauge where we stand individually.

judging from her screen name, she is either graduated from dartmouth undergrad or a New Hampshire resident, and it seems like she may have taken some time off.

In any case dartmouth med takes a ****load of its undergrad students, and i think they may like new hampshire residents more as well

so in any case, dartmouthgirl3's numbers will mean nothing

actually, let me scratch that
they will give you a false sense of hope, and you may be looking for that, so hopefully she responds

Wow. I find myself in complete and utter disbelief that you can even begin to suggest that the only reason I got into Dartmouth was the I went there undergrad. Thinking about it, I wonder why you even bothered to apply to a school that according to you just lets people in... My apologies to everyone else. I promise Im not normally this rude.

It is true Dartmouth takes a fair number of us that have attended undergrad there, approx. 7 alums per entering class. And 7 spots normally are reserved for residents of NH and Maine since they dont have their own medical school. But need I remind you, 35-45% of the class is generally reserved for international students and underrepresented minorities. I guess, what Im saying is, as the admissions office will tell you, Dartmouth is a niche school and builds its class to fill these particular niches. But, everyone who matriculates there is extremely qualified to be there. I feel so lucky to have gotten a spot in the entering class. I mean honestly, applying as an alum and knowing that there are only 7 spots for alumni, it was incredibly stressful. My interview day alone there were 9 alums interviewed and many with much better numbers than mine. So, I hoped and prayed for a spot, but did I think I would get one simply because I was an alum. No.

So... I will tell you my story, but first let me tell you that a friend of mine who was waitlisted called the admissions office last week asking what she could do to heighten her chances of coming off the waitlist. They told her that there really was nothing she could do. That admission to the school wasnt just about grades, MCAT, publications, but was about who you were as a person and where you would fit into their class and you cant change who you are. They told her that Dartmouth tries to build a cohesive diverse class. That everyone is offered a seat for a particular reason- they are from a certain location, are underrepresented, are special in some way... if that person doesnt accept their seat, then they look at the entire waitlist and find someone with similiar qualities and offer that person a spot... So, really you cant alter your chances. Everyone is qualified who is on the waitlist, it just depends what they are looking for.

Ok.. so my story. I am indeed a Dartmouth alum. I was an 03 but graduated in 04 and had a less than stellar undergrad academic record. I didnt think there was any hope of getting into med school at that point, so I decided to work in the medical field. I spent 4 years working full-time at Dartmouth Hitchcock as a nuclear medicine technologist, seeing patients on my own and performing diagnostic testing. I also did some research for the dept of Nuclear Cardiology. I have been certified in EKGs, cardiac stress testing, EMT-basic, EMT-intermediate... I then moved to Boston and did a Masters in Biomedical Science at Tufts at the recommendation of two different deans at DMS who I had asked for advice on how to improve my application. I was number 2 in my program. Had a 3.98 masters GPA and was invited to teach biochem small group to their med students this fall. I have a 33 MCAT. And I consider Dartmouth my home even though Im currently living in Boston and working in the ED at MAss General Hosp. Some of my best friends and greatest mentors have come from DHMC and I cant wait to get back to working with them.

So.. why tell you this.
#1 to make a point to the previous poster that I am definitely qualified to be at DMS
#2 to let you know that no matter what happens this year with your application, follow your heart and you will get in eventually. I was told by the Dartmouth career services office 8 years ago, I would never get into medical school- now I will be a DMS student... you can do it... and you dont have to do it the traditional way either.
#3 Be honest. I told the admissions committee that Dartmouth was my home and that I had learned the meaning of medicine and a life of service at DHMC. I told them that I had been part of their team for a long time and would do anything to attend DMS. I also told them all about my personal struggle with depression and the ways my life had changed in the last five years. I told them who I was and what I could bring to their class.

Ok.. I dont know what to say. I feel blessed to be returning to Hanover in the fall. I know Ive earned my spot. You dont know me... but Ive accomplished alot in the last five years. Before you judge all the Dartmouth alums and NH/ME residents- give them a chance. You may realize we are incredible people too.

Congrats dartmouthgirl03! Very inspirational story. I'm very happy for you!

they look at the entire waitlist and find someone with similiar qualities and offer that person a spot

Thanks for the info. I hope they end up wanting another musician in the class :luck:

#2 to let you know that no matter what happens this year with your application, follow your heart and you will get in eventually. I was told by the Dartmouth career services office 8 years ago, I would never get into medical school- now I will be a DMS student... you can do it... and you dont have to do it the traditional way either.

So true! Your story is inspirational. It makes me glad that you made it. If you replace "8 years ago" in your story with "3 years ago", you'd be back at the time when I was in one of my professor's office and he literally laughed at me when I told him I wanted to try and build an application to medical school. His advice (while laughing) was "don't even bother taking the MCAT because your grades show that you'll never be smart enough to do well on it." Outliers happen. You just have to be realistic about what you will have to do, be willing to make the sacrifices that are required, and to put in the time that will be needed to become one. (I guess I should also thank the prof who kept on pushing me to go for it. See sig.)

Good luck, and I hope I meet you at DMS someday.

Apparently Dartmouth thinks personality/cohesiveness=skin color? I hope you misinterpreted that because if they intentionally reject otherwise qualified people just to ensure they accept someone who is black then I would say their program needs to do some maturation.

Apparently Dartmouth thinks personality/cohesiveness=skin color? I hope you misinterpreted that because if they intentionally reject otherwise qualified people just to ensure they accept someone who is black then I would say their program needs to do some maturation.

Bah, that's not at all true. I'm a white guy and they let me in. I think Dartmouthgirl03's point is very well taken. Some of the members of my class that have added most to the learning environment and to the school haven't necessarily been those with the 40+ MCAT and the 4.0 GPAs. They've been people who had other amazing things in their applications, and whose personalities fit with the school. You have to understand that DMS is really like a family. The admissions people (who I admire, especially since they have to take 6000 applications and get a cohesive class of 80 out of it), typically do a great job of selecting for people whose personalities fit that of DMS. You could be an academic superstar, but if they don't get the feeling from your application or interview that you're the type of person/personality who would fit at DMS, you don't get in. I really appreciate that. I also really appreciate that they evaluate the whole applicant, and not just two numbers (that some schools think fully represent a candidate). Some of my favorite classmates--people who have done well in med school and who make DMS a better place (and this has NOTHING to do with skin color)--would not be here if the admissions process came down to just GPA and MCAT score.

Bah, that's not at all true. I'm a white guy and they let me in. I think Dartmouthgirl03's point is very well taken. Some of the members of my class that have added most to the learning environment and to the school haven't necessarily been those with the 40+ MCAT and the 4.0 GPAs. They've been people who had other amazing things in their applications, and whose personalities fit with the school. You have to understand that DMS is really like a family. The admissions people (who I admire, especially since they have to take 6000 applications and get a cohesive class of 80 out of it), typically do a great job of selecting for people whose personalities fit that of DMS. You could be an academic superstar, but if they don't get the feeling from your application or interview that you're the type of person/personality who would fit at DMS, you don't get in. I really appreciate that. I also really appreciate that they evaluate the whole applicant, and not just two numbers (that some schools think fully represent a candidate). Some of my favorite classmates--people who have done well in med school and who make DMS a better place (and this has NOTHING to do with skin color)--would not be here if the admissions process came down to just GPA and MCAT score.

What is the common "type" or personality trait you see in the students there?

What is the common "type" or personality trait you see in the students there?

Typically more-laid back than the average med student (all med students are type A, we're just less so). Smart. Personable. Cooperative. Passionate (about something, not necessarily medicine). Very aware of issues outside of medicine/science (if you live and breathe only medicine or science you won't fit in). A little ADD (we all do a lot of things outside of school). Obviously, this does not describe everyone, but it's what I sense they're going for over at admissions.

Here's the mission statement of the school:

"Dartmouth Medical School educates outstanding leaders prepared to transform medicine and science. The school aspires to be the best in the world at expanding knowledge and using it wisely to improve health, all done in the context of the tradition of collegiality of Dartmouth and the values its community honors. We are committed to the challenges of discovery and innovation and to their application to health care that meets the needs and wants of patients and society."

This is the statement I am referring to:

It is true Dartmouth takes a fair number of us that have attended undergrad there, approx. 7 alums per entering class. And 7 spots normally are reserved for residents of NH and Maine since they dont have their own medical school. But need I remind you, 35-45% of the class is generally reserved for international students and underrepresented minorities.

She says they reserve half the class for URM=skin color plays a bigger role than personality in many cases since you cant tell me only 40 qualified "laid-back" white/asian people apply out of the 6k applications they get.

This is the statement I am referring to:

She says they reserve half the class for URM=skin color plays a bigger role than personality in many cases since you cant tell me only 40 qualified "laid-back" white/asian people apply out of the 6k applications they get.

Yeah, they don't do that. The only reserving that goes on is: 5 spots for Maine residents (Maine pays Dartmouth for this), 5 spots for New Hampshire residents (since NH has no other med school), 5 spots for MD/PhD applicants. After that, there is no quota for URM or anything else. They look at each application, case by case, and then they assign a score to each applicant. Everyone above a certain score gets in. There isn't one admissions pool for URM and another for everyone else. Once a spot on the waitlist opens up, they re-evaluate ALL the waitlist applicants. They don't just take a URM applicant if an admitted URM applicant withdraws. URM status is just ONE aspect of an application that is taken into consideration.

And I have to say: of the obviously URM students in my class, most of them were probably more qualified to be at Dartmouth than I was (when ignoring skin color). I would also be pretty surprised if 30-40% of my class was URM, unless you include ALL international students (Canadians, etc.) in that category.

Right. Definitely didnt mean to start a discussion on this topic... I just meant that dartmouth looks for a wide breath of things and that diversity comes in many forms at DMS.

On a entirely unrelated topic, does anyone know when the MD/PhD decisions at DMS typically move along? It has been an awfully long time since my interview...eek.

On a entirely unrelated topic, does anyone know when the MD/PhD decisions at DMS typically move along? It has been an awfully long time since my interview...eek.

Since both the MD committee AND the MD/PhD admissions committee have to agree, it can take a bit longer. But all MD/PhD interviews have been over for a few weeks, so you should hear SOMETHING soon.

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that you are an MD/PhD'er in your earlier posts, so I was hoping you would chime in. I just really wish they would give me an answer (in either direction). DMS is my first choice, but the suspense is killing me!

Status
Not open for further replies.