Women's Interview Clothing (thread #2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a beautiful suit that I bought last year (I'm a reapplicant), until my fiance washed and dried it. :whoa:

At the time I justified spending a lot of money on it by telling myself there would be lots of occasions to wear it in the future. Now I'm thinking about buying the exact same suit again, but I'm starting to wonder if it's crazy to spend that kind of money ($350). How much did you guys spend? What do you consider a reasonable price for a quality suit that makes you look and feel your best?

For the suit jacket, matching pants, and a shell top, my total was around $190 (from Macy's). Since I don't tend to spend a lot of money on clothes and have never bought a suit in my life, I thought this was pretty pricey.

The first suit I tried on was more like $300 (only jacket and pants). I liked it and almost bought it, but decided to try on one more suit (the one I have now). I ended up liking it a lot better and it happened to be waaay cheaper :). I looks and feels like good quality to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/product.jsp?productId=357021&productGroup=356997

Girls, these are the shoes I am wearing. Do you think I should get those rubber soles at the bottom to avoid the clunking sound??

Thanks!

I have those in the smooth black leather (available only on Zappos). They're pretty good shoes. I wasn't too worried about the click of the soles, but I have definitely slipped while wearing leather-soled shoes to interviews before, and don't want to do that again :laugh:

I have those in the smooth black leather (available only on Zappos). They're pretty good shoes. I wasn't too worried about the click of the soles, but I have definitely slipped while wearing leather-soled shoes to interviews before, and don't want to do that again :laugh:

Thanks for your reply! I have them in patent black leather too (if thats what you are talking about). And they have rubber grip at the bottom, but even then are they slippery??

I had a beautiful suit that I bought last year (I'm a reapplicant), until my fiance washed and dried it. :whoa:

At the time I justified spending a lot of money on it by telling myself there would be lots of occasions to wear it in the future. Now I'm thinking about buying the exact same suit again, but I'm starting to wonder if it's crazy to spend that kind of money ($350). How much did you guys spend? What do you consider a reasonable price for a quality suit that makes you look and feel your best?

I spent just $100 on a Tahari suit at Filene's Basement that I am absolutely in love with. This and Marshalls/TJ Maxx can be hit or miss, but definitely worth a look.

Thanks for your reply! I have them in patent black leather too (if thats what you are talking about). And they have rubber grip at the bottom, but even then are they slippery??

No, I have regular leather, not patent. I haven't experienced any problems with them being slippery, but I haven't walked on icy roads or anything with them yet :shrug:

I have my first interview on Friday and just had a few questions.
I bought a grey colored (pant) suit and wasn't sure if a plum colored cami would be appropriate? It isn't too low cut and no cleavage is showing :) I just wanted to make sure camis would be OK for an interview?
And do you often see girls bringing purses and is there anything I need to bring along with me to the interview? ex: pen paper?
Thanks
I have a purse very similar to this, but mine is just plain black (not shiny) with small, silver puma logo. Would this be ok to bring to interview?
http://www.shoebuy.com/puma-pure-handbag/323812/696487

Last edited:
I have what may be a slightly strange question...

Do any of the females on this forum have any advice for long hair styles appropriate for med school interviews?

I have rather long, relatively straight, hair and I'm not sure what to do with it for interviews (I have my first one in about two weeks). In the past, when I've had to wear business attire, I've just worn my hair down or in a braid. Should this be OK? I am slightly worried about my hair seeming too un-business like or hippie or something...

Do any of the females on this forum have any advice for long hair styles appropriate for med school interviews?

I have rather long, relatively straight, hair and I'm not sure what to do with it for interviews (I have my first one in about two weeks). In the past, when I've had to wear business attire, I've just worn my hair down or in a braid. Should this be OK? I am slightly worried about my hair seeming too un-business like or hippie or something...

In before the first silly photo gets posted...

Sorry, this one will be hard for some to resist. See clothing forums for examples.

My hair was quite long when I went to interviews. I just wore a ponytail o_O

Salma-Hayek%E2%80%99s-sleek-low-ponytail-hairstyle.jpg

I have mid-back length straight hair. I wore it in a low ponytail with a side part. I thought it looked attractive and professional. :) This is me^. Or Salma Hayek.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have long, straight hair also. I usually just curl the ends and wear a thin headband.

like a sdn broken record, wear it with however you're comfortable.

but... if you wear it down, keep your hands away from your hair and keep it out of your eyes/face! it's too distracting when you are talking to someone and s/he keeps swiping her face.

other things to consider, since you do want to look your best/nicely groomed...
what's the weather like? rainy? could look like a wet-dog. humid? could look more specifically like a poodle? etc etc

if you're unsure, compromise how you usually do and wear it half-up/half-down.

I have fairly long hair (mid-calf) and wore it up in a bun fully contained. Too much of a freakshow otherwise. :smuggrin:

I have fairly long hair (mid-calf) and wore it up in a bun fully contained. Too much of a freakshow otherwise. :smuggrin:

:eek:
Are you fo serious?? Wow, kuddos to you. I can't stand not getting a haircut every two and a half weeks or so

If "fairly long" is mid-calf, I'm really interested to know what your definition of "long" is.
A Chinese woman named Dai Yueqin has over 4 meters of hair. That's what I call long. :)
:eek:
Are you fo serious?? Wow, kuddos to you. I can't stand not getting a haircut every two and a half weeks or so
Eh, I'm really just lazy and can't be bothered. I spend way less time on my hair than both of my sisters who have chin/shoulder length hair. It's a lot cheaper, too. :thumbup:

But back to the OP's question, I think anything up to waist-length would be fine in a ponytail or braid. Longer than that can tend to garner more attention than you probably want focused on your personal appearance. I would still recommend wearing it like you might wear it when doing the job of a doctor. If you wouldn't wear it down while seeing patients, don't wear it down to the interview. You don't want the interviewers to be thinking "WTH is s/he going to do with all that hair in a clinical setting?"

Also, I think it goes without saying that everyone (regardless of short/long hair) should ensure that their hair is not hanging in their face and to avoid playing/fiddling with it on interview day.

Honestly, I don't think it matters. I have long, pretty wild curly hair but I wore it down, like I do every day, and I have 4 acceptances out of 7 interviews (1 waitlist, 2 haven't heard from yet, and I'm pretty sure it's not because of my hair)

Just do what makes you most comfortable!

Wear it off your face.

Do not play with it.

A style you'd wear as a first year student on a day when you were going to be seeing patients in an outpatient setting (learning History and physical exam skills, for example) would be appropriate.

I like the low pontytail. It makes people look intelligent for some reason (though I'm sure you already are!). Like karafox said, a small headband could keep the front out of your face, if you have bangs. You could also use a large clip/barrette instead of a ponytail holder, especially just a plain black oval or something.

Good luck on your interviews!

what about loose waves?? like victoria sectret models hair style?

would that be unprofessional?

what about loose waves?? like victoria sectret models hair style?

would that be unprofessional?

I know what you're talking about, and that's how I wear my hair on dates. Part of the allure is it falling gently around your face and you sweeping it away. It also has a lot of body and distracts from your FACE because it's all about the hair. No, not professional. (IMO)

3 interviews and 3 acceptances. this is me.
hurr-durr-derp-face-i-whip-my-hurr-backn-furth.jpg

Last edited:

I rode the trolley with this girl in college who wore her hair in the Theoretical Zero Point style every single day. I saw her at school, football games, and parties, and I never saw her hair any other way.

/cool story bro

So that I may appear at least somewhat useful, I'll answer the question.

I hated wearing my hair up to interviews because I felt it was too masculine with my pantsuit. So I always wore mine down and straight/curled under with a side part, and I pinned my bangs back to the side with a bobby pin to keep them out of my face.

TBH, I don't think my comment about the loose waves is that unprofessional, Im not talking about full blown waves like on the runway show, but more like whimsical little waves in the end for a layered hair. My hair is like that and I usually wear it loose, but tamed or sometimes I pull it into a bun like my avatar. but its more like a loose bun I guess. I like the way it fall on the side of my face...

I rode the trolley with this girl in college who wore her hair in the Theoretical Zero Point style every single day. I saw her at school, football games, and parties, and I never saw her hair any other way.

/cool story bro

Did said girl land dates with guys at said events? If so, the theoretical zero point may need to be redefined...

For my first few med school interviews, my hair was down to my mid-back. I wore it half up or in a low ponytail.

That being said, I just had my hair cut and it's shoulder length now. I should have done that long before. Now I just blow dry and straighten it. I definitely think short/medium hair is a good idea for interview season, especially if you look young/are on the younger side of applicants. I'm only 21, and with long hair I looked 16. Wasn't doing me any favors...most med schools aren't looking for a female Doogie Howser.

Did said girl land dates with guys at said events? If so, the theoretical zero point may need to be redefined...

the theoretical zero point is about smurts, not ability to land dates. i dunno if the two necessarily follow the same graph...

also that picture made me LOL for reals.

For my first few med school interviews, my hair was down to my mid-back. I wore it half up or in a low ponytail.

That being said, I just had my hair cut and it's shoulder length now. I should have done that long before. Now I just blow dry and straighten it. I definitely think short/medium hair is a good idea for interview season, especially if you look young/are on the younger side of applicants. I'm only 21, and with long hair I looked 16. Wasn't doing me any favors...most med schools aren't looking for a female Doogie Howser.

The looking young does worry me because I am 20, which definitely makes me one of the younger applicants. For this reason, I'm not sure a ponytail is the best idea...I'm not really basing this off anything, but I am under the impression that something braided generally looks slightly more mature... (That said, as a general rule, I do not think my longer hair has been an issue, considering the number of times that I've been mistaken for a grad student.)

the theoretical zero point is about smurts, not ability to land dates. i dunno if the two necessarily follow the same graph...

also that picture made me LOL for reals.

amount of smurts and the ability to land dates have often been shown to have an inverse relationship.

After considering my options, I've decided that if I ever do get to interview, I'm going to a salon in the AM to get my hair put into a presentable french twist. Sure it's an old-person style, but I'll be an old person by then anyway, and I won't trust myself to not mess it up LOL

/cool story bro

i love when people can identify their own cool stories

at my interview in december I straightened my hair and then wore it in a pony tail. There were a lot of girl interviewees that day and they had long hair and wore it loose and down.

I'd either put it in a pony tail or wear it down. But that's me. Its not hippy to wear it down. Even some years ago when I'd see the interviewees at USF and last year when I'd see the interviewees at BUSM, a good high percent of them just wore it down. Just as long as its neat. If u are going to put it up u can just put it in a pony tail. Not necessary to do too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.