Western c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone stay positive even though someone in this thread is being kind of negative. That person doesn't work at Western so they probably have no idea what they are talking about. Today is the day, I can't wait to see you all post your decisions! Good luck to you all :)
Are you talking about me? I'm a fourth year student at Western -- I've been through all of this before, and I have a pretty good idea of how my school works.

Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is that section of the portal is for AFTER they have informed us if we've been accepted or not. This is where we will accept or decline the invitation to enroll. Someone probably uploaded or activated that portion prematurely.
Probably. I don't remember how they had us accept or reject our decisions back when I was applying. I just hope the decisions remain consistent; I heard a story a few years ago about a school that sent out acceptances and then had to rescind them due to an error. I don't remember if that was a vet school or something else, but just seemed kind of crappy all the way around =/

Are you talking about me? I'm a fourth year student at Western -- I've been through all of this before, and I have a pretty good idea of how my school works.

Good luck to everyone.
I wasn't referring to you and yes, good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't referring to you and yes, good luck to everyone!
Good :) Made me worry I was coming off as overly negative, which vet school can totally do to you but would not be my intent in a hopeful c/o thread!

Reactions: 1 user
Good :) Made me worry I was coming off as overly negative, which vet school can totally do to you but would not be my intent in a hopeful c/o thread!
You're telling me! You seem very helpful, it's nice that they have someone in the program to kind of guide them.

Breathe, you got this! Is Western your first choice?

I'm from the east coast so it is definitely not my first choice, but I really just want to go to any school that would accept me :happy:

I'm from the east coast so it is definitely not my first choice, but I really just want to go to any school that would accept me :happy:

Good luck :) I really hope you get in, if not have a few to choose from!

Accepted! Congrats to everyone else, and those on the alternate list shouldn't lose hope -- I've heard there is a decent chance of getting a spot, even if it's last minute!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!

But my email said I'm being offered admission to Class of 2020?? o_O
I'm sure it's a typo, but.... Anyone else's email said that too?

Does anyone know how many alternate spots they give out?
We unfortunately do not release the number of alternates in the pool until after April 15th. This allows us to provide you with a more accurate number of those in the pool that have confirmed their interest. Last year we made offers to approximately 40 alternates to fill the class. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!

But my email said I'm being offered admission to Class of 2020?? o_O
I'm sure it's a typo, but.... Anyone else's email said that too?
We apologize for the typo and welcome you to the class of 2021. Congratulations and we look forward to having you return to our campus in August.

Alternate :( guess I was not good enough. Congrats to you guys who got accepted!!!

Alternate as well:( I'm pretty bummed, especially because I live super close to western so it would have been really nice. But I already got accepted to midwestern so it looks like I'll be accepting my seat there. Congrats to everyone who is accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
Alternate :( guess I was not good enough. Congrats to you guys who got accepted!!!
That's not what that means at all, don't lose hope :) You were good enough to not be rejected out of a group of people, keep your head high.

ACCEPTED :soexcited:

Does anyone know how many alternate spots they give out?
It changes year to year because it depends on how many people turn down their spots. I know we have at least one alternate in my class that ended up getting accepted at the beginning of orientation.

It changes year to year because it depends on how many people turn down their spots. I know we have at least one alternate in my class that ended up getting accepted at the beginning of orientation.
Wow that would really complicate moving/housing issues! Not to mention if you'd already started a job or classes somewhere...

It doesn't mean that AT ALL; especially at Western. As we all know, they take all the "qualified" candidates and then put them into categories of race, gender, etc...and make decisions to create diversity. Don't be too upset. THe alternate list does move.

So just to clarify... even if people decline the spots they were offered early/soon, alternates won't hear anything until, at the earliest, April?

So just to clarify... even if people decline the spots they were offered early/soon, alternates won't hear anything until, at the earliest, April?
That's how I understood it. I wish they could let us know earlier!!!

That's how I understood it. I wish they could let us know earlier!!!
The email does say that they offer more seats than the 105 they really have due to the common practice of applying to multiple schools. In the event that more people accept than there are seats, they said seats will be reserved based on a first-come first-served basis with the deposits. I'm assuming that may be why they wait until after the deadline in April?

Wow that would really complicate moving/housing issues! Not to mention if you'd already started a job or classes somewhere...
Yeah, makes things crazy. We had a guy in my class who left after the first day of orientation because he got into his IS at Penn. He'd already signed a lease and completely moved to SoCal. I shudder to think how much he paid to move back to the other coast! Then again, probably cheaper than the difference in tuition ;)

Omg I still haven't gotten an email...IS WESTERN SAVING REJECTIONS FOR LAST?! :bigtears:

Yeah, makes things crazy. We had a guy in my class who left after the first day of orientation because he got into his IS at Penn. He'd already signed a lease and completely moved to SoCal. I shudder to think how much he paid to move back to the other coast! Then again, probably cheaper than the difference in tuition ;)
That is insane!!!!! I can't even imagine!

Rejected :bigtears:, but CONGRATS to everyone that got accepted :soexcited:. Good luck with all of your future endeavors :);)

Probably. I don't remember how they had us accept or reject our decisions back when I was applying. I just hope the decisions remain consistent; I heard a story a few years ago about a school that sent out acceptances and then had to rescind them due to an error. I don't remember if that was a vet school or something else, but just seemed kind of crappy all the way around =/
It's happened to several schools but I think the biggest one was SUNY at Buffalo. I haven't heard of that happening at a vet school but there was a vet school that ended up with more students than they intended (I think not as many people declined as they expected). Can't remember which one that was. They didn't rescind the acceptances though.

It's happened to several schools but I think the biggest one was SUNY at Buffalo. I haven't heard of that happening at a vet school but there was a vet school that ended up with more students than they intended (I think not as many people declined as they expected). Can't remember which one that was. They didn't rescind the acceptances though.
You might be thinking of Illinois, they've got a really big first year class this year. I think like ~20 people more than normal.

That was it!

Ohio State accidentally over-accepted too. I don't know what their class size ended up being, but I think it was close to normal. They invited some OOS people to defer for a year, get a one-year master's for free, and then be IS for all four years! Pretty sweet deal.

Ohio State accidentally over-accepted too. I don't know what their class size ended up being, but I think it was close to normal. They invited some OOS people to defer for a year, get a one-year master's for free, and then be IS for all four years! Pretty sweet deal.

Yes, Ohio's 2020 class has 162 students.

Your guys' acceptance emails say 2020?!?! That's hilarious!!! Ours had the exact same mistake, they said 2019!!! :rofl:

Omg I still haven't gotten an email...IS WESTERN SAVING REJECTIONS FOR LAST?! :bigtears:
It's been my experience that they save wait list or rejection emails until the very end of their business day, probably so people can't call them until they've calmed down over the weekend

They offered over 221 people alternate spots last year. I believe they offer everyone who was interviewed but not accepted alternate seats, so that way they have plenty of people to choose from in the event they need more people (which they tend to go through quite a few alternates). I was offered a seat a WEEK before classes started last year, but was unable to get everything together in time

For those accepted, the email I received said that directions to access BanWeb were emailed "during the application process." Did anyone receive the directions for BanWeb, or did I miss it somehow even though I was being really careful to save everything?

They offered over 221 people alternate spots last year. I believe they offer everyone who was interviewed but not accepted alternate seats, so that way they have plenty of people to choose from in the event they need more people (which they tend to go through quite a few alternates). I was offered a seat a WEEK before classes started last year, but was unable to get everything together in time
Yes, that's correct.

Yikes! Well that doesn't make me feel better at all :arghh:

Yikes! Well that doesn't make me feel better at all :arghh:

Don't worry, I think they go through the waitlist very quickly. In the end, most people choose their IS or a less expensive school. A lot of people that apply to Western have also at least applied to several others, so most likely they have other options. Hang tight! Don't worry!

Don't worry, I think they go through the waitlist very quickly. In the end, most people choose their IS or a less expensive school. A lot of people that apply to Western have also at least applied to several others, so most likely they have other options. Hang tight! Don't worry!
Thanks :) I'm trying not to worry... just each rejection I get makes me a little more nervous...

We unfortunately do not release the number of alternates in the pool until after April 15th. This allows us to provide you with a more accurate number of those in the pool that have confirmed their interest. Last year we made offers to approximately 40 alternates to fill the class. Best of luck to you!
Thank you so much for sharing this information! We appreciate it as alternates :)