What car you drive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2004 Canyon and 2004 Tahoe. Paid for and ride till they die

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I always like driving busted up cars. I drove this one car that had been in a few accidents everything busted up, no front end, broken windows replaced with garbage bags. I felt like everyone on the road respected me and wouldn't cut me off because they thought "wow look at that guys car, he clearly doesn't give a &&&& about crashing into ppl I better respect his personal space on the road.
My prius isn't that bad and I take very good care of it (keep it washed inside and out), but every time it gets scratched or dinged beyond my control I give zero Fs. Its nice. My registration had lapsed by like 5 months (Hubbs bday) and no one cared. I didn't even notice. Police just blow past me. Its awesome.

My PT is dumped on rims etc so Im quite used to police presence even when cruising in the right hand lane.

2008 cobalt and 2016 ram 1500. The nice thing about driving a truck is road presence... People keep more distance when you're in a truck and seem to tailgait and cut you off less

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you get fired for just asking ppl if they wanna see your car? unless he was like hitting on female techs?

Probably got fired for a different reason.

I also worked with a pharmacist who was very proud of his Nissan GTR which costs like 100k, he parked it in his garage and barely drove it. No one cared or knew what it was, probably assumed it was a cheapo car 'cause it was a Nissan LoL.

Reactions: 2 users
I drive a Dodge Challenger because I prefer my four wheels to not put me in a coma. Nothing wakes me up like a V8 exhaust note, and nothing puts me to sleep like a god damn crossover
For cars like that, that's definitely true. Not true for Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. Only an idiot would buy a used one in that class.
Audis, BMWs, and Mercedes are some of the best vehicles to buy used because they generally lose the most value in the first three years of ownership, after which their value declines much more slowly. A used BMW that is around 3 years old with less than 30k miles is about the best deal you can get if you want a luxury performance car for Camry money.

Reactions: 1 users
I drive a Dodge Challenger because I prefer my four wheels to not put me in a coma. Nothing wakes me up like a V8 exhaust note, and nothing puts me to sleep like a god damn crossover

Audis, BMWs, and Mercedes are some of the best vehicles to buy used because they generally lose the most value in the first three years of ownership, after which their value declines much more slowly. A used BMW that is around 3 years old with less than 30k miles is about the best deal you can get if you want a luxury performance car for Camry money.
The maintenance cost and inevitable issues that arise will more than make up for that discount in a few years.

Very poor idea owning one of those vehicles outside of warranty.

The maintenance cost and inevitable issues that arise will more than make up for that discount in a few years.

Very poor idea owning one of those vehicles outside of warranty.
Certified used gives you the best of both worlds, and you could literally pay for a LS engine swap four times over with the money you save.

Certified used gives you the best of both worlds, and you could literally pay for a LS engine swap four times over with the money you save.
I've owned an Audi Q7 and before that a BMW M3. Agree to disagree.

I've owned an Audi Q7 and before that a BMW M3. Agree to disagree.
M3s are not garden variety BMWs. There were a few models (such as the notorious E90, though all models after the E90 had some risk) which had a major risk of rod bearing failure that would brick your ride. Even with that being said, you can swap in a rebuilt Corvette LS engine for around 8k installed should your engine decide to give up the ghost, which would give you more horsepower on a naturally aspirated setup instead of a twin turbo that is plagued with reliability issues. A 2013 BMW M3 will run you around 34k with 30k miles, which is about half of what a base M3 will run you, plus you get the coupe body instead of the trash sedan design. Ride that engine until it bricks and do an LS swap and you now have all the reliability and power of the best V8 engine ever designed (far more powerful than the M3's engine) running on a sleek and maneuverable German platform for 24k less than a base M3 new and that is only *if* the stock engine goes (I had to run the numbers for custom mounting, cables, labor, etc). I must confess my friends and I are currently working on a LS swap on an E38 7 series because it is a fun project, we kind of love used BMWs as budget performance project cars.

Most BMWs, they're less self destructive than the 'ol M3. A used 3 series is much less likely to net you problems. The only BMW you could have owned that was more of a nightmare would be the very E38 7 series we are working on because their engines are basically destined for self-detknation.

But what do I know, I'm just some car guy

Last edited:
M3s are not garden variety BMWs. There were a few models (such as the notorious E90, though all models after the E90 had some risk) which had a major risk of rod bearing failure that would brick your ride. Even with that being said, you can swap in a rebuilt Corvette LS engine for around 8k installed should your engine decide to give up the ghost, which would give you more horsepower on a naturally aspirated setup instead of a twin turbo that is plagued with reliability issues. A 2013 BMW M3 will run you around 34k with 30k miles, which is about half of what a base M3 will run you, plus you get the coupe body instead of the trash sedan design. Ride that engine until it bricks and do an LS swap and you now have all the reliability and power of the best V8 engine ever designed (far more powerful than the M3's engine) running on a sleek and maneuverable German platform for 24k less than a base M3 new and that is only *if* the stock engine goes (I had to run the numbers for custom mounting, cables, labor, etc). I must confess my friends and I are currently working on a LS swap on an E38 7 series because it is a fun project, we kind of love used BMWs as budget performance project cars.

Most BMWs, they're less self destructive than the 'ol M3. A used 3 series is much less likely to net you problems. The only BMW you could have owned that was more of a nightmare would be the very E38 7 series we are working on because their engines are basically destined for self-detknation.

But what do I know, I'm just some car guy
Like I said, agree to disagree.

My friend is a mechanic and aside from Fords, he makes the most money from BMWs, Audis, Mercedes etc. They all break down after 5 years or so.

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid

Members don't see this ad :)
2012 Audi A6 bought new for $45k. Now only worth $11k trade-in so the depreciation was horrendous. I'll never buy brand new again. But I paid it off a few years ago so I'm just keeping it till the wheels fall off. It's still in mint condition at 75k miles, and very comfortable and quiet for long highway drives.

Also bought a used 2012 BMW 135i with manual transmission in mint condition, for when I want to have a bit of fun driving. I put in a CarPlay/Android Auto stereo and backup camera myself to update the tech.

Anyway I'm debt free, mortgage paid off, net worth over $1 mil so I think it's time to spend a little on things you enjoy.

Reactions: 3 users
2012 Audi A6 bought new for $45k. Now only worth $11k trade-in so the depreciation was horrendous. I'll never buy brand new again. But I paid it off a few years ago so I'm just keeping it till the wheels fall off. It's still in mint condition at 75k miles, and very comfortable and quiet for long highway drives.

Also bought a used 2012 BMW 135i with manual transmission in mint condition, for when I want to have a bit of fun driving. I put in a CarPlay/Android Auto stereo and backup camera myself to update the tech.

Anyway I'm debt free, mortgage paid off, net worth over $1 mil so I think it's time to spend a little on things you enjoy.
Went with the 2.0 then by that price.

2006 Ford F150 but I'm about to buy a Tesla Model 3

You know they just made the base 35k model available to purchase and lowered some price levels of the different options, if that was what you were waiting for.

Then: 2007 MB C Class
Now: 2015 Accord Hybrid

Both purchased used at 2 years

As long as it has leather seats and a sun/moonroof I'm good

What happened to the Taurus?

The brake lines rusted out. So I replaced them and got rid of it. Once one thing starts to rust, it can't be too long before something else does. I bought the thing for $8000 and it lasted me 9 years. I can't really complain. The 2000-2007 Taurus is the true disposable car of the American road. It's cheap, it'll last about a year for every thousand dollars you pay for it...and when it does break...just buy another one. There are a million of them, priced to sell.

Last edited:
Probably got fired for a different reason.

I also worked with a pharmacist who was very proud of his Nissan GTR which costs like 100k, he parked it in his garage and barely drove it. No one cared or knew what it was, probably assumed it was a cheapo car 'cause it was a Nissan LoL.
I just looked that car up and it doesn't even look that nice from the outside.

Ok so no one still has answered my question lol accord vs camry?

In my family nobody owns any particular car, anyone can drive anything. Line up of 3 cars '05 Elantra, '05 Santa Fe (soon to be replaced) and a '15 ML

I should probably actively encourage other people to spend money on new cars and to spend, spend, spend while saving minimally. That makes my index funds go up and my selection of used cars cheaper in the future.

If/when the auto loan bubble bursts we will be in used car heaven. The index funds, on the other hand...

A lot is personal preference but I dont care for the hatchback look that the Accord has had for a few years now. Will you be buying new or used? The latest JD power 3 year reliability rankings for Honda and Acura were both way down compared to years past, its JD power so take it with a grain of salt but could be meaningful.

If you want the best deal in cars right now...look into older hybrids/electrics. People get scared of the battery dying, so they don't consider them. But refurb batteries aren't that expensive these days.

Best newer deal...Ford C-Max Energi. You can get one with about 50,000 miles for about $10,000. 20 mile range on electric, 40MPG on gas hybrid. They look like the dorkiest thing on the planet, but it checks all of the practicality boxes. Flexibility of a plug in hybrid, good MPG, cheap, good history of reliability in Europe before it came over here, IIHS top safety pick (has the side airbags and everything). Great value. It is unlikely to need a new one before the year 2025 or so, but a replacement battery is like $1200 or so on the open market.

Used Nissan Leaf is a great value, too. For $6000 you can get a car that goes ~ 84 miles on all electric. Now...ones made before 2013 had thermal issues with the battery and the battery might be weak or bad...especially if it was in a hot climate. But if the battery does die, it can be replaced for $3000 or so. Like, from the dealer. So all in, even if you replace the battery down the line, you can have a good commuter electric car for under $10,000.

And the best value of all...2004-2009 Toyota Prius. Ask any cabbie in NYC. These damn things go 300,000+ miles before the batteries die and they have that Toyota reliability engine/transmission wise. And even if the battery does die and you don't want to replace it, the car will still function as a glorified Toyota Yaris. And there are people that will come to your house and do an entire refurb battery swap for $650.

I'm probably going to buy one of those three if my Mercury goes to the big highway in the sky in the next few years.

Last edited:

I've always owned Accords and didn't liked how Toyotas drive, but I recently rented a new Camry and it handled very nicely. U-turns were very easy, unlike the Accord which has a terrible turning radius. I prefer manual transmission though, not sure if Toyota even offers those anymore.

You know they just made the base 35k model available to purchase and lowered some price levels of the different options, if that was what you were waiting for.

The stars aligned perfectly :)

Convertible? I'm thinking if a 235i vert now for a fun car
No, I have the coupe. Need A/C year round in FL. Love the 3.0 L inline 6 turbocharged engine. Max torque of 300 lb-ft from 1300 rpm so it pulls seriously hard. I wore the rear tires out in 10k mi though. Handles like a go cart too. Sometimes I like to lure an SUV into tailgating me down a circular off ramp at 70 mph, where I don't have to touch the brakes at all, but they freak out when they realize they're going in way too fast.

I'm driving a used (new-to-me) 2016 Mazda CX-5, to replace the 2003 Saturn I had that finally died. It survived, but never fully recovered from, an accident and lasted about 170K miles. Since it never quite got over the issues from the accident, it passed on earlier than expected.

The GT-R isn't a car you buy for average people to stare at, it's a driver's car that you get to enjoy the performance of and the jaw drops of people that are in the know

Can't you just rent one at a race track whenever you want to enjoy the performance? You can fly to Vegas and rent the latest model of any supercar multiple times and it'd still be a fraction of the cost. I don't see the point of blowing a year salary on something kept in the garage 99% of the time in a suburban neighborhood where you can't speed.

I've always owned Accords and didn't liked how Toyotas drive, but I recently rented a new Camry and it handled very nicely. U-turns were very easy, unlike the Accord which has a terrible turning radius. I prefer manual transmission though, not sure if Toyota even offers those anymore.
The new Camry is fantastic
Can't you just rent one at a race track whenever you want to enjoy the performance? You can fly to Vegas and rent the latest model of any supercar multiple times and it'd still be a fraction of the cost. I don't see the point of blowing a year salary on something kept in the garage 99% of the time in a suburban neighborhood where you can't speed.
Well that *is* dumb. Unless he is planning to sell it and bought it as a collectible. GTRs are pretty likely to increase in value over time if they are well maintained and low in mileage.

Scooter stolen yesterday. We’re all cars again. Carry on.

'15 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x. Gas mileage is **** but it's got a pretty sweet setup for my surfboards and wetsuits

Attachments

• 11223896_10156128005160657_4206254118245386890_n.jpg
    11223896_10156128005160657_4206254118245386890_n.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 54
2018 Mazda CX-5 GTR and I love it!

Before this it was a 98 Toyota Camry LE which was with me through thick and thin

Last edited:
Camry has never been a fun car to drive. Even to this day with its new face-lift, it's not a sportier car vs. Accord driving dynamics (and better infotainment system). Accord all the way.

Scooter stolen yesterday. We’re all cars again. Carry on.
Sadness :(

We have a 2013 Chrysler minivan which is amazing and I wish it was mine to drive but alas, work provides me with a small SUV so I drive that. The van is paid off and has been for a couple of years and the SUV is free to me.

med_1474717872_image.jpg

I Scooter Pool to save on costs......

APR-AB-818006.jpg

2019 subaru WRX STI.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm looking for a new car (current one is slowly dying). Anybody look at the recent CX-5 or RAV4?

I'm looking for a new car (current one is slowly dying). Anybody look at the recent CX-5 or RAV4?

I was looking at this car class recently. Not sure about the latest RAV4 but the previous generation was disappointing. Cheap plastic inside and horrible suspension, you could feel every little bump in the road. CR-V seems good but there are many reports that gas mixes with oil and you can smell gas inside, wtf! Heard good things about CX-5.