Women's Interview Clothing (thread #2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a cream jacket w/ black pinstripes, paired with a black skirt, black pantyhose, black kitten heels & solid colored blouse (maybe a teal or a purple or dark red) be okay?

I really want to avoid wearing a black suit - it's too funeral-esque and boring for my tastes. I don't want to look like an FBI agent!

But I'm also dead set on wearing a skirt suit (I feel way more comfortable in a skirt), and the options available to me at prices I can afford are very limited.

I want to stand out from the crowd, but in a good way. :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I bought a suit from express, and I have a few of their standard button-up shirts. My question - you know how the express dress shirts don't have buttons the whole way up to the collar? (see example) Do you think this shirt is inappropriate for an interview? Should I go look for a standard button-up?

thanks!

I had the same question. Express shirts fit me better than most other places', but the low cut seems problematic. I'm not very curvy, but I think I'm going to play it safe and either use a small safety pin to keep the top from opening up or wear a different shirt.

BTW, does it matter what length the suit jacket/blazer is? The jacket I'm planning on wearing hits slightly below the hips. It's a good 3 inches longer than most blazers I've seen, but I liked this look better on me as a tall, straight-silhouette gal.

Would a cream jacket w/ black pinstripes, paired with a black skirt, black pantyhose, black kitten heels & solid colored blouse (maybe a teal or a purple or dark red) be okay?

I really want to avoid wearing a black suit - it's too funeral-esque and boring for my tastes. I don't want to look like an FBI agent!

But I'm also dead set on wearing a skirt suit (I feel way more comfortable in a skirt), and the options available to me at prices I can afford are very limited.

I want to stand out from the crowd, but in a good way. :) Thanks!

You sound like me last year. I refuse to even try on a black suit. What you described sounds like it would work.

I had the same question. Express shirts fit me better than most other places', but the low cut seems problematic. I'm not very curvy, but I think I'm going to play it safe and either use a small safety pin to keep the top from opening up or wear a different shirt.

BTW, does it matter what length the suit jacket/blazer is? The jacket I'm planning on wearing hits slightly below the hips. It's a good 3 inches longer than most blazers I've seen, but I liked this look better on me as a tall, straight-silhouette gal.

As long as it looks professional, you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those of us who see several "funeral processions" (applicants on a walking tour) each week would like nothing better than to see applicants in something other than black suits. It has been something of a joke for more than 10 years because it is so common.

Do keep in mind the geographic locations of your interviews & that many interviews will take place in October through February (cold & even snowy in some places).

So can anyone tell us whether there are geographical differences in appropriate attire. For example, should I wear the same type of suit to an interview at (for example) UC San Diego, as I would to (again, for example) Harvard or Columbia.

I am from Cali, and when I travelled to the east for recruit trips for my undergrad college selection, I always felt like I looked like a beach bum even when I was really trying to be very conservative. I don't want to look like a fool on either coast.

hi everyone!

i had a quick question about shoes. I've been wearing the following pair:

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/adrienne+vittadini+motion+pump?prodId=206799&brand=dsw10brand700016

(the ones in white) for about a year while on mock trial at my university. They're really comfortable and my favorite shoe BUT I'm really unsure if they are appropriate for medical school interviews : ( I've spent a lot of money so far and if I could save some on shoes, it would be helpful. At the same time, I don't want to look ridiculous at my interview! my first one is in 1 week - ahhhhhh

thanks for any and all help!!

I apologize if this has been brought up before, first time visiting this LOOOONG thread :).

Everyone has been talking about what to wear in cold weather (just by looking at the latest posts), what do you all recommend for attending interviews in hot weather? I have an interview at UC Davis in late Sept, and it gets HOT there (the average high is 89 degrees in Sept).

I plan to get a pant suit (hoping to find something other than black), but any advice so that I'm not sweating profusely during the interview/tour?

thank you for your opinions LizzyM and Dianyla! I think for the time being I will keep those shoes while staying on the lookout for some others.

thanks again for your help!

Those of us who see several "funeral processions" (applicants on a walking tour) each week would like nothing better than to see applicants in something other than black suits. It has been something of a joke for more than 10 years because it is so common.

Do keep in mind the geographic locations of your interviews & that many interviews will take place in October through February (cold & even snowy in some places).

Would a color like sage green or a deep purple be acceptable? Or are these too "flashy"/"different"?

I disagree. They aren't all white. the black toe cap and heel makes it OK, IMHO, after Labor Day and I'm a stickler for those fashion rules.

Wait, people really don't wear white after labor day? Is that like an East Coast/South thing? I am from the west so we wear white all the time.
I apologize if this has been brought up before, first time visiting this LOOOONG thread :).

Everyone has been talking about what to wear in cold weather (just by looking at the latest posts), what do you all recommend for attending interviews in hot weather? I have an interview at UC Davis in late Sept, and it gets HOT there (the average high is 89 degrees in Sept).

I plan to get a pant suit (hoping to find something other than black), but any advice so that I'm not sweating profusely during the interview/tour?

Okay, so I was having the same issue. I have a navy suit, but I couldn't take myself seriously in it especially for an interview at U of A in September. This weekend I went shopping and found a gray suit at nordstroms, I figured this is less intense for the west coast/Arizona. Here is an example of the suit I bought... Anyone with more experience can you weigh in? http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3097958?origin=category&resultback=530

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you guys give me some picture examples of handbags girls usually carry to interviews that you've seen? I really want to look professional, but definitely simple and not flashy. Also I'm sort of concerned about size of the bag because I'm bringing a padfolio. Should I get a bag big enough to fit the padfolio (9 by 12) or just carry the padfolio outside and have a small-ish handbag? Thanks!!

Okay, so I was having the same issue. I have a navy suit, but I couldn't take myself seriously in it especially for an interview at U of A in September. This weekend I went shopping and found a gray suit at nordstroms, I figured this is less intense for the west coast/Arizona. Here is an example of the suit I bought... Anyone with more experience can you weigh in? http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3097958?origin=category&resultback=530

Oooh I like the color and pinstripes :). Yeah, I don't want to do the navy suit either. I'm thinking either gray or brown for me, let's see what I can find.

Can you guys give me some picture examples of handbags girls usually carry to interviews that you've seen? I really want to look professional, but definitely simple and not flashy. Also I'm sort of concerned about size of the bag because I'm bringing a padfolio. Should I get a bag big enough to fit the padfolio (9 by 12) or just carry the padfolio outside and have a small-ish handbag? Thanks!!

Good question, I'd like to know this too! Also, what exactly should we bring? They say to bring a portfolio, but what is it for exactly? Obviously we should have a pen and paper, but are we supposed to bring any materials (such as printed publications, etc)?

So anyone have any advice on how to dress for interviews in hot weather?

I went to a catholic hs, and their rule was that the skirt could be no shorter than 4" above the crease in the back of your knee. So my feeling would be if the nuns don't think that's sinful then you should be okay for an interview.
LOL! :) good point:thumbup:

Yay! Would I be able to go with a pair of sage or purple heels as well, or is this pushing it?

That would be stylish but maybe a little too matchy matchy.... I was just discussing shoes with my daughter who is closer (I presume) to your age and we were noting that beige shoes (close to skin tone) are very fashionable right now because it "lengthens the leg". She was telling me that one store has three different colors to go with different skin tones (and I made a joke at my expense about no white shoes after Labor Day but beige, bone and other "skin tones" are not really white.)

With regards to bags: Most schools will give you a folder with material in it and some will even give you a pen. If you like to have a portfolio to carry anything you'd like to add to your file (e.g. a copy of an newly accepted abstract or paper) then go for it but it isn't necessary. Some people like a huge shoulder bag that will hold a portfolio, electronics, etc, etc. Some have little tiny purses that wouldn't even fit a paperback book but are enough for lipstick, pen, cell phone and some cash/cards. Last year someone came in and deposited one of those (it had little metal buttons on the bottom so it stood up nicely) on my desk. I was a bit surprised but it was so cute that I didn't mind.

One more thing: You can generally store luggage, outerwear, boots, etc in the med admissions office during the interview day so you don't need to be carting that around with you. If you want to wear heels and switch to flats for the tour, that is very do-able, too.

Browsing online I find very very few skirt suits where the skirt covers the knees while standing. I don't want to show thigh while sitting, personal preference. But all these pencil skirts end right above the knee. Where on earth do I look?

On top of that, I refuse to wear black. I look so gross in black around my face. So, I need a skirt suit with a longer skirt (just to cover the knees standing), that isn't black or such a dark blue/gray that is might as well be black.

Help!

Browsing online I find very very few skirt suits where the skirt covers the knees while standing. I don't want to show thigh while sitting, personal preference. But all these pencil skirts end right above the knee. Where on earth do I look?

On top of that, I refuse to wear black. I look so gross in black around my face. So, I need a skirt suit with a longer skirt (just to cover the knees standing), that isn't black or such a dark blue/gray that is might as well be black.

Help!

I had the exact same problem! But I found a great grey suit at Macy's by Calvin Klein. http://www.macys.com/catalog/produc...inkshareID=neQRQBqOKtQ-CNuMr4TAzhI_0LC75J7icg It's this skirt, but it came to the bottom of the knee on me; the seam allowance was also such you could have it let down if necessary. Elder Beerman also has some longer skirt suits. Ann Taylor and The Limited had some pencil skirts that came to the bottom of the knee.

That would be stylish but maybe a little too matchy matchy.... I was just discussing shoes with my daughter who is closer (I presume) to your age and we were noting that beige shoes (close to skin tone) are very fashionable right now because it "lengthens the leg". She was telling me that one store has three different colors to go with different skin tones (and I made a joke at my expense about no white shoes after Labor Day but beige, bone and other "skin tones" are not really white.)

I was kind of thinking about this after I posted that. I found a great sage skirt suit and a pair of sage-ish shoes that would look great together. Very stylish and on most occasions I think they wouldn't be too matchy (ie, a dress and shoes) but may be a bit too much for something professional.

I personally love the camel color rather than black or white heels. Especially with the possibility of a great sage suit!! :D

I had the exact same problem! But I found a great grey suit at Macy's by Calvin Klein. http://www.macys.com/catalog/produc...inkshareID=neQRQBqOKtQ-CNuMr4TAzhI_0LC75J7icg It's this skirt, but it came to the bottom of the knee on me; the seam allowance was also such you could have it let down if necessary. Elder Beerman also has some longer skirt suits. Ann Taylor and The Limited had some pencil skirts that came to the bottom of the knee.

I have been eyeing that Calvin Klein suit since last season, when I started scoping things out. I love it, but I'm not sure if they'll have my size at the store. Blech.

Thanks! I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that whatever I get, it will need tailoring. I didn't realize the seam allowance would actually allow substantial length, that's great! Thanks a lot.

I do like the A-lines, are those as professional appearing as the pencil or straight cuts?

If you are going to spend >$400, buy a suit already. Unless you grow, you'll wear it again 4 years from now for residency interviews.

haha ok! i feel incredibly dowdy in suits so i've definitely been dragging my feet. thanks for the advice. :)

I have two suits, one charcoal gray and one dark beige/khaki brown that is this color:

http://www.thelimited.com/detail/lexie-plainweave-flare-pant/6622362

What color would be more appropriate for an interview in Arizona in October. I'm thinking I could probably get a way with the lighter suit in AZ in Fall than somewhere else in winter.

Either one would be fine. You can definitely get away with a lighter color in AZ in October.... Even though it's "fall", it's still like summer.

haha ok! i feel incredibly dowdy in suits so i've definitely been dragging my feet. thanks for the advice. :)

Shop around, even call a department store and ask for the help of a personal shopper who will pull things together for you and make the most of your time. Don't overlook the possibility that garments can be tailored particularly the length of sleeves and hemlines.

Don't buy the wrong size. Too big or too small can look terrible. If the number on the tag bothers you, snip it out with a pair of manicure scissors (after you purchase it, of course).

I can't imagine anywhere these days that is so conservative that a pantsuit would be considered inappropriate and if it is cut well you should not be the least bit "dowdy".

Keep in mind that formal wear and slutty attire are not mutually exclusive. With any luck, you might even be able to land yourself an "interview" on the backroom casting couch.

So any advice on what to do about interviews with hot weather? I'll be interviewing in Sacramento, which seems to have an average high of ~ 90 deg even in Sept. My interview is at the end of sept.

I'm shopping for my interview outfit this weekend, so I would really appreciate any advice!!

So any advice on what to do about interviews with hot weather? I'll be interviewing in Sacramento, which seems to have an average high of ~ 90 deg even in Sept. My interview is at the end of sept.

I'm shopping for my interview outfit this weekend, so I would really appreciate any advice!!

Was wondering this, too. I have an interview next Weds - forecast says 92 w/ high humidity. Advice on what to wear under my suit jacket that wouldn't look ridiculous if I took the jacket off during the tour? Is this generally acceptable (removing the jacket while outside on a hot day)? I mean, this app process is hard enough - they should at least save us a little bit of sanity! ;)

Also, wondering if anyone else has noticed that pretty much every women's suit bunches funny in the bust area - drives me craaaazy and I don't know that it's something that can be fixed by tailoring. I bought a suit from the Limited for job interviews last spring and I just can't even wear it for this because I can't get over the bunching (plus the pants shrunk up so now they even look short in flats - lame!).

Meh. Men have it so much easier when it comes to formal business attire.

Was wondering this, too. I have an interview next Weds - forecast says 92 w/ high humidity. Advice on what to wear under my suit jacket that wouldn't look ridiculous if I took the jacket off during the tour? Is this generally acceptable (removing the jacket while outside on a hot day)? I mean, this app process is hard enough - they should at least save us a little bit of sanity! ;)

Also, wondering if anyone else has noticed that pretty much every women's suit bunches funny in the bust area - drives me craaaazy and I don't know that it's something that can be fixed by tailoring. I bought a suit from the Limited for job interviews last spring and I just can't even wear it for this because I can't get over the bunching (plus the pants shrunk up so now they even look short in flats - lame!).

Try wearing a short sleeve blouse underneath your jacket instead of a dress shirt, and you'll still look appropriate when you take your jacket off. This is what I did for my interviews in AZ in 100 degrees weather. Plus, when it's really hot outside, your tour guide will most likely not want to be outside for long either.

The suit jacket should lay flat, actually all parts should look polished. A tailor could definitely fix this. I would call around to a few tailors and see if they could fix it in a few days, seeing that your interview is on Wednesday. Most tailors can work quickly, but there is usually a charge. As for the pants, your could ask if they could let them out at the cuff?

This is related to the whole "hot weather" topic you gals are discussing. I'm guessing a lot of female applicants who choose to wear skirt suits also wear pantyhose, but is it absolutely required? I have a skirt suit for my warm weather interviews (for example, Florida in 95 degree weather this Monday, fun). Would it be okay to just shave my legs and moisturize, and pedicure my toenails instead of wearing nylons? (My legs aren't gross or anything like that :D ). I just know I'm going to be roasting as it is (especially on the tour) so I'm hoping this is an acceptable way to stay a little cooler. What do you guys think?

Ok, so I'm preparing for my first interview.

I went out today and found a nice professional grey suit at Macy's. However, shoes are always hard for me to find. I'm in a wheelchair so I usually go with shoes that have good ankle support. I have a nice pair of black boots, but I'm not sure if they're appropriate or even if they match with a grey suit (I have no fashion sense). Any suggestions?

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=35356&vid=1&pid=769815&scid=769815002

I'm wearing this under my suit jacket. If it's too hot, would it be okay to take my jacket off wearing this shirt if it gets too hot during the tour or something? Or should I have something more conservative on if I plan on taking off my jacket? Thanks!

You should definitely look for something more "conservative" meaning at least short sleeve.

Ok, so I'm preparing for my first interview.

I went out today and found a nice professional grey suit at Macy's. However, shoes are always hard for me to find. I'm in a wheelchair so I usually go with shoes that have good ankle support. I have a nice pair of black boots, but I'm not sure if they're appropriate or even if they match with a grey suit (I have no fashion sense). Any suggestions?

Are you wearing pants or a skirt? I wore black shoes with my grey suit, and I think I looked fine.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=35356&vid=1&pid=769815&scid=769815002

I'm wearing this under my suit jacket. If it's too hot, would it be okay to take my jacket off wearing this shirt if it gets too hot during the tour or something? Or should I have something more conservative on if I plan on taking off my jacket? Thanks!

On a related note, I just got a really simple, crew-cut purple blouse (short sleeve) to wear under my gray suit. Would this be appropriate if I have to take off my jacket during the tour?

It's not like a cotton t-shirt, it looks more formal (silk and nylon). It looks almost like a sweater, but the material is much thinner. The purple is a darker lavender. Sorry it's hard to describe and I can't find it online.

Thanks, I just want to double-check. I hate wearing button-down blouses because they bunch up under the jacket and I look silly with a collar.

I feel like all the suits I find in stores look the same...and boring. I'm sure this is just a thing I need to get over...right?

I have a hair question. I often have my hair cut to my hairline. The length looks good on me, and I can pull it back into a little Jedi Padawan-like ponytail if I have to. The problem is, however, that that ponytail is not interview appropriate (It looks something like this, only a little less shaggy), and I have a horrible tendency to unconsciously futz with my hair when it's down. I don't even realize I'm doing it. I'd much rather have it pulled back.

Right now, my hair is longer than usual. Since interview season is approaching, I'm debating keeping it longer, so I can pull it back into a smooth ponytail for interviews. The problem now arises that, even flat-ironed, a low ponytail will probably be too short to be interview appropriate. Is a higher ponytail alright, like even with my eyes? It still won't be very long, about 6", but at the bottom of my head it's only about 4" and it's too short to look very neat. Basically, is a ponytail of about this length and height okay (only, you know, with a band on it, because that picture just looks ridiculous)? My first interview is the end of September so there's really not much more time for it to grow.

I have a hair question. I often have my hair cut to my hairline. The length looks good on me, and I can pull it back into a little Jedi Padawan-like ponytail if I have to. The problem is, however, that that ponytail is not interview appropriate (It looks something like this, only a little less shaggy), and I have a horrible tendency to unconsciously futz with my hair when it's down. I don't even realize I'm doing it. I'd much rather have it pulled back.

Right now, my hair is longer than usual. Since interview season is approaching, I'm debating keeping it longer, so I can pull it back into a smooth ponytail for interviews. The problem now arises that, even flat-ironed, a low ponytail will probably be too short to be interview appropriate. Is a higher ponytail alright, like even with my eyes? It still won't be very long, about 6", but at the bottom of my head it's only about 4" and it's too short to look very neat. Basically, is a ponytail of about this length and height okay (only, you know, with a band on it, because that picture just looks ridiculous)? My first interview is the end of September so there's really not much more time for it to grow.

My personal opinion would be that a ponytail that short appears too casual. My advice would be to either a) pull your hair half-back with a nice, simple barrette clip or b) hairspray your hair out of your face/tuck your hair behind your ears (this just depends on how you feel about having your ears exposed).

That's my concern. I probably shouldn't have gotten my hair cut so short earlier this summer. I don't mind having my ears exposed. In fact, I prefer it. I will probably get my normal haircut again and clip the sides back or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.