WVSOM vs. MUCOM... Oh jeez another one of these...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.O.hopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I know these threads are annoying and the differences are probably negligible but I would love to hear some opinions. Here's a list of things that are important to me and which school is currently in the lead with each category.

First time complex 1 pass rates: MUCOM is listed as being around 5% better (is this important?)

Location: I really like the small town feel that WVSOM has, it just seems like a good place to focus on studying and may make the class a little bit closer.

Rotations: This is the a big one for MUCOM, apparently they have rotations in great hospitals and you don't have many away rotations

Tuition: MUCOM is a fair bit cheeper because I am OOS at both schools around $14,000 cheeper after 3 years.

Founding year: Obviously MUCOM is a new school and and WVSOM is fairly established and all things being equal having an older program is usually better.

This is what I am considering so far, I would love to hear about other factors that I should consider when making this decision.

Members don't see this ad.

MUCOM

Its come to the point where your options are greater there. More hospital affiliations, more opportunities for research, and cheaper. The audition rotation is a moot point because you only have 14 weeks for WVSOM (very low), while I believe MUCOM is more (but most have to be affiliated with MUCOM, if a student could comment on it).

Members don't see this ad :)
MUCOM

Its come to the point where your options are greater there. More hospital affiliations, more opportunities for research, and cheaper. The audition rotation is a moot point because you only have 14 weeks for WVSOM (very low), while I believe MUCOM is more (but most have to be affiliated with MUCOM, if a student could comment on it).

This is kinda embarrassing but in all honesty I just found out what an audition rotation is. How are they different between schools? What I meant was that you don't have to move around a ton for MUCOMs rotations... Thanks for the input!

This is kinda embarrassing but in all honesty I just found out what an audition rotation is. How are they different between schools? What I meant was that you don't have to move around a ton for MUCOMs rotations... Thanks for the input!

For a good majority of schools you only move once for 3rd year rotations, this hub site will have all the require rotations you need to do. MUCOM makes it easier on you because all those rotations are in the same area as your school. This not audition rotations. What audition rotation is in reference to is during the 4th year where you rotate with residency programs you are interested in. Its an important time because it is something that could help you potentially match into that program and even the field its (you will need letter of recommendation for your specialty and auditions are a good way to get them).

WVSOM has only 14 weeks of elective rotations and this is only time you can use your elective rotations to audition (i.e. audition rotations). Most residency programs like you to do at least 1 month at their programs. This means you can only rotate at 3 programs during fourth year (i.e. 3 programs X 4 week each = 12 weeks total, and the 2 weeks would be a waste for auditions). I am uncertain of the fate of MUCOM because the first class had 24 weeks of electives and these could be potentially used for audition rotations. However, under different leadership for clinical rotations they could only do 2 auditions rotations outside of MUCOM affiliates, which is terrible. The reason is because for competitive AOA residencies you need audition for the programs to even interview with them, and to match as an end result.

This is why you should be aware of audition rotations also.