2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is my #1 choice and I'm currently on the alternate list. I've sent a letter of intent, but am unsure of what else (aside from sit on my butt and wait in agony šŸ˜­) I can do to increase my chances of getting that coveted A. I don't really have any meaningful updates to share with them as I've been doing the same activities since my interview. Should I email them so they see I'm still interested (and alive), or would that be overkill? Any suggestions? TIA

Members don't see this ad.

This is my #1 choice and I'm currently on the alternate list. I've sent a letter of intent, but am unsure of what else (aside from sit on my butt and wait in agony šŸ˜­) I can do to increase my chances of getting that coveted A. I don't really have any meaningful updates to share with them as I've been doing the same activities since my interview. Should I email them so they see I'm still interested (and alive), or would that be overkill? Any suggestions? TIA
How long has it been since you sent a letter of intent or otherwise corresponded with them? If it's been a few weeks or more than a month, I say go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@snowcrawler85 How helpful have you found the iPad to be during the school year? I am doing ISAC this Summer and I am wondering if I should get the less powerful one through school or if I should just buy my own. Any recommendations?

Is the alternate list different than the waitlist? what was the wording in your update?
The school made it sound like their alternate list is equivalent to that of a waitlist at other schools and their waitlist is much much smaller and those people have a much higher chance at matriculating into the class. Waitlist has priority over alternate.

Reactions: 2 users
@snowcrawler85 How helpful have you found the iPad to be during the school year? I am doing ISAC this Summer and I am wondering if I should get the less powerful one through school or if I should just buy my own. Any recommendations?
I only use my iPad for Anki and to take notes through noteability. Unless you feel like you need to use it for things other than school, the iPad we get works just fine. I bought a new Mac before I started and glad I did since I hate taking exams on iPads and we have to have a computer for some of the exams anyway. My iPad was a gift though (I think you guys end up paying for it through FA?) but itā€™s worked great for my needs. I use my Mac to watch lectures/videos 10X more than my iPad so make sure you have a good computer.

Reactions: 1 users
Feeling anxious that no one here has said anything recently about being pulled off the waitlist šŸ˜­ trying not to freak out too much until like the end of May, but itā€™s difficult

Feeling anxious that no one here has said anything recently about being pulled off the waitlist šŸ˜­ trying not to freak out too much until like the end of May, but itā€™s difficult
i know of one person who got off the waitlist a couple of weeks ago :)

Just an fyi I heard back that it's likely alternates may not hear back until late June/July for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the acceptance call! Interviewed on 2/13 and I have been on the waitlist.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone know if people are taken off the WL by order of when they were placed on it?

Congrats!!! Do you know if you planning to enroll?
Yes, I am planning on enrolling! I also am not sure if they take people off the WL based on any order. I did contact Donna earlier stating that I am very interested in joining the class, so I am not sure if that had any impact.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I am planning on enrolling! I also am not sure if they take people off the WL based on any order. I did contact Donna earlier stating that I am very interested in joining the class, so I am not sure if that had any impact.
Cant wait to see you in the fall classmate!

• Care
Does anyone know if people are taken off the WL by order of when they were placed on it?
I have no idea for sure, but it seems that way looking through this thread. Hopefully our time is coming soon :D

• Care
This, right here!! Great work and welcome to the family!!!!

• Care
Hoping all the best for everyone on this thread. I've been following since November when I got placed on the alternate list :) hoping for some movement over the next few months

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed on 3/13 and waitlisted on 4/5. Just got a call for an open seat, which I declined because I have an acceptance to a school closer to home. Hoping that seat goes to one of you! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone received their financial aid info?
Donā€™t expect this till late May/June but there are pretty accurate cost of attendance, tuition, and how much money youā€™ll get for cost of living online. If you have any specific questions, I can maybe help.

Does anybody know if classes are returning to in person in the Fall? Will all classes be mandatory? How many hours per week are spent in lecture/labs?

also, can any current students please message me? I was fortunately just accepted and have a few questions about housing.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if classes are returning to in person in the Fall? Will all classes be mandatory? How many hours per week are spent in lecture/labs?

also, can any current students please message me? I was fortunately just accepted and have a few questions about housing.
Congrats on your A! Were you accepted from the WL? If so, when did you interview and put on the WL?

Hey! I donā€™t know about if classes will be mandatory. But I do know they will go to a hybrid approach. Theyā€™ve let us know that OMM and patient encounters will be in person again, and if something can be virtual (I.e. some meetings) then they will be.

There was an email that did say we had to be within driving distance of Lebanon by August 2nd. So I am guessing that most is mandatory. They said they are doing a hybrid approach but that a lot of stuff would be back in person.

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday, was a tough thing to do, hopefully, one of you will get a call, good luck!

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday, was a tough thing to do, hopefully, one of you will get a call, good luck!
As someone on the waitlist, THANK YOU! and good luck with your med school adventure!

• Care
@current students:

perhaps this has been asked before, but what are the research opportunities like? What have students pursuing more competitive specialties been doing extracurricularly?

Thanks in advance :)

I sent in a letter of interest today, so hopefully that does something! I put it in the supplemental materials section in my portal though, and Iā€™m not sure if that was the right place

I sent in a letter of interest today, so hopefully that does something! I put it in the supplemental materials section in my portal though, and Iā€™m not sure if that was the right place
yep, thats the right place!

The plan is the return to campus, I believe vaccinations for covid will be required (unless you have valid health issues).

classes are optional for most part. How to be dr class (CMR) and OMM are mandatory 1-5pm Monday and Tuesday. Youā€™ll probably have mandatory classes 8/9am-1pm on Fridays for group discussion and quizzes. Also guest lectures = mandatory lectures at random times (not regularly)

you will be in anatomy lab for 2-4 hours once every two weeks, not sure on frequency, thatā€™s mandatory as well either on Wednesday or Thursday

Is there a group for accepted students?
ā€œYesā€ but I donā€™t think Facebook page is active yet. Iā€™m sure it will be soon. Student government opens Facebook page once class list is 75% ish finalized. Youā€™ll get an email to western email when itā€™s open and how to join

ā€œYesā€ but I donā€™t think Facebook page is active yet. Iā€™m sure it will be soon. Student government opens Facebook page once class list is 75% ish finalized. Youā€™ll get an email to western email when itā€™s open and how to join
Any chance you know How finalized the class is? I know in past years that most (if not all) people on the waitlist have gotten in.... is this year on track to have the same result?

Any chance you know How finalized the class is? I know in past years that most (if not all) people on the waitlist have gotten in.... is this year on track to have the same result?
I've talked to admissions and they said that this year there has been minimal waitlist movement. from my understanding, they are expecting to still be giving out waitlist acceptances until matriculation.

I've talked to admissions and they said that this year there has been minimal waitlist movement. from my understanding, they are expecting to still be giving out waitlist acceptances until matriculation.
Aghhh okay, thanks. Was admissions ok with giving you specifics on your situation (ie do you think itā€™s okay to call and ask about your standing)? Iā€™m currently enrolled at a school that starts a couple weeks earlier and itā€™s a cross country move. But comp nw is my dream school so trying to give myself the most time one to get pulled off the waitlist but not trying to rush the move if thereā€™s no chance to get it, you know?

• Care
Minimal movement so far, or they expect there to be minimal movement all together?

Aghhh okay, thanks. Was admissions ok with giving you specifics on your situation (ie do you think itā€™s okay to call and ask about your standing)? Iā€™m currently enrolled at a school that starts a couple weeks earlier and itā€™s a cross country move. But comp nw is my dream school so trying to give myself the most time one to get pulled off the waitlist but not trying to rush the move if thereā€™s no chance to get it, you know?
They didn't really give me info about my standing, but told me what I had said above. I expressed that I was very interested in joining the class and that I would give up my other seat if offered a seat at COMP. Then I got the acceptance call about a few days - one week after. I would definitely recommend that you reach out to them and express your interest, telling them specifically about your situation.

They didn't really give me info about my standing, but told me what I had said above. I expressed that I was very interested in joining the class and that I would give up my other seat if offered a seat at COMP. Then I got the acceptance call about a few days - one week after. I would definitely recommend that you reach out to them and express your interest, telling them specifically about your situation.
awesome, thanks! did you call Shauna?

I donā€™t have any idea, sorry

@current students:

perhaps this has been asked before, but what are the research opportunities like? What have students pursuing more competitive specialties been doing extracurricularly?

Thanks in advance :)
Pretty easy to get research at least my first year it was (obviously COVID may change things). We have a bench research lab and each faculty member has projects going, for example I have two studies and two case reports and I didnā€™t really work that hard to get them.

I do a lot but also not much either. President for a few clubs, teaching assistant, anatomy track, volunteering for covid testing. Thereā€™s a ton to get involved with if you want to. We match competitive specialities every year, itā€™s not really a big deal for us.

Pretty easy to get research at least my first year it was (obviously COVID may change things). We have a bench research lab and each faculty member has projects going, for example I have two studies and two case reports and I didnā€™t really work that hard to get them.

I do a lot but also not much either. President for a few clubs, teaching assistant, anatomy track, volunteering for covid testing. Thereā€™s a ton to get involved with if you want to. We match competitive specialities every year, itā€™s not really a big deal for us.
Thank you so much. Nailed all of my questions!

Congrats on your A! Were you accepted from the WL? If so, when did you interview and put on the WL?
Yes, accepted off the waitlist on May 7. Interviewed March 13 and waitlisted 4/6.

Reactions: 3 users