Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I interviewed on 12/8 and they sent me an email to do the MMI portion over Skype in order to complete the interview so I may be forwarded to committee.

Why didnt you do the mmi on 12/8?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students speak to the opti west residencies? I don't totally get it.

Hey everyone! I just paid the full deposit for this school.. what are the next steps in this process? Just sort of completing those formed for a physical and immunization and whatever that were provided with a link on the acceptance letter? Should we be expecting more emails once we've accepted?

Reactions: 1 user
Turning down my acceptance here in favor of RVU... it was a tough decision but I hope someone gets my spot who really wants it!

Reactions: 1 users
people interviewing on Feb 11, is there any social pizza night on Friday? It wasn't mentioned on the confirmation email that I received.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I just withdrew my acceptance, good luck to everyone!

can any 3rd or 4th year students comment on the rotation sites? what they like, what they don't like? I'm having trouble deciding is COMP NW is a good fit for me in regards to rotation sites because lets face it... exposure is key.

I know this has been addressed before, but anyone care to weigh their pros and cons of PNWU vs COMP-NW?

I'm torn between thinking that PNWU has more to offer on campus, but that the COMP-NW rotational sites are better which is more important in my opinion. Thoughts? I would really appreciate any and all opinions.

I know this has been addressed before, but anyone care to weigh their pros and cons of PNWU vs COMP-NW?

I'm torn between thinking that PNWU has more to offer on campus, but that the COMP-NW rotational sites are better which is more important in my opinion. Thoughts? I would really appreciate any and all opinions.

Why do you say rotation sites are better?

On what basis?

Exactly my same thoughts on the matter. I chose COMP-NW over PNWU because I find the rotations to be vastly more important. I also felt more enthusiasm and drive from the faculty at COMP-NW. Also WesternU as a whole seems much more established especially considering their Pomona campus. They are always keeping our best interest in mind (not that PNWU doesn't, it's a great school) by videoing in classes from Pomona campus if the faculty there is better with the subject. I really dislike the fact that WesternU's facilities, including anatomy lab, aren't open for 24-hour access to us, but I will have to manage this.

On what basis?

In my opinion, it seems that getting an education in a larger city (Portland/Tacoma via COMP-NW) with greater diversity in patient demographics and greater case diversity is better than in a smaller town i.e. Mount Vernon. Based on the point system at PNWU I’m pretty confident I’d get placed in Mount Vernon.

Exactly my same thoughts on the matter. I chose COMP-NW over PNWU because I find the rotations to be vastly more important. I also felt more enthusiasm and drive from the faculty at COMP-NW. Also WesternU as a whole seems much more established especially considering their Pomona campus. They are always keeping our best interest in mind (not that PNWU doesn't, it's a great school) by videoing in classes from Pomona campus if the faculty there is better with the subject. I really dislike the fact that WesternU's facilities, including anatomy lab, aren't open for 24-hour access to us, but I will have to manage this.
Couldn't agree with you more on all these points.

In my opinion, it seems that getting an education in a larger city (Portland/Tacoma via COMP-NW) with greater diversity in patient demographics and greater case diversity is better than in a smaller town i.e. Mount Vernon. Based on the point system at PNWU I’m pretty confident I’d get placed in Mount Vernon.

True. I just hope i get a chance to do rotations in portland opposed to smaller cities i.e. salem or corvallis.

Has anyone from the 1/21 interview heard back yet?

Has anyone from the 1/21 interview heard back yet?

Just keep checking your portal. I interviewed that day, but I got accepted to Pomona yesterday so I'm out of the running for Lebanon. It took Pomona ~1 week longer to get back to me than they said it would on interview day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just keep checking your portal. I interviewed that day, but I got accepted to Pomona yesterday so I'm out of the running for Lebanon. It took Pomona ~1 week longer to get back to me than they said it would on interview day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Has anyone heard from 12/8??? If 1/21 hears back first I'll be quite sad...

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back? I interviewed on 1/21.

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back? I interviewed on 1/21.
I was under the impression it took 2 weeks, but applicants who interviewed on 12/8 are still waiting. So I'm not sure what is going on. I'm assuming next week everyone will hopefully hear.

I was under the impression it took 2 weeks, but applicants who interviewed on 12/8 are still waiting. So I'm not sure what is going on. I'm assuming next week everyone will hopefully hear.
Please please let us hear next week!!! Longest two months ever.

Check your portals. I got a decision. :)

Congrats!! :) My portal is blank.
Weird. I'm not sure I want to go here. Did anyone get a tough interviewer? I don't know if I want to go here if faculty are rude to people interviewing. I have other offers. Anyone know if that's common?

Also, what do people think about the rotations? Redflag is the school doesn't have its own hospital like allopathic schools. Do you think that'll hurt our chances matching for residencies?

Anyone know if COMP-NW is gonna make a FB page, I want to start looking for roommates and such...

Reactions: 2 users
Weird. I'm not sure I want to go here. Did anyone get a tough interviewer? I don't know if I want to go here if faculty are rude to people interviewing. I have other offers. Anyone know if that's common?

Hey! I actually got the opposite feeling. My interviewer was not faculty (local physician), but he made me feel welcome and calm. I get that doesn't help with your decision, but this might-both the dean (Dr. Crone) in 2016 and Dr. Pham in 2007 won the AOA mentor of the year award. Dr Pham has also been in the AOA mentor hall of fame for four years. It may be worth looking into the history of some of the other faculty. To me, it seemed like they wanted us to succeed even throughout the interview and I don't think that will stop once we matriculate.

Also, what do people think about the rotations? Redflag is the school doesn't have its own hospital like allopathic schools. Do you think that'll hurt our chances matching for residencies?
Almost no DO schools have their own hospitals.

My interviewers were nice, but I have had tough interviewers in the past. I always thought they were "testing" us. But I'm not too sure. I'm sorry you had a bad experience :(

Almost no DO schools have their own hospitals.
Yeah, I get that. I'm just worried since this is a new school and if I go here, a residency program will see no affiliated hospital. Anyone have any idea how the rotations are? Any MS2+? I wouldn't want a weak clinical education that pigeonholes me in undesirable residencies. I have a couple allopoathic acceptances in the Midwest, but I'm not from there, and would rather stay close to home.

Yeah, I get that. I'm just worried since this is a new school and if I go here, a residency program will see no affiliated hospital. Anyone have any idea how the rotations are? Any MS2+? I wouldn't want a weak clinical education that pigeonholes me in undesirable residencies. I have a couple allopoathic acceptances in the Midwest, but I'm not from there, and would rather stay close to home.
I can't speak to the rotations, and I'm actually curious myself. They do have ties to the west coast because of the pamona school if that's comforting at all. They have core sites, too. Personally though, I'd go MD no questions asked.