Women's Interview Clothing (thread #2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
time for a bump :D

I've heard some people say (e.g. in the article on the main SDN page right now) that 1.5 inches should be max for a heel. I just bought these heels which are (gasp) 3 inches. I'm definitely more than capable of walking in them. I went for the higher heel because (A) I am vertically challenged and (B) I have huge feet that look like flippers in a low heel. Are these shoes appropriate with a skirt suit (hits mid-knee; I bought the regular length even though I'm petite)?

Cute! As long as you're absolutely sure you can make it through the day with minimal discomfort, I think they'll be fine. I wore 2 inch heels with a skirt suit, more so because I liked the way they looked than for the height boost (I'm tall :p). I saw quite a few girls at a 40+ person interview wearing heels taller than mine. I can't attest to how comfortable they were at the end of a 6-7 hour interview day and tour though.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard some people say (e.g. in the article on the main SDN page right now) that 1.5 inches should be max for a heel. I just bought these heels which are (gasp) 3 inches. I'm definitely more than capable of walking in them. I went for the higher heel because (A) I am vertically challenged and (B) I have huge feet that look like flippers in a low heel. Are these shoes appropriate with a skirt suit (hits mid-knee; I bought the regular length even though I'm petite)?

Those were the ones I was looking at buying too! I figured the Cole Haan sole would be comfier than most other heels. I didn't know they had them in regular leather (not suede) though! Thanks for posting that and letting me know :)

Those were the ones I was looking at buying too! I figured the Cole Haan sole would be comfier than most other heels. I didn't know they had them in regular leather (not suede) though! Thanks for posting that and letting me know :)

Buy them, definitely! They are as close as you can get to wearing sneakers while actually wearing a heel. The rubber treads on the bottom are great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to find something to put on the bottom of my heels so I don't slip and slide around the shiny hospital floors (like last year; I was SO close to wiping out). If I find something I'll let you all know.

I need to find something to put on the bottom of my heels so I don't slip and slide around the shiny hospital floors (like last year; I was SO close to wiping out). If I find something I'll let you all know.

You should be able to find peel and stick things for the bottom of the shoes. If not at a shoe store (even payless), then probably a drug store or a place like Walmart or Target. Like these. http://www.amazon.com/Non-Slip-High-Shoes-Boots-Sandals/dp/B0013QZ2AS

Hey ladies!
So I am thinking of wearing a black suit top with a gray skirt but not sure what color of blouse to wear...any ideas??

Hey ladies!
So I am thinking of wearing a black suit top with a gray skirt but not sure what color of blouse to wear...any ideas??

:eek: ok that smiley might be a bit over-dramatic but I'd really match my skirt and blazer if I were you. Otherwise you'll end up looking like you got dressed in the dark. I'd also imagine that the lighter color on bottom would make your ba-donka-donk look a tad larger than it is...

Hey ladies!

I'd agree with rhesuspieces (cute name!) on this one: if you want to be less drone-like with your clothing, you'd do it by having a more interesting/unique blouse and not by mismatching your suit, which is supposed to be a matching set.

Now, question for everyone: I have a suit that I absolutely love and feel super comfortable in. I'm still looking for the perfect blouse but I'm having a hard time with the shoes. I hate having achy feet (and I know most schools will walk you around in a one hour tour or something) so I don't want to be That Girl Who's Grimacing Because Her Feet Hurt. I got maryjane "pumps" from Dansko--a company known for it's super comfy, ergonomic shoes...but not exactly for it's awesome style (http://www.dansko.com/Womens/Footwear/Styles/Heels/Becca/Brown Nappa). What do you guys think? Should I keep them for the comfort factor (and they are SUPER COMFY!)? Or does it make me look like I really want to go into orthopedics?

I'd agree with rhesuspieces (cute name!) on this one: if you want to be less drone-like with your clothing, you'd do it by having a more interesting/unique blouse and not by mismatching your suit, which is supposed to be a matching set.

Now, question for everyone: I have a suit that I absolutely love and feel super comfortable in. I'm still looking for the perfect blouse but I'm having a hard time with the shoes. I hate having achy feet (and I know most schools will walk you around in a one hour tour or something) so I don't want to be That Girl Who's Grimacing Because Her Feet Hurt. I got maryjane "pumps" from Dansko--a company known for it's super comfy, ergonomic shoes...but not exactly for it's awesome style (http://www.dansko.com/Womens/Footwear/Styles/Heels/Becca/Brown Nappa). What do you guys think? Should I keep them for the comfort factor (and they are SUPER COMFY!)? Or does it make me look like I really want to go into orthopedics?

You'll look way more stupid stumbling around in shoes that you're not comfortable in. Then again, you could always bring a pair of flats along for the tour. But I actually think those Dansko shoes are pretty cute!

^
i have these but in the 2 inch version and wore them with a suit skirt. they are super cute, but kind of narrow in the front. or maybe the padding is such that there isn't enough depth in the front. :(

^
i have these but in the 2 inch version and wore them with a suit skirt. they are super cute, but kind of narrow in the front. or maybe the padding is such that there isn't enough depth in the front. :(

agreed. because the shoes are so, so very simple and classic, i don't think the extra height will matter as long as you can walk fairly long distances and be comfortable in them! if you were pushing four inches, though...that would be another matter!

(this is the only non-MCAT/non-school-specific-apps forum I've posted on in SDN...kinda fun to post about something OTHER than stats and emails and numbers :laugh:)

I just discovered this thread and, after spending the whole weekend finding the perfect black suit (i like black suits!) that is comfortable, looks great, and fits me, I'm quite sad to find that, apparently, this'll make me look boring to the adcoms (obviously, what really matters is my application but looking good can't hurt, right?).

what would be the best thing to do to make myself look less funeral-ish? i'm thinking that a brightly colored blouse might do the trick?

and, also, what's the protocol for taking off your jacket? does one only do so when asked? is it a no-no if you don't have a long-sleeved blouse on?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just discovered this thread and, after spending the whole weekend finding the perfect black suit (i like black suits!) that is comfortable, looks great, and fits me, I'm quite sad to find that, apparently, this'll make me look boring to the adcoms (obviously, what really matters is my application but looking good can't hurt, right?).

what would be the best thing to do to make myself look less funeral-ish? i'm thinking that a brightly colored blouse might do the trick?

and, also, what's the protocol for taking off your jacket? does one only do so when asked? is it a no-no if you don't have a long-sleeved blouse on?

A brightly colored blouse is a good way to spice up a black suit. You can take your jacket off during the tour and during lunch as long as your blouse is appropriate. I'd wear something with short or long sleeves if you want to take the jacket off.

Where would I be without SDN? Thanks for your help ladies and saving me from making a fool out of myself

Psh. I just read that article and was displeased with the advice for women's attire. Long-sleeve collared shirt in a light, neutral-ish color necessary? No. :p I wore 3-inch heels and they looked perfectly appropriate with a skirt suit. I say if you can rock the heels and look professional, do it.

Chickpea, I'd go with a brightly colored shirt. Mine is a silk shell, not a button down. I will have to keep my jacket on during lunch and whatnot but that's okay with me.

I have been meaning to ask, I know guys have rules about how many buttons you're actually supposed to button on your jacket, and that you should unbutton when you're sitting down or something, too? Anyone know WTF I'm talking about, and if those rules apply to us ladies as well?

Chickpea, I'd go with a brightly colored shirt. Mine is a silk shell, not a button down. I will have to keep my jacket on during lunch and whatnot but that's okay with me.

I have been meaning to ask, I know guys have rules about how many buttons you're actually supposed to button on your jacket, and that you should unbutton when you're sitting down or something, too? Anyone know WTF I'm talking about, and if those rules apply to us ladies as well?

I do know what you are talking about. It's supposed to be all (or at least two) buttoned when standing/walking and unbuttoned when sitting down (i think).

I don't feel like that applies as strictly to ladies mostly because our suits are cut differently...and our bodies are too. I have very large breasts and if I button my jacket it really emphasizes that...which I don't like to do so I just keep my jacket unbuttoned all the time. During your interview you are sitting anyway so I don't feel like it is hugely terrible to tour around the grounds with your jacket unbuttoned.

Psh. I just read that article and was displeased with the advice for women's attire. Long-sleeve collared shirt in a light, neutral-ish color necessary? No. :p I wore 3-inch heels and they looked perfectly appropriate with a skirt suit. I say if you can rock the heels and look professional, do it.

I agree. 1.5 inch heels? Most shoes with that kind heel immediately think of my 80-year-old grandma. Plus I'm petite and definitely feel more comfortable if I'm wearing heels that bring me a little closer to everyone else's height.

You're supposed to unbutton the last button when you sit down. However, I thought that only applies to guys. I really have no idea. My suit jacket only had one button, so I had no choice haha.

wear a nice top in a color that really flatters you. i probably wouldn't take the jacket off. :)

agreed. because the shoes are so, so very simple and classic, i don't think the extra height will matter as long as you can walk fairly long distances and be comfortable in them! if you were pushing four inches, though...that would be another matter!

(this is the only non-MCAT/non-school-specific-apps forum I've posted on in SDN...kinda fun to post about something OTHER than stats and emails and numbers :laugh:)

I had an interview today and there was one girl who made me wonder if her ideas of professionally appropriate were scrambled. She wore a black skirt suit, but the skirt was clearly a mini skirt with a slit and her heels were pushing FIVE inches and peep toe! Something like this but not patent leather: http://www.lulus.com/products/mixx-luisa-02-black-patent-peep-toe-platform-high-heel/22758.html

I was shocked. I've never seen someone dress like this to an interview before:scared:. She was a nice girl but her attire makes me question a few things, lol. Oh and she did trip and almost fell down a flight of stairs.

Last edited:
I had an interview today and there was one girl who made me wonder if her ideas of professionally appropriate were scrambled. She wore a black skirt suit, but the skirt was clearly a mini skirt with a slit and her heels were pushing FIVE inches and peep toe! Something like this but not patent leather: http://www.lulus.com/products/mixx-luisa-02-black-patent-peep-toe-platform-high-heel/22758.html

I was shocked. I've never seen someone dress like this to an interview before:scared:. She was a nice girl and doing genetic research to boot, but her attire makes me question a few things, lol. Oh and she did trip and almost fell down a flight of stairs during the tour.

I know who you are talking about.... lol

I'm wondering if I should delete that post lol. I don't want to make anyone feel bad in case they peruse SDN as well. I was just taken aback.

eh. leave it up. if she saw it, it'd be for her own good. it's not like you're trying to be malicious. At the end of the day, inappropriate is inappropriate is inappropriate, whether you liked the clothes and thought she looked awesome or thought she looked horrible.

So what's the general consensus on wearing ankle boots under a pant suit? I know that people have mentioned on here that they have worn them in the past, especially on the East coast during colder seasons, but I'm not sure if they're appropriate year round.

I had a nice pair of more typical black heels but they stretched out so they slip off when I walk, and they weren't the most comfortable shoes. I was looking for a more comfortable pair of shoes, and when I came across these ankle boots. They're really very comfortable, and I know that people have worn something similar, however I'm wondering if these are formal enough, and if they're appropriate year round.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/brandsforshoes/a2byaerosoles/PRD~642466/A2+by+Aerosoles+Jelly+Role+Bootie+Shoes.jsp

So what's the general consensus on wearing ankle boots under a pant suit? I know that people have mentioned on here that they have worn them in the past, especially on the East coast during colder seasons, but I'm not sure if they're appropriate year round.

I had a nice pair of more typical black heels but they stretched out so they slip off when I walk, and they weren't the most comfortable shoes. I was looking for a more comfortable pair of shoes, and when I came across these ankle boots. They're really very comfortable, and I know that people have worn something similar, however I'm wondering if these are formal enough, and if they're appropriate year round.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/brandsforshoes/a2byaerosoles/PRD~642466/A2+by+Aerosoles+Jelly+Role+Bootie+Shoes.jsp

Those shoes are cute!!! :) I don't see why they wouldn't be appropriate, they look very nice. Besides, your pants would cover the tops of them anyways.

I hate having achy feet (and I know most schools will walk you around in a one hour tour or something) so I don't want to be That Girl Who's Grimacing Because Her Feet Hurt. I got maryjane "pumps" from Dansko--a company known for it's super comfy, ergonomic shoes...but not exactly for it's awesome style (http://www.dansko.com/Womens/Footwear/Styles/Heels/Becca/Brown Nappa). What do you guys think? Should I keep them for the comfort factor (and they are SUPER COMFY!)? Or does it make me look like I really want to go into orthopedics?

I agree, I think that those shoes are actually really cute! My friend recently recommended Dansko shoes to me, and I've never owned a pair before, so now I'm interested.

Have you worn these shoes around for a day, or did you just order them, and you're asking if you should keep them??

I'm in the same boat as you -- I would be really distracted if my feet were hurting all day, but I also want to look nice.

Hey all!

I'm wondering what to do with my very curly hair? Think Leona Lewis (when her hair is actually curly) or Melina Kanakaredes. It's shoulder length and looks fine straightened, but in my opinion better curly. I was thinking pull the front back?

Oh, and here's my contribution to the shoe debate.

http://www.payless.com/store/produc...lotId=063692&category=&catdisplayName=Womens+

They're $20, low, black, and I won't be sad to get them wet/dirty because they're a) TWENTY DOLLARS, b) not leather or suede, and c) totally wipeable. Score.

I agree, I think that those shoes are actually really cute! My friend recently recommended Dansko shoes to me, and I've never owned a pair before, so now I'm interested.

Have you worn these shoes around for a day, or did you just order them, and you're asking if you should keep them??

I'm in the same boat as you -- I would be really distracted if my feet were hurting all day, but I also want to look nice.

i just ordered them and haven't worn them around yet but i have to wear nicer clothes for work next week so i'll let you know how comfortable they are! tbh, though, it'd be kinda pointless for you to wait around for my answer: nearly everyone i've known who does a lot of walking around/standing and can afford $150 shoes has them, they're certified by the american podiatric association, and they feel comfy as all get-out. the only thing i'm potentially worried about is that the insole was kinda squeaky when i tried them on at home...so it's a good thing i get to give 'em a test run, lest I be The Squeaky Girl at the interviews :confused:

I do know what you are talking about. It's supposed to be all (or at least two) buttoned when standing/walking and unbuttoned when sitting down (i think).

I don't feel like that applies as strictly to ladies mostly because our suits are cut differently...and our bodies are too. I have very large breasts and if I button my jacket it really emphasizes that...which I don't like to do so I just keep my jacket unbuttoned all the time. During your interview you are sitting anyway so I don't feel like it is hugely terrible to tour around the grounds with your jacket unbuttoned.

You're supposed to unbutton the last button when you sit down. However, I thought that only applies to guys. I really have no idea. My suit jacket only had one button, so I had no choice haha.

Just quick input from the guys side:

The bottom button should *never* be buttoned on a man's suit. When standing, the other one(s) usually are, and when seated, all should be unbuttoned.

Women don't have any of those silly button etiquette rules, probably because they were formulated way back before there were suits for women. (I remember reading that some of the button stuff was because some king of england was too fat to button his bottom button. Yeah. That far back)

I'm wondering what to do with my very curly hair? Think Leona Lewis (when her hair is actually curly) or Melina Kanakaredes. It's shoulder length and looks fine straightened, but in my opinion better curly. I was thinking pull the front back?

pulling the front back is a good option! i have really curly hair, and when it was long, i'd just make sure i had a claw clip or plain black covered elastics around in case it decided to poof up. (well, or pens, but that was more of a mid-debate-meet look than an interview one :rolleyes:) it's so short now that i'm just going to put on a nice headband.

pulling the front back is a good option! i have really curly hair, and when it was long, i'd just make sure i had a claw clip or plain black covered elastics around in case it decided to poof up. (well, or pens, but that was more of a mid-debate-meet look than an interview one :rolleyes:) it's so short now that i'm just going to put on a nice headband.

Well I would actually rather wear a nice headband (I was thinking metal), but I have this awkward length in the front (trying to grow it out) that sticks up when I wear a headband. But maybe if I put the headband on while it's wet it'll lay down in that position? Who knows. :rolleyes:

i just ordered them and haven't worn them around yet but i have to wear nicer clothes for work next week so i'll let you know how comfortable they are! tbh, though, it'd be kinda pointless for you to wait around for my answer: nearly everyone i've known who does a lot of walking around/standing and can afford $150 shoes has them, they're certified by the american podiatric association, and they feel comfy as all get-out. the only thing i'm potentially worried about is that the insole was kinda squeaky when i tried them on at home...so it's a good thing i get to give 'em a test run, lest I be The Squeaky Girl at the interviews :confused:

Awesome, being certified by the APA sounds like enough of a good review to me! How do you think they fit? True to size? I'm going to scope out Zappo's and choose a pair. :)

Just quick input from the guys side:

The bottom button should *never* be buttoned on a man's suit. When standing, the other one(s) usually are, and when seated, all should be unbuttoned.

Women don't have any of those silly button etiquette rules, probably because they were formulated way back before there were suits for women. (I remember reading that some of the button stuff was because some king of england was too fat to button his bottom button. Yeah. That far back)

Oops...yeah, I got the buttons backwards! Thanks for the correction.

If a pant suit is being worn, is it alright to wear a higher heel as long as they are business appropriate and you can walk comfortably in them?

Also, are one button suit jackets appropriate if you can see some of the shirt in the middle by the waist?

As long as they are not like platform 5-inch heels, you can pretty much wear whatever is comfortable for you.

In regard to the suit jacket, I wore a one-button suit jacket to all my interviews last year, and it looked fine. Just make sure your shirt is tucked in nicely.

Last edited:
Awesome, being certified by the APA sounds like enough of a good review to me! How do you think they fit? True to size? I'm going to scope out Zappo's and choose a pair. :)

true to size! and they're especially great if you have slightly wide feet like i do. when you get them, you should have enough room in the back for your thumb so that your foot slips out slightly when you walk: that's how Dansko's are supposed to fit so don't freak out and exchange for a smaller size! :)

Hey girls, what do you think about a red suit? It's a darker red (think dried cranberries). I'd wear it with a black shirt, black sheer tights and matte black pumps. I really like it, and I hear lots of people saying to wear color, but I'm afraid red is pushing it. I also have a grey suit as backup (with a pink collared button down), but it's a pant-suit, which I don't like quite as much. I like being bold with fashion, but maybe the interview isn't the right time, haha. Any thoughts?

Hey everyone! Just wanted to get your opinion - I bought these pants in charcoal to go with a matching blazer:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=17132&vid=1&pid=762389&scid=762389002

They look great on me, but they are a bit tight around the bum - I mean my butt looks great but you can tell I have some junk in the trunk! I'm also worried that because they are straight-legged and more modern, I will look less professional. What do you girls think?

Hey girls, what do you think about a red suit? It's a darker red (think dried cranberries). I'd wear it with a black shirt, black sheer tights and matte black pumps. I really like it, and I hear lots of people saying to wear color, but I'm afraid red is pushing it. I also have a grey suit as backup (with a pink collared button down), but it's a pant-suit, which I don't like quite as much. I like being bold with fashion, but maybe the interview isn't the right time, haha. Any thoughts?

Personally, I would go with the grey, or try to find another skirt suit that I liked just as much as the red one. You might get there and feel out of place if everyone else is in neutrals. Just my opinion, but I would err on the conservative side just to be safe. I'm having trouble deciding on my pants (see above post) just because they are slim cut!

Hey everyone! Just wanted to get your opinion - I bought these pants in charcoal to go with a matching blazer:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=17132&vid=1&pid=762389&scid=762389002

They look great on me, but they are a bit tight around the bum - I mean my butt looks great but you can tell I have some junk in the trunk! I'm also worried that because they are straight-legged and more modern, I will look less professional. What do you girls think?

Hmm...I think it depends on how comfortable you are with showing off a little. I like tight fitted pants that are on the sexy side, but am going with suit pants that are definitely looser and not wrapped around every shape of my butt. I think I'll feel more professional and not worry about people checking me out! Also, if the pants are tight and the jacket is not as tight, you may look out of proportion. Something to consider. PS. My suit is Banana Republic, too! The material is sooo nice.

I wore the same pants to my interview and one of my interviewers commented on how great my suit looked, but she was a trendy looking woman herself. I was also accepted, so my other 2 interviewers must not have thought I looked unprofessional either. It's a fabulous suit, and I think the slimmer leg of the pants looks a lot more professional and tailored than some of the wide-legged suit pants that I've seen other girls wearing. It might depend a bit on your body type though!

I bought the same suit!! n i <3 it!!!
I bought both the black and the charcoal. To be honest I also tried on the martin fit but they are really high and really really flared... I thought the flare didn't look very professional and made me look heavier...
I love the logan fit because it elongates your legs and looks more professional.
They are fitted on me around my bum as well but the jacket goes over half way so I don't think it looks bad....

So I'm fairly confident that I won't be comfortable staying in my interview heels during tours, etc. Are there any rules/guidelines about what shoes I can wear to tours and lunches?

Status
Not open for further replies.