Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted. Interviewed 12/8. Still waiting to hear back from others. Currently accepted at DMU, COMP-NW, and NSU. Not sure which one I want out of those three.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak to the rotations, and I'm actually curious myself. They do have ties to the west coast because of the pamona school if that's comforting at all. They have core sites, too. Personally though, I'd go MD no questions asked.
I was leaning more MD anyway. This was my safety school and one of the weaker programs I applied to, but that's why I asked if the rotations were redeeming in anyway. I don't think I could live with the "DO bias" either. I asked one of the docs I work with how it is out there for DOs and she told me she preferred the MD students rotating with her. She doesn't know what to expect from the DO students since some are good, and some are bad, while her MD students are pretty consistent. I don't think I should take a risk with my career just so I can stay close to home.

Interviewed 1/21, got the acceptance call today! Woooooo!

Reactions: 2 users
Mine wasn't, and I also interviewed on 1/21.
Gotcha, thanks! I haven't received a phone call and there's still nothing on my portal. Hope this doesn't mean I'm waitlisted or rejected...

I was leaning more MD anyway. This was my safety school and one of the weaker programs I applied to, but that's why I asked if the rotations were redeeming in anyway. I don't think I could live with the "DO bias" either. I asked one of the docs I work with how it is out there for DOs and she told me she preferred the MD students rotating with her. She doesn't know what to expect from the DO students since some are good, and some are bad, while her MD students are pretty consistent. I don't think I should take a risk with my career just so I can stay close to home.
Their WA rotations are great. They have affiliations with all the major hospitals in Tacoma (Tacoma General, Mary Bridge Children's, St Joes). Western students have a track record of matching into residency programs at Cleveland Clinic, UCSF, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how the students perform on their boards? Is there a link someone can direct me to?

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot, how does the anatomy lab go? I don't remember seeing the anatomy lab in great detail. I am sure it is nice - just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turning down my acceptance here in favor of RVU... it was a tough decision but I hope someone gets my spot who really wants it!

Buyer's remorse. After more consideration and talking with a couple docs that I work with now, I am going to WesternU-COMP!

Reactions: 3 users
Buyer's remorse. After more consideration and talking with a couple docs that I work with now, I am going to WesternU-COMP!

So wait did you put the deposit down for both schools? and what made you change your mind... I mean what kinds of convos did you have with your docs?

Their WA rotations are great. They have affiliations with all the major hospitals in Tacoma (Tacoma General, Mary Bridge Children's, St Joes). Western students have a track record of matching into residency programs at Cleveland Clinic, UCSF, etc.
Thanks for that. What match list are you seeing? I see COMP's match list, but it doesn't separate the COMP-NW students from the COMP students. Do we know if COMP-NW students are matching into these programs?

Does anyone know where COMP-NW rotate? Any university-affiliated programs? The hospitals you listed aren't even university-affiliated.

So wait did you put the deposit down for both schools? and what made you change your mind... I mean what kinds of convos did you have with your docs?
Yeah, I want to know what your docs said. Mine has taken DO students (wouldn't say if they're COMP-NW students, but included them in the 'DO umbrella'), and didn't have the best things to say about them.

I imagine medical school is just like undergraduate school. It doesn't matter if you go to a state school, or a competitive private school - you'll use the same textbooks and learn the same stuff. Carbon hybridization is carbon hybridization whether it is taught at Harvard or your State school.

I imagine medical school is just like undergraduate school. It doesn't matter if you go to a state school, or a competitive private school - you'll use the same textbooks and learn the same stuff. Carbon hybridization is carbon hybridization whether it is taught at Harvard or your State school.
I see. I agree medical school curriculum is similar between the different tiers of school, but is the clinical exposure competitive with allopathic schools? How can a residency program measure the competitiveness of a DO student with no university exposure with an MD student who has that exposure? I'm just worried if I decide to go here for family reasons, I won't be able to match in a good residency down the line.

Where did you get accepted to on the allopathic side? What do you want to do as a specialty?

I see. I agree medical school curriculum is similar between the different tiers of school, but is the clinical exposure competitive with allopathic schools? How can a residency program measure the competitiveness of a DO student with no university exposure with an MD student who has that exposure? I'm just worried if I decide to go here for family reasons, I won't be able to match in a good residency down the line.

Go MD if you can if you are so worried. Going DO in general will be slightly harder but people match into competitive residencies every year out of COMP and COMP NW, are you a person? If so, then you can also match competitively. If any someone can do it why can't you?

and what is "university exposure"? you get clinical expsoure no matter where you go.

2,000 dollars to hold my spot? Holy brutal....

seriously... the way mine played out i had to pay two 2k spot holds... smh taking the L but oh well
Yep, I've already paid my spot at PNWU but I'm leaning towards this school because I know I'd get to see a lot at its Tacoma WA rotation.

Yeah, I want to know what your docs said. Mine has taken DO students (wouldn't say if they're COMP-NW students, but included them in the 'DO umbrella'), and didn't have the best things to say about them.

Luckily the first deposit for RVU was only $250 so I didn't lose out on too much money. Most of the docs I talked to had heard of WesternU though not specifically the COMP-NW branch, but almost all had heard of RVU because of the whole "for-profit" drama when it started up. Personally they said they don't have a problem with it, but they said that stuck-up/older MDs who may already have bias against DOs will have even more bias if you attended the only for-profit medical school in the U.S. At the end of the day they said to go where I felt most comfortable but if it were them then they would go with COMP-NW as WesternU has been in business since '77 and thus has a more established curriculum, rotations, residency placements, and alumni network.

Thanks for that. What match list are you seeing? I see COMP's match list, but it doesn't separate the COMP-NW students from the COMP students. Do we know if COMP-NW students are matching into these programs?

Does anyone know where COMP-NW rotate? Any university-affiliated programs? The hospitals you listed aren't even university-affiliated.
Went there today for another look. I didn't get a school specific residency match because the schools have the same curriculum so their grads are viewed the same way. You'll just be viewed as a Western student. Just like UW has students that do they're first two years in Spokane WA and stream lectures from Seattle. He did said 4 people matched into ortho this past year from COMPNW.

If you kept the binder they gave you when you interviewed it has all the locations. As to affiliation, I know the Tacoma location has UW students rotate there, but it's not like UWMC, Seattle Children's or Harborview. I'm from Tacoma so I know I'll get to see a lot at those hospitals given their location and population. You'll find big name people for possible references and big name research at the university associated hospitals, so that's a definite plus. Up to you.
Update: talked to a 4th year who rotated at Tacoma. Sounds like it isn't the best rotation (only St Joes). But students do rotate at OHSU.

Last edited:
Is anyone from 1/21 still waiting to hear back? I'm guessing it's alternate or rejection since others were accepted last week from that date.

The only university medical center in Oregon is OHSU, with their own medical school. Their students rotate throughout Oregon, often with COMP-NW students as well.

fantastic! cant wait to meet you guys. Have you guys started working on your background/vaccination forms or found places to live? idk if you're still holding out for another school...

i can't wait to meet you guys! I am procrastinating all the forms.. we have to have had a physical within six months so i'll probably go next month and do it all then.

i can't wait to meet you guys! I am procrastinating all the forms.. we have to have had a physical within six months so i'll probably go next month and do it all then.
true true. its not too much paperwork... its just that its kinda tedious haha. like gathering everything sending it in, making sure everything works and whatnot lol. but ohh well. one of the biggest concerns will probably be housing..

true true. its not too much paperwork... its just that its kinda tedious haha. like gathering everything sending it in, making sure everything works and whatnot lol. but ohh well. one of the biggest concerns will probably be housing..

I just put down my second deposit Wednesday... I am still looking to get into my state schools, but this is definitely my third choice, and I am excited about learning OMM if this is the school I do end up at. One of the reasons I'm holding out on a state school is so that I don't have to pick up my family and move us all, but if I need to COMP-NW will be worth it and I am excited to meet you all.

I just put down my second deposit Wednesday... I am still looking to get into my state schools, but this is definitely my third choice, and I am excited about learning OMM if this is the school I do end up at. One of the reasons I'm holding out on a state school is so that I don't have to pick up my family and move us all, but if I need to COMP-NW will be worth it and I am excited to meet you all.
+1

I'm going! Just got my physical and blood draw this Wednesday, housing dosnt look too bad

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone having trouble accessing the "Banapps" portal? It seems like the site has been down for a couple days.