Most developed part(s) of India?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

businessguy

That's gold Jerry, Gold!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I were to go to India, what few cities would be most developed in terms of infastructure, education systems, economic stability..etc... What city or cities look most like American or Canadian cities?

Members don't see this ad.

businessguy said:
If I were to go to India, what few cities would be most developed in terms of infastructure, education systems, economic stability..etc... What city or cities look most like American or Canadian cities?

haha :laugh:

if u want infrastructure, education etc. Bangalore, Bombay (but good luck affording a place to live, these two are more expensive than California), Hyderbad, Chennai.

contrary to the belief held in many Western countries, India has a strong educational system if you have the money and public education is getting stronger every year. With time, the country will boom ....it is already on the rise and it is an exciting time to be there. i think u will be able to find all these things in every big city in India....u must remember, the wealthy in India would probably make your average foreigner look like a peon....u probably wont be able to afford the best India has to offer.

if u are looking to start a business, you need "know how" in India. unless you partner up with someone or are so filthy rich you can hire people to work out the logistics, u probably dont have much of a chance, since there are so many individuals with the financial power and know how already in these businesses...even if u started one, u would probably be outcompeted by a very large company.

i just read your other posts.

you would be squashed like an ant in India being as ethnocentric as you are.

remember, if you go to India you will be the peon. Do not let your stereotypes block reality......there are so many filthy rich Indians that you would be nothing there....u would probably struggle to buy a mango at the shop because you would know nothing about the language, culture etc.....i mean, that is if you ever made it to the shop because you would probably take the wrong bus.

remember, you would be the foreigner there, nobody is going to kiss your ass.

Members don't see this ad :)
Comparing india... to a developed country like US is like comparing apples to oranges... just doesnt work... secondly why do you ask ?

sure india has gotten better but they have a long ways to go before they can even start comparing themselves to the developed world...

And marcus you are very wrong ... everyone here kisses up to foreigners (they love em) that doesnt stop them from ripping you off though... =P

marcus_aurelius said:
i just read your other posts.

you would be squashed like an ant in India being as ethnocentric as you are.

remember, if you go to India you will be the peon. Do not let your stereotypes block reality......there are so many filthy rich Indians that you would be nothing there....u would probably struggle to buy a mango at the shop because you would know nothing about the language, culture etc.....i mean, that is if you ever made it to the shop because you would probably take the wrong bus.

remember, you would be the foreigner there, nobody is going to kiss your ass.

hah.. i beg to differ. from experience, i can say that foreigners usually get the royal treatment... mainly due to money.

The hotel waiter, the tour guide, the rickshaw wallah, and the taxi driver will sure kiss the asses of anyone who's a foreigner, but then they must not expect it from anyone else. Indians have seen a lot of the world.

if they are very poor or middle class, then they might kiss your ass for a tip.

but the rich WILL NOT kiss your ass JUST because you are a foreigner.

some of my relatives are filthy rich in India and own a huge corporation. they are not going to kiss the ass of a foreign tourist...you can forget about that....

....also, i acknowledge that you cant compare India to the U.S. development wise. the view in many western nations however is that India is one huge slum and there are no wealthy or educated individuals there.

i stand strong to my argument that an average foreigner WILL NOT be able to afford the BEST India has to offer. this guy is average, read his other posts...besides, why would an American Birla be in the medical field....he would hire doctors and scientists to do the work for him.

to depict India as a completely developed nation might be wrong, but dont portray it as a pit either...it is a "developing" nation and if you have the money, I feel you can live as well in India as in the U.S. or any other developed nation. Present India with pride.

I feel you can live as well in India as in the U.S. or any other developed nation. Present India with pride.
LOL at that

People to drive you around, do your laundry and cooking for you, clean up after you, basically do whatever you want them to do...i'd say that the lifestyle in India is pretty good in its own way. Just because the US has Walmart doesn't make its QoL better.

On the other hand, i might be in a Mercedes, but i'd still be stuck behind the same old bullock-cart on a pot-hole ridden excuse for a road. oh well, atleast i'm comfortable in my misery..

you do have a point there...

for attending college that particular aspect of indian life is great!
i dont have to do anything =) can just concentrate on studies.... and of course parties... but the no responsibilities is kinda nice...

but at the end of the day id rather take my high speed net with a lazy boy and have to clean up myself rather than stay here....

Boinger said:
you do have a point there...

for attending college that particular aspect of indian life is great!
i dont have to do anything =) can just concentrate on studies.... and of course parties... but the no responsibilities is kinda nice...

but at the end of the day id rather take my high speed net with a lazy boy and have to clean up myself rather than stay here....

dont they have lazy boys and high speed internet in India?

Wait til you are on your hands and knees scrubbing your floor, cleaning your bathtub and scrubbing the toilet, cutting your lawn, shoveling your driveway.....wait.....while your in your first trimester of pregnancy....then we'll see whether you are really happy giving up the maid, cook, driver etc.

oh wait, and your first patient tells you they want a white doc because they cant understand your broken English and your accent.

there are many advantages of living in India. dont be naive and think the streets are made of gold in the U.S....there is always a price to pay.

marcus_aurelius said:

Wait til you are on your hands and knees scrubbing your floor, cleaning your bathtub and scrubbing the toilet, cutting your lawn, shoveling your driveway.....wait.....while your in your first trimester of pregnancy....then we'll see whether you are really happy giving up the maid, cook, driver etc.

oh wait, and your first patient tells you they want a white doc because they cant understand your broken English and your accent.

there are many advantages of living in India. dont be naive and think the streets are made of gold in the U.S....there is always a price to pay.

i think there's enough south asians in the US so that an indian doc would not have a problem with patients wanting a white doctor - unless he/she is naive enough to serve in a predominantly white trash area...

marcus_aurelius said:
this guy is average, read his other posts...

How interesting.

to depict India as a completely developed nation might be wrong, but dont portray it as a pit either...it is a "developing" nation and if you have the money, I feel you can live as well in India as in the U.S. or any other developed nation. Present India with pride.

You're being too uptight. I asked a simple question. I did not say or imply that India was a pit.

Take a deep breath. Relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
businessguy said:
How interesting.

You're being too uptight. I asked a simple question. I did not say or imply that India was a pit.

Take a deep breath. Relax.

yeah, i admit, i went a little ape**** on you...haha, i know what your going to say..."a little?"

what kind of businesses are you interested in starting?

Khushi said:
hah.. i beg to differ. from experience, i can say that foreigners usually get the royal treatment... mainly due to money.

Khusha, if you look like that in real life, we could have a lil thing going...hubba hubba :laugh: :love:

Businessguy: can you elaborate a little bit more on your primary request? What do you intend to do in these cities? Start a business or are you looking for a place to go on a holiday?

Also, if you are looking to start a business, what kind of business? Bangalore is obviously the IT capital, however Pune, Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi are other cities that have business opportunities.

If you are looking for a place to go vacation, then I suggest either the northern cities like Delhi, Agra, Jaipur etc etc, or Kerala; some other western cities like Goa are great too.

As far as being a foreigner/NRI, yes people will wait on you hand and foot provided you shell out the cash. Yes India has changed a lot and being a native of Mumbai, I can tell you that the local economy has boomed tremendously. Do know this, currently India is the best place to do business.

AMMD said:
Businessguy: can you elaborate a little bit more on your primary request? What do you intend to do in these cities? Start a business or are you looking for a place to go on a holiday?

Also, if you are looking to start a business, what kind of business? Bangalore is obviously the IT capital, however Pune, Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi are other cities that have business opportunities.

Not really looking to start a business in India... :laugh: I am assuming that my username gives that signal.

I have heard good things about India and I was planning on taking a vacation, so I thought it might be a good idea to go to the bigger cities where I might be a little more safe around touristy areas.

Thanks

businessguy said:
Not really looking to start a business in India... :laugh: I am assuming that my username gives that signal.

I have heard good things about India and I was planning on taking a vacation, so I thought it might be a good idea to go to the bigger cities where I might be a little more safe around touristy areas.

Thanks

Go to Goa and Rajasthan...i'd suggest Kashmir but you could get killed or taken hostage....if your in the area though, Nepal would be awesome. Goa has some fly hunnies from all over Europe who dance around the beaches getting stoned.

Bombay is good but I think it would be ridiculously expensive and if you got lost, it could be a problem.

best to go with someone who has relatives in India or is from the country and can speak a bit of Hindi.

marcus_aurelius said:
Khusha, if you look like that in real life, we could have a lil thing going...hubba hubba :laugh: :love:
lol.. sorta? heh, i don`t see any resemblence though. :p

Bhubaneshwar.

(cackles to himself on the way out)

TheDervish said:
Bhubaneshwar.

(cackles to himself on the way out)

i hear calcutta during monsoon season is simply gorgeous :laugh: :smuggrin:

marcus_aurelius said:

Note that u just made 3 assumptions about me not knowing a damn thing about me....

First i like doing my own work and to be frank i dont like maids/servant around all the time... i think it makes people lazy....

Second im a guy dont have to worry about pregnancy ... and even so not to mention the facilities america has... outweigh the benefits india has....

Third I am from america and have been raised in LA i dont have an accent so i wont have a problem there.....

And if you really wanted the "advantages" you speak of that india has to offer... Go to bangkok... you can still get a maid and all the perks of the indian life style in the same money there.... The dif is its more developed... and facilities are availble there as well

Finally i suggest you cool off.... you have a tendency to go ape **** a lot....

And to clarify your right on one thing im not a fan of india at all... im just here for school than im gone... you can quote me on that one... its simply a means to an end

Boinger said:
Finally i suggest you cool off.... you have a tendency to go ape **** a lot....
Seriously, m_a, your foaming at the mouth is hardly serving any purpose, except to make me cringe. No need to go Kung-Fu (or Kalaripayuttu) on anyone's a$$ here..

Boinger said:
And to clarify your right on one thing im not a fan of india at all... im just here for school than im gone... you can quote me on that one... its simply a means to an end

aahhhh, couldnt get into an american med schl could u .... :laugh: :laugh:

....let me guess, manipal?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

marcus_aurelius said:
aahhhh, couldnt get into an american med schl could u .... :laugh: :laugh:

....let me guess, manipal?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
laugh up smart guy i havent even applied to american med schools came here to save time...

your really quite full of yourself... lol

bangalore... btw

uhoh! said:
Seriously, m_a, your foaming at the mouth is hardly serving any purpose, except to make me cringe. No need to go Kung-Fu (or Kalaripayuttu) on anyone's a$$ here..
what are u talkin bout... ?

DrGarfield said:
The hotel waiter, the tour guide, the rickshaw wallah, and the taxi driver will sure kiss the asses of anyone who's a foreigner, but then they must not expect it from anyone else. Indians have seen a lot of the world.

Well..the ass kissers do that not for the foreginers sake...Its all about green Gandhi's...

no doubt about that

but u cant blame em

everyone wants the money

Boinger said:
no doubt about that

but u cant blame em

everyone wants the money

I am not blaming....It is all the spirit of business...kiss rich ass....

india isnt bad...just dont go to punjab, haryana, himachal and parts of UP....it's all about the south, best education, best food, best women, and best lifestyle period! :)

businessguy said:

Thanks

Dont let ppl scare you, India has problems just as any major city in the world does. As a forginer your bound to get ripped off, and you can try and blend in but they still know. My mom moved to canada when she was 13, and whenever she goes back they can instantly tell shes from here. Another thing is, I would suggest taking someone with you, who knows about the culture just to make it easier on you. You will get ripped off, but just as you would if you went to any other forgien country.

I would try to vist some smaller villages and stuff to, they're very nice in most of them that Ive been to, and agian if you can find someone to go with you I think you'll enjoy it alot more.

If you've never been to a thrid world country, I would suggest perparing yourself mentaly cause theres alot of sad sights. Going to the touristy areas would be better, but theres still crime there as well so be prepared. My was in Goa about a week ago (first time in over 20years he went back), and his best friends wallet got stolen almost right out of his hand.