Women's Interview Clothing (thread #2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi... I'm a dude. What the heck is a shell? All google is giving me is the gas company's logo, actual seashells and shirts with pictures of shells on them.

Members don't see this ad.

Merging this thread with the Women's Interview Clothing thread. Feel free to flip back through that for more good clothing advice:)

And a shell is a top that is generally not collared that is mostly worn under a sweater or suit jacket. Usually a round neckline, often sleeveless, and usually made of a nice fabric like silk or cashmere :D

Example:
http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/pr...001&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=22-87217581-2

Members don't see this ad :)
I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION:::

Interview in Dec/Jan east coast: COLD!
I have a nice wool suit. Should i wear pantyhose or black wool tights under a relatively light gray suit? (these tights are not bulky like ski ones. They are just opaque black tights, pretty warm)

I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION:::

Interview in Dec/Jan east coast: COLD!
I have a nice wool suit. Should i wear pantyhose or black wool tights under a relatively light gray suit? (these tights are not bulky like ski ones. They are just opaque black tights, pretty warm)

unless a significant portion of the interview day is going to be outside, I'd just stick with pantyhose. You wouldn't want to overheat/sweat while actually interviewing, especially if you happen to get an interviewer who likes to crank the heat up in his/her office.

I have a medium gray pantsuit, but it's a 3 piece. I'm wondering if I should ditch the vest underneath because it might look too formal? It looks great all together, but I don't want to give off the wrong vibe.

Just a little something I learned about suit tops. Long sleeved collared blouses can be bulky, especially if you have a full bust. You also have the problem of the gaping button holes. I really like silky shells with a decently high neckline. The Limited has a lot of these.

Oh, and please don't bring your regular everyday purse with you! I have seen this and it looks bad. Find something understated that matches your suit. Or bring a small tote that matches your suit.

Also, no dangly earrings.

I have a medium gray pantsuit, but it's a 3 piece. I'm wondering if I should ditch the vest underneath because it might look too formal? It looks great all together, but I don't want to give off the wrong vibe.

That sounds super cute, actually! I've never seen a girl in a 3 piece suit at an interview but I think the quirkiness of wearing something more menswear-ish would offset the formality. Go for it.

Oh, and please don't bring your regular everyday purse with you! I have seen this and it looks bad. Find something understated that matches your suit. Or bring a small tote that matches your suit.

Ugh, I've seen girls with beat up colorful tote bags that they've clearly used every day for five years. I actually bring my everyday purse to interviews, but it's a black Longchamp tote that I think is pretty understated.

Another thing: if you're going to bring flats to wear during the tour or when you're wandering around the hospital trying to find your interviewer's office, bring a pair of nice black flats! I forgot mine one time and had to choose between stumbling around in painful heels or wearing my tan moccasin-style flats.

Part of what I'm saying is, the click of the heel is both familiar (so I know my steps are sure) and feminine to me, as much a part of the ensemble as the tailored suit and the eyeliner. There's a time for rubber/silent soles, but I'm not going to make the interview one of them.

+1 totally agree. There is power in the click of a heel.

Er...I'm going to disagree. First of all, you're thinking too hard about this. Secondly, if you're going to be walking through clinical areas or into classrooms, I can tell you that noise is REALLY annoying (nothing more irritating than sitting in lecture and hearing the incessant "click-click", and I'd imagine there's nothing more awkward for an interviewee than having the professor and 100 students turn around to see where that's coming from). So yeah, it might make you feel like you're on Law and Order, but if there are patients or lecturers around, it's annoying as hell. Notice how the only people who are all gung-ho for the clicky heels are not in med school yet.

Wait to be a cool fashionista until your derm residency, and wear non-annoying shoes until then. I'm not saying flats (although they really do save your feet) but at least rubberized soles or those "silencers" are nice.

Also, because I noticed many girls shy away from it, but wear a tiny bit of makeup to your interview. You won't be deemed as an airhead or give off negative impressions as long as it is light and appropriate. What I've noticed is that a tiny bit of makeup - concealer, mascara, lip color - makes the girls look more professional and awake compared to someone who looks tired and splotchy. I also saw only one girl wear full foundation with minimal eye makeup and she looked great as well. So don't worry, a little bit of makeup to enhance your overall presentation looks good and should be worn, in my opinion, unless you're one of the lucky few who wake up perfect looking

The advice to wear silent heels isn't going to be heard by every single interviewee, and thus there's little point in my sacrificing my personal preference to do next to nothing for the "problem" of clicking. My interviewer wore regular heels and so did every female in my group. If the interview coordinators don't want current students disturbed, the interviewees shouldn't be taken through classrooms at all.

Also:

Notice how the only people who are all gung-ho for the clicky heels are not in med school yet.

Thanks for that.

Hah....I am gung ho for the clicky shoe because all of my heels are clicky. Why? Because they all cost about 400 bucks and are big girl shoes from my last career :p

Clicky usually indicates a full leather sole = higher quality shoe. Rubber soles are for cheaper (though often more comfortable, I will admit) shoes.

Also....I wear heels because I have a size 11 foot and I look plain stupid in flats and a skirt. Like a large capital L....:)

Edit: Actually....I am going to amend that. I think that there are SUPER cheap shoes that are SUPER clicky. I don't think my shoes are super clicky. But they do make a tapping sound when I walk.

And I agree about the whole "if you don't want us distracting you, don't let us into lecture halls" thing. At only one of my interviews so far have we been allowed in a lecture hall. And all we did was walk two steps inside the door and stand. I doubt shoes were the most distracting element, but who knows. Let's face it; we probably won't get much more out of visiting a full lecture hall as opposed to an empty one, so if we're really that distracting they don't have to allow it on a tour:)

Also, because I noticed many girls shy away from it, but wear a tiny bit of makeup to your interview. You won't be deemed as an airhead or give off negative impressions as long as it is light and appropriate. What I've noticed is that a tiny bit of makeup - concealer, mascara, lip color - makes the girls look more professional and awake compared to someone who looks tired and splotchy. I also saw only one girl wear full foundation with minimal eye makeup and she looked great as well. So don't worry, a little bit of makeup to enhance your overall presentation looks good and should be worn, in my opinion, unless you're one of the lucky few who wake up perfect looking

I guess this is kind of true, but I went to all of my interviews (10) except for one without any make-up. No, I do NOT wake up perfect looking and definitely far from it haha. I think I would have made the same impression with make-up on. Since I don't ever wear make-up normally, I just didn't feel comfortable with stuff on my face. This probably matters more when you're interviewing for higher positions (e.g. residency interviews) though.

Members don't see this ad :)
The advice to wear silent heels isn't going to be heard by every single interviewee, and thus there's little point in my sacrificing my personal preference to do next to nothing for the "problem" of clicking. My interviewer wore regular heels and so did every female in my group. If the interview coordinators don't want current students disturbed, the interviewees shouldn't be taken through classrooms at all.

Also:

Thanks for that.

Huh? I didn't mean that in an offensive way, I just meant that you're probably not used to the environment- the interviewees coming into the classroom, making noise outside during lecture, taking over the hallways of the hospital...you'll be there soon enough, just not at the moment. I don't see why that's a bad thing.

As for the heels, well, all I can say is at least try not to do it on purpose. Attempt to walk semi-on the balls of your feet. Consider wearing flats for the tour (no one cares, and your feet will be happier anyway) and just be aware when you walk into a lecture hall or near a patient room. It's the whole "my shoes make noise therefore I feel confident, I am woman hear me roar and walk down the hallway" argument that I find puzzling. Surely there are better ways to feel strong and in control. I don't know, maybe it's cause I'm 5'9" but I never feel under-dressed or like I'm blending into the walls if I wear non-noisy footwear or flats.

Anyways, obviously do whatever you want, but now at least the people of the thread have one more thing to consider when picking their interview clothes. As LizzyM points out, you don't want them to THINK of your clothes. You're not trying to win points with your wardrobe, you're trying to make them focus on your intellect and accomplishments. Any way you can do that (taking your hair off your face, wearing basic colors, not showing too much skin, not having panty-lines, and yes, not wearing shoes you can't walk in or that make too much noise) is a good thing.

Sorry, I can see that you didn't mean for that to be an insult, but I'm really on edge and pretty glum about my prospects at the moment. Deep breaths will be taken.

And sure, certainly. I agree with you that you should not rely on the "power" of your clothes or shoes as some sort of show of power or confidence. Speaking as a 5'0" person, however, I would be lying if I said that heels don't contribute to my self-esteem, and the whole feel and sound that I'm used to helps me feel more myself. I'd argue that the interview day is one of the occasions that you'd want to be thrown out of your comfort zone as little as possible. So I'm not saying that you should deliberately stomp your way into every clinical setting and classroom, but that clicking heels should be one of the things not to worry about messing with -- as long as you do try and moderate the sound if and when it is necessary.

I was also put off by a post earlier in this thread which seemed to equate my reference to high heels, a suit, and make-up as a clue that I was dressing as a dominatrix, in which case there is really a disconnect with how others seem to think I'm telling them to dress, or perhaps that that poster doesn't know what a dominatrix looks like.

Knowing that I never wear heels, I wore "lower" heels (1.5" I think) to my first interview. They were professional, black, simple, and were the perfect height so that I didn't have to hem my pants. I even tried wearing them out beforehand to break them in for a few hours. They seemed very comfortable and easy to walk in. However, my interview day lasted over 9 hours and there was a TON of walking, stairs, uneven ground, etc. So not long into the day, my feet were KILLING me. Unfortunately my actual interview was towards the end of the day, by which time I was ready to chop off my feet lol.

After that experience, I've learned that I can't wear heels at all. But I have big feet and somewhat shorter legs, so the cute flats that a lot of girls wear these days just look ridiculous on me.

I have another interview coming up in a few months. Does anyone have any suggestions for comfortable, yet professional-looking shoes? (I'm wearing a gray pant suit, if that matters).

Thanks! I would really appreciate any suggestions/advice!!!

Knowing that I never wear heels, I wore "lower" heels (1.5" I think) to my first interview. They were professional, black, simple, and were the perfect height so that I didn't have to hem my pants. I even tried wearing them out beforehand to break them in for a few hours. They seemed very comfortable and easy to walk in. However, my interview day lasted over 9 hours and there was a TON of walking, stairs, uneven ground, etc. So not long into the day, my feet were KILLING me. Unfortunately my actual interview was towards the end of the day, by which time I was ready to chop off my feet lol.

After that experience, I've learned that I can't wear heels at all. But I have big feet and somewhat shorter legs, so the cute flats that a lot of girls wear these days just look ridiculous on me.

I have another interview coming up in a few months. Does anyone have any suggestions for comfortable, yet professional-looking shoes? (I'm wearing a gray pant suit, if that matters).

You definitely don't need to wear heels to look professional. I have flat feet and I need to wear orthotics so I can't wear heels for any length of time.

I wore these. I think nice clogs, like the mary janes, look extremely professional and are comfortable for any amount of walking/ standing. I wore a grey pant suit with these for all three of my interviews. I got accepted at two of the schools so it obviously didn't look poorly.

You definitely don't need to wear heels to look professional. I have flat feet and I need to wear orthotics so I can't wear heels for any length of time.

I wore these. I think nice clogs, like the mary janes, look extremely professional and are comfortable for any amount of walking/ standing. I wore a grey pant suit with these for all three of my interviews. I got accepted at two of the schools so it obviously didn't look poorly.

Thanks! Yeah, it seems like women are mostly discussing either heels or flats on here, so I wasn't sure if there were alternatives that are still considered professional. Honestly, I don't care if the shoes are the most fashionable anymore, as long as they're comfortable and they don't ruin my interview day (I've learned my lesson lol). The last thing I want to be thinking about on my interview day is my feet!!

Thanks! Yeah, it seems like women are mostly discussing either heels or flats on here, so I wasn't sure if there were alternatives that are still considered professional. Honestly, I don't care if the shoes are the most fashionable anymore, as long as they're comfortable and they don't ruin my interview day (I've learned my lesson lol). The last thing I want to be thinking about on my interview day is my feet!!

Another option would be to carry a pair of your comfiest flats in your tote and wear heels only when interviewing. I did that when I applied and never regretted it (I too have short legs and wide feet, so I did want to wear heels at least when talking to the important people). When you're at interviews or at the big meeting with the dean and such, you're sitting down so wearing the heels won't be an issue. And then when the tour comes you can put on your flats. I used to be paranoid about what the tour guides or the people I ran into would think, but having led a bunch of these tours I can assure you I have never looked at the interviewees' shoes unless they were particularly bizarre or noisy, and I don't have a say in who gets in anyway.

Just another thing to consider.

:hello: I have a super cute three-piece gray skirt suit that I have worn to every interview. I LOVE it and have gotten very positive feedback. LOL, it's so uncommon, though, that I probably just outed myself to anyone who has been at any of my interviews. Anonymity is overrated anyway. :rolleyes:

Rock the three-piece. :thumbup:

Oh, I'm envious! I looked everywhere for a 3-piece grey suit and could never find one. I'm sure you guys looked awesome! :thumbup:

OTOH, I ended up wearing a very nice light grey pant suit by Tahari, purchased at Goodwill for $20. Everyone at interview day was wearing black or dark charcoal, and I totally stood out. :D

haha it was actually my mom's suit, but she can't fit it anymore. that saved me a shopping trip :D

This is what I wore with a charcoal skirt suit:

http://www.naturalizer.com/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?p=EC0218356&pg=3005597

They are super comfy even though they're heels. I got through several 6-7 hour-long interview days, tours included, wearing these. I have wide feet, and I've found that Naturalizer shoes in general are very comfortable without looking too casual. :)

Hi... I'm a dude. What the heck is a shell? All google is giving me is the gas company's logo, actual seashells and shirts with pictures of shells on them.

i am eating a chocolate wafer and started choking with laughter after reading this :)

Another thing: if you're going to bring flats to wear during the tour or when you're wandering around the hospital trying to find your interviewer's office, bring a pair of nice black flats! I forgot mine one time and had to choose between stumbling around in painful heels or wearing my tan moccasin-style flats.

okay i think the answer to this is "no way jose" but.....dr scholls fast flats???? they are black and plain and simple and fold into your purse (they come with a sweet little wristlet too--all for under 10$) i mean my heels are comfortable enough so i'll deal but would fast flats be tots inappropriate?

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat who doesn't wear any makeup anymore? i mean i'm going to wear the same makeup i wear to school every day. i can't imagine going out without my face. obvi i won't be wearing my smoky eyes saturday night look, but i'm going to look nice. if we feel we cannot be beautiful and professional...that says something about how we believe women are treated and expected to behave in the field.

okay i think the answer to this is "no way jose" but.....dr scholls fast flats???? they are black and plain and simple and fold into your purse (they come with a sweet little wristlet too--all for under 10$) i mean my heels are comfortable enough so i'll deal but would fast flats be tots inappropriate?

I've never heard of those, but they sound awesome!

those seem great in terms of having an extra pair of shoes for comfort, but they're a little slipper-ish. Depending on the structure of your interview day, those would be good to wear for the tour/any information sessions, and then you can excuse yourself to the restroom to change into your heels before the actual interview. Just in case you get an interviewer(s) who might see them as too casual.

if we feel we cannot be beautiful and professional...that says something about how we believe women are treated and expected to behave in the field.
If you want to feel beautiful, I think that's fine. But it should also be just fine if women wish to be treated as equals without being required to doll up.

That being said, I did wear a little light makeup. :p

I think it's time for me to give a shout out to Bare Minerals foundation. It's a powder that completely evens out my skin tone and covers up any dark circles under my eyes. I can go from sick, scary looking to gorgeous in seconds. :love:

The goal for my interview makeup was to look bright and fresh. I used a very light brown slightly shimmery eyeshadow just as a brigthener on my lids, mascara, bronzer on my cheeks, and a light pink lipstick.

I think the girls without makeup look sleepy. That is, unless you already have perfect skin, which I've seen on only maybe 1 person in my life.

Well, while I do think that wearing makeup can make you look more rested if you're tired, I really don't think your interview should be the time you experiment with makeup. If you've never worn it or know that you're not good at it, stick to what you know. The vast majority of interviewees are fine and don't look ridiculous thankfully, but I have seen a couple who obviously don't know how to put on makeup and decided to try it out, and results were terrifying. I'm talking mascara-caked eyelashes and eyeshadow to your eyebrows.

I started wearing makeup after college, and I'm still not super comfortable with it. I put a little concealer under my eyes and that's the extent of what I do on a daily basis (I have pretty naturally good skin, thanks mom and dad). For my interviews I also wore one coat of mascara and a teensy bit of blush.

I think it's time for me to give a shout out to Bare Minerals foundation. It's a powder that completely evens out my skin tone and covers up any dark circles under my eyes. I can go from sick, scary looking to gorgeous in seconds. :love:

:thumbup:

Last edited:

When I do wear makeup that is what I use because it doesn't make me break out like everything else.

I'm also a fan of mineral makeup. Less irritating, less funky preservatives like parabens, and it can even help clear your skin if you use it regularly. I especially like how shelf-stable it is, since I do not wear makeup regularly enough to use up a whole container before it goes off. Nothing's grosser than curdled liquid foundation. :thumbdown:

I actually can't use mineral makeup. It dries me out like crazy. I have naturally very dry skin which means that I never break out but mineral makeup makes me look like I'm made of chalk. And it feels itchy.

Do suit pants fit anyone else strangely?! I think I might wear a skirt to an interview in Ohio in December because of this...

Do suit pants fit anyone else strangely?! I think I might wear a skirt to an interview in Ohio in December because of this...
Only if I buy a true "suit" in the sense that the jacket is the same numeric size as the pants. Suit separates, where you can buy different sized jacket and matching pants/skirt work much better. Also, depending on what you mean by "strangely" you might need Tall or Petite special sizes.

:hello: I have a super cute three-piece gray skirt suit that I have worn to every interview. I LOVE it and have gotten very positive feedback. LOL, it's so uncommon, though, that I probably just outed myself to anyone who has been at any of my interviews. Anonymity is overrated anyway. :rolleyes:

Rock the three-piece. :thumbup:

I sort of wore a three piece as well (this one), with a shell top, although it is technically just two pieces because the vest is built into the jacket. It retailed at a few hundred dollars and I snagged it for $30 on eBay, shipping included. Gotta love eBay.

Only if I buy a true "suit" in the sense that the jacket is the same numeric size as the pants. Suit separates, where you can buy different sized jacket and matching pants/skirt work much better. Also, depending on what you mean by "strangely" you might need Tall or Petite special sizes.

Yea, I'm shaped a bit strangely. I have a tall torso, but I'm rather small, so suit jackets fit oddly. They are either short or too big. This is not a "true suit" I got it at the Limited where I could choose sizes and just found the sizes that work the best.

I am thinking of wearing a shirt/shell untucked to solve the strange fitting pants problem (i feel like the fabric bunches around my crotch)... Will that be okay?

thanks for the feedback :) I appreciate it!

Yea, I'm shaped a bit strangely. I have a tall torso, but I'm rather small, so suit jackets fit oddly. They are either short or too big. This is not a "true suit" I got it at the Limited where I could choose sizes and just found the sizes that work the best.

I am thinking of wearing a shirt/shell untucked to solve the strange fitting pants problem (i feel like the fabric bunches around my crotch)... Will that be okay?

Sounds like you might need petite pants - they aren't just shorter in the leg but also shorter in the "rise" (height of pant between crotch and waist). And maybe something like a S or XS regular or tall length jacket?

I wore an untucked shell/sweater with my suit, and ended up keeping my jacket buttoned all day anyway.

I'm weirdly sized too... I went to Banana Republic and got a jacket in the petites section, and the matching skirt one size bigger in the regular sizes so it wouldn't be too short. I lol'ed in the dressing room when I tried in the suit pants though... I'm way too curvy for that nonsense.

You need to send us a link to the entire page or screencap a picture of the skirt and reupload it. The link you posted is just a transparent filler used by the website for spacing purposes.

Last edited:
hi everyone,

i was thinking of wearing a full-sleeve rosette colour collared shirt and black pants. so far, has anyone worn/seen someone not wearing a suit jacket?

also, my natural eye colour is brown - as is skin tone - and i was going to wear green (prescription) contact lenses. i wear them usually on special occasions :D but i started having second thoughts because i thought it would..enhance my appearance too much :confused:

hi everyone,

i was thinking of wearing a full-sleeve rosette colour collared shirt and black pants. so far, has anyone worn/seen someone not wearing a suit jacket?

also, my natural eye colour is brown - as is skin tone - and i was going to wear green (prescription) contact lenses. i wear them usually on special occasions :D but i started having second thoughts because i thought it would..enhance my appearance too much :confused:

I've only been to one interview so far, but out of 20 applicants, everyone was wearing a suit jacket (both guys and girls). And it was hot outside! There was only one girl without a jacket, but she wore a nice dress.

I'm not sure about the contacts. Since some schools have a picture of you, you probably don't want to look too different. Supposedly they also look at the picture they took of you on MCAT day to make sure you are who you say you are. Maybe others on this thread could chime in about contacts.

hi everyone,

I went to interview #11 today. I've yet to see a single female interviewee *not* wearing a suit jacket. (I've run into one male who did not wear a suit jacket, and he was visibly nervous about it the entire day. :( ) It's ultimately your decision, and we're probably blowing it up to be a bigger deal than it is, but I personally would not want to stand out in a way that suggests that I'm less professional/prepared/aware than the other applicants.

I saw a girl without a suit jacket; she was actually wearing some kind of buttoned sweater thing. Not even a very nice one. Needless to say, it was strange.

I have no doubt that you look amazing in the green contacts (I'm a fan too), but I agree that they're probably too noticeable/informal for an interview.

I had a beautiful suit that I bought last year (I'm a reapplicant), until my fiance washed and dried it. :whoa:

At the time I justified spending a lot of money on it by telling myself there would be lots of occasions to wear it in the future. Now I'm thinking about buying the exact same suit again, but I'm starting to wonder if it's crazy to spend that kind of money ($350). How much did you guys spend? What do you consider a reasonable price for a quality suit that makes you look and feel your best?

Status
Not open for further replies.