What car do you drive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HE GOT DEM
B R E M B O S

Gratuitous shot #2

iHgLNxf.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 20170422_153744.jpg
    20170422_153744.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
The 2007 Taurus is in its sunset, unfortunately. Brake lines rusted, popped, and needed replaced. You know what they say, when one thing rusts down there, the entire undercarriage is liable to rust shortly thereafter.

I've given up on Tesla. They are anti-union. They can't reach production goals. There are questions about reliability coming out. Got my $1000 back. The Germans are coming and I'm not sure they can mount a defense. Maybe they can, maybe not. But I'm out.

So I went out yesterday to get a new car. I wound up buying a car at a price I honestly can't believe I got. 2015 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium. 15,xxx miles. Original retail was effing $40,011. Book was $20,300...they were asking $20,500 when they first listed it back in August. Bought it certified pre-owned for $16,500. I don't understand how this car isn't desirable to people. It's basically a Lincoln MKZ with a Ford Fusion around it on the outside that can drive in EV mode. All the tech, bangin' Sony sound system, moonroof, that crazy walk up to the car with your key fob in your pocke and it just unlocks nonsense. And it's got effing cooled leather seats. COOLED SEATS. I'm not talking ventilated seats. I mean to tell you there is a little cooling element in there that spits out actual cold air. In a Ford for whatever reason. And a little app where I can "set" my car to my phone via an app. Just put in a time and it gets nice and toasty warm, seats nice and heated, in preparation for your drive. And you can go 20 miles on pure EV around town to cut gas usage. The dude that had it before me was getting 80 miles/gal. That's pretty impressive. Why aren't these things everywhere? They are such a great value.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Weak. My 2009 camry has 160000 miles and can last another 100000 miles easy. It's just a matter if I want a newer, spryer car in the next few years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Weak. My 2009 camry has 160000 miles and can last another 100000 miles easy. It's just a matter if I want a newer, spryer car in the next few years.

The engine is fine. It's just rust. Which can be a one time thing...or a whole under carriage thing. Hey, I bought it used for $8,000 in 2009. Well over 100,000 miles more on it... I got my money's worth.

The 2007 Taurus is in its sunset, unfortunately. Brake lines rusted, popped, and needed replaced. You know what they say, when one thing rusts down there, the entire undercarriage is liable to rust shortly thereafter.

I've given up on Tesla. They are anti-union. They can't reach production goals. There are questions about reliability coming out. Got my $1000 back. The Germans are coming and I'm not sure they can mount a defense. Maybe they can, maybe not. But I'm out.

So I went out yesterday to get a new car. I wound up buying a car at a price I honestly can't believe I got. 2015 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium. 15,xxx miles. Original retail was effing $40,011. Book was $20,300...they were asking $20,500 when they first listed it back in August. Bought it certified pre-owned for $16,500. I don't understand how this car isn't desirable to people. It's basically a Lincoln MKZ with a Ford Fusion around it on the outside that can drive in EV mode. All the tech, bangin' Sony sound system, moonroof, that crazy walk up to the car with your key fob in your pocke and it just unlocks nonsense. And it's got effing cooled leather seats. COOLED SEATS. I'm not talking ventilated seats. I mean to tell you there is a little cooling element in there that spits out actual cold air. In a Ford for whatever reason. And a little app where I can "set" my car to my phone via an app. Just put in a time and it gets nice and toasty warm, seats nice and heated, in preparation for your drive. And you can go 20 miles on pure EV around town to cut gas usage. The dude that had it before me was getting 80 miles/gal. That's pretty impressive. Why aren't these things everywhere? They are such a great value.
that is a sweet deal- I don't know why more people don't but the 1-2 year old cars with low miles - you can get such a great deal doing that.

that is a sweet deal- I don't know why more people don't but the 1-2 year old cars with low miles - you can get such a great deal doing that.

Yup. When we were buying my car back in 2011, we got a one year old car with 10k miles for literally 1/3rd the price of a new one

Great deal! I'm also looking for bargains on used hybrids/EVs so I'll have to check out the Fusion. What do you think about the BMW i3? I see 2014 models advertised for $15k.

You all are going to disillusion all the Pharmacy students who are dreaming of hot women and fancy cars they graduate! We’re all up in here buying 3 year old Fords and joining cults to meet girls.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 14 users
In Wisconsin, you have to pay extra to register your car if it is electric or a hybrid.

You all are going to disillusion all the Pharmacy students who are dreaming of hot women and fancy cars they graduate! We’re all up in here buying 3 year old Fords and joining cults to meet girls.
Pharmacy Times should run this as the headline for State of Pharmacy, 2018.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like many of you are making great money moves! Driving a reliable vehicle you paid cash for is the way to go. That being said, maybe I can add some of my own experience here to further encourage you from another perspective. I've always enjoyed cars, and paid essentially for pharmacy school (back when it was cheap, not when it cost 100k plus, mind you) by 'flipping' cars. Really, I did it just to get all the sporty cars of my grade school and HS days, enjoy them and then try to break even (which can be hard to do in itself). Long story short, I was able to find some great stuff with problems I could troubleshoot for cheap and that did the trick. Fast forward to today, where I currently have just picked up another Porsche (this was actually a special edition 928, a speculative play for a value increase), I have a Merc S class, two BMW X5's, a Sequoia, and a Lexus LX SUV (land cruiser with lexus styling)....so I got great deals on these and am in a great position on them, BUT my word of advice is that I was just thinking last week how much all the market investments my wife and I have (and any of you likely have as well) and how cars beyond what you drive daily are essentially just dead money at best, and depreciating and expense causing at best. Sorry for the paragraph, but the point is: 1. Drive a car you can pay cash for 2. Drive a car that is reliable rather than flashy 3. It's OK to have maybe ONE car for fun on the side, but anything beyond that is just not good investing of your money (my car endeavors aren't breaking the bank, and likely won't for any of you that have a 2 income professional household, but its more the point of what you could be doing with the $ that would put you in an even better position later in life). Just my 0.02, hope it helps some of you.

I got a friend that imports luxury cars from china. lambos, ferraris, porsche, etc. Could get a discount if I wanted but never really cared about driving a nice car. Anyone wants the hookup though, hit me up

I would be lying if I said I haven't been looking at the Volt and Prius Prime, but I'm still holding out for the model 3. If things start to look really dire with Tesla I will probably drive my current car into the ground until more electric options are available.

I really want to get on the electric car bandwagon - maybe it is me just trying to feel better and give me hope that I am doing something to help the world. The kicker is, I literally walk to work -if I don't have a driving trip - I average 200 miles a month - even figuring in vacations, I average 5,000 miles a year. The breakeven point for an electric car is likely 20 years. So I drive a pickup - I don't need it by any means, but the extra space does come in handy every now and then, plus for the beach and mountain trips, it is very useful.

I'm moving in about 10 days to a place next to the Metro station so I'll likely take that to work and no longer drive. However, I've thought about getting a hybrid so I can use the HOV lanes.

I'm moving in about 10 days to a place next to the Metro station so I'll likely take that to work and no longer drive. However, I've thought about getting a hybrid so I can use the HOV lanes.
those aren't an issue for me luckily

Got an e-mail from Tesla last night and my car is delayed potentially until mid-2018.. and probably later, knowing Tesla.

I could have a Chevy Volt by the end of the day..

Got an e-mail from Tesla last night and my car is delayed potentially until mid-2018.. and probably later, knowing Tesla.

I could have a Chevy Volt by the end of the day..
at this point - I would just cancel - I want to support them, but that is ridiculous

at this point - I would just cancel - I want to support them, but that is ridiculous
Just finished sending e-mails to the local Chevy dealers for quotes on a Volt. This delay coupled with the new tax plan removing EV vehicle credits has forced my hand. I'll probably get a Volt, enjoy that $7500 tax credit, then reexamine Tesla in 5 years or so.

Also worth noting.. the SDN add for a Chevy Volt sitting right above this text box. Curse you, internet advertising!

Just finished sending e-mails to the local Chevy dealers for quotes on a Volt. This delay coupled with the new tax plan removing EV vehicle credits has forced my hand. I'll probably get a Volt, enjoy that $7500 tax credit, then reexamine Tesla in 5 years or so.

Also worth noting.. the SDN add for a Chevy Volt sitting right above this text box. Curse you, internet advertising!
check out costco - I bought my last car through then - saved me 3-4k over the closest offer at a dealership - even took them my quote and they would not even come close to matching. technically you have to be a member, but they never even asked for my account - just put in what you want on their website and they hook you up with a local dealer

2007 Camry 120,xxx with engine, air, and service lights on and sometimes gas light too!

There is an old saying: movable assets (car/boat) will depreciate while non movable (house/land) will appreciate over time. Having said that if you love it, can afford to pay cash, no loan or debt, and still single go ahead buy it and live a little! I'm ready to retire financially but not emotionally ready.

2007 Camry 120,xxx with engine, air, and service lights on and sometimes gas light too!

There is an old saying: movable assets (car/boat) will depreciate while non movable (house/land) will appreciate over time. Having said that if you love it, can afford to pay cash, no loan or debt, and still single go ahead buy it and live a little! I'm ready to retire financially but not emotionally ready.
I don't get the pay in cash attitude these days. Toyota often offers 0% financing. It would make more sense to take the loan and invest the rest of your money in this market.

I don't get the pay in cash attitude these days. Toyota often offers 0% financing. It would make more sense to take the loan and invest the rest of your money in this market.

It's all financial gurus like Dave Ramsey's dumb ass telling people advice that isn't mathematically optimal. He is so debt adverse that its ridiculous. Even if you can get 0% APR, he would have you buy a **** car then save the money over 4 years into a savings account to then eventually pay cash. Or , back in reality, you take advantage of the 0% APR, actually pay less over time because of inflation, and not have to deal with the ****ty car in the first place. Or his debt snowball nonsense where he'll have you pay off the smallest loan first rather than the one with the worst APR.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a very powerful marketing tool that makes you much more likely to justify buying that new car, and spend more on options and extras, etc. Just listen to yourself talk. You want to buy a Toyota just because they have 0% financing, but you didn't say anything about whether the actual price of the car is good value or not because you've been tricked to overlook that. In fact, several people have posted that the best deals are on used cars (and you don't see any 0% financing on those hmm?)

It's a very powerful marketing tool that makes you much more likely to justify buying that new car, and spend more on options and extras, etc. Just listen to yourself talk. You want to buy a Toyota just because they have 0% financing, but you didn't say anything about whether the actual price of the car is good value or not because you've been tricked to overlook that. In fact, several people have posted that the best deals are on used cars (and you don't see any 0% financing on those hmm?)

Yes you do. Hell, Ford has 0.9% APR right now on certified pre owned. Every manufacturer does that multiple times a year.

You're making a lot of assumptions about me here. I mentioned Toyota because that poster specifically stated they own a Camry.

My point is that new or used, financing is dirt cheap right now and it can be mathematically better to finance a car.

Crap - I didn't know that the credit was soon to be off the table! That makes me really want to cancel even more

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There's always the chance that the tax bill doesn't pass as is, but who knows. A $7500 credit is too good to pass up when you are already planning to replace your car. I may end up just fantasizing about owning a Tesla for another 5-10 years.

I am rooting for tesla, but they are really having a rough time getting this 3 out of the door. I doubt many will see it until 2019.

Last edited: