Western c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend!! :cat: I hope to meet some of you there!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend!! :cat: I hope to meet some of you there!

Which group are you in?? I'm in the morning one on Saturday!!

Reactions: 1 user
Which group are you in?? I'm in the morning one on Saturday!!
I'm in the afternoon - but my flight gets in at 9am, so I'll be wondering around in the area for a couple hours beforehand haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm new to SDN. I got an interview so far from Western and Midwestern and was wondering what everyone was using to prepare for the interviews? It's my first cycle so I haven't been through any interviews before :nailbiting:.

I'll see you people in the afternoon group Saturday!! Super nervous/excited about this whole experience.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I'll probably stay for the weekend honestly. Leave friday after class and come back sunday. I can at least use the extra time to creep around Pomona a bit. :p

I wish they gave us more time to prepare too! Its such an expensive flight plus my semester is crammed. I am lucky they gave me the option of my one free-ish weekend the whole semester. Don't know what I will do if I get any more interview invites! ...not like I would complain if I did lol.
Hi I'm in Florida also. Will hopefully be interviewing on the 12th!

Hi everyone! I'm new to SDN. I got an interview so far from Western and Midwestern and was wondering what everyone was using to prepare for the interviews? It's my first cycle so I haven't been through any interviews before :nailbiting:.
I believe SDN has old interview questions posted up somewhere, organized by school.

So so so nervous for the interview tomorrow!!! But also super excited! Hopefully I'll see some of you tomorrow morning:)

This may be an odd question, but what is everyone's opinion on asking an interviewer to clarify a question? I've been going through some of the past WesternU interview questions and some seem to be open to interpretation. Do you guys think it would be okay to ask for clarification in certain cases without looking foolish?

This may be an odd question, but what is everyone's opinion on asking an interviewer to clarify a question? I've been going through some of the past WesternU interview questions and some seem to be open to interpretation. Do you guys think it would be okay to ask for clarification in certain cases without looking foolish?
Yes absolutely! This is your interview and if you dont ask for clarification, dont expect them to do so as they would otherwise naturally assume you understood.

Hey guys! Looks like I am late to the party, but I am interviewing on Monday (Halloween). I'm dressing up as prospective veterinary student! See you guys there!:hurting::hurting:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody else not heard? In my email it said they are doing interviews through Nov. and Dec. Last year the last interview date was on November 6th..

Last interview date when I selected said nov 14th

Has anybody else not heard? In my email it said they are doing interviews through Nov. and Dec. Last year the last interview date was on November 6th..

I was there for my interview on Saturday and they said they only have six interview dates (Saturday's and Monday's for three weeks) so I think the last one will be November 14 but I'm not positive! They didn't say anything about if they've sent out all of their interview invites

I have to say, Western was probably not at the top of my list initially (not that I would reject admission anywhere lol) but I was really impressed with the tour and presentations today at my interview! The staff seems really devoted and the students we met seem primed for success. They touched on interview dates and I can confirm that the last interview will be the 14th.

I have to say, Western was probably not at the top of my list initially (not that I would reject admission anywhere lol) but I was really impressed with the tour and presentations today at my interview! The staff seems really devoted and the students we met seem primed for success. They touched on interview dates and I can confirm that the last interview will be the 14th.
I felt the same way, very impressed! Everyone was so friendly and welcoming! I really loved the mock PBL, it was really helpful in understanding the process, I'm glad they included that

I felt the same way, very impressed! Everyone was so friendly and welcoming! I really loved the mock PBL, it was really helpful in understanding the process, I'm glad they included that

Exactly! Having a lot of clinical experience, I didn't think such a "simple" case study for the mock PBL would show me how much I really don't know or understand yet. I like the idea of the "learning issues" and found myself asking questions about basic physiology/path/etc I haven't even considered yet.

So I am really interested in PBL especially after experiencing it but I'm afraid it might be too unstructured for me. I can't really wrap my head around the idea that there are no lectures. Shouldn't there be lectures to make sure that students are learning the right things and aren't going off on a tangent? It's just very sink or swim and I'm a bit uneasy about that.
I love western and the freedom they give you to pursue your interests there. I would definitely be interested in going if I get accepted. Plus the Daumier is super nice and I really wouldn't mind living there.

So I am really interested in PBL especially after experiencing it but I'm afraid it might be too unstructured for me. I can't really wrap my head around the idea that there are no lectures. Shouldn't there be lectures to make sure that students are learning the right things and aren't going off on a tangent? It's just very sink or swim and I'm a bit uneasy about that.
I love western and the freedom they give you to pursue your interests there. I would definitely be interested in going if I get accepted. Plus the Daumier is super nice and I really wouldn't mind living there.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, all of the pbl groups have a professor that guides you in the right direction. But I totally understand that not everyone learns that way! I'm really hoping I get in because I can't even imagine sitting in lectures all day every day!!

I would not recommend living at the Daumier. I lived there for two years and I'm still dealing with leftover business from moving out in May... My issues were frustrating but relatively minor compared to friends that also lived there. Also, I believe they're currently experiencing a mouse infestation -- at least according to the FB group. Not too great for a three year old building.

As far as PBL and the lack of lectures: you do get BSLs (apparently 2x a week now) so there is some form of structure although they can be kind of hit and miss. There's also grand rounds every Monday to address questions that came up during the previous week. As another member stated, there is a faculty member in charge of your session that's supposed to guide you. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. They do have "blue box" questions that are supposed to come up in the course of your discussion, or the facilitator is supposed to prompt discussion about them. Some facilitators completely disregard those questions, while others will just read them to you verbatim. You're right though, PBL is very sink or swim at the beginning but you absolutely get a handle on it. By the end of first year, I could attend the first PBL session and extract 90% of the learning issues and topics I was supposed to extract during that week.

I just got my invite for an interview today! I'm shooting to attend towards the last two sections, but I won't know which session I'll be going to until they get back to me. I absolutely love the PBL learning after I attended a preview day. I know I won't grab onto it immediately, but I'm very excited to try a new type of learning. Good luck to everyone with interviews!!

Just discovered SDN! Wish I would have learned about this site forever ago!! I'm interviewing tomorrow (5th) in the afternoon. Good Luck to everyone interviewing. I'm also from FL so it was quite a trip! (Saw some people were coming in from FL). Best of wishes!

I just had my interview and I really liked the school, but I'm nervous about the 3rd and 4th year rotations...traveling all the time? I have a dog and I wouldn't know what to do with her while I'm hopping from place to place for 10 months...does anyone have any more info on this??? I didn't get the chance to ask anyone.

I just had my interview and I really liked the school, but I'm nervous about the 3rd and 4th year rotations...traveling all the time? I have a dog and I wouldn't know what to do with her while I'm hopping from place to place for 10 months...does anyone have any more info on this??? I didn't get the chance to ask anyone.
So what kind of questions did they ask?

From what I've heard, you can typically pick places nearby that would work for you. The only place that I think you have to travel to is Nebraska for one of the third year rotations, so it's only two weeks! And your fourth year you get to tailor all the rotations to where and what you would like best, I think!

I would love to hear what others have to say on this as well! I had the very same concerns... I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and chickens... going out of town for extended periods of time is difficult to say the least!

Just got a confirmation for a interview on monday 11/14, very last minute but I hope to see some of you there. Any advise would be appreciated.

Just got a confirmation for a interview on monday 11/14, very last minute but I hope to see some of you there. Any advise would be appreciated.
Good luck. You'll be fine. It's a very relaxed interview and nothing to worry about. The faculty will all be extremely nice.

Good luck. You'll be fine. It's a very relaxed interview and nothing to worry about. The faculty will all be extremely nice.

Does anyone know if they have extended their interview dates? I heard they were going to possibly extend them through Nov. 28th.

Negative - they told us the 14th was the last interview date.

Pretty sure this is accurate. When I interviewed a couple of weeks back the little information package they gave us said the 14th was the last date. They're supposed to be sending out acceptances/rejections/waitlists by mid December so I can't imagine them adding two more weekends worth of interviews without throwing that way off.

Does anyone know if they have extended their interview dates? I heard they were going to possibly extend them through Nov. 28th.
I don't remember how far interviews extend, honestly. I'm not on campus anymore so I don't have any insider info. Your fellow interviewees would have a better idea.

I live in the Helix. It's an apartment much cheaper than the Daum and all utilities are included (just look it up and consider it if you get accepted). If you do get accepted at Western, make friends with someone else in whatever apartment you choose that has animals. Our neighbors offered to watch my dog and I watch theirs. Also, if you do get accepted, I could watch your dog your 3rd year as long as they are good with other dogs and I am available. I won't be here for your 4th year, but hopefully at that point you'll have met others that would be willing to help! Just an invitation to anyone who has animals really, I'll help you if you help me, we are all animal lovers :)

There are also places in LA that have long term boarding if you need it. It's called "South Park Doggie LAX" and it's in Inglewood.

Last edited:
I live in the Helix with my boyfriend. It's an apartment much cheaper than the Daum and all utilities are included (just look it up and consider it if you get accepted). If you do get accepted at Western, make friends with someone else in whatever apartment you choose that has animals. Our neighbors offered to watch my dog and I watch theirs. Also, if you do get accepted, I could watch your dog your 3rd year as long as they are good with other dogs and I am available. I won't be here for your 4th year, but hopefully at that point you'll have met others that would be willing to help! Just an invitation to anyone who has animals really, I'll help you if you help me, we are all animal lovers :)

There are also places in LA that have long term boarding if you need it. It's called "South Park Doggie LAX" and it's in Inglewood.
When I was looking at apartments, the Helix was "cheaper" than the Daum because of the amenities and the fact that the Helix's studios don't have full kitchens. My 1BR was $1275/month while the Helix studio was like $1100? Might be a different story if you're willing to have roommates, but I wasn't. Honestly, the cheapest housing solution will be renting a house with other people.

I live in the Helix with my boyfriend. It's an apartment much cheaper than the Daum and all utilities are included (just look it up and consider it if you get accepted). If you do get accepted at Western, make friends with someone else in whatever apartment you choose that has animals. Our neighbors offered to watch my dog and I watch theirs. Also, if you do get accepted, I could watch your dog your 3rd year as long as they are good with other dogs and I am available. I won't be here for your 4th year, but hopefully at that point you'll have met others that would be willing to help! Just an invitation to anyone who has animals really, I'll help you if you help me, we are all animal lovers :)

What would you suggest for someone who has four yorkies? Seems like all housing is two pet max.

When I was looking at apartments, the Helix was "cheaper" than the Daum because of the amenities and the fact that the Helix's studios don't have full kitchens. My 1BR was $1275/month while the Helix studio was like $1100? Might be a different story if you're willing to have roommates, but I wasn't. Honestly, the cheapest housing solution will be renting a house with other people.

Definitely, but most people in their freshman year choose to live in the apartments because they are so close. Plus most people don't know anyone yet so they wouldn't really have people they could live with. But definitely that would be the cheapest option.

What would you suggest for someone who has four yorkies? Seems like all housing is two pet max.

Look for a house. All the apartments (5 of them in the general area) around here have the two pet max, one doesn't even allow pets. If you get accepted there will be housing options on your banweb student portal, I'm not sure if you have access to this yet or not. People list houses and if they allow pets or not- if that doesn't work, I would look for a house solo or talk to someone on here who would be willing to split a 2 bedroom with you. You could always lie to an apartment too... I know that's so bad, but honestly unless they are coming into your house, they would never know you had 4. You'd just pay for 2 and then take them on potty breaks in groups of 2, you could always find someone to watch 2 of them if they ever came into your apartment though. Just a thought.

Definitely, but most people in their freshman year choose to live in the apartments because they are so close. Plus most people don't know anyone yet so they wouldn't really have people they could live with. But definitely that would be the cheapest option.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I lived in a house my first year and I'd say the majority of my classmates did so as well and even lived in houses all the way up until now and we're almost at the end-point. The completion of the Daumier may have altered that slightly, but I don't think not knowing people precludes anyone from renting a house with others. I didn't know any of my roommates until I actually moved in, and I'd say that's the same for a lot of people.

Regardless, there will be a lot of options on Banweb in that vein and you can pick what works best for you.

Hey Everyone! For those of us that interviewed - is anyone familiar with how many folks they waitlisted last year vs how far down the waitlist they went?

Hey Everyone! For those of us that interviewed - is anyone familiar with how many folks they waitlisted last year vs how far down the waitlist they went?

Have you heard you have been waitlisted or are you just preparing yourself? I am also curious!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have you heard you have been waitlisted or are you just preparing yourself? I am also curious!

Mental preparation :) I was sifting through the 2020 thread and it looks like roughly 25 people were taken off the waitlist of about 200 students. but not sure if thats the most accurate information.

Mental preparation :) I was sifting through the 2020 thread and it looks like roughly 25 people were taken off the waitlist of about 200 students. but not sure if thats the most accurate information.

Thanks for doing that research! Saves me later lol

They don't "go down the waitlist," the Dean picks the class and he looks at applicant's files to determine what would produce a class that works well together. That's also why they won't tell you your spot in the waitlist -- there really isn't one. I think about 5 people were pulled off the waitlist in my class.

They don't "go down the waitlist," the Dean picks the class and he looks at applicant's files to determine what would produce a class that works well together. That's also why they won't tell you your spot in the waitlist -- there really isn't one. I think about 5 people were pulled off the waitlist in my class.
This is super helpful, I appreciate it!

Anyone else just have a mini-heart attack at that "selection" email that just went out? I thought it was our actual admissions/rejection/waitlists notification :laugh:

Reactions: 8 users