WVSOM - West Liberty Bridge Program 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent8778

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was just accepted to this program and could not find a current thread for it... Anyone else accepted/planning on attending in fall 2019?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I was just accepted to this program and could not find a current thread for it... Anyone else accepted/planning on attending in fall 2019?
Heyy! Accepted too and will most likely attend (Fall 2019).

Members don't see this ad :)
awesome! i wish i could talk to someone in the program now and hear what they have to say about it
Someone in the program was kind enough to share some advice: get the required MCAT score (495 or greater) for guaranteed acceptance BEFORE the program starts, be ready to study hard, try to stay on campus for the year if you can, and for some weird reason, electives are taken in the spring semester, could change this year. Hopefully that gives you some idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for that insight! Did they say anything about how rigorous the classes are?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Someone in the program was kind enough to share some advice: get the required MCAT score (495 or greater) for guaranteed acceptance BEFORE the program starts, be ready to study hard, try to stay on campus for the year if you can, and for some weird reason, electives are taken in the spring semester, could change this year. Hopefully that gives you some idea.

Thank you for that insight! Did they say anything about how rigorous the classes are?

Yes, they are medical school-style classes so definitely rigorous. On the bright side you'll be ready for first year of med school.

Was accepted to this program today and will most likely attend. I've heard it's a smaller program (this year has 13), but I'm excited as well!

I'll probably look into housing in the next month or two with the start date being somewhere in August.

Reactions: 1 users
Was accepted to this program today and will most likely attend. I've heard it's a smaller program (this year has 13), but I'm excited as well!

I'll probably look into housing in the next month or two with the start date being somewhere in August.
Congrats and welcome to the group! I'm wondering if there's a FB page for the incoming class.

Also accepted to the program this week!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats and welcome to the group! I'm wondering if there's a FB page for the incoming class.

I’m not sure if there’s one, also does anyone know how they’ll calculate our GPAs for the guaranteed acceptance (3.2c, 3.0s)?

Is it through AACOMAS? Because the conditional interview to WVSOM is this summer

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not sure if there’s one, also does anyone know how they’ll calculate our GPAs for the guaranteed acceptance (3.2c, 3.0s)?

Is it through AACOMAS? Because the conditional interview to WVSOM is this summer

I want to say they go by the calculation provided by AACOMAS. Sara would be a good person to get clarification from. The incoming class will be the second class since the program started, some changes have been made from what I gather from a current student.

I want to say they go by the calculation provided by AACOMAS. Sara would be a good person to get clarification from. The incoming class will be the second class since the program started, some changes have been made from what I gather from a current student.

Is Sara from West Liberty or WVSOM? I’m probably calling both after this weekend to get full clarification.

Is Sara from West Liberty or WVSOM? I’m probably calling both after this weekend to get full clarification.

Sara is at West Liberty. Let us know what you hear back. Thanks

Welcome! I believe it is the GPA calculated through AACOMAS. As far as housing goes, I’ve heard it’s best to live on campus. We should definitely get a Facebook group going!

Where is everyone from? I’m coming from NC. I heard a lot of people come from out of state.

Sara is at West Liberty. Let us know what you hear back. Thanks

Yep confirmed that it's through AACOMAS. Interview is sometime in the summer, classes are smaller in size/challenging, and it is highly recommended to live on campus in one of the apartments. I'm also from OOS.

Yep confirmed that it's through AACOMAS. Interview is sometime in the summer, classes are smaller in size/challenging, and it is highly recommended to live on campus in one of the apartments. I'm also from OOS.

Yeah I heard the on campus apartments go fast. I went ahead and paid my $100 housing deposit to hold a spot.

Guys,
Just fyi, if any of you is already planning out your summer, like I am - I spoke to someone in admissions at WVSOM about interviews for the bridge program students, who confirmed to me that they are aiming for sometime in July (not June). Interview invites would go out around June most probably due to delay in getting verified apps back from AACOMAS.

And as a reminder, please make sure to have that MCAT score of 495 or higher for the guaranteed acceptance BEFORE the program starts. A former student of the program mentioned to me that they did not really have the MCAT prep class as indicated on the curriculum and were forced to purchase the online Kaplan course, out of pocket. If you ask me, definitely not worth it.

Last edited:
Guys,
Just fyi, if any of you is already planning out your summer, like I am - I spoke to someone in admissions at WVSOM about interviews for the bridge program students, who confirmed to me that they are aiming for sometime in July (not June). Interview invites would go out around June most probably due to delay in getting verified apps back from AACOMAS.

And as a reminder, please make sure to have that MCAT score of 495 or higher for the guaranteed acceptance BEFORE the program starts. A former student of the program mentioned to me that they did not really have the MCAT prep class as indicated on the curriculum and were forced to purchase the online Kaplan course, out of pocket. If you ask me, definitely not worth it.

Yes definitely need the 495 before it starts. I was told you need that score by the June 1st deadline.

Hey there, do you know if the interview is guaranteed this summer? I was accepted today, but after emailing WLU, it seems as though WVSOM still determines IF you will be interviewed in July. They didn’t make it seem like an interview was guaranteed even if you did get accepted to the program. I may have read the email wrong however.

Thanks!
A member of the admissions committee at WVSOM confirmed to me that the interview will be sometime in July as long as you meet the requirements (i.e. 3.2 with a 3.0 Science GPA and MCAT of 495 or higher by June 1st (application deadline)). Soon after the interview, students will be provided a conditional acceptance pending fulfillment of the master's degree with a 3.4 GPA.

A member of the admissions committee at WVSOM confirmed to me that the interview will be sometime in July as long as you meet the requirements (i.e. 3.2 with a 3.0 Science GPA and MCAT of 495 or higher by June 1st (application deadline)). Soon after the interview, students will be provided a conditional acceptance pending fulfillment of the master's degree with a 3.4 GPA.

Oh man, that’s awesome!! Thanks for getting back to me.

Hey there, do you know if the interview is guaranteed this summer? I was accepted today, but after emailing WLU, it seems as though WVSOM still determines IF you will be interviewed in July. They didn’t make it seem like an interview was guaranteed even if you did get accepted to the program. I may have read the email wrong however.

Thanks!

I was also told the interview is in July!! Welcome!!

I was also told the interview is in July!! Welcome!!

Have you heard anything from past students? I wonder if the interview is more of a formality. It would really suck to interview all the way in July only to get denied from the guaranteed acceptance.

Have you heard anything from past students? I wonder if the interview is more of a formality. It would really suck to interview all the way in July only to get denied from the guaranteed acceptance.
The interview is somewhat a formality but not totally from what I gather. You still need to have the basics down such as why you want to be a doctor, why medicine, why osteopathic medicine, why WVSOM, what do you expect to gain out of the bridge program, etc. Its a medical school interview regardless of the fact that we are going through the bridge program so make sure to leave a good impression. The good news is you have time between now and then to start practicing. Practice helps you build confidence. Record yourself answering those types of questions and play them back to see how you do. Ask a friend or family member to give you mock interviews and lastly, look for videos on youtube if you still need hints on performing well.

The interview is somewhat a formality but not totally from what I gather. You still need to have the basics down such as why you want to be a doctor, why medicine, why osteopathic medicine, why WVSOM, what do you expect to gain out of the bridge program, etc. Its a medical school interview regardless of the fact that we are going through the bridge program so make sure to leave a good impression. The good news is you have time between now and then to start practicing. Practice helps you build confidence. Record yourself answering those types of questions and play them back to see how you do. Ask a friend or family member to give you mock interviews and lastly, look for videos on youtube if you still need hints on performing well.

I agree. My understanding is the the interview is pretty much to make sure you match up to what you are on paper. Can present your self well, carry on conversation, show a passion for medicine, etc..

Admissions from WVSOM informed me that they had 6 applicants who both met the minimum requirements and had successful interviews. I’m definitely excited at even the opportunity to interview there!

Admissions from WVSOM informed me that they had 6 applicants who both met the minimum requirements and had successful interviews. I’m definitely excited at even the opportunity to interview there!
Nice!!! A former student from the program told me there are about 8 students left in the class out of 13 that started. 6 out of 8 students is awesome! Thanks for sharing!!!

Nice!!! A former student from the program told me there are about 8 students left in the class out of 13 that started. 6 out of 8 students is awesome! Thanks for sharing!!!

Does that mean they had the required stats including 3.2cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 495 or higher MCAT, and a 3.4 in the first semester of the program? +successful interview

So all they would need is a 3.4 or higher when they finish the program in May? Seems straightforward if that's the case.

Does that mean they had the required stats including 3.2cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 495 or higher MCAT, and a 3.4 in the first semester of the program? +successful interview

So all they would need is a 3.4 or higher when they finish the program in May? Seems straightforward if that's the case.

"Students must graduate from the MAB with a GPA of 3.4 or higher", not just the first semester. Yes, its pretty straightforward

That’s really encouraging to hear! Honestly so glad I found this program. Most programs just offer a guaranteed interview not acceptance.

That’s really encouraging to hear! Honestly so glad I found this program. Most programs just offer a guaranteed interview not acceptance.
Same! I got into a few other SMPs with linkage but I've chosen to go with this program specifically for that reason (guaranteed acceptance). A lot of the other SMPs that offer guaranteed interviews required a higher MCAT than what this program is offering (another plus).

Same! I got into a few other SMPs with linkage but I've chosen to go with this program specifically for that reason (guaranteed acceptance). A lot of the other SMPs that offer guaranteed interviews required a higher MCAT than what this program is offering (another plus).

Exactly. This program and VCOM’s program are the only two programs that I’ve come across with guaranteed acceptance. The VCOM program had higher gpa requirements to meet while in the program so I went with this one. Not that I don’t want the challenge but I want that acceptance lol

Exactly. This program and VCOM’s program are the only two programs that I’ve come across with guaranteed acceptance. The VCOM program had higher gpa requirements to meet while in the program so I went with this one. Not that I don’t want the challenge but I want that acceptance lol

I also like this program, the only iffy part I have is the fact that it’s still very new. It’s a good sign that they have people on track for the guaranteed acceptance. I also like the fact that WVSOM (the actual med school) doesn’t have mandatory attendance/dress code (I think) compared to VCOM.

True, I don't blame you at all lol. LECOM has one but requires an MCAT in the 40th percentile (around 498 or so).

I also like this program, the only iffy part I have is the fact that it’s still very new. It’s a good sign that they have people on track for the guaranteed acceptance. I also like the fact that WVSOM (the actual med school) doesn’t have mandatory attendance/dress code (I think) compared to VCOM.

I like that this program is smaller. The program is new so yeah that could be iffy but the WVSOM is one of the oldest osteopathic schools around, began back in 1974. I have a feeling that after a couple years of this program being around it will blow up and they will raise the requirements.

I like that this program is smaller. The program is new so yeah that could be iffy but the WVSOM is one of the oldest osteopathic schools around, began back in 1974. I have a feeling that after a couple years of this program being around it will blow up and they will raise the requirements.
I like it too for the reason it is small. I agree with @777premed about WVSOM. We only need to get through the first year at West Liberty but our medical program will be with a solid DO program. And for sure @777premed , I certainly see them raising the requirement for the program. Its a good deal. The tuition is so affordable as well compared to other programs.

Makes me wonder what happened with those 5 students who left. Did they interview and it wasn’t successful? Or was the program too difficult?

Makes me wonder what happened with those 5 students who left. Did they interview and it wasn’t successful? Or was the program too difficult?

The below info is a recount of 1 student, so fair warning!

The former student I talked to left the program because the student did not have the MCAT requirement & was banking on the MCAT prep class, which ended up not being offered as stated in the curriculum. Students who needed to retake the MCAT were asked to buy the Kaplan online class out of pocket ($1600 or so)- this gave me an indication there was more than 1 student who entered the program without the MCAT requirement. The student also complained about competitiveness between themselves in the class (I found this weird ). The student also felt the school was not as established as other SMPs in providing a conducive medical school experience (Not a deal breaker for me as it is not the actual medical school). The student stated that classes offered will prepare you for medical school but "some of the classes asked unimportant questions" (direct quote). "Classes require a lot of work" (no surprises there).

To answer your question based on the above student's experience; they obviously did not meet the requirement for the the guaranteed admission therefore did not interview the first semester before they left.

The take home message is; make sure you have the requirements for the guaranteed admission prior to the program besides the 3.4 GPA at the end of the program which shouldn't be hard to pull if you work for it.

The below info is a recount of 1 student, so fair warning!

The former student I talked to left the program because the student did not have the MCAT requirement & was banking on the MCAT prep class, which ended up not being offered as stated in the curriculum. Students who needed to retake the MCAT were asked to buy the Kaplan online class out of pocket ($1600 or so)- this gave me an indication there was more than 1 student who entered the program without the MCAT requirement. The student also complained about competitiveness between themselves in the class (I found this weird ). The student also felt the school was not as established as other SMPs in providing a conducive medical school experience (Not a deal breaker for me as it is not the actual medical school). The student stated that classes offered will prepare you for medical school but "some of the classes asked unimportant questions" (direct quote). "Classes require a lot of work" (no surprises there).

To answer your question based on the above student's experience; they obviously did not meet the requirement for the the guaranteed admission therefore did not interview the first semester before they left.

The take home message is; make sure you have the requirements for the guaranteed admission prior to the program besides the 3.4 GPA at the end of the program which shouldn't be hard to pull if you work for it.

The gripe with the coursework does not make much sense. I’m not sure what the student was expecting with a masters in biology in a separate university. It is more the rigor of the program that prepares you to study medicine, than it is the content of the courses.

The competition among students also doesn’t make sense. I could see competition among students who were not conditionally accepted already. Those who just need the 3.4 are no longer competing for a seat at WVSOM. Otherwise, it sounds like pre-meds being pre-meds.

Does anyone know anything about the actual interview? I feel like I saw a student who posted that they interviewed over the phone rather than in person.

Does anyone know anything about the actual interview? I feel like I saw a student who posted that they interviewed over the phone rather than in person.

Interview is in person at WVSOM, usually 3 faculty to 1, medical school style interview (since it's for the guaranteed admissions), and then you tour the school. It's pretty much like a medical school interview. This happens in the summer before the program.