Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone having trouble accessing the "Banapps" portal? It seems like the site has been down for a couple days.
I can't get in to pay my deposit. Keeps saying page can't be displayed. I was going to call today.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! I don't have the acceptance letter yet... did you already get yours?
I got accepted the same day as you did and got my letter the following Monday. My deposit is due in 4 days. I did interview 12/8, but I would maybe call and ask since we were both accepted on 2/9.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
X

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know the statistics for post-interview chances of acceptance for the February interviewees? I believe the admissions said they received roughly 5700 primaries and are interviewing around 300 this cycle; approximately 215 offers are given for 105 seats. Do those numbers sound reflective for anyone else? They said during my interview day that only 90 offers had been given out so far.

Does anyone know the statistics for post-interview chances of acceptance for the February interviewees? I believe the admissions said they received roughly 5700 primaries and are interviewing around 300 this cycle; approximately 215 offers are given for 105 seats. Do those numbers sound reflective for anyone else? They said during my interview day that only 90 offers had been given out so far.

When I interviewed in January, we were told that they accepted a lot of September and January interviewees. Your numbers sound correct though.

When I interviewed in January, we were told that they accepted a lot of September and January interviewees. Your numbers sound correct though.
How many from September and January? Roughly equal?

How many from September and January? Roughly equal?

Not sure about the exact numbers, unfortunately. They didn't disclose that, but they did mention that they accept quite a bit of students from those months. You should be fine though! Good luck!

Not sure about the exact numbers, unfortunately. They didn't disclose that, but they did mention that they accept quite a bit of students from those months. You should be fine though! Good luck!
Thanks! Interviewed Feb 11th; should be hearing back within the next week and half!

I see. I agree medical school curriculum is similar between the different tiers of school, but is the clinical exposure competitive with allopathic schools? How can a residency program measure the competitiveness of a DO student with no university exposure with an MD student who has that exposure? I'm just worried if I decide to go here for family reasons, I won't be able to match in a good residency down the line.

You being able to match into a good residency is all dependent on you and your work ethic, not on university exposure. Aside from core rotations, you are welcome to set up rotations at other academic institutions if you wish. We've had past students rotate at Mt Sinai, Sloan-Kettering, UW, OHSU, UCSF, etc, etc. Residencies measure the competitiveness of any student by their board scores, LORs, research experience, personality, etc,- not where they went to school. That being said, if you don't think COMP-NW is a good fit, then it probably isn't. If you're going to thrive in a school with a university hospital, then go for it. If you're going to be the best student you can be if you're near family, then come here.

Here is a link to the National Resident Match Program Director survey on what they look for in applicants according to specialty and overall: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

Yep!

I believe they give you about a month from the date on the acceptance letter
Read the letter carefully. My acceptance letter came yesterday and gave me 1 week to place my deposit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the letter carefully. My acceptance letter came yesterday and gave me 1 week to place my deposit.

yeah sorry totally forgot that was back in december when I got my letter, so it is probably different now, I'd say assume I was wrong early as to not miss your date!

Does anyone know if they've sent out rejections? I'm still on hold since October :/

Anyone else from the 02/11 interview date starting to get antsy? I'm not sure if the 15 business days thing will hold true, but it's coming up.

Anyone else from the 02/11 interview date starting to get antsy? I'm not sure if the 15 business days thing will hold true, but it's coming up.

It holds true, and then maybe a few extra days in my case...but it will come, and Western accepts more interviewees than it rejects.

I interviewed on a Sat and didn't get the call till 3 Thursdays after.

Just got the email that I'm on the alternate list. I interviewed on 02/11.

Just got the email that I'm on the alternate list. I interviewed on 02/11.
Myself as well. Based on the email, it sounds like nobody who interviewed 2/11 or later was straight up accepted. Glad you have another acceptance to resort to if this school doesn't pull through :)

Myself as well. Based on the email, it sounds like nobody who interviewed 2/11 or later was straight up accepted. Glad you have another acceptance to resort to if this school doesn't pull through :)
Do you know if they rank people on the alternate list? I heard from someone that they received an email indicating that they are highly ranked alternate candidate from Western U.

Has anyone made a facebook page yet? All I can find is the WesternU comp nw page.

Interviewing this Saturday March 11. A bit nervous for such a late interview. Accepting all positive vibes! Congrats and good luck to all :)

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewing this Saturday March 11. A bit nervous for such a late interview. Accepting all positive vibes! Congrats and good luck to all :)
Any advice on the interview or any pointers from you interview at this institution?

Any advice on the interview or any pointers from you interview at this institution?
They have a no disclosure agreement, so not to much that I can share beyond be yourself, know why you want this, and I rather enjoyed my interview at Western as it was low stress (at least in my case).

I found the Interview section for the UWSOM to be helpful in applying to all schools. Practice your "why do you want to be a doc" or "tell us about yourself" question that interviewers love to ask out loud either to the mirror or someone else. It's ok to say, "let me think about that for a sec". Smile and make eye contact when you respond.

Have you guys made one yet? I see a fb page for the class of 2021 but I am unable to join it.

I just realized this page was made by students already attending the school. I asked the admin if and when we will be invited to join.

Have you guys made one yet? I see a fb page for the class of 2021 but I am unable to join it.
im trying to get a hold of the previous years class president. He/she's supposed to make it for us I guess.

Its under comp-nw class of 2021. I think it's fairly new. Only 3 people are a part of it.
I tried that page, but it kept asking me for a code it's supposed to send to my western email. But it never sent it. How is it March and we don't have a page yet? Haha

im trying to get a hold of the previous years class president. He/she's supposed to make it for us I guess.
Thats what I was told as well. I agree! It would be very helpful to get it up and running so students can find roommates and get aquainted. Let me know what you find out :)

I tried that page, but it kept asking me for a code it's supposed to send to my western email. But it never sent it. How is it March and we don't have a page yet? Haha

The admin on the page contacted me back saying once the final roster is made for the class of 2021, we will be sent an invitation to join the fb page :)

The admin on the page contacted me back saying once the final roster is made for the class of 2021, we will be sent an invitation to join the fb page :)
Pshhh. That's inconvenient for those of us trying to get housing and roommates set up.

Anybody thinking of signing up for the intensive summer anatomy course?

aren't you selected for it?
No, you send Dr Merbs an email asking if you qualify. I think it's gpa 3.4 and 506 mcat. But it sounds like he's willing to bend if you're really close.

No, you send Dr Merbs an email asking if you qualify. I think it's gpa 3.4 and 506 mcat. But it sounds like he's willing to bend if you're really close.

Oh good to know!! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Alright people, rogue 2021 is being shut down by the powers that be. Looks like COMP-NW Class of 2021 is the official page after all. Contact Ryan Emery if you can't get in.