Wayne State University part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this description of the DMC-WSU squabble on another site. Based on my knowledge and from what I've been able to gather, this is the most informed, detailed, and explicit description I have heard of.

thanks for the update. may i ask what site you got this from?

Members don't see this ad.

I found this description of the DMC-WSU squabble on another site. Based on my knowledge and from what I've been able to gather, this is the most informed, detailed, and explicit description I have heard of.

Has anyone else on this forum rotating through DMC heard anything on this other than what has been emailed to us or covered on the news? I've done a rotation at Sinai-Grace (a DMC hospital) and didn't hear anything about updates or concern during that time.

Initial reaction: let the two sides hang each other. It will be the perfect ending for our very rocky (to say the least) med school years. Let's hope Ford and the suburb hospitals welcome the larger number of us going to them with open arms.

And thanks for the update, ddmo.

Has anyone else on this forum rotating through DMC heard anything on this other than what has been emailed to us or covered on the news? I've done a rotation at Sinai-Grace (a DMC hospital) and didn't hear anything about updates or concern during that time.

Initial reaction: let the two sides hang each other. It will be the perfect ending for our very rocky (to say the least) med school years. Let's hope Ford and the suburb hospitals welcome the larger number of us going to them with open arms.

And thanks for the update, ddmo.

does anyone know the website where the old exams are for path, pharm, and psych? the ones i have bookmarked from last year aren't working!

Members don't see this ad :)
why are they having weener do these lectures? these are horrible... why are we being punished?

why are they having weener do these lectures? these are horrible... why are we being punished?

I skipped every one of his lectures after that first painful day. It wasn't even worth streaming from home 'cuz I was just falling asleep in front of the 'puter. Pathbio sux @$$.

Skip the lectures, read the notes. The section in BRS Path is really good.

Second year is all about not being afraid to say screw it if a lecture sucks, and go do something more productive. It is possible to honor just about any test soley based on the notes.

It was the worst year of my life.

That being said, you'd be amazed how the most obscure crap comes up all the time. Just do your best to learn as much as possible, and remember that this too shall pass.

Skip the lectures, read the notes. The section in BRS Path is really good.

Second year is all about not being afraid to say screw it if a lecture sucks, and go do something more productive. It is possible to honor just about any test soley based on the notes.

It was the worst year of my life.

That being said, you'd be amazed how the most obscure crap comes up all the time. Just do your best to learn as much as possible, and remember that this too shall pass.

so it sounds as if weiner won't be back this year. he slipped and broke his hip.... in case you didnt watch today's lecture, i thought i would let all you know.

Oh dear..... That really is sad about Weiner! (seriously, no sarcasm intended) I don't wish anyone ill will.... I fell like the Karma police will be after me, since I complained loudly about his lectures to friends.....

So, who will be leaving their house on Friday for the rally?

anybody have the new edition of brs path for sale?

I have one I could sell you. It has some highlighting. Second edition. Message me if you're interested....

Hi every one. I'm currently a 4th year biology major at WSU and Here is my situation: I have a 3.63 overall G.P.A. and 3.50 Science G.P.A. ( I did bad on my first year but in the last two years I had a 4.00 g.p.a). I took the April 2006 MCAT and score very low (25N, 9P, 7V, 9B) and I decided to retake the August mcat. I just got my score yesterday and it was very disappointing, again 25O (8P, 7V, 10B). I did great EC activities and I have been working on a research project with the WSU medical school for the past two years. Every thing in my resume is great except for the mcat. I haven't applied yet. I need your advice. Can you really get into WSU SOM with a 25 (I'm not a minority)? do you know personally some body who got in with a 25. Most people I know in WSU got 25 or 26. Should I apply, should I wait another year, and if I take another year should I do a post bac. or a master?
thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I apply, should I wait another year, and if I take another year should I do a post bac. or a master?
thank you

If you wait a year to apply what will change for the better with your application?

If you end up taking a year off there are other things you can consider doing - traveling, getting a job, volunteering (peace corps, teach america), etc.

The answer of the question of what to do with a year off really depends on what you plan on doing if you decide not to go to med school (or all the schools that you apply to make that decision for you).

I personally only recommend a masters or post bac if it will be helpful down the road of life. Which is exactly why I didn't do WSU's BMS program (I couldn't see the long term return of a masters in premed - if I ended up never getting into med school).
Instead I worked and looked for a masters program that could be used as a springboard into the research world or industry. Others have spent that time working in EMS or various positions in various hospitals or labs.

I would say go ahead and apply. What could it hurt? WSU-SOM does like taking its own students. You already have your foot in the door with research and if doesn't work out then you can focus on improving your application. Your MCAT is a slight disadvantage considering I think the average MCAT for this year's freshman class was a little over 29, but remember it is only one part of your application. Personally, I think WSU is very understanding and they tend to look at the whole student instead of a few numbers. Good luck.

I know someone (non-minority) who had a 4.0gpa, tons of EC's, research, the works, but got a 24 on the MCAT and didn't even receive an invite from Wayne. This person is now at the top of their class at another med school, which makes me think that he/she missed an MCAT cut-off for Wayne.

If you know people with 25s and 26s, then maybe 25 is the cut-off and with your history of working with the med school you'll be ok.

I would say go ahead and apply. What could it hurt? WSU-SOM does like taking its own students. You already have your foot in the door with research and if doesn't work out then you can focus on improving your application. Your MCAT is a slight disadvantage considering I think the average MCAT for this year's freshman class was a little over 29, but remember it is only one part of your application. Personally, I think WSU is very understanding and they tend to look at the whole student instead of a few numbers. Good luck.

thank you all for your replies. But is it too late to apply. I know the deadline is dec. 15 for wayne but it seemed like i'm the only one who did not apply yet. I dn't know if I will do better next time i take the mcat. I really can't do standarized tests. I had 4.0 gpa in high school but did bad on the ACT, but I received full tution scholarship and that's why I chose to come to wayne.

I know someone (non-minority) who had a 4.0gpa, tons of EC's, research, the works, but got a 24 on the MCAT and didn't even receive an invite from Wayne. This person is now at the top of their class at another med school, which makes me think that he/she missed an MCAT cut-off for Wayne.

If you know people with 25s and 26s, then maybe 25 is the cut-off and with your history of working with the med school you'll be ok.

I don't really know the cutoff for mcat. I did ask Dawn street what was the lowest mcat score they accepted last year and she said it was 24. But that person had outstanding EC activities. People I know in wayne with 25 and 26 are applying this year so they are on the same boat as I am. I tried to talk with some of the med students at wayne now, but I feel they are not being very honest about their MCAT scores ( always 32 or 35)

I don't really know the cutoff for mcat. I did ask Dawn street what was the lowest mcat score they accepted last year and she said it was 24. But that person had outstanding EC activities. People I know in wayne with 25 and 26 are applying this year so they are on the same boat as I am. I tried to talk with some of the med students at wayne now, but I feel they are not being very honest about their MCAT scores ( always 32 or 35)

The average mcat was 29, that means half the people at wayne were above and half below. There are a good number of people who scored between 30-35. I would not automatically discredit the chance they are telling the truth. Most of my close friends here scored between 30-35, but maybe this is because most of my friends are gunners.

You have a chance, but you should really try and improve your MCAT. The MCAT requries a mastery of the basic sciences from the first 2 years of college. I would say the fact that you didn't do so hot the first year is part of the problem. You may want to look into taking a kaplan or princeton review course and taking the MCAT again in April. Make sure you take a lot of practice exams and do lots of questions.

You could apply this year, but it is late. It may just be a waste of money. If you have the money to spend, go for it. Apply just to see what happens and to get a feel for the interview process. Don't forget, you could also apply to DO schools. Several of the people I went to undergrad with who scored less than 26, but had good GPAs got into MSUCOM without a problem.

I dn't know if I will do better next time i take the mcat. I really can't do standarized tests.

Hate to burst your bubble, but you may want to consider another career. If you can't do standardized tests, save yourself the $$, headache, and heartache of applying, medical exams and training. The exams here, particularly the USMLE Step 1, make the MCAT look like the MKitten. Plus, they write the MCAT to be predictive of the USMLE scores you can expect. Choose a different rewarding career, settle in, and enjoy the next ten years of your life.

I definately disagree with Deowolf. Really, your MCAT score is fine with the exception of that verbal. The verbal score isn't that important when you relate it to the rest of med school. Your BS and PS are fine and also demonstrate that you'll be fine in Med school. So dn't give up if this is really what you want to do.

I second the suggestion of applying to MSUCOM. Its a great school and the admissions office likes to look at the entire package, not just the MCAT score. But, do lots of volunteering during your time off, MSUCOM is puts alot of emphasis on that. but you probably still have a shot at Wayne. Just apply early next year and you'l be fine.

The average mcat was 29, that means half the people at wayne were above and half below. There are a good number of people who scored between 30-35. I would not automatically discredit the chance they are telling the truth.

Keep in mind that the trend is for the average MCAT score to increase each year. Way back when, when I started the application process at WSU their average MCAT was closer to a 27.

I have to agree with fun8stuff, once people have been accepted to a med school there is really no incentive for them to embellish what their MCAT score was. So you might just be suffering from a case of sampling error.
If you have the $ to spend I doubt that there is any harm in getting an application in this year. But with your numbers (especially that MCAT) you might be better off to take a year off and get your application submitted substantially earlier in the cycle next year.

Keep in mind that regardless of what some around here might say that getting into DO schools is also a competitive process; so don't think that it is a gimme.

IMHO you might be better served by taking a year off and working on your standardized test taking skills. As deowolf implied med school (at least at WSU) – especially during the first two years - is all about how well you handle standardized tests.

Other thing to keep in mind, isn't there a cap on the number of times that you can take the MCAT? I thought that if you wanted to take it more than 3 times you had to get specially permission. If so, don't retake it in May unless you have spent some serious time working on the various issues that have resulted in your disappointing scores on the previous two attempts.

Anybody want to buy a copy of the "Essentials of Surgical Subspecialties" book? I'm starting my surgery rotation soon and I thought I was buying the general surgery book. I am not planning on going into anything surgical or doing any surgical electives, so I will most likely not read this book at all. If anyone is interested in purchasing this book from me, please send me a message!

Anybody want to buy a copy of the "Essentials of Surgical Subspecialties" book? I'm starting my surgery rotation soon and I thought I was buying the general surgery book. I am not planning on going into anything surgical or doing any surgical electives, so I will most likely not read this book at all. If anyone is interested in purchasing this book from me, please send me a message!

Katrina,
What is the ISBN#? I can't find it in amazon.

hey what's up guys... sorry to bother you again. I'm a late applicant, and through many family friends I heard that Wayne St. is the best school I should go to if I want to stay in SE Michigan. I have a peculiar application though, with about a 3.0 GPA and a 38 MCAT. I've been slightly involved with things in Detroit (Hamtramack) and the Polish population in the state. I think I'm a great fit for this school, and I'm still writing my PS, so if you guys can give me any tips on how to direct it towards WSU admissions, that would be great...

Just so you guys now, (before I thought you were talking **** about the school) but reading through your backlogs I think the school will be a perfect fit for me :thumbup:

Any help will be kindly appreciated... post here or PM me :)

hey what's up guys... sorry to bother you again. I'm a late applicant, and through many family friends I heard that Wayne St. is the best school I should go to if I want to stay in SE Michigan. I have a peculiar application though, with about a 3.0 GPA and a 38 MCAT. I've been slightly involved with things in Detroit (Hamtramack) and the Polish population in the state. I think I'm a great fit for this school, and I'm still writing my PS, so if you guys can give me any tips on how to direct it towards WSU admissions, that would be great...

Just so you guys now, (before I thought you were talking **** about the school) but reading through your backlogs I think the school will be a perfect fit for me :thumbup:

Any help will be kindly appreciated... post here or PM me :)

Wayne prides itself on its clinical training, multiple hospitals, and on being the largest medical school in the nation. Do some research on the wayne website and talk about these things in the interview. If a basic science professor interiews you, talk about your research if you have it. Also talk about helping and serving underserved populations, if these are true for you.

Your mcat is in the range where you would probably receive full to half tuition scholarship, but i am not sure about your GPA. I do not know if wayne has a gpa cut off for screening or interviews. You could always email someone from admissions and ask them directly. Also, express interest in the email so that if there is a cut off, they will probably make an exception.

For your PS, write it like a normal PS. Use some creativity to convey why you want to go to medicine and what you have done to prepare yourself, test the decision, etc. You don't want to simply say that you like helping people... but you want to convey this by talking about experiences that demonstrate that you like helping people and serveing the underserved... Has serving in the polish or other underserved community made you want to go into medicine? Mention the experience.

You don't want to simply say you like the scienceo of medicine, but you shoudl write about experiences that convey this. Have you done research? Talk about it. Read the wayne mission statement from the website and just make sure your theme conveys that you agree with the mission.

Do this with all the essays and you should be ok. good luck..

Done with Internal Medicine for life... boo ya!

After tomorrow I'm done with psych for life... unless you count dealing with crazy relatives.

haha. thanks for the email regarding the diagnostic kit. I just nabbed one on ebay... lot better than shelling out $800 for what wayne wanted us to get.

so when do you take the shelf? have you felt prepared for the shelf exams so far?

I took it at 8am this morning. I've felt pretty well prepared. The hardest one so far was neuro. Haven't got that grade back yet...

Haven't got that grade back yet...

Nor will you anytime soon. And it will be even longer until you get your psych scores (still haven't gotten my psych evals - from August) --- the numbers (shelf performance) and overall grades from July/August have been made available for psych but the written evals are still pending.

Nor will you anytime soon. And it will be even longer until you get your psych scores (still haven't gotten my psych evals - from August) --- the numbers (shelf performance) and overall grades from July/August have been made available for psych but the written evals are still pending.

At this rate, we'll get our July/August grades by Christmas, the rest from the first half of the year by the end of year III, and the grades from the second half by the time we match.

At this rate, we'll get our July/August grades by Christmas, the rest from the first half of the year by the end of year III, and the grades from the second half by the time we match.

I thought that OB/GYN already posted scores and evals for July/August.

I figured that it as mainly a problem with psych and neuro - but especially pysch (probably due to all the extra crap that you have to deal with during that rotation - I really hated those Sat. AM lectures).

I thought that OB/GYN already posted scores and evals for July/August.

I figured that it as mainly a problem with psych and neuro - but especially pysch (probably due to all the extra crap that you have to deal with during that rotation - I really hated those Sat. AM lectures).

lectures? what? you mean there are still lectures 3rd year?!:scared:

lectures? what? you mean there are still lectures 3rd year?!:scared:

Third year is very different; but there are still lectures, just not every day. Rounds and Grand Rounds are lectures for the residents and med students. There are also various assignments and presentations that we have to do, depending on rotation and site. So, different.

Third year is very different; but there are still lectures, just not every day. Rounds and Grand Rounds are lectures for the residents and med students. There are also various assignments and presentations that we have to do, depending on rotation and site. So, different.
different good or different bad
?

yes?! what kind of answer is that?!:eek:

The great thing about lectures third year is that they are mandatory and pretty much every bit as boring as you're already used to. I usually used those times to study for the shelf exams if it could do it discreetly. Most of my rotations have had "didactics" once a week where the residents give lectures on topics relevant to their field. Some of these lectures were interesting, some were horribly dull. There are also the fun lectures that Wayne requires you to attend downtown every week with the whole group.

are the psych drugs on the psych exam or pharm exam? i have people telling me both ways.

also, on the logistics email, regarding the psych exam, it says 15 questions on behavior medicine and 50 questions for psych 1. what is the difference?

i thought i remember hearing that there would be 15 psych pharm questions on the psych exam...

are the psych drugs on the psych exam or pharm exam? i have people telling me both ways.

also, on the logistics email, regarding the psych exam, it says 15 questions on behavior medicine and 50 questions for psych 1. what is the difference?

i thought i remember hearing that there would be 15 psych pharm questions on the psych exam...

Hey - the psych drugs are on the psych test - hope this helped :laugh:

Hey - the psych drugs are on the psych test - hope this helped :laugh:

yah, a lot of help this does 3.5 hrs after the exam. ha ha. but thanks though, i called someone lastnight to find out! ...at least they weren't as hard as they could have been.

yah, a lot of help this does 3.5 hrs after the exam. ha ha. but thanks though, i called someone lastnight to find out! ...at least they weren't as hard as they could have been.

so what did everyone think of the exams? i think i messed up a few on the last pharm exam... oh well. i already realized one i messed up on psych...

so what did everyone think of the exams? i think i messed up a few on the last pharm exam... oh well. i already realized one i messed up on psych...

Well, I thought Psych was fair, but harder than the practice exams... I'm annoyed about not knowing exactly what (and how many questions) were going to be on the pharm portion of Psych.... Mattingly and Yamazaki's bit was MUCH easier than the practice exams thank god.... I really don't know the differance between millions, billions, or gazillions, so that Q pissed me off. Terrible question. No educational value in it, although I think I got it right..
all in all, not bad. I don't want to study any more though!

Status
Not open for further replies.