What car do you drive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
a friend drives 2015 M3

Members don't see this ad.

I've got a nice little Fiesta with 110k on it. The sewing machine that powers it gets 35/42 mpg, it was great when I was commuting. Now that I'm not commuting I fill up the whopping 12 gallon tank about once a month.

I've got a Genesis that I've nearly killed, a 73 stingray that I'm restoring, and my high school 4x4

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a nice little Fiesta with 110k on it. The sewing machine that powers it gets 35/42 mpg, it was great when I was commuting. Now that I'm not commuting I fill up the whopping 12 gallon tank about once a month.

I cut holes in the floor of my car so I can power it with my feet. This will increase my net worth from $1.711MM to $1.714MM over the next 14 years.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I cut holes in the floor of my car so I can power it with my feet. This will increase my net worth from $1.711MM to $1.714MM over the next 14 years.
A penny saved...

The gas mileage is the only good thing about that car. I was driving ~700 miles/week when I got it. I'll probably upgrade to something a little bigger and nicer in the next few years.

What's everyone think about smaller SUVs? Looking at the Escape or Forester?

I used to have a 2009 Lexus IS 250. I got it for the supposedly sporty intentions, but I didn't like it because of how rough and noisy the 18" low profile tires were, and it was also quite small and cramped. So keep this in mind for your "first sports car", especially if you'll be mostly just commuting and getting beat up by rough roads, or sitting in traffic.

I traded it in for a 2012 Audi A6, which I still have because I love it. Big, comfortable, luxurious, solid, quiet and smooth. The downside is the massive depreciation. I bought it new for around $45k and now 3.5 years later it's only worth around $23k, so it lost half its value or $22k. But before anyone jumps on me, I've paid off all my student loans and my mortgage, max out all retirement accounts, and I'm single with no kids so I really have nothing else to spend money on.
I still have the Audi and just bought a 2012 BMW 135i with a manual transmission to have another try at the sports car thing. So far it's been a hoot to drive and much better than the Lexus IS.

I don't work hard to drive some POS, or live really frugally like renting a room in the ghettos just so I can have a bigger stock portfolio. On the other hand, I am also well aware of the dangers of using borrowed money to inflate your lifestyle beyond your means, so I have already paid off everything and only buy cars with cash.

Everyone knows pharmacists make a lot of cash?
They should think again. A lot of cash we make is definitely not enough now a day.

Anyway, I drive my 2007 Toyota Corolla. It is my first car and fully paid off.
It`s going about 125000 miles. Never gave me problem and I see no reason to change it until I am ready for another serious relationship.

I just checked my car value 08 Honda Coupe $6500. Planning to keep it for another 10 yrs :) Around (600/yr) in depreciation, $33 to insure, $100 registration, ooo yeah baby!

I drive an almost 10 yr old mid-sized SUV that I will drive until it no longer works. No interest in flashy cars.

I may be putting an LS3 in my Genesis soon.

It's got >160K miles and is starting to show them

I just realized my car is 7 years old but I only have 50k on it, and I bought it with like 10k already on it lol. Only problem I had is the power steering randomly turned off once, but after restarting the car it came back on and haven't had a problem with it sense. This was like 2-3 years ago too. Some weird electrical fluke I guess.

I'll probably keep it unless I go for the floater life, then I'll just get a truck because this car is total garbage in snow/rain even with nice tires.

Members don't see this ad :)
not a pharmacist

1970 AMC Gremlin

Baby runs like a dream, and there's enough space in the back to get jiggy with the missus while chillin at the drive-in.

Hum I work in a really bad neighborhood corner store so I want my car to blend into the background. So the hood is a different color from he body. There is duct tape holding up the back window. No way would I spend money on a nice car only to find it either missing rims or a buggy slammed into the side. Maybe one day I will invest in another car. Have a work and home life car. Until then I might look into getting some rim lights or some crappy seat covers. Cold AC goes from point A to point B!!!!

2017 Volt. My first purchased car. Do not plan to get another car. I dont need EV range beyond 50 for most of my driving.

2017 Volt. My first purchased car. Do not plan to get another car. I dont need EV range beyond 50 for most of my driving.

Care to give your impressions? I have a Model 3 on reserve but am heavily considering a Volt if there are delays or major issues with the Tesla. I like the look of the new model, and I could also drive in pure electric mode 90% of the time with that range.

Care to give your impressions? I have a Model 3 on reserve but am heavily considering a Volt if there are delays or major issues with the Tesla. I like the look of the new model, and I could also drive in pure electric mode 90% of the time with that range.

Times 2, pls. How long is real world recharge time?

I've been thinking about trading in the wife's Ford Taurus that she just uses to get to work and back for a 2013 Nissan Leaf. I can get one with low miles for $6000-$7000. 84 mile range. Just sell the Taurus for like $2500...plop down the $5000 cash...drive that little thing around town until it dies and save a ton in gas...

I've been thinking about trading in the wife's Ford Taurus that she just uses to get to work and back for a 2013 Nissan Leaf. I can get one with low miles for $6000-$7000. 84 mile range. Just sell the Taurus for like $2500...plop down the $5000 cash...drive that little thing around town until it dies and save a ton in gas...

Sounds like a great plan to me. What does the wife think?

Sounds like a great plan to me. What does the wife think?

She thinks it's a great idea. Considering I don't have to change oil or do any real maintenance other than change tires and checking fluids...nor do emissions tests...plus gas vs electricity prices...I calculated a break even point of 5 years or so. After that it's pure profit.

The only thing that worries me is battery degradation. But it looks like most people, anecdotally, are maintaining 85-90% capacity after 5 years...which seems decent.

Reactions: 1 user
If your area is not too hot, you are probably good to go to buy electric, but if you live in 90-120F summer, it will self discharge battery rapidly and degrade it really fast.

I bought a brand new car last year. I couldn't find a used car with less than 30,000 miles on it and have the features that I want. People forget that safety is worth money. I also was going to buy a used prius but I calculated how many years it would take for me to see gas savings and it would be 7 years compared to my scion Ia I drive. I got 0.9 financing compared to the used financing of 4%. I paid 15,000 for my car and I have an extended warranty on my car for 8 years, I don't have to worry about car repairs. I have bought two used cars, both terrible experiences. New is worth it or certified used. Put 30% down and plan to drive for a long time. I am planning to drive my car for 10 years. Because 10 plus year old cars now sell for 5000 dollars.

I bought a brand new car last year. I couldn't find a used car with less than 30,000 miles on it and have the features that I want. People forget that safety is worth money. I also was going to buy a used prius but I calculated how many years it would take for me to see gas savings and it would be 7 years compared to my scion Ia I drive. I got 0.9 financing compared to the used financing of 4%. I paid 15,000 for my car and I have an extended warranty on my car for 8 years, I don't have to worry about car repairs. I have bought two used cars, both terrible experiences. New is worth it or certified used. Put 30% down and plan to drive for a long time. I am planning to drive my car for 10 years. Because 10 plus year old cars now sell for 5000 dollars.

I don't think I could think of two more embarrassing things to drive than a prius or scion :bag:

I don't think I could think of two more embarrassing things to drive than a prius or scion :bag:

A lot of people with scions actually de-badge them and stick on Toyota emblems, but I'm pretty sure Scion was shut down anyways. Prius is like something that a stay at home dad would drive lol. The Hummer H3 is another that I would add to the list.

A lot of people with scions actually de-badge them and stick on Toyota emblems, but I'm pretty sure Scion was shut down anyways. Prius is like something that a stay at home dad would drive lol. The Hummer H3 is another that I would add to the list.
My car is actually a partnership car with Mazda. It has the sky active engine and everything. But, I enjoy my car and it was affordable. I test drove 3 chevy's and I barely felt like I fit in the car well. Scion was an experimental car brand within toyota's line up. But, cars are personal taste and I also picked a car that I could afford in addition to something that had a lot of tech in it.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't mind small and nimble cars, except when everyone else drives a pickup that you could almost fit in the bed of...

860817.jpg

^You wreck in one of those and you die...no thx jeff

Those people in priuses and scions are grown ass men that don't give a damn what people think.

Hell, I'll drive around a fiat 500e if i can find one cheap enough.

Reactions: 2 users
2008 Dodge Caliber

117,000 miles and paid off

Nothing like having a paid off car that's for sure

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Even better my paid off car only has 70K miles. Bought it brand new with cash for clunkers and got a $4,500 rebate. Original price 17,500 minus rebate total was $13,000 for a brand new car. THANKS OBAMA. Your turn Trump!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I couldn't imagine driving one of those fiat 500's or whatever they are called. Especially in rain on the highways, a truck passes you you'll either be completely blinded by the water or float away. Hell even the wind from a trailer might blow you off the road. My first car was a cobalt with 10,000 miles that I paid cash for and even in that I felt nervous driving in any type of weather. In fact I even managed to get it stuck in my driveway a few times due to mud/snow.

Last edited:
I couldn't imagine driving one of those fiat 500's or whatever they are called. Especially in rain on the highways, a truck passes you you'll either be completely blinded by the water or float away. Hell even the wind from a trailer might blow you off the road. My first car was a cobalt with 10,000 miles that I paid cash for and even in that I felt nervous driving in any type of weather. In fact I even managed to get it stuck in my driveway a few times due to mud/snow.

Naaaah, it's fine. I've driven both a Mini Cooper and an Audi TT on I95 during a torrential downpour and it was fine. The Fiat is a little smaller, but hey.. get the Abarth and you'll be okay.

In fact the TT was a lot of fun with all-wheel drive. Got me home one night when the road was insanely flooded and SUVs were floating away in the deeper water..uh... which I avoided.

My trap car that was supposed to make it through graduation next month just bit the dust. Ball joint separated from the tire or something, would have been VERY bad if I was driving more than 5mph. Out to car shop.....

My trap car that was supposed to make it through graduation next month just bit the dust. Ball joint separated from the tire or something, would have been VERY bad if I was driving more than 5mph. Out to car shop.....

Same thing happened to me when I was graduating. My car caught on fire and sort of exploded, though. In a Sam's Club parking lot. In front of hundreds of people. And I saw a fireman beat my car with an icepick.

It was cool.

Last edited:
Times 2, pls. How long is real world recharge time?
The Volt is an up-scaled Prius. I had a Prius before and I am averaging a similar MPG to my Prius which is around 53 MPG. The pro of having the Volt is the ride quality and handling is superior and worth the extra price plus if you can charge it often & commute under 50 mi a day, you can get a higher MPG than I do. There are many free public charge stations, I try to use one at work but it gets taken by Leafs many times.

Charge time. Using a public charge station 240v, it takes 4 hours and 20-30minutes for a full charge. OnStar sends me a text alert to let me know it is done charging. Using standard 120v outlet takes around 11 hours for a full charge, but the trick is to buy an adapter that fits into the dryer outlet to convert it to 240v, however it isn't the same power as the public charge stations so it takes 5 hours to charge to full at home using this method.

For me, the Volt makes more sense than a Model 3. I drive in 'bursts' meaning in one day, I may do 200+ miles. The electric motor is quite strong and you can feel the immediate power it gives you that gas engines cannot. The seats are comfy and the car has a very sleek design.

Those people in priuses and scions are grown ass men that don't give a damn what people think.

Hell, I'll drive around a fiat 500e if i can find one cheap enough.

And minivan too. Real men drive minivan and don't give a chit.

That being said. You were buy American only. You changed?

Same thing happened to me when I was graduating. My car caught on fire and sort of exploded, though. In a Sam's Club parking lot. In front of hundreds of people. And I saw a fireman beat my car with an icepick.

It was cool.
I remember that story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

If your area is not too hot, you are probably good to go to buy electric, but if you live in 90-120F summer, it will self discharge battery rapidly and degrade it really fast.

Then why is it when I build a tesla on their website and adjust the temp to higher temperatures it shows better battery life vs lower temperatures?

And minivan too. Real men drive minivan and don't give a chit.

That being said. You were buy American only. You changed?

They don't build anything in America anymore. Hyundai and Toyota build more **** here than they do now. It's sad. If you decrease US jobs, to hell with you. Ford and GMs are Mexican more and more. To hell with all of them.

Last edited:
Then why is it when I build a tesla on their website and adjust the temp to higher temperatures it shows better battery life vs lower temperatures?

It's pretty much universal knowledge battery life is shorten in high temperature... This is like asking if the earth orbits the sun... Ok, not that bad, maybe I am just the nerd XD

How long will electric vehicle batteries last? Tesla’s Roadster could be a guide - Torque News
Lithium Ion Batteries Can’t Stand the Heat

It's pretty much universal knowledge battery life is shorten in high temperature... This is like asking if the earth orbits the sun... Ok, not that bad, maybe I am just the nerd XD

How long will electric vehicle batteries last? Tesla’s Roadster could be a guide - Torque News

overall battery longevity will be shorter in hot temps...battery range between charges will be shorter in colder temps. Range is diminished by roughly 40% in below-zero temps. Takes a lot of energy to heat the cabin of a car when there is no internal combustion taking place. The Tesla isnt nearly as appealing to those of us in northern climates

I'm just curious why the miles/charge is superior at higher temps according to tesla and not some third party news source. It is universal knowledge that gas powered engine car batteries do poor in high temps, but these batteries seem to be more dynamic.

Prius is like something that a stay at home dad would drive lol.

What's wrong with being a SAHD? Dude, if I could find a woman willing to be my meal ticket I'd be the happiest guy in town!

2016 Subaru Forester. The AWD plus studded snows have saved me many a time on my commute to work on I80 in white outs. Before that a 2002 Honda CRV with AWD. Once I was stopped safely untouched in a 70 car pile up during a white out. Finally got to work 2 hours late. The only patient waiting impatiently in a freaking blizzard for me to arrive alive? Yep, you guessed it-Percocet :(