Women's Interview Clothing (thread #2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The looking young does worry me because I am 20, which definitely makes me one of the younger applicants. For this reason, I'm not sure a ponytail is the best idea...I'm not really basing this off anything, but I am under the impression that something braided generally looks slightly more mature... (That said, as a general rule, I do not think my longer hair has been an issue, considering the number of times that I've been mistaken for a grad student.)

I see braids and I think Little House on the Prairie. I agree that ponytails can look young, though. What about wearing your hair down and holding it off your face with a headband? I'm thinking this, not this.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone recommend stores where I can buy a nice skirt-suit? I've never owned one before - or at least, not the conservative, school interview type. Preferably under $500. Links/store names?

Thanks! :)

intelligence-predicted-by-ponytail-angle-24564-1294337991-6-490x410.jpg

OMG-haha I spit out my Dr Pepper when I saw that. Awesome. :thumbup:

That said, I will not hesitate to actually go to my salon and get my hair done for interview day. Really... if I can get the girl that does my hair to wake up that early, you bet!

And to the above poster, check out Ann Taylor. Their clothes is very professional and high quality. Love AT!

Bump!

Bought a dark brown skirt suit from banana republic during an awesome sale memorial weekend! 60 bucks a piece. Also got closed-toed black heels from aldo for 30 bucks. sales were too good!

What do people think about a cream colored silk cami, tucked into the skirt, for interviews? If it matters, the blazer is a one-button :)

I think the cream colored cami would be classy, I'm planning on wearing a neutral colored top as well. I was once told that when you go in for an interview you want to take the attention off what you are wearing so the interviewer can concentrate on you and what you are saying, therefore the less noticeable your clothing the better. But neutrals can also be dressed up so you can still feel "pretty" even though that probably won't matter to the interviewer :)

Just putting it out there, my go to place for suits/blouses is The Limited. I've found that their entire store is really geared towards someone looking for a suit, they have an incredible variety of colors, textures, and materials. Plus they have a BUNCH of tops that are designed to go under a suit. They have pretty good prices too, I think they are on average cheaper than banana republic and personally I think they are more comfortable and geared towards the younger crowd but still looking professional.

http://www.thelimited.com/category/apparel/suits

I think the cream colored cami would be classy, I'm planning on wearing a neutral colored top as well. I was once told that when you go in for an interview you want to take the attention off what you are wearing so the interviewer can concentrate on you and what you are saying, therefore the less noticeable your clothing the better. But neutrals can also be dressed up so you can still feel "pretty" even though that probably won't matter to the interviewer :)

Just putting it out there, my go to place for suits/blouses is The Limited. I've found that their entire store is really geared towards someone looking for a suit, they have an incredible variety of colors, textures, and materials. Plus they have a BUNCH of tops that are designed to go under a suit. They have pretty good prices too, I think they are on average cheaper than banana republic and personally I think they are more comfortable and geared towards the younger crowd but still looking professional.

http://www.thelimited.com/category/apparel/suits

I was going to buy a suit from the limited but then my brother was like it didn't look as good or classy as some of the ones we saw at Macy's so i got my suit from Macy's.

I also stuck with a neutral color top. I just wore a white long sleeved collared top. Typical business style button down shirt under my suit. My suit was pinstriped too and black in color.

hello!

should u bring a tote or a clutch to the interview?

Hello :hello:!

I brought a tote to my first interview so I could fit a padfolio in it. I think it also looked more professional in my opinion. But honestly, it was annoying to carry around all day (this interview lasted 9 hours!) and I really didn't need it.

So for my second interview, I just brought the padfolio. Most schools will give you a folder (but only one gave me a pen), but I felt weird not having anything. I was able to fit the car key, ID, etc in the padfolio. They'll provide you with water and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.