Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am moving up with my S.O. too, and will prolly adopt a dog (corgi hopefully, it's my dream). I also have pet rats lol. I am happy most of the places accept pets :)
Price wise, Lodges is very expensive! But is literally across the street.

Corgis are awesome!!!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I am note sure. I only accepted Western's acceptance. Does anyone know?

I do know that AACOMAS drop date is May 15.

"After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions." - AACOM

Yeah I noticed that too. I sent an email to Jeannie saying something like... "Just wanted to verbally declare my intent to roll, already submitted my deposits and working on my immunization/background check, but no response." Did you do anything like that?

Yeah I already had one series of three. Titer said I was non reactive. But I called and they said I needed a second set of three to prove I'm a non converter.

I was a nonreacter last year and got a booster, and praying that my titer is going to be reactive this time. Do you need to complete the second 3 series prior to matriculation? Cause that take's months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a nonreacter last year and got a booster, and praying that my titer is going to be reactive this time. Do you need to complete the second 3 series prior to matriculation? Cause that take's months.
Yeah I know. They are fine with it taking months as long as I have initiated the series before maritculation. Which I have :) it's just annoying to have to get the series again

pretty awesome to wake up to that orientation email this morning. See you guys soon!!

Reactions: 1 users
pretty awesome to wake up to that orientation email this morning. See you guys soon!!
Whats even better is that classes start august 14, i thought it was august 7... (i think i read that on the website)

Reactions: 2 users
Whats even better is that classes start august 14, i thought it was august 7... (i think i read that on the website)
I thought it was July 31st lol. It's really neat that they give us so long to acclimate and get to know one another.

Reactions: 1 user
It's cool that they try to tailor the faculty mentor to each student.

That's the vibe I got from the email

I asked about this when I interviewed and it does seem like the faculty is really committed, so I do think they are mentors somewhat. A few people on the faculty have won AOA mentor of the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to confirm ISAC invitation received and I will be goin! see whoever there

Well i mean comparatively to other schools who take like embryo, genetics, microbio etc etc the first semester. Haha. No doubt it will still be hard as hell.

It will be. Every class you take you will think "how can it get any harder?" It does, however you get used to it, and you get better at studying. Enjoy all of the free time you have during anatomy, you will miss it (currently in neuro).

Also, don't buy books yet. Wait until the first couple weeks after orientation, 2nd years will tell you what we recommend. The only books I have purchased are First Aid, and Pathoma w/ subscription.

It will be. Every class you take you will think "how can it get any harder?" It does, however you get used to it, and you get better at studying. Enjoy all of the free time you have during anatomy, you will miss it (currently in neuro).

Also, don't buy books yet. Wait until the first couple weeks after orientation, 2nd years will tell you what we recommend. The only books I have purchased are First Aid, and Pathoma w/ subscription.[/
You, and the rest of your class, didn't buy anything for anatomy?

Hello all! Long time lurker here, and I am incredibly excited to add another data point regarding waitlist movement. I was pulled off of the alternate list this afternoon. I interviewed on 2/11 and was waitlisted on 3/2. Looking forward to joining you guys in the fall!

Reactions: 6 users
Do we have "class" everyday? Lectures are streamed and not-mandatory but do we have off days? I know some other med schools do... but not sure if COMP-NW does or not. Can any current students comment?

You, and the rest of your class, didn't buy anything for anatomy?

There are Netters Atlases in lab (soiled for at each table) and clean copies of various other atlases in the lab as well (no gloves allowed on them). Any other needed equipment you will buy during orientation week.

The only thing I purchased were the netters flash cards

Do we have "class" everyday? Lectures are streamed and not-mandatory but do we have off days? I know some other med schools do... but not sure if COMP-NW does or not. Can any current students comment?

It really varies depending on the course. Anatomy will have lab most days, Mondays and Tuesdays are OMM and clinical skills required days. Some classes have small/large group, some classes meet once a week, once a month, etc

There are Netters Atlases in lab (soiled for at each table) and clean copies of various other atlases in the lab as well (no gloves allowed on them). Any other needed equipment you will buy during orientation week.

The only thing I purchased were the netters flash cards

It really varies depending on the course. Anatomy will have lab most days, Mondays and Tuesdays are OMM and clinical skills required days. Some classes have small/large group, some classes meet once a week, once a month, etc

Any idea about doing research on campus? Do they allow it first semester/is it easy to join professors' labs?

Piggybacking on TitanScout... I too was moved from the waitlist today! Got the call around 4 PM today :)

Interviewed 2/11, ("highly ranked") alternate status early March.

Very excited to meet you wonderful people this fall!

Reactions: 2 users
Piggybacking on TitanScout... I too was moved from the waitlist today! Got the call around 4 PM today :)

Interviewed 2/11, ("highly ranked") alternate status early March.

Very excited to meet you wonderful people this fall!
How did you know you were highly ranked?

How did you know you were highly ranked?
The email I received in early March (3/2) started with "On behalf of Western University, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, are very pleased to inform you that the COMP-Northwest Admissions committee has selected you as a highly ranked alternate candidate for the class of DO2021 entering in August, 2017."

The email I received in early March (3/2) started with "On behalf of Western University, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, are very pleased to inform you that the COMP-Northwest Admissions committee has selected you as a highly ranked alternate candidate for the class of DO2021 entering in August, 2017."
Interesting. I wonder how many are on the "highly ranked" list. Hopefully I get a spot even though I wasn't on the highly ranked list!

Interesting. I wonder how many are on the "highly ranked" list. Hopefully I get a spot even though I wasn't on the highly ranked list!

I was also pulled from the "highly ranked" list as indicated in my initial email informing me of my status after my interview. I'm not sure how many are in the "highly ranked" group, but on their website they listed around 60 students on average are placed on the alternate list. Not sure what to make of that regarding how many are highly ranked, but I truly hope for the best for you guys!

I was also pulled from the "highly ranked" list as indicated in my initial email informing me of my status after my interview. I'm not sure how many are in the "highly ranked" group, but on their website they listed around 60 students on average are placed on the alternate list. Not sure what to make of that regarding how many are highly ranked, but I truly hope for the best for you guys!
Thanks so much! I hope we see each other in the Fall!

That's so messed up! The first 3/4 of that email make it sound like you're accepted.

That's so messed up! The first 3/4 of that email make it sound like you're accepted.
Hahaha right? This was received in March though, so I was a little realistic with my expectations. They did say that there were seats available in the class on interview day. I'm not sure if anyone was accepted outright, but my assumption was that they accept onto the wait list and then proceed with movements (lol) in late April.

When do we receive our aid packages?

I'm looking to apply here for this coming cycle, but I don't have any DO shadowing and it's been really tough for me to find someone. I saw one of the secondaries asks about DO shadowing - should I even bother applying here?

I'm looking to apply here for this coming cycle, but I don't have any DO shadowing and it's been really tough for me to find someone. I saw one of the secondaries asks about DO shadowing - should I even bother applying here?
At their in-house premed events, Dr. Pham always says most of their admissions committee just want to see clinical experience and it usually doesn't matter whether it's MD or DO (although sometimes certain individuals prefer to see DO experiences but he suggests that it's rare there.) What's more important to them is that they see that you actually know what you're getting into and that your PS and activities show why you want to be a doctor. If you're willing to study in Lebanon, OR, it is definitely worth it for you to apply.

At their in-house premed events, Dr. Pham always says most of their admissions committee just want to see clinical experience and it usually doesn't matter whether it's MD or DO (although sometimes certain individuals prefer to see DO experiences but he suggests that it's rare there.) What's more important to them is that they see that you actually know what you're getting into and that your PS and activities show why you want to be a doctor. If you're willing to study in Lebanon, OR, it is definitely worth it for you to apply.

Great, thank you! I have a decent amount of hours for clinical volunteering, MD Shadowing, and grew up in Portland so hopefully that will suffice.

Hello all soooooo I just received word that I'll be joining you all this upcoming cycle!!! I'm so stoked but damn I'm gonna need some help figuring out this transition in two months. Anybody need a roommate or know any groups I can join to start the process. Thanks!

Hello all soooooo I just received word that I'll be joining you all this upcoming cycle!!! I'm so stoked but damn I'm gonna need some help figuring out this transition in two months. Anybody need a roommate or know any groups I can join to start the process. Thanks!

Congrats and welcome to the COMP-NW Class of 2021! Have you tried joining the COMP-NW Class of 2021 Facebook group or the COMP-NW 2020-2021 Class Connections Facebook group? There are other classmates from previous years and incoming students who have been posting ads for housing options and potential roommates. I suggest checking those pages out!

Congratulations! Did your alternate list email state that you were highly ranked?

Congrats and welcome to the COMP-NW Class of 2021! Have you tried joining the COMP-NW Class of 2021 Facebook group or the COMP-NW 2020-2021 Class Connections Facebook group? There are other classmates from previous years and incoming students who have been posting ads for housing options and potential roommates. I suggest checking those pages out!
Thank you. Once my deposit is in I will have access :)

Anyone have any opinions on the health insurance they offer? Why did they encourage us not to get it?

Not entirely sure, the out of pocket maximum is pretty huge, but then again if you apply for financial aid with most health organizations they will either reduce your charges or eliminate them all together if you are low income (most of us are).

On a related issue, has any med student parents out there qualified for Medicaid insurance for themselves, family members?

Hey everyone! I have a quick question..

A couple of my friends who will be first years at Lebanon already received their financial aid award letters (they aren't in ISAC). I have not yet and it's making me a bit worried. Has anyone else not gotten it? I know they received my FAFSA as I got an email about it...