2008-2009 Dartmouth Medical Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed in early october and I still haven't heard anything. The admissions office confirmed that they haven't yet made a decision. Is anyone else in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed in early october and I still haven't heard anything. The admissions office confirmed that they haven't yet made a decision. Is anyone else in this situation?

I'm in exactly the same situation. I also interviewed in early October but haven't heard anything from Dartmouth. I called the admissions office recently to ask and the woman I spoke to said that there's no decision on my file yet.

I'm in exactly the same situation. I also interviewed in early October but haven't heard anything from Dartmouth. I called the admissions office recently to ask and the woman I spoke to said that there's no decision on my file yet.

I guess people have been put on waitlists and such, but in our situation if you haven't heard anything what does that mean? Waitlist for the waitlist??

Members don't see this ad :)
I loved this school. We just don't have schools like this in Canada. Be it the incredible options for observerships or the incredible campus or awesome ski trails. It is a shame they only accept a handful of us Canucks. I looked at the mdapplicants and it seems a lot of people who interview at the D also interview at "bigger name" (Havard, Columbia,etc) schools, so I hope my odds of getting off this waitlist are pretty good, and I probably will attend if given the option. My interviewers were doctors of such high caliber that I am sure I would never have trouble finding a role model. My only problem with practicing in the states is the cost, but Dartmouth is one of the very few schools that can minimize that problem. I hope I get this, and I understand how other Dartmouth hopefuls feel. Best of luck!

I loved this school. We just don't have schools like this in Canada. Be it the incredible options for observerships or the incredible campus or awesome ski trails. It is a shame they only accept a handful of us Canucks. I looked at the mdapplicants and it seems a lot of people who interview at the D also interview at "bigger name" (Havard, Columbia,etc) schools, so I hope my odds of getting off this waitlist are pretty good, and I probably will attend if given the option. My interviewers were doctors of such high caliber that I am sure I would never have trouble finding a role model. My only problem with practicing in the states is the cost, but Dartmouth is one of the very few schools that can minimize that problem. I hope I get this, and I understand how other Dartmouth hopefuls feel. Best of luck!

We had quite a few Canadians in my class (not counting myself, even though I'm Canadian, since I had a green card when I applied). Probably 10% of the class is Canadian. Dartmouth is one of the few schools that doesn't care about citizenship, as long as you did undergrad in the US or Canada. Also remember that a good number of people in each class come off the waitlist, so you probably have a decent shot. Just be patient, and don't feel bashful about writing to the admissions people to let them know how much you want to be here.

Also, just for everyone still on the fence: Everyone who entered the match this year at Dartmouth did match (100% match rate, no scrambles). So, that's something to consider.

Just be patient, and don't feel bashful about writing to the admissions people to let them know how much you want to be here.
Haha, this is exactly how I feel: bashful!
Writing 'Thank you' notes and Letters of Interest/Intent is something I definitely have a hard time stomaching. I feel it is sort of sucking up and that is something I rarely do :oops:. On the other side...it is Dartmouth!However, I am patient because Dartmouth's waitlist starts to move at the same time Canadian acceptances come out, so no problem there!

Hey guys. For those of you who have visited Dartmouth, what did you think of the research? Dartmouth is one of my top choices for fall 2010, and I'd like to be involved in research as a med student (in the summers and over breaks). I love the small town setting and good reputation that DMS has, but I'm questioning the extent of medical research that occurs all the way up there.

Also, any engineers in the bunch that can talk about the engineering in medicine program up there?

Hey guys. For those of you who have visited Dartmouth, what did you think of the research? Dartmouth is one of my top choices for fall 2010, and I'd like to be involved in research as a med student (in the summers and over breaks). I love the small town setting and good reputation that DMS has, but I'm questioning the extent of medical research that occurs all the way up there.

Also, any engineers in the bunch that can talk about the engineering in medicine program up there?

Well, I'm doing a PhD in biomedical engineering right now, so I can talk about this. There is A LOT of research that goes on here, especially considering the size of the school. Most professors are also very open to having med students work in their labs. The engineering school is currently hiring more professors to do engineering in medicine research. Most of the biomedical engineering research that goes on is in imaging, especially soft tissue (breast and brain).

That's reassuring that Dartmouth is serious about research. I'm working on a MSBME now in a therapeutic ultrasound lab. I hope to stay away from imaging, but who knows, if it's something interesting enough, I could get into it. DMS sounds like a great place. Is your MD/PhD program really only 7 yrs? Most MD/PhDs that do BME end up taking 8 or 9 years.

Is your MD/PhD program really only 7 yrs? Most MD/PhDs that do BME end up taking 8 or 9 years.

Our requirements are the same as the other PhD students (other than having a few med school classes count as engineering electives), so it takes as long as it takes. Most of us are anticipating 3-4 years (closer to 4) for the PhD, especially since we typically spend the summer between years 1 and 2 and some of year 2 in the lab. Also, Dartmouth doesn't have TA requirements in engineering, so we can spend more time on research and less time on things that don't get us a PhD (like grading exams). So, we're a little faster than the regular PhD students, but that's because we get a head start and take slightly fewer courses, not because the program browbeats PIs into letting us out faster.

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured your engineering website was bluffing at least a little. It says the phd part of a typical engineering in medicine md/phd program only takes 3 yrs. Sounds cool though, hopefully I get an interview up there.

You probably met some of the second years. The rest of us are very laid back. Their class, on the other hand, is legendary at Dartmouth for working too hard and not playing hard enough. The first years fixed that :)

pnerd : I take everything back what I said about Dartmouth. I love Andy Welch and his handwritten note. He is my new hero.

Plus, it can only get better for me having Dr. Jim Kim there.

Does anyone know what the grading system is for Dartmouth? Ar eyears 1 & 2 Pass/fail? And how much of the curriculum is lecture, how much small group? Is there PBL? Are you in class 8-5ish?

Also, for current Dartmouth students - does it get boring/lonely living in such a small town?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the grading system is for Dartmouth? Ar eyears 1 & 2 Pass/fail? And how much of the curriculum is lecture, how much small group? Is there PBL? Are you in class 8-5ish?

Also, for current Dartmouth students - does it get boring/lonely living in such a small town?

Years 1 and 2: H/P/F. Years 3 and 4: H/HP/P/F. These could change.

Mostly lecture, some small group. PBL 3 hrs per week in second year. This amount of PBL is just right. Any more, and I don't think I would have learned as much. PBL in first year just doesn't make sense.

Class is typically 8-noon, with occasional afternoon things (~1:15-3:15). On doctoring preceptorship is every second week from about 1 until 5. PBL is one afternoon per week during second year from about 1:15 until 4:15.

I love living in Hanover. It's a very cosmopolitan middle of nowhere. If you like the outdoors, you will like Hanover. There are other things to do as well. The Hop is always good for inexpensive, high-quality entertainment. I love it here.

Does anyone know when decisions come out?

I have a small question for those already attending Dartmouth: how technologically up to date is the school?

For example, other places I interviewed recorded all lectures and posted them online, so they could be viewed from home not only if you missed class, but also to aid in reviewing before a test. Others had realistic patient simulators to help teach the cardiovascular system, etc. One had an amazing digital microscope for use in the histology labs, which allowed you to view the slides in great detail on your computer and zoom in and out as much as you wanted.

I have a small question for those already attending Dartmouth: how technologically up to date is the school?

Very. They've scanned most of the glass slides so that you can do virtual labs (I basically did all virtual in second year) so that you can dynamically move/zoom in on slides on your computer. You'll still have to learn how to use a microscope so that you can look at the gram stains you do in 1st/2nd year microbio and parasitology, but that's about it. (Virtually) almost lectures are audio recorded, and powerpoints and lecture notes are posted online (I basically didn't go to class much second year and just listened to the MP3s at 2x speed with the powerpoint open). A new virtual patient/skills lab is being built and should be done by June for the new 3rd years (fake robot patients/simulators for surgical skills, etc.) You're required to have a laptop and most people bring them EVERYWHERE.

Physicsnerd,

can you comment about the bar/club scene, I know Hanover doesn't have much, but can you describe how far you have to go to find this type of night life?

Thanks.

Very. They've scanned most of the glass slides so that you can do virtual labs (I basically did all virtual in second year) so that you can dynamically move/zoom in on slides on your computer. You'll still have to learn how to use a microscope so that you can look at the gram stains you do in 1st/2nd year microbio and parasitology, but that's about it. (Virtually) almost lectures are audio recorded, and powerpoints and lecture notes are posted online (I basically didn't go to class much second year and just listened to the MP3s at 2x speed with the powerpoint open). A new virtual patient/skills lab is being built and should be done by June for the new 3rd years (fake robot patients/simulators for surgical skills, etc.) You're required to have a laptop and most people bring them EVERYWHERE.

This was, by far, my biggest concern, as I pretty much got the complete opposite impression when I interviewed. I'm so happy you cleared this up for me, as now my choice of med school is much clearer. I'll be seeing you guys at Dartmouth in the fall!

wow, I guess that's why we have SDN!

Hi all,

If I interviewed in mid-February, does anyone have an idea of when I will hear back from Dartmouth? Thanks!

Physicsnerd,

can you comment about the bar/club scene, I know Hanover doesn't have much, but can you describe how far you have to go to find this type of night life?

Thanks.

Bars: right across the street from campus are several pubs/restaurants with bars (also a pretty cool one about 3 miles from the medical center). Clubs: well, there's one (sketchy) one about 5 miles from campus. If you want a good club, Boston is about 2 hours away, burlington about 90 minutes away, Montreal about 3 hours away. There may be something in Manchester/Concord (an hour), but I'm not sure.

I interviewed in jan and got in last week. Only school that has accepted me thus far. So random.

Areo

interviewed in mid october and still no word from dartmouth. However, it seems that from the Dartmouth thread last year that those who interviewed early and haven't heard back by mid/late march were all, at best, waitlisted.:sleep::sleep::sleep:

another waitlist...hopefully

I interviewed at the beginning of February...has anyone who interviewed around then heard anything back yet?

I interviewed at the end of February, and received my waitlist notification last week. Good luck everyone!

I interveiwed early December and just received my wait list email. Good luck everybody.

-----
Class of 2013 USC Keck or U of Miami Miller, or...

I interviewed in mid-February and heard back about wait list in March..I'm not sure what this means..have people been rejected post-interview from Dartmouth?

I interviewed at the beginning of February...has anyone who interviewed around then heard anything back yet?

Anyone know what the average scholarship given is? I got a little under $40,000 and I am extremely thankful for it.

Anyone know what the average scholarship given is? I got a little under $40,000 and I am extremely thankful for it.

Wow thats awesome!!! I think you just may be a lil over average, but thats my uninformed opinion. I didnt get that much, but I believe that its all based on need, after the base loan of 20k that they give everyone. Correct me if i'm wrong..

Just got my financial aid award...52k, much more than I thought I would get. The normal 21kish base loan, with an almost 31k scholarship. So, just want to make sure I have this completely straight...the scholarship is basically a gift, to pay for tuition, one you never have to pay back, and the base loan is what accumulates that you have to pay off eventually...right? And the difference between your total award and your total expenses (which they estimated at about 62k for first year students) you're expected to cover with family contribution/savings/etc....right?

The whole process has me slightly confused.

Just got my financial aid award...52k, much more than I thought I would get. The normal 21kish base loan, with an almost 31k scholarship. So, just want to make sure I have this completely straight...the scholarship is basically a gift, to pay for tuition, one you never have to pay back, and the base loan is what accumulates that you have to pay off eventually...right? And the difference between your total award and your total expenses (which they estimated at about 62k for first year students) you're expected to cover with family contribution/savings/etc....right?

The whole process has me slightly confused.

You got it. A small part of that 10k in family contribution that you have to make comes from their estimate of your summer earnings. I read somewhere in my paperwork that they expect you to make $2-3k over the summer to contribute to 1st year expenses. No need to be confused anymore, sounds like you understand it perfectly.

Are any of you folks international students? I'm from the great white north, and awaiting to receive my FinAid award letter...in the meantime I'm wondering what the typical scenario is for foreigners as we are not eligible for any federal loans. Anyone have any ideas?

Are any of you folks international students? I'm from the great white north, and awaiting to receive my FinAid award letter...in the meantime I'm wondering what the typical scenario is for foreigners as we are not eligible for any federal loans. Anyone have any ideas?

International here. They will compute your entire fin. aid packet to include your base loan (~20k ish), some sort of scholarship (based on need), and you'll get a chance at the DMS DELC loan (loan program offered by Dartmouth for international students), and possibly a 'Braley' loan, and finally your expected parental/student contribution. PM me for more info. I got my packet a couple days ago.

International here. They will compute your entire fin. aid packet to include your base loan (~20k ish), some sort of scholarship (based on need), and you'll get a chance at the DMS DELC loan (loan program offered by Dartmouth for international students), and possibly a 'Braley' loan, and finally your expected parental/student contribution. PM me for more info. I got my packet a couple days ago.

OMG! I should make it my life goal to get into Dartmouth.

OMG! I should make it my life goal to get into Dartmouth.

Why? Getting a ton of loans isn't necessarily a good thing... at least they help you find ways to pay for school, I guess.

Why? Getting a ton of loans isn't necessarily a good thing... at least they help you find ways to pay for school, I guess.

Well I meant for other reasons. but the fact that they help you get money is like cherry on top. intl students aren't usually supported in this way. so high-five dartmouth! keep doing what you do until its time for me to reapply!

1. what are your chances now if you are still on the wl (40% since they interviewed 600)?

2. if you havent received an acceptance, should you tell them as indicated by their ltr?

1. what are your chances now if you are still on the wl (40% since they interviewed 600)?

2. if you havent received an acceptance, should you tell them as indicated by their ltr?

1. No one knows. It depends on how many people accept their acceptance and on how many people are on the waitlist (and how strong of a candidate you are).

2. I don't see why not. It may not change anything, but I can't see why it would hurt you.

2. I don't see why not. It may not change anything, but I can't see why it would hurt you.

bc. arent u saying then u r a less competitive applicant? and most schools dont care and even if they did, they can check whether you are holding out a spot at this point...
i donno. i can see it hurting but im not sure without firsthand knowledge.

Last cycle, people started getting acceptances from the waitlist around this time. Does anyone know if this will happen again, this year?

On my interview day the admissions director indicated that they are not allowed to extend more offers than places available in the class (which is different from the way most schools do it). I would assume the waitlist starts moving as soon as people start withdrawing. We are getting very close to the 15th so it may happen soon!

I would assume the waitlist starts moving as soon as people start withdrawing. We are getting very close to the 15th so it may happen soon!
True. May 15th is the magic day when waitlist movement starts to happen. I still remember getting a call from one of my current classmates on May 16th (2006) to tell me she had just gotten off the waitlist.

Hey guys, I was wondering what's the best way to withdraw from Dartmouth? I think the most polite/respectable/whatever way would be to send a hard copy of a letter, but I don't think that would reach the east coast by May 15th. I was thinking of simply calling them and telling them "sup, don't think I can make it, thanks anyways"

Hey guys, I was wondering what's the best way to withdraw from Dartmouth? I think the most polite/respectable/whatever way would be to send a hard copy of a letter, but I don't think that would reach the east coast by May 15th. I was thinking of simply calling them and telling them "sup, don't think I can make it, thanks anyways"

You can email them, and then send a hard copy trying to be respectful. Also, I think that you should put a P.S. stating that I should be given your spot off of the waitlist;)

Status
Not open for further replies.