Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can we send our letters directly through accomas? I do not want to pay extra.

Never mind. Answered my question. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming it's because we were verified later? I submitted my app mid to late June. Fingers crossed for us!

Secondary submitted. Letters don't seem to be verified though, even though they're on both AACOMAS and I submitted through interfolio (anyone else have this issue?)

Definitely my top choice. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Just added this school - didn't realize they accepted Canadians until now :confused:

oGPA 3.45, sGPA 3.48, gradGPA 4.0, 29 and 504 MCAT, 2 publications + 2 in review (Research Master's Integrative Biosciences).

This program looks amazing; here's hoping! :)

does any accepted student know if this school is big on research?

Secondary submitted. Letters don't seem to be verified though, even though they're on both AACOMAS and I submitted through interfolio (anyone else have this issue?)

Definitely my top choice. Good luck everyone!
Same here. I submitted Secondary on 07/17. I emailed admissions this morning to ask if they've recieved my LOR. They replied with saying that the letters have been received. However, it will take 5-7 business days to "review". I think they probably meant "to be reviewed". I'm sure they get a gazillion emails asking the same question. So, I don't blame them for this typo (or, maybe it's not).

How did you guys answer the last question

Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?

Do I talk about my below than average MCAT or mention my underserved community status?

I wouldn't talk about your MCAT unless an extenuating circumstance caused you to score egregiously low (if that was the case, a retake would the solution, not an explanation). I would only discuss any glaring issues with your application, major gaps in education, non-tradition status, or academic blemishes that were a result of some personal difficulty. Otherwise, leave it blank
How did you guys answer the last question

Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?

Do I talk about my below than average MCAT or mention my underserved community status?

Members don't see this ad :)
Received secondary today!

Would tutoring experience count as teaching experience? I'm assuming no... Seems like they're asking about TA experience here if applicable...

Received secondary today!

Would tutoring experience count as teaching experience? I'm assuming no... Seems like they're asking about TA experience here if applicable...

it's ultimately up to you, but I think you could probably put it down. the worst thing that might happen is the person reading it going "oh, he/she misinterpreted the prompt, but good to know."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I was verified on July 14th and I haven't received a secondary or even an email that they received my application. Should I call them or wait another week?

Does this school have a large in-state preference? I saw that they accepted a majority of their students from California! Not sure how great my chances are of getting in!

does any accepted student know if this school is big on research?
When I interviewed there last year, the adcom that was interviewing me, when asked about research, said "there is some research done here, mostly with people off campus, but no, for the most part students don't do research."

When I interviewed there last year, the adcom that was interviewing me, when asked about research, said "there is some research done here, mostly with people off campus, but no, for the most part students don't do research."

wow they have an entire section on the application for research any my research experiences have been really big and so I thought that would matter but I guess not...damn it

wow they have an entire section on the application for research any my research experiences have been really big and so I thought that would matter but I guess not...damn it
It could be just the way that one adcom perceived it. Your research will still help you stand out i think

I was verified on July 14th and I haven't received a secondary or even an email that they received my application. Should I call them or wait another week?

I was verified on June 10th and didn't receive the secondary until yesterday. I called them earlier this week and they said they were a bit overwhelmed with applications and were trying to work through them.

Hope that helps!

Hey guys! For the teaching experience section, would you guys consider tutoring to count?

it's ultimately up to you, but I think you could probably put it down. the worst thing that might happen is the person reading it going "oh, he/she misinterpreted the prompt, but good to know."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys! For the teaching experience section, would you guys consider tutoring to count?

^see above

Hey!! For the question on "What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus?", do you guys just pick one point about the school and talk about it? or did you talk about the school in general and how those factors interest you?

I may be a little bit over-analytical to the question because it is asking "what is your specific interest..." instead of "why COMP-Pomona" or "what are your specific interests in..." haha

Hey!! For the question on "What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus?", do you guys just pick one point about the school and talk about it? or did you talk about the school in general and how those factors interest you?

I may be a little bit over-analytical to the question because it is asking "what is your specific interest..." instead of "why COMP-Pomona" or "what are your specific interests in..." haha

I just took it as a general "why western pomona" question, but if you have a specific point and can elaborate on it, it might also be a good approach.

I just took it as a general "why western pomona" question, but if you have a specific point and can elaborate on it, it might also be a good approach.
You have a cute dog btw. I see, I answered the questions like you as well. I don't think I can elaborate on one factor for the entire 1650 characters.

You have a cute dog btw. I see, I answered the questions like you as well. I don't think I can elaborate on one factor for the entire 1650 characters.

yeah, I think I talked about three specific points to use up most of the characters.

and thank you! it's actually my friend's baby maltipoo. I spoil him rotten.

Welcome :)
yeah I actually talked about 5 points all together because some points are actually inter-related lol

Did anyone receive a "complete" email after they submitted their secondary? I just received a generic email asking me to check if I have the prerequisites. Is that the same with anyone else?

Did anyone receive a "complete" email after they submitted their secondary? I just received a generic email asking me to check if I have the prerequisites. Is that the same with anyone else?
I got something similar to that, or maybe it was that. A bit confused, I logged in and checked my COMP applicant portal. Well, I spotted two items that needed my attention. One of them was a missing LOR, which I had to go back and confirm with my letter writer to make sure that they had been able to send it. As of now, I'm waiting the normal 5-7 business days for the letter to show up as "received" on my portal. So, I guess I would suggest doing the same. First, look to see if there are any items missing or incorrect on your applicant portal. If everything looks good, then I would call them and up and ask them if you are missing anything, just to confirm.

I never received a complete email, just checked on the portal and all my items had received dates next to them.

"Applications not completed within ten days will result in delayed processing."
I did not know about this until now. I submitted after 13 days. Anyone know how "delayed" I will be?

"Applications not completed within ten days will result in delayed processing."
I did not know about this until now. I submitted after 13 days. Anyone know how "delayed" I will be?
I would say don't worry too much! Last cycle: I also missed reading that and turned mine in about 15 days after. I got an interview! Went great. Got waitlisted, but didn't make the cut. So, I'm at it again this cycle. However, it does give people like you and me hope, in case we go over the "10 days".

Last edited:
Hey how do you guys answer the "fit" question?

Hey how do you guys answer the "fit" question?
legs-rotational-single-leg-deadlift-animated1.gif
This might do the trick! Jk, jk!!! If it helps: I took the route of highlighting my strengths as a student, person and as a professional, then I simply fit those attributes into the COMP puzzle. It was kind of easy for me, because I've had close contact with the school, students, physicians and staff of the school. I had several angles to work with. If you find yourself struggling to find your angles, I'd suggest reading up on the COMP program and dissecting it, until you find those crevices that you, and only YOU can fit into. Then, the essay will write itself.

This might do the trick! Jk, jk!!! If it helps: I took the route of highlighting my strengths as a student, person and as a professional, then I simply fit those attributes into the COMP puzzle. It was kind of easy for me, because I've had close contact with the school, students, physicians and staff of the school. I had several angles to work with. If you find yourself struggling to find your angles, I'd suggest reading up on the COMP program and dissecting it, until you find those crevices that you, and only YOU can fit into. Then, the essay will write itself.

hahah if this is the "fit" they were looking for, I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck. :roflcopter:

Had to email them today, marked incomplete with no science LOR, when 2 of my 3 are science? Hopefully it gets sorted quickly

good one ;)
Thanks! I actually finished writing that already but I still don't think it is good enough haha. The way I approach this question is to go through the website thoroughly and then pinpoint several student attributes that the school is looking for under the mission statement. I then fit myself into that. When you highlight your strengths as a person/student/professional, did you give examples and elaborate on them? or do you just state them? I feel like I have so much to highlight (not bragging) but with that characters limit its hard. Maybe I will only pick a few and talk about them lol

good one ;)
Thanks! I actually finished writing that already but I still don't think it is good enough haha. The way I approach this question is to go through the website thoroughly and then pinpoint several student attributes that the school is looking for under the mission statement. I then fit myself into that. When you highlight your strengths as a person/student/professional, did you give examples and elaborate on them? or do you just state them? I feel like I have so much to highlight (not bragging) but with that characters limit its hard. Maybe I will only pick a few and talk about them lol
lol!! Glad you liked it! As far as my essay, I had a couple main topics: one topic was on how it ALL began, my drive to become a DO. Fortunately for me, that was initially done at COMP during an open house. I attended because I was just curious. It changed my life, literally. Another main topic was my multiple points of contact toward COMP. I was so moved by the open house that I began shadowing COMP DO's and befriended COMP students. It all just felt right. Then, I concluded with my non-trad backround and professional career as a creative. I hope this helps. But, you sound like you understand your purpose, so I think you'll be find if you focus on COMP's mission and their core values. I simply started writing thinking about how I fit into that. That's what took me back to the thoughts of the first time I met COMP. Now, the two real questions are (in my humble opinion): after reading and becoming familiar with COMP's mission, where will it take you and how do you fit into that?

Anyone getting a service temporary unavailable for the secondary? It's been about 5 hours since it first happened...

Had to email them today, marked incomplete with no science LOR, when 2 of my 3 are science? Hopefully it gets sorted quickly
I had a similar situation. Turns out, because I'm a re-applicant, they need a new letter from another science instructor. They will NOT accept my previous letters from last cycle. So, if this is the case for you, I'd confirm with COMP first, then I'd contact another science instructor ASAP for new letter. Hope this helps :)

Turns out AACOMAS didn't "update" my application, so they could see that there were letters, but AACOMAS hadn't published them to the schools. Quick call and they should have fixed it, although on the western side I haven't seen it fixed yet. Also have two apps now, but haven't got the Lebanon secondary yet

If I was in the acknowledgements section of a paper, this is nowhere near getting published and should just not be mentioned for this section, right?

For the LOR, do you think it's ok to submit a LOR written by a professor that taught a non-pre-req course? The course was about regenerative medicine and I know that's not a pre-req but I really only wanted to submit this letter and my DO letter because they are my strongest letters. I have a letter from a professor that taught a lower division introductory biology course, but the letter is not that strong so I would rather not include it if I don't have to.

I haven't shadowed a DO, but I work for a primary care physician (MD). Do you guys think it would be better to talk about this experience (and how I want to seek other routes to treat pain) and why it makes me interested in osteopathic medicine?

I haven't shadowed a DO, but I work for a primary care physician (MD). Do you guys think it would be better to talk about this experience (and how I want to seek other routes to treat pain) and why it makes me interested in osteopathic medicine?
Last cycle I got invited to an interview with COMP and I only wrote about shadowing an MD, because I had not yet shadowed a DO. The topic wasn't even brought up in my interview. So, you'll be fine. But, if you have time to shadow one in the next week or so, I would do that instead.

Last edited:
submitted my app here 7/18 and haven't received any response from the school except for an invite to an open house in August via email. How long does it usually take to get a secondary?