West Virginia school of medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TurknJD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got off the waitlist for West Virginia School of medicine. I also have an acceptance at a DO school that i really like (nova). I understand the MD and DO difference, but i also want to go to a school that i will enjoy for the next few years. Can any students chime in on West virginia? How are the classes? How are the other students? how is the learning environment? Any information would be greatly helpful! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that it is a pretty good program. Match list isn't bad (if your into checking those things out). Anecdote: an old classmate of mine goes there and enjoys it.

[Overall it's not a "top 20", but is still solid].

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input Frazier. Do you have any particulars of the school that your old classmate can attest to? My biggest thing is the location and the weather of the location kind of holding me back.

Catalystik- I tried searching but could not find too much information for some reason. I looked old threads and searched for it. Even their class threads are very minimal.

Thanks for your help guys, any other info is greatly appreciated!

My biggest thing is the location and the weather of the location kind of holding me back.

The location and weather? What area are you coming from? Morgantown has generally mild winters but usually gets several inches of snow during winter. Most of the time they keep roads pretty clear but if you have never driven in snow you might look for an apartment within walking distance. Summer heat may tip 100 degrees at times but often comfortable 70's-80's.

Thirty years ago when I was there we were the #1 party school.
cheerleader.gif

Traffic on football Saturdays is something to be avoided.

WV has its own attractions such as skiing, white water rafting, and if you are adventurous bungee jumping off the New River Bridge.

He said that his cohort (and those before his) are pretty social and friendly. Plenty of activities (formals, parties, etc.)

He said exams basically suck [but what's new there?].

He said that the sport seasons are pretty intense on campus (I assume bball and football).

He said morgantown is a typical college town with good areas/housing and other areas that are dirty/nasty.

He said winters aren't too bad, but can be a little hectic if your car doesn't have 4WD (or AWD). If you have experience with driving in winter conditions, then a regular car with snow tires will suffice.

He said that the grading is along the HP/P/F format. The student body isn't cut-throat. People don't have problems matching into specialties. Step1 scores depend on how much prep you do for it.

He said that if you like "outdoor activities" (read: skiing, rafting, boating, fishing, camping, hunting, hiking, biking, snowboarding, rock climbing, picnic, etc) then WV will be almost heaven.

He said the student recreation center is quite wonderful.

He said the med facilities are nice.

He said plenty of bars/clubs and underclass girls that will be woo'd that your a med student. :D

Does anyone know if professors post all notes before hand, or give out packets before class starts?

Status
Not open for further replies.