what´s in a Name???????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGarfield

Fat Cat of the house
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know what your name means?

is it just like that? some Serious meaning?

Funny? Story behind it? History?

Tell us about it!

Members don't see this ad.

Mine is Bhavin- it is a Sanskrit word that means The one from Future!

DrGarfield said:
Mine is Bhavin- it is a Sanskrit word that means The one from Future!
So u r a futuristic kid!

Shardul = lion. (I dont think i look like a lion though). Commonly u wil find statues of lion in indian temples which are called simha shardul which is a statue of a lion.
at some temples u can see statue of nar shardul i.e. god narsimha ( half man and haf lion - on of incarnation of lord vishnu to save prahlad) Narsimha is our Kul daivat i.e. the god our family worships (it is not that we dont worship other gods)

Members don't see this ad :)
ya- i understant the Kul Devta system! we have too- Devi Chamunda!

I knew Shardul- there are many lion stories in Gujarat- lions being found in Saurashtra jungles only- they sometimes refer to lion as Shardul!

The other names are Savaz! Nahar!

My name doesn't have any absolute meaning, but it is close enough to 'blue' or 'bluish clouds'. Can anyone guess? :D . I will tell the history later.

BTW my screen name has nothing to do with my name.

ravi said:
My name doesn't have any absolute meaning, but it is close enough to 'blue' or 'bluish clouds'. Can anyone guess? :D . I will tell the history later.

BTW my screen name has nothing to do with my name.

I guess it is NEELIMA

shardul said:
I guess it is NEELIMA

Neelima?
One was in my med school class- she´s in USA nowadays- but i donno if she had a son!!!! :confused:

shardul said:
I guess it is NEELIMA

Yes, you are absolutely correct!

DrGarfield said:
Neelima?
One was in my med school class- she´s in USA nowadays- but i donno if she had a son!!!! :confused:

I didn't go to med school in India (I went to Vet school). I hope your classmate sees this thread and replies :p .

In Sanskrit a compound of siddha, “acquired, accomplished, fulfilled, gained” and of artha, “aim, purpose, wealth, opulence"

( well tina is my nick name)My ..i guess you can call it "formal" name is- Harleen ...and it means - "devoted to God"

hopeful05 said:
( well tina is my nick name)My ..i guess you can call it "formal" name is- Harleen ...and it means - "devoted to God"

Harleen!! sounds good- what language is it??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hindi har= god
leen = devotion?

!!

hopeful05 said:
Hindi har= god
leen = devotion?

!!

ha ha- that´s so strange- it was in Hindi- so simple but i got no end of it!!! Unique name!!

Harleen is unique to Punjabis is it not? I've only met Punjabi Harleens, so I thought it was more of a Punjabi name. :D

Premedtomed said:
In Sanskrit a compound of siddha, “acquired, accomplished, fulfilled, gained” and of artha, “aim, purpose, wealth, opulence"

You should read the story of Gautama Buddha, I'm sure you already have. Its so incredibly inspiring. I usually envision the story when I come across the very name and associate it to the person's personality. But not always does it hold true.

priyanka said:
You should read the story of Gautama Buddha, I'm sure you already have. Its so incredibly inspiring. I usually envision the story when I come across the very name and associate it to the person's personality. But not always does it hold true.

Ya- the names ususally don´t coincide with the personalities!! They should start a custom of Re naming people at the age of 25!!!

priyanka said:

"haan ji" I am lot closer towards achieving my goals than beofre - I am getting there

sunny123 said:
Harleen is unique to Punjabis is it not? I've only met Punjabi Harleens, so I thought it was more of a Punjabi name. :D

i've never ever met a harleen...thank-god
I like having a unique name....
And yeah it is a punjabi name..but isn't har a hindi word for god?
ANd yeah I am Punjabi....
I usually have to tell people that...because no one ever believes it....I dopn't look punjabi I guess.... :confused:
Sad part: i don't speak my own language.... once againt the army background takes over...so we speak hindi..me and my sis..and my parents talk in punjabi amongst themselves...but in hindi with us....
wierd huh!!
but the two languages are so close....

Har probably has lots of meanings. I thought "har" is the flowered necklace that is put on a picture or used in marriages. Or is that called something else? :confused:

rxgal8 said:
Har probably has lots of meanings. I thought "har" is the flowered necklace that is put on a picture or used in marriages. Or is that called something else? :confused:

actually it´s not HAR as pronounced- it is pronounced like HER

HERLEEN

hopeful05 said:
i've never ever met a harleen...thank-god
I like having a unique name....
And yeah it is a punjabi name..but isn't har a hindi word for god?
ANd yeah I am Punjabi....
I usually have to tell people that...because no one ever believes it....I dopn't look punjabi I guess.... :confused:
Sad part: i don't speak my own language.... once againt the army background takes over...so we speak hindi..me and my sis..and my parents talk in punjabi amongst themselves...but in hindi with us....
wierd huh!!
but the two languages are so close....

I had a lot of friends from Punjab, Haryana and Delhi in the college- a couple of them Sirds too- so i can speak and understand punjabi quite well- but can´t read or write the Gurmukhi script!

DrGarfield said:
actually it´s not HAR as pronounced- it is pronounced like HER

HERLEEN
ohhhhhhhhhhh oops :laugh:

rxgal8 said:

I got your query- but aren´t you missing something? like... ahem..... writin about Your name?

DrGarfield said:
I got your query- but aren´t you missing something? like... ahem..... writin about Your name?
My name doesn't have a meaning. It's made up, so I get to give it a meaning. :p

rxgal8 said:
My name doesn't have a meaning. It's made up, so I get to give it a meaning. :p

Try- may be we can suggest something! :rolleyes:

DrGarfield said:
Try- may be we can suggest something! :rolleyes:
Jeenal

haha....see, there is no meaning. You can get the indian forum Einstein award if you come up with something. Goodluck :D

and Garfield desperately tries to search on-line for a meaning.....still no luck, huh. :laugh:

rxgal8 said:
Jeenal

haha....see, there is no meaning. You can get the indian forum Einstein award if you come up with something. Goodluck :D

Jeenal is actually a derivative of original name Jinal- for it has a better cheeky pronounciation!

Jinal means God Vishnu!!

There you go!! :thumbup:

DrGarfield said:
Jeenal is actually a derivative of original name Jinal- for it has a better cheeky pronounciation!

Jinal means God Vishnu!!

There you go!! :thumbup:
Whatttt....get out. Are you for real?

I know Jeenal probably comes from Jinal. But if Jinal does mean Lord Vishnu then I guess I'll have to award you with the Einstein award. :eek:

rxgal8 said:
Whatttt....get out. Are you for real?

Want a proof? find out here!!

find out Jeenal and Jinal in This List

DrGarfield said:
Want a proof? find out here!!

find out Jeenal and Jinal in This List
Whoa...fine, you're right! :smuggrin: :p
My life-long quest has ended, haha jk

My name means "glowing" :oops: , according to your Indiaparenting site Garfield.

rxgal8 said:
"Har", I thought, generally meant necklaces. Well, in Bengali, that is the regular word for necklaces.

HAAR= flowered necklace
HAAR= defeat

The HAR in my name...is pronounced hur...hur-leen

And don't they say--hur hur mahadev??
what does that mean then??

mine means "a bright star" - yucky, that sounds so cheesy.
can anyone guess what my name is? and i never go by the whole name...i use only half of my real name. at least i don't have some cheesy nicknames like rinky, dinky, pinky or pupply.

my name means "Fair".. as in complexion. Ummmm.. yeah I'm Indian.. so I don't think I can be very "fair".. :rolleyes:

saffronrain said:
my name means "Fair".. as in complexion. Ummmm.. yeah I'm Indian.. so I don't think I can be very "fair".. :rolleyes:

Dhaval

sunny123 said:
My name means "glowing" :oops: , according to your Indiaparenting site Garfield.

Sandeep!!

And that also explains your screen name- Sunny!

gwen said:
mine means "a bright star" - yucky, that sounds so cheesy.
can anyone guess what my name is? and i never go by the whole name...i use only half of my real name. at least i don't have some cheesy nicknames like rinky, dinky, pinky or pupply.

Lemme guess! Dhruvin???

That is a bright star,
U generally use Dhruv!
And that can´t be made into some stupid nickname!

DrGarfield said:
Sandeep!!

And that also explains your screen name- Sunny!
Bingo!! But the spelling is a bit different :laugh:

saffronrain said:
are you guessing what my name might be? wrong! try again! :laugh:

Wrong????? OMG!! :idea: :scared: :rolleyes:

Second chance--

Swetal!!!!

DrGarfield said:
Wrong????? OMG!! :idea: :scared: :rolleyes:

Second chance--

Swetal!!!!

verrrry close actually. if you take one letter out and add another letter in, you get my name. :D

saffronrain said:
verrrry close actually. if you take one letter out and add another letter in, you get my name. :D

Shweta?

Swetak, Swetam??? common now- Show!!

saffronrain said:

well let me guess
SHEETAL
now if I am right, you will have to treat me !!