what´s in a Name???????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rxgal8 said:
lol...I didn't know YOU were indian!!!!!!!! (patel here also)
btw i almost went to USC but ended up at UOP :) Are you starting this fall?

Although I am not a Patel, we could have a Patel band. :laugh: :laugh:

Gujarati is not harsh if you speak it politely, I'd say .
It's just that most gujjus don't speak Hindi very well, unlike me :D , so they tend to find it more refined/ whatever

Members don't see this ad.

rxgal8 said:
lol...I didn't know YOU were indian!!!!!!!! (patel here also)
btw i almost went to USC but ended up at UOP :) Are you starting this fall?

Yep I'm starting this fall - I just did my undergrad there too so it feels like I'm just starting school like every year for the past few years.. You should have gone to USC! How is it up there in Stockton?

BTW, my name is so not Indian/guju/etc.. I was named after the 80's UK pop singer Sheena Easton. Crazy hippie parents! :laugh:

Premedtomed said:
Although I am not a Patel, we could have a Patel band. :laugh: :laugh:

Gujarati is not harsh if you speak it politely, I'd say .
It's just that most gujjus don't speak Hindi very well, unlike me :D , so they tend to find it more refined/ whatever
yah, actually i suck at hindi too haha :p

Members don't see this ad :)
ilovepharmacy said:
Yep I'm starting this fall - I just did my undergrad there too so it feels like I'm just starting school like every year for the past few years.. You should have gone to USC! How is it up there in Stockton?
Yah but I couldn't say no to a 3-year program. Stockton is stockton :scared: but it's all good because we only school here for 2 years and then our third year are rotations so we can go home or anywhere else and do them there :)

BTW, my name is so not Indian/guju/etc.. I was named after the 80's UK pop singer Sheena Easton. Crazy hippie parents! :laugh:
:love: Nice name. I think Sheena Easton was the one who sang the song "for your eyes only" (James Bond movie theme). btw...I'm Jeenal =)

thats true - back in HS my mom was googly-eyed for the UOP program too (theyre 6 year pre pharm one). but the thought of it being so far (i live in LA) deterred her from encouraging me to go there..

and yes easton sang that song for the james bond movie! but i like her "Morning Train" song the best..

ilovepharmacy said:
thats true - back in HS my mom was googly-eyed for the UOP program too (theyre 6 year pre pharm one). but the thought of it being so far (i live in LA) deterred her from encouraging me to go there..

and yes easton sang that song for the james bond movie! but i like her "Morning Train" song the best..
yah i didnt even know about the program until during undergrad, which i'm actually glad because when you rush through school, you miss out on a lot and then you end up being one of the immature kids in a professional school wondering if you've chosen the right career path. I went to UCI for undergrad, got my BS then came here =)

hmm...I'll have to listen to Morning Train sometime this week. But enough with procrastinating and it's time to finish studying, got a quiz tomorrow :oops:

Premedtomed said:
Bhai tamari umar ketli?? Mane to aathiyavees / chavvis na lagta hata.

Ya- your guess is perfectly right. I am 26

But still we start using that sign in the 2nd year of MBBS studies- and I was there in 1997.

And for RxGal

Ya- i'm back home finally- happy to be back with my family and my gal :)

ya- i have to agree that Gujju language sounds a little harsher than Hindi but actually it is a polite language.
There are so many dialects in Gujarati that if you put a Kutchhi, a Mehsana patel, A Saurashtra person and a South gujarati (Surti) together, they would not be able to even understand each other.
Also that Gujjus in general speak very bad Hindi- they mess up hindi and gujarati and what finally comes out of mouth is something funnier than both! Actually many have abilities to do the same with English too!

I can escape that Bad Hindi blame myself because I lived 2 years in Lucknow when i was around 12 and I can speak respectably good Lucknowi hindi, and little punjabi too.

DrGarfield said:
Also that Gujjus in general speak very bad Hindi- they mess up hindi and gujarati and what finally comes out of mouth is something funnier than both! Actually many have abilities to do the same with English too!
lol...it's true :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
what does biju kem mean? I heard it in thatmovie, Kal ho na hoo.

prady said:
cool! ;) kemche maja macho?
haa...majama chu (hope that's right haha)

sunny123 said:
what does biju kem mean? I heard it in thatmovie, Kal ho na hoo.
hmm...maybe garfield, premedtomed, sheena, etc can correct me...
i think it means "why another one?" i dont remember that phrase in the movie but OMGGGG that guju song was sooooo embarassing hahahaha

rxgal8 said:
hmm...maybe garfield, premedtomed, sheena, etc can correct me...
i think it means "why another one?" i dont remember that phrase in the movie but OMGGGG that guju song was sooooo embarassing hahahaha
:laugh: :thumbup:

Ok thanks for the translation. Yeah, and that guju song was kinda out there :laugh:

sunny123 said:
Ok thanks for the translation. Yeah, and that guju song was kinda out there :laugh:

Seriously - that song had my non-guju friends asking "do you guys really do cheesy stuff like that..." and i was like.... noooo.. (but in my head im thinkin "yeeeess..") :laugh: and rxgal is right on the translation..

prady said:
cool! ;) kemche maja macho?

Hey did u pick that line from song "Dil le gayi kudi gujarat di"? :confused: I dont know the singer but song was quite groovy and popular few years back!

well exactly not from that song!i have a lot of gujju friends,from whom i learnt a little gujarati!!! ;) but yes that song was very popular couple of years back!singer is jas... i guess!anybody.....there...... i stand to b corrected if 'm wrong!!!!! :laugh:

allergic2morons said:
Hey did u pick that line from song "Dil le gayi kudi gujarat di"? :confused: I dont know the singer but song was quite groovy and popular few years back!

The singer of Dil le gayi....... was Jassi

"Biju kem?" means "Why another one?" or it can also mean, "what else?" as we usually ask at around the end of a telephonic chat. I don't remember the context of the movie, but i think the latter one is more frequent use.

DrGarfield said:

"Biju kem?" means "Why another one?" or it can also mean, "what else?" as we usually ask at around the end of a telephonic chat. I don't remember the context of the movie, but i think the latter one is more frequent use.
"what else?" = "biju su?" or "biju kai?" i think i mix up all the synonyms :p

rxgal8 said:
"what else?" = "biju su?" or "biju kai?" i think i mix up all the synonyms :p

Your Gujarati is good, but I am sure the KHNH people meant that by that line. I trust them to mis-use Gujarati words and mix up.

well, i was real close!hehe!
DrGarfield said:

DrGarfield said:
Your Gujarati is good, but I am sure the KHNH people meant that by that line. I trust them to mis-use Gujarati words and mix up.

kai vaandho nahi.

Garfield bhai tame kem cho?? Ghar maa baddha kem che? Appro Gujarat kem che?

no problem.

garf. how are u? how's everyone at home? how's Gujarat?

Premedtomed said:
kai vaandho nahi.

no problem.

no problem.

Premedtomed said:
kai vaandho nahi.

no problem.

Ha ha- hu ekdum jalsaa ma chhu, ghare pan badhha majama chhe. Atyare amdavad ma bahuj garmi chhe- 42 degree celcius!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

DrGarfield said:
Ha ha- hu ekdum jalsaa ma chhu, ghare pan badhha majama chhe. Atyare amdavad ma bahuj garmi chhe- 42 degree celcius!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

US karta to saru che tamne. Aiya to thandi ane garmi bane extreme!

nokia said:
budhiraja ! that wud ba surname i guess .
hard luck buddy!!!!!!! better luck next time!!!!!!
what year ur in? I suppose u r at KMC