What car do you drive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npatel1050

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows pharmacists make a lot of cash.
What kind of car do you drive? Leased or owned? new or preowned?

Asking because I'm about to buy my first sports car at the age of 26. I'm looking at a used GTR for about 50k
No expenses, no loans, and I have enough cash to buy what I want. Bad idea? I know this is probably not the most responsible thing I've ever done but I've loved cars since I was a little kid. I'm a big fanatic for exotics

Chris Harris once said, "Some times you have to do stupid things because you want to do stupid things"

Members don't see this ad.

Mazda 3....economical, balance between performance and efficiency, found a good 0% 5-year payment deal.
I personally don't think it's wise to spend much on cars, since they're a depreciating asset that are only as good as their function over their lifespan. Safe, efficient, gets you from point A to point B, able to carry the stuff you need, those are my criteria. It's worth what you truly value it at though. There are people who spend inordinate amounts of money on seemingly trivial things (just context - not calling your hobby trivial), but to each, their own.
But yeah, I'd have to disagree that pharmacists make a lot of cash (nowadays). It probably takes the average pharmacist nowadays at least 10-15 years to break even financially with having gone a different career path (taking total costs of getting to where you are into account). Pharmacists' salaries are pretty deceptive.

Reactions: 2 users
I still use my 08 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L; bought it first year after finishing school. It was nice for the first 6 months, I'd wax and wash it every 2 weeks. However, since I always park at the nearest entrance to the store, those old people picking up rxs in the pharmacy have no control over their body when they open doors, the more often you go to work, the more the dings and scratches appear, then I don't give a crap about the car anymore.

Bought it new for 25k, now it's probably worth 8k or even less. That's $2500 gone every year to just use a car. We are gonna be together a long ass time. Gonna see if I can bring the use tax to $1250/year LOL

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
a beat up civic with 160k miles on it

Reactions: 4 users
Back when I was single I got a new 2013 Subaru Impreza hatchback. They had a confused look on their face after they asked me what kind of monthly payments I wanted to make and the answer was "$0". I bought it in cash.

Reactions: 1 users
2009 Honda Accord V6. Only 70K mileage. Pay cash for your car. Save monthly as if you have a car payment. Drive until wheels fall off. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

2009 Honda Accord V6. Only 70K mileage. Pay cash for your car. Save monthly as if you have a car payment. Drive until wheels fall off. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
Might be better to make monthy payments on cars for those that still have student loans...depending on the individual rates of course, but generally student loans are at least 6-7% unless they were refinanced...usually with decent credit, you can get 4% or less for cars...

2003 PT Cruiser Turbo I bought brand new, its been paid off since 2007
2012 Honda Odyssey for kid, dog and toy hauling, bought used last year
Hubbs has a 2012 Mitsubishi Evo that was his dream car, bought new, almost paid off

Dont want another daily driver until my loans are more under control....

I still have my Toyota Corolla at 135k miles from 7-8 years ago. I plan to sell it in the future. I don't need/want a car..

I used to have a 2009 Lexus IS 250. I got it for the supposedly sporty intentions, but I didn't like it because of how rough and noisy the 18" low profile tires were, and it was also quite small and cramped. So keep this in mind for your "first sports car", especially if you'll be mostly just commuting and getting beat up by rough roads, or sitting in traffic.

I traded it in for a 2012 Audi A6, which I still have because I love it. Big, comfortable, luxurious, solid, quiet and smooth. The downside is the massive depreciation. I bought it new for around $45k and now 3.5 years later it's only worth around $23k, so it lost half its value or $22k. But before anyone jumps on me, I've paid off all my student loans and my mortgage, max out all retirement accounts, and I'm single with no kids so I really have nothing else to spend money on.

lol forgot to add my own cars
family cars are:
2010 Porsche Cayenne
2012 BMW 528i xDrive
bought preowned
blessed, to say the least :)
i would be trading in one of the two current cars for my new sports car
the way i see it is now is the perfect time to have my dream car. no kids, loans, or expenses. why wait until 30 when im getting married, buying a house, or a kid on the way, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask me in a few years and I hope to have a Tesla.

Reactions: 7 users
I drive a 2001 Buick with 135k on it. It gets great gas mileage. But it stinks, the original grandpa owner was a smoker. Oh well, my commute including daycare is about 2 miles.

We also have a 2007 Suburban that I love, but who needs to drive that with 1 kid in it for such short distances? That's our family vehicle. My husband drives a 2007 Ford 3/4 ton diesel pickup.

We have no car payments and no desire to spend a ton of money on a car, even if we can afford it.

2014 Jettasportwagen TDI

Averaging 41mpg over 38000 miles. Still waiting to see what their answer will be.

But it's fun to drive and diesel is still cheaper than gas here. By $0.50/gal

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Subaru Impreza, the one under $25k. Practical for 4WD. Nothing fancy. I would get a Lexus if I were rich, but I'd rather spend that money on holidays and housing...

Subaru Impreza, the one under $25k. Practical for 4WD. Nothing fancy. I would get a Lexus if I were rich, but I'd rather spend that money on holidays and housing...
This. When I'm in my old age, I'm not going to care or remember what kind of car I had, whether it was a 15k workhorse or 50k decked out luxury/sports car. I'm not anywhere near rich, so if I have money to spend, I'm going to spend it on life experiences. Something like music lessons...travel...doing cool stuff.

Wife drives this:
2012-Chevrolet-Equinox-LTZ-White.jpg

Replaced her 2001 Chevrolet Venture after 120K

I drive this:

70368974.jpg

Women tend to pick a SUV to be more practical, men want something flashy to attract mates. Fact.

I'm in the same boat mostly as the OP. Just turned 25 with no kids/loans and real expenses.

Got a 2010 Lexus IS-F a year ago and absolutely love it. 415 hp on tap is fun.

2012 MB SLK 350. Bought it certified pre-owned in 2014 for just a bit under $40k. Absolutely love it! Before this I was driving a 2000 Honda accord with 150k miles, broken AC, airbag and check engine light on, gasket was slowly leaking. Good times!

But in those 3 years after residency, my wife and I paid off our $230k student loans, bought a house with $60k down, had 2 babies, bought a pre-owned Honda Odyssey minivan and CRV (for my in-laws), and maxed out 401k plus backdoor Roth IRA. Yeah wasn't fun driving during Texas summer in a car with no AC, but mission accomplished.

Everyone knows pharmacists make a lot of cash.
What kind of car do you drive? Leased or owned? new or preowned?

Asking because I'm about to buy my first sports car at the age of 26. I'm looking at a used GTR for about 50k
No expenses, no loans, and I have enough cash to buy what I want. Bad idea? I know this is probably not the most responsible thing I've ever done but I've loved cars since I was a little kid. I'm a big fanatic for exotics

Chris Harris once said, "Some times you have to do stupid things because you want to do stupid things"

Cons of owning a nice, high value car:
-higher chance of theft
-higher chance of robbery
-higher chance of car jacking
-higher insurance
-higher cost
-higher maintenance
-high speed = less safe
-pharm techs and other coworkers will secretly resent you
pros
-possibly more attention from individuals that you may be sexually attracted to
-fun to drive
-status symbol

I drive a 2002 Hyundai Elantra manual transmission next car will be a MetroCard and a used bicycle from CL.

Reactions: 1 users
2012 civic 39mpg, gas tank needs gas 3 times a month at 25 dollars per gas visit

Me: 2014 Toyota Tacoma
2001 Mercedes SLK 230

Fiancee: 2010 Toyota Corolla

Women tend to pick a SUV to be more practical, men want something flashy to attract mates. Fact.

I drive a 2006 Corolla because after working in Chicago for a few yrs, I was sick of hemorrhaging money for gas and rent. One day I hope to afford something flashy (like an Audi s6)

Might be better to make monthy payments on cars for those that still have student loans...depending on the individual rates of course, but generally student loans are at least 6-7% unless they were refinanced...usually with decent credit, you can get 4% or less for cars...
if you have student loans you shouldn't be driving anything worth more than 4k - when your loans are paid off, the splurge.

That being said I bought a corvette convertible when I still had loans - \

lesson - do as I say, not as a I do

Now I have drive a camry with 100k miles on it

2012 MB SLK 350. Bought it certified pre-owned in 2014 for just a bit under $40k. Absolutely love it! Before this I was driving a 2000 Honda accord with 150k miles, broken AC, airbag and check engine light on, gasket was slowly leaking. Good times!

But in those 3 years after residency, my wife and I paid off our $230k student loans, bought a house with $60k down, had 2 babies, bought a pre-owned Honda Odyssey minivan and CRV (for my in-laws), and maxed out 401k plus backdoor Roth IRA. Yeah wasn't fun driving during Texas summer in a car with no AC, but mission accomplished.

Umm. How? That's incredible. I owe like 150 and I'm thinking it'll take 6 years. How did you do any less?

I guess unless your job pays on the upper end of the spectrum.

I am getting married this year, and my fiancee and I both have cars nearing 200k miles. I have to figure out how to convince her to drive it into the ground and not get a Range Rover Evoque (and I have to hold off on a Subaru myself).

I drive a Ferd fteenthousand:

Umm. How? That's incredible. I owe like 150 and I'm thinking it'll take 6 years. How did you do any less?

I am getting married this year, and my fiancee and I both have cars nearing 200k miles. I have to figure out how to convince her to drive it into the ground and not get a Range Rover Evoque (and I have to hold off on a Subaru myself).
150k is nothing... You take home 70-80k/yr... 3 years tops you should be able to pay it off. Do NOT spend on junk and vacations. Cut out most subscriptions, fixed expenses (high rent, cable bill) for 3 yrs.

1998 Toyota Tacoma, same pickup I had before pharmacy school. Even though my loans are paid off I still have no urge to get a new car. Way better things to spend money on.

Get something you'll enjoy. You will regret making payments on something that is not what you really wanted. By the way... GTR? The transmissions are known to go boom.

26 with no expenses, kids, pets, etc? Live life a little.

2015 Honda fit.

Huge upgrade from the 2002 Honda Odyssey with broken AC and horrendous gas mileage from high school til a year after finishing pharm school. I would have loved a flashy car but I'd rather spend it on traveling and experiences. All I wanted was good gas mileage, a back up camera, and a sun roof. Mission accomplished !

My wife and are both pharmacists, so gross income is $250-$280k/yr during that time, vs total combined student loan of $230K. After max 401k, insurance, FSA, taxes, ect we took home $160-180k/yr, or half a million net over 3 yrs.

After $230k in student loans + $60k down on house + $13k for a used CRV (the Odyssey isn't completely paid off yet)+ medical bills for 2 births, we still made what is considered middle class living. One thing was pretty unusual for us: had my in-laws live with us back then. It increased the grocery bill and dampened sex life down to next to nothing, but hey, $2k/mo daycare cost saved!

Don't jump into a nice car until student loans are paid off. 6.8% fix and not tax deductible (Vs 30 year mortgage of 3.5% and tax deductible, car loan about 2%), it's an absolute rip-off. We went with a used CRV and Honda odyssey to meet the family needs without jeopardizing the goal of knocking out student loan ASAP. It was a great feeling when that loan turned to $0, and all the sudden you got $7K/month more than what you were used to. Yeah!

Last edited:
2009 Honda Civic Si. My new hire tech drives better car than me.

Reactions: 3 users
7 year old Accord with 112k miles. Paid 9k cash for it 2 years ago. I don't care for cars so I'll keep it another 5+ years. Still have 37k left in loans and trying to save up for a house.

2015 Dodge Dart Rally... but im not in Parm I just like cars!!!

Mazda 3 checking in, hatchback with manual transmission. Just paid it off last November, so I'm gonna drive that thing into the ground! It is so nice not having a car payment, I've been in a payment for the last 10 years and I never want another one.

Now, my dream car is a Tesla if I can ever save for it. My commute makes it practical, and I think they just look damn sexy, but we have a ways to go for that.

My wife and are both pharmacists, so gross income is $250-$280k/yr during that time, vs total combined student loan of $230K. After max 401k, insurance, FSA, taxes, ect we took home $160-180k/yr, or half a million net over 3 yrs.

After $230k in student loans + $60k down on house + $13k for a used CRV (the Odyssey isn't completely paid off yet)+ medical bills for 2 births, we still made what is considered middle class living. One thing was pretty unusual for us: had my in-laws live with us back then. It increased the grocery bill and dampened sex life down to next to nothing, but hey, $2k/mo daycare cost saved!

Don't jump into a nice car until student loans are paid off. 6.8% fix and not tax deductible (Vs 30 year mortgage of 3.5% and tax deductible, car loan about 2%), it's an absolute rip-off. We went with a used CRV and Honda odyssey to meet the family needs without jeopardizing the goal of knocking out student loan ASAP. It was a great feeling when that loan turned to $0, and all the sudden you got $7K/month more than what you were used to. Yeah!

^This. My fiancee' is a soon to be pharmacist as well. We probably owe closer to 300 though. Thanks, this gives me a positive outlook. Unless I end up on the residency bus, which might set me back financially a year or two.

Get something you'll enjoy. You will regret making payments on something that is not what you really wanted. By the way... GTR? The transmissions are known to go boom.

26 with no expenses, kids, pets, etc? Live life a little.
I have a pretty good mechanic so I'm not too scared about maintenance costs. Although I've read the gtr is a pretty stout car and very reliable for an exotic car. I'm sure I'll have to do my honework

I got a brand new 2012 Camry V6 now with 150k miles right out of pharmacy school, I use it for everything. Most of the mileage is from me picking up odd pharmacy jobs so that I can aggressively pay the bills. I'm looking into getting a used 4x4 4runner this summer that I beat up without any regards. Hopefully a good used m3 in a few more years once I have my student loans payed off.

I have a 2009 Camry SE with 150,000 miles. Will get it to 200,000 miles easy. The true test is if I can make it to 300,000.

I really want to get a three year old Corvette or Mustang, but my practical side says NO.

Family Odyssey 2001 with 200k miles. My chick magnet